Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:26 AM

Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria (5924 Views)

Pls Help, My Pocket Is Drained Cos Of Wrong Diagnosis From My Mechanic / Pilot 1 Auto Diagnostics."the Solution To Your Car Problems " / On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by kYjelly2: 9:34am On Feb 25, 2017
I had been battling an overheating problem for over a year and didn't know how to solve the problem.

The overheating only occurred when the AC was switched on like 95% of the time, the other times, it happened when i was revving the car at high RPMS (speeding tins), like bet 5000-6000 RPM.

The history was, i had taken out the thermostat, fixed all leaks, bought a used Radiator***, switched out regular water for high quality premixed coolant.

Now the funny thing is, I took this car to Total close to Palms mall, Total off Lekki Epe, took it some kazeems, took it to Elizade and they all said that I needed to change my Head Gasket.

I told all of them that through my research on the internet, my car possess no signs of a failed head gasket. Though I understood that sometimes signs like water in the oil pan and excessive smoke billowing from the exhaust might not show immediately, but I was still very reluctant to believe that I could have blown a head gasket without any signs whatsoever.

So all of them wanted to change my gasket, I even got a quote for 20k (all inclusive) to change it and I started to wonder; like, what kind of gasket is this guy going to put in my car for 20k

Funny thing is, I know how precise those things need to be. I have seen videos of guys machining cylinder heads so meticulously, just to get a perfect seal with the gasket and i started to wonder again, if these guys will take all that sweet time on my car to do a good job.

Fast forward to later, my sister told me to go see her Mechanic ( a Lebanese guy) and the guy agreed with me that the AC condenser was causing the car to get too hot and it was either the AC system was too hot or the radiator wasn't dropping enough heat from the vehicle.

***remember when I said I got a used radiator Bad move angry

So he advised that I switch out the Radiator for a Brand New one and switch out the condenser as well, flushed the AC system, adjusted gas and voila!!!!

Car runs super duper cool, like... it doesn't even get to operating temp again due to the fact that one of the kazeems removed the thermostat before undecided

anyway, it's that cool. Now before i put the thermostat back, i use the AC to warm up the car to operating temp, sort of like what a thermostat would have don, sigh!

Can u imagine that I would now have opened my engine to change my original Toyota gasket, for some 20k gasket

God is really merciful, I tell you.

By now I would have been swimming in a WHOLE NEW SET OF PROBLEMS embarassed

It's just sad how up to 5 mechanics i went to all missed the diagnostics.

8 Likes

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by DaimlerBen(m): 12:53pm On Feb 25, 2017
These days, it pays to get a second, third, fourth and even fifth opinion.

1 Like

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by aieromon(m): 3:11pm On Feb 25, 2017
I beg you to replace the thermostat and return to default factory settings.

You're putting too much pressure on the engine at startup and that load does not perform the function of a thermostat.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by kYjelly2: 6:22pm On Feb 25, 2017
aieromon:
I beg you to replace the thermostat and return to default factory settings.

You're putting too much pressure on the engine at startup and that load does not perform the function of a thermostat.

Thanks for the tip, intend to do that with some other work by end of March.

Till then, I will try my best to avoid driving or revving it cold.
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:29pm On Feb 25, 2017
kYjelly2:
I had been battling an overheating problem for over a year and didn't know how to solve the problem.

The overheating only occurred when the AC was switched on like 95% of the time, the other times, it happened when i was revving the car at high RPMS (speeding tins), like bet 5000-6000 RPM.

The history was, i had taken out the thermostat, fixed all leaks, bought a used Radiator***, switched out regular water for high quality premixed coolant.

Now the funny thing is, I took this car to Total close to Palms mall, Total off Lekki Epe, took it some kazeems, took it to Elizade and they all said that I needed to change my Head Gasket.

I told all of them that through my research on the internet, my car possess no signs of a failed head gasket. Though I understood that sometimes signs like water in the oil pan and excessive smoke billowing from the exhaust might not show immediately, but I was still very reluctant to believe that I could have blown a head gasket without any signs whatsoever.

So all of them wanted to change my gasket, I even got a quote for 20k (all inclusive) to change it and I started to wonder; like, what kind of gasket is this guy going to put in my car for 20k

Funny thing is, I know how precise those things need to be. I have seen videos of guys machining cylinder heads so meticulously, just to get a perfect seal with the gasket and i started to wonder again, if these guys will take all that sweet time on my car to do a good job.

