Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,439 members, 7,801,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? (10546 Views)

Fantasy And Science Fiction Writers' Support Group / Purified Tomorrow: The Mad Awakening (A Science Fiction) By Akinjide Akintayo / MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Feb 25, 2017
I noticed this trend first on NL, then now on other numerous Whatsapp groups and online bookclubs.

Normally, I shrug this off. The average Nigerian doesn't give a damn about stories and prefer watching crappy love stories or reading celebrity nonsense and what not.

However, whenever I have the extraordinary luck to connect or view stories by true fans of literature; I notice most of them shy away from Sci-Fi.
Indeed a very rare minority show intrest in sci-fi or write stories about it (Nairaland as a case study).

Why?? What could be the cause of this

On a related note, I'm yet to see a female fan of Sci-fi on NL or anywhere else.

Do chicks hate Sci-fi or wha

Cc Teempakguy, blackjewelry, Preboy, Apollux, et-al...

8 Likes

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Outofsync(m): 9:49pm On Feb 25, 2017
Well, I think it's because Nigerians have a pathetically low sense of imagination when it comes to science situations....

Most Nigerians are used to seeing emotional and family bullshit situations so when they're confronted with logic disguised in entertainment, their brain frazzles undecided grin

Such a shame too.

Sci-fi is arguably one of the best and most rewarding sections of literature sad

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Apollux(m): 10:35pm On Feb 25, 2017
Well i think Nigeria as a whole don't show much interest in sci fi, same way lots of students tends to avoid maths in classes. Some writers, especially on Nairaland, don't write much on sci fi stories because of little interest... But I think some others avoid it because they feel it takes more effort to write sci fi stories - u have to do research, know a little of science etc. So they just write with settings that people are already familiar with. But to me I think sci fi is 1 of the easiest genre to write on because everything there is my creation, I can put in anything I want, anyway I want it and not be wrong.
Anyway I just wish more people will change their attitude towards sci fi stories, that is where you see creativity at its peak. Especially the ladies, it's not all about romance or family drama, try sci fi too. True lots of attempts at sci fi here have been disappointing but there are still some very good ones.
I decided that my 1st story on nairaland should be sci fi, because it has less competition and there I can stand out and push my creative abilities to the limit

11 Likes

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 10:48pm On Feb 25, 2017
We don't! If it's good, I read. However, I prefer the supernatural.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by orimsamsam(m): 7:38am On Feb 26, 2017
I hate science fiction because it is far away from reality

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Category1: 7:38am On Feb 26, 2017
Well I love Reading science fictions, cos I'm always very much interested in them.. Whenever I switch on my Gotv, I go straight to discovery family and my favorite program is how it's made.

Sometimes whenever i sit I keep on wondering, thinking about how they brought abt the idea of making motherboards and how the idea of making circuits with tiny particles came up.

I also keep on wondering how engineers know the right resources that is to be used in making these computers and machines....
There are a lot of things to say about science and only if u are a true science student, then u gonna be bothered abt all these.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by MuyiRano(m): 7:38am On Feb 26, 2017
I'm just here to read comments! I don't have anything to say.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Samexdx(m): 7:38am On Feb 26, 2017
Well, I think its because of the complexity of sci fi, people often shy away from it because it is not so easy to picture when reading it compared to that of romance, family or even the supernatural. Some may not even understand the term being used talkless of being able to relate with what is being read.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by gift01: 7:39am On Feb 26, 2017
Of all the things Nigerians pass thru....na science fiction we go dey think of? Afterall all wat we going thru pass science fiction, commercial fiction and art fiction put together or how can u explain moving from Harmattan in February to Heavy downpour and eclipse all within 7 days

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Ezedon(m): 7:39am On Feb 26, 2017
When the leader is not well educated, and doesn't know the value of education, what do u expect the followers to do?
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by kajsa08: 7:40am On Feb 26, 2017
grin tommy bosoms by Stephen King
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 7:40am On Feb 26, 2017
Says who, we love science fiction, in any case i do
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Krystalzkris(f): 7:41am On Feb 26, 2017
sci-fi is good..... But it takes time plotting and making sure everything is in order... Before those in the field you are writing on will be shocked and confused.... And others not in the field will be misinformed....

I actually started one on nairaland, but too lazy to continue
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by mcayomind: 7:41am On Feb 26, 2017
nairalander are least interested in sci-fi.

just cos it didn't relate to Big Brother Naija.

Quote me at your own peril!
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Dindondin(m): 7:43am On Feb 26, 2017
Outofsync:
Well, I think it's because Nigerians have a pathetically low sense of imagination when it comes to science situations....

Most Nigerians are used to seeing emotional and family bullshit situations so when they're confronted with logic disguised in entertainment, their brain frazzles undecided grin

Such a shame too.

Sci-fi is arguably one of the best and most rewarding sections of literature sad
This is the answer you v been looking for
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by opalu: 7:44am On Feb 26, 2017
I love science fiction books. It's like major book sellers in lagos don't stock enough of Sci-Fis do to the negligible demand in the market
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by yorhmienerd(m): 7:45am On Feb 26, 2017
I can't read Horror or Sci-Fi stories. Got one just of recent but had to dash it out 'cos its kind of BORING!
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Dindondin(m): 7:45am On Feb 26, 2017
Apollux:
Well i think Nigeria as a whole don't show much interest in sci fi, same way lots of students tends to avoid maths in classes. Some writers, especially on Nairaland, don't write much on sci fi stories because of little interest... But I think some others avoid it because they feel it takes more effort to write sci fi stories - u have to do research, know a little of science etc. So they just write with settings that people are already familiar with. But to me I think sci fi is 1 of the easiest genre to write on because everything there is my creation, I can put in anything I want, anyway I want it and not be wrong.
Anyway I just wish more people will change their attitude towards sci fi stories, that is where you see creativity at its peak. Especially the ladies, it's not all about romance or family drama, try sci fi too. True lots of attempts at sci fi here have been disappointing but there are still some very good ones.
I decided that my 1st story on nairaland should be sci fi, because it has less competition and there I can stand out and push my creative abilities to the limit
on point too
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 7:46am On Feb 26, 2017
I read SF and I am a Nigerian. I think there's a lack of appreciation of SF as a contributing factor to technological advancements.

