Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,241 members, 7,807,819 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:49 PM

How To Spot That Scammer - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Spot That Scammer (421 Views)

Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning / Powerful Techniques You Can Use To Spot Hot In Demand Product That Sell / How To Spot An Expensive or fake Gold (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Spot That Scammer by baroman100: 7:25pm On Feb 25, 2017
Alright, so I've been PM'd by a few people what red-flags to look out for since I have a pretty good track record of spotting scammers. Sometimes I get it wrong, but better safe than sorry. Anyway, watch out for the typical behavior from scammers who will usually fit at least two or three (and sometimes even more) of the following characteristics:

0. Newbies, NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH OTHER NEWBIES, EVER. There are plenty of veteran members to do business with and ALWAYS use escrow. If you're a newbie you're doing business with another newbie, there's a 100% chance that you will get scammed (or you're a scammer yourself).
1. New account (usually created within the last 3 months, plus or minus)
2. Low-medium message count with vapid posts of little to no contributory value
3. Use of a seemingly realistic first/last name as their forum account name
4. Signs posts with full name
5. Straight out of Newbie mode right into Lending (requesting a loan of course)
6. Straight out of Newbie mode right into Currency Exchange (PayPal, Liberty Reserve, Western Union)
7. Straight out of Newbie mode and selling gift cards/codes/Steam games of any kind (they'll often be purchased with stolen CC info, leaving you holding the bag later on down the road)
8. Any user blatantly claiming to be female
9. New user trying to sell an Apple iAnything
10. Sob stories asking for handouts
11. Never send to a Bitmerch.com address for escrow!!!

There. Pretty much in a nutshell how to spot a scammer. There's still some finesse to spotting a scammer, but these rules will separate most of the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. Oh, and I guess there's one more rule:see my nest post
Re: How To Spot That Scammer by dominique(f): 7:42pm On Feb 25, 2017
Bonus tip, another red flag is anyone that starts chanting God's names. They know that the average Nigerian is easily sold to religion. Always insist on a trusted escrow. To be on the safe side, always consult with seasoned members before sealing a deal. Scammers are getting creative by the day, one has to be one step ahead of them

(1) (Reply)

WHAT Does This Say About Nigeria? / A Thread For Nigerians In Affiliate Marketing / Making A Successful Career In Network Marketing (mlm)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.