Fast forward to later, my sister told me to go see her Mechanic ( a Lebanese guy) and the guy agreed with me that the AC condenser was causing the car to get too hot and it was either the AC system was too hot or the radiator wasn't dropping enough heat from the vehicle.

So he advised that I switch out the Radiator for a Brand New one and switch out the condenser as well, flushed the AC system, adjusted gas and voila!!!!

Car runs super duper cool, like... it doesn't even get to operating temp again due to the fact that one of the kazeems removed the thermostat before undecided

anyway, it's that cool. Now before i put the thermostat back, i use the AC to warm up the car to operating temp, sort of like what a thermostat would have don, sigh!

Can u imagine that I would now have opened my engine to change my original Toyota gasket, for some 20k gasket

You should consider sharing the details of this mechanic.

We need to support the good guys and banish the bad ones to oblivion.

PS: The decision to change a head gasket can be made scientifically by specific tests.

1 Like

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by airlord2020: 12:25pm On Feb 26, 2017
Problem of wrong diagnosis is due to the fact that a lot of auto technicians are not trained. There is no regulation too. Anyone can get some crude set of tools and start fixing cars.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by Kjnwancaro: 4:15pm On Feb 26, 2017
Thanks for sharing. I know someone with exactly this problem he drives a Camry 03.

Please what the mechos details

2 Likes

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by mecheal365: 10:53am On Feb 28, 2017
eecheal excels limited offers a professional services for: accidental car repairs, engine repair, car wash services, car painting(Oven baking)
vehicle branding, electrical/air condition repairs, vehicle maintenance, auto computerized diagnostics and visual inspection, Alignment and balancing, auto tracking services etc. and our products are:
1. Original spare parts
2. Tyre's of all brands
3. Synthetic engine oil
4. Auto accessories
5. Batteries etc

Meecheal excels limited auto care centre is architecturally design to contain over 300 vehicles, we assure safety of our customer vehicle upon every task within the workshop environment with the use of electronic security camera cctv and man power security. kindly call 08026999465 or 08068857988, you can visit our website at www.meechealexcels.com for more inquiries.
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by boldx(m): 1:47pm On Feb 28, 2017
The solution to the issue though its solved is in the original post. Your car overheated ONLY when d A/c was switched on. So the problem was with the air conditioning system.
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by MPVGoddess: 1:54pm On Feb 28, 2017
boldx:
The solution to the issue though its solved is in the original post. Your car overheated ONLY when d A/c was switched on. So the problem was with the air conditioning system.

Could be both - a used radiator is a big NO NO.

Better use a new double cell (Nigeria speak) or double panel ( normal speak) radiator than a used single panel radiator!

That is not to say that the A/C system was not at fault.

As to the issue at hand - there is methodical learning and there is haphazard learning. Auto technicians in Nigeria learn by the later rather than the former in the majority of the cases. So they don't tend to understand at the atomic level how systems interrelate and inter depend and this shows up in their diagnosis and troubleshooting.

2 Likes

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by Najm(m): 12:05am On Mar 01, 2017
EgunMogaji:

You should consider sharing the details of this mechanic.

We need to support the good guys and banish the bad ones to oblivion.

PS: The decision to change a head gasket can be made scientifically by specific tests.

So does the car now run without a thermostat?
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:08am On Mar 01, 2017
i have been a victim
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:09am On Mar 01, 2017
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:18am On Mar 01, 2017
wrong diagnostics and mechanics are 5&6.

1 Like

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by hedgesfun(m): 7:22am On Mar 01, 2017
The saddest part of this story is that it takes a foreigner to solve such a little problem, and we will continue to say they re dominating our country. How will they not when we are just loads on incompetent people.
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by seuneniola(m): 7:28am On Mar 01, 2017
Kindly share the contact of the Lebanese guy. Cos have been having unresolved problems with my hyundai jeep.

kYjelly2:

The history was, i had taken out the thermostat, fixed all leaks, bought a used Radiator***, switched out regular

water for high quality premixed coolant.

1 Like

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by Manozi: 7:29am On Mar 01, 2017
kYjelly2:

. Could you please share the details of the mechanic? I have a similar situation

1 Like

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by chronique(m): 7:39am On Mar 01, 2017
What was your reason for taking out the thermostat in the first place? I don't like anybody that likes to tamper with vehicle parts, and likes to remove parts that came with the vehicle. Every single item that comes with a car, has a very important function; stop tampering with vehicle parts. Next time, get your self and OBD2 car scanner and scan your car yourself. It would reveal error codes to you, and tell you what is wrong with your car. It's better than all these try and error system.
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by goldman777: 7:39am On Mar 01, 2017
kYjelly2:

Please give me the Lebanese's mans number
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by pragmatistm(m): 7:45am On Mar 01, 2017
kYjelly2:

You have been warned severally not to remove the thermostat but many of you still listen to the ignorant Kazeems who say otherwise. Haba, removing the thermostat may be the genesis of the whole problems. In fact, removing it causes more fuel consumption and shortens engine life.