Starting from Jules Vernes to Dean Koontz from Asimov to Frank Herbert.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by padime9: 7:47am On Feb 26, 2017
Sciencefic are fucking boring. Give a crime novel and I can be very imaginative.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by peacettw: 7:55am On Feb 26, 2017
SirWere:
I noticed this trend first on NL, then now on other numerous Whatsapp groups and online bookclubs.

Normally, I shrug this off. The average Nigerian doesn't give a damn about stories and prefer watching crappy love stories or reading celebrity nonsense and what not.

However, whenever I have the extraordinary luck to connect or view stories by true fans of literature; I notice most of them shy away from Sci-Fi.
Indeed a very rare minority show intrest in sci-fi or write stories about it (Nairaland as a case study).

Why?? What could be the cause of this

On a related note, I'm yet to see a female fan of Sci-fi on NL or anywhere else.

Do chicks hate Sci-fi or wha

Cc Teempakguy, blackjewelry, Preboy, Apollux, et-al...

Females hating sci-fi Wherever did you get that impression from? I live for anything sci-fi. movies, books, documentaries...pls count me in. My best birthday gift till date given to me 10 years ago remains a book on Aliens. It is still in my library Do you know that the moon is hollow and that when a meteor hits it, it rings like a bell. it was much closer to earth during the time the pyramids were built ....and so forth. If you want to make me happy, a good sci do movie or novel will do.

Read Abducted by Robin Cook and you will never remain the same. Also watch Ex-Machina

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 8:01am On Feb 26, 2017
everyone gets a share of the blame. the readers and the writers.

A great story is one that is character driven. unfortunately, this can hardly be said for most stories on NL, the writers often just go on about how "advanced" and "gadgety" their world is. too much time is spent on describing the world. and it's often in chunks.
guys, if you're writing for a Nigerian audience, your characters and their interactions take precedence over your world. it has to be as relatable as possible.

and the readers on the other hand have problems. the joy of reading SciFi lies in the world itself. How the writer's imagination crafts a future. but Nigerian readers always focus on characters and the drama. and that's why they don't like SciFi.

obviously, a compromise must be reached. unfortunately, it's the authors that need to bend over. the readers are the customers, and as they say, "customer is boss"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by ElmaSpeed(f): 8:12am On Feb 26, 2017
Sci-fi books? I'm still looking for one to read.
It's my favorite movie genre but I wasn't a science student at school.
If you have any good sci-fi stories, please share your link and I'll happily dive in.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Rilwayne001: 8:13am On Feb 26, 2017
I prefer epic fantasy than even those one that are reality based. I've never read a sci-fiction though.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by MutantMetahuman: 8:15am On Feb 26, 2017
Next time, write a story about big brother or any other show that adds nothing to their existence, you will get their attention just like snakes will get attention of a certain mod.

Even the topic of this thread alone will chase them away
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by vislabraye(m): 8:18am On Feb 26, 2017
If I am to be a writer, one of the genres i'll write is science fiction. In fact I love all forms of speculative fictions- (horror and fiction).
But you need go authors. Michael Crichton wrote a science fiction novel based on cloning. Can't remember the name but the novel was good. But one has to understand that there are different levels of sci fi. Some are mild and some are hard core. It depends a lot on the writers.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Dotng: 8:20am On Feb 26, 2017
peacettw:

Females hating sci-fi Wherever did you get that impression from? I live for anything sci-fi. movies, books, documentaries...pls count me in. My best birthday gift till date given to me 10 years ago remains a book on Aliens. It is still in my library Do you know that the moon is hollow and that when a meteor hits it, it rings like a bell. it was much closer to earth during the time the pyramids were built ....and so forth. If you want to make me happy, a good sci do movie or novel will do.

Read Abducted by Robin Cook and you will never remain the same. Also watch Ex-Machina

I loved the concept of Ex-Machina. I have been trying to get movies of the same concept. Can you recommend some?
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 8:23am On Feb 26, 2017
That's why, it's called ***Fiction** .
Too boring and it doesn't exist
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by herald9: 8:29am On Feb 26, 2017
I love sci-fi novels and I'll continue loving it.

But then, I only love sci-fi stories from foreign authors cause I know that's their reality out there.

What does an average Nigerian know about robots, flying cars and space exploration that would culminate into a beautiful sci-fi novel that would keep you on your toes, without you getting bored to death?

Here in Naija, we are still living in a semi-rural society that is still striving to push its luck on areas of science and technology... And someone would describing flying cars, skyscrapers, space exploration and vice versa in a Nigerian setting?

Haba... We should be able to differentiate between science fiction and a lie na grin.

If you want sci-fi business to thrive in Nigeria, start with the basics, don't skip timelines. The novel should be more 'chemical and biological' in nature instead of full-fledged techy.

Every novel mirrors a society. Let's take our time.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Saint In Disguise / knight of valor episodes / John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.