1 Like

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by megareal: 7:53am On Mar 01, 2017
That's how hubby was running around between Nov to Jan this year trying to solve his overheating problem. Thay gave him different diagnosis and he kept spending until he got tired.

He finally went online and thoroughly researched the problem himself. Called all his mechanics and schooled them. Na so, N3,500 part take solve problem which he'd spent over 150k on.

Trust Nigerian mechanics to your own peril. Even 5 opinions can still be wrong and the so called diagnostics can also be wrong. I wonder if they all went to the same school of stupidity where they refuse to learn beyond what they are told.

5 Likes

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by sakalisis(m): 8:00am On Mar 01, 2017
Ok
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by lonelydora: 8:14am On Mar 01, 2017
Op, I have been having same issues with my car. Car temperature rises whenever on the highway with a/c on, but doesn't overheat.

Series of good diagnosis pointed to a blocked/faulty condenser which I haven't changed shaa.

Edited: All the people saying Nigerian mechanics are dumb should please, always visit Car talk section and see the wonders qualified Nigerian mechanics are doing. There is a difference between a kazeem and a qualified mechanic

1 Like

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by lonelydora: 8:18am On Mar 01, 2017
kYjelly2:

Thanks for the tip, intend to do that with some other work by end of March.

Till then, I will try my best to avoid driving or revving it cold.

I pray you don't cause another problem while waiting for salary March ending.

2 Likes

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by LeJeun3: 8:26am On Mar 01, 2017

Ohkay!

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by smithval(m): 8:42am On Mar 01, 2017
This is a good research topic... Where are the academics in the house. Do a study and publish... Lol
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by postemail: 9:05am On Mar 01, 2017
hedgesfun:
The saddest part of this story is that it takes a foreigner to solve such a little problem, and we will continue to say they re dominating our country. How will they not when we are just loads on incompetent people.

True that. You see it everywhere, half-baked technicians

1 Like

Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by postemail: 9:07am On Mar 01, 2017
lonelydora:
Op, I have been having same issues with my car. Car temperature rises whenever on the highway with a/c on, but doesn't overheat.

Series of good diagnosis pointed to a blocked/faulty condenser which I haven't changed shaa.

Did "changing condenser" solve your temperature issues?
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by desmond249(m): 9:20am On Mar 01, 2017
We deal in auto diagnostic equipment. car scanners,key programmers,ecu programmers,car trackers etc.
www.masquest.net
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by buckdudebuck: 9:52am On Mar 01, 2017
MPVGoddess:

Could be both - a used radiator is a big NO NO.

Better use a new double cell (Nigeria speak) or double panel ( normal speak) radiator than a used single panel radiator!

That is not to say that the A/C system was not at fault.

As to the issue at hand - there is methodical learning and there is haphazard learning. Auto technicians in Nigeria learn by the later rather than the former in the majority of the cases. So they don't tend to understand at the atomic level how systems interrelate and inter depend and this shows up in their diagnosis and troubleshooting.
if your car came with a single cell radiator. Give a single cell radiator, not a double cell one, by doing so you have masked the original problem thereby signing the death warrant of your engine. The problem is with your AC system not the engine cooling system. Did you also check the fans, because that is their jobs and they ain't doing nothing about it.
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by lonelydora: 9:58am On Mar 01, 2017
postemail:

Did "changing condenser" solve your temperature issues?

I'm yet to change it.
Re: Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria by MPVGoddess: 10:18am On Mar 01, 2017
buckdudebuck:
if your car came with a single cell radiator. Give a single cell radiator, not a double cell one, by doing so you have masked the original problem thereby signing the death warrant of your engine. The problem is with your AC system not the engine cooling system. Did you also check the fans, because that is their jobs and they ain't doing nothing about it.

I said used radiator is a big NO-NO.

You can look up the reasons online.

I also said because very few dealers import single panel radiators, car owner who cannot afford to self-import a brand new single panel radiator (because it is non-existent in the market) should buy what he sees - a brand new double panel radiator and not a used single panel radiator in the name of staying true to the original design.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? / Anti Pollution Fault On 307 2004 Model HELP!!! / Awesome Reasons You Should Buy A Bmw In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.