Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,420 members, 7,808,509 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? (10565 Views)

Fantasy And Science Fiction Writers' Support Group / Purified Tomorrow: The Mad Awakening (A Science Fiction) By Akinjide Akintayo / MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Edenoscar(m): 10:17am On Feb 26, 2017
SirWere:
I noticed this trend first on NL, then now on other numerous Whatsapp groups and online bookclubs.

Normally, I shrug this off. The average Nigerian doesn't give a damn about stories and prefer watching crappy love stories or reading celebrity nonsense and what not.

However, whenever I have the extraordinary luck to connect or view stories by true fans of literature; I notice most of them shy away from Sci-Fi.
Indeed a very rare minority show intrest in sci-fi or write stories about it (Nairaland as a case study).

Why?? What could be the cause of this

On a related note, I'm yet to see a female fan of Sci-fi on NL or anywhere else.

Do chicks hate Sci-fi or wha

Cc Teempakguy, blackjewelry, Preboy, Apollux, et-al...

Predestination and Intersteller are part of the reasons why i dont read or watch sci-fi, i've watched each of those movies 3 times and i keep scratching my head at the end of it, the only book av read on sci fi is 'The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy', and the only reason i was able to reach the 5th in the series was because of the author's use of humor through out the book
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 10:20am On Feb 26, 2017
peacettw:

Females hating sci-fi Wherever did you get that impression from? I live for anything sci-fi. movies, books, documentaries...pls count me in. My best birthday gift till date given to me 10 years ago remains a book on Aliens. It is still in my library Do you know that the moon is hollow and that when a meteor hits it, it rings like a bell. it was much closer to earth during the time the pyramids were built ....and so forth. If you want to make me happy, a good sci do movie or novel will do.

Read Abducted by Robin Cook and you will never remain the same. Also watch Ex-Machina

What!! shocked shocked shocked

Watched Ex-Machina. Great concept. Loved it.

Interstellar is also a good movie too.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 26, 2017
Edenoscar:

Predestination and Intersteller are part of the reasons why i dont read or watch sci-fi, i've watched each of those movies 3 times and i keep scratching my head at the end of it, the only book av read on sci fi is 'The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy', and the only reason i was able to reach the 5th in the series was because of the author's use of humor through out the book
What shocked shocked

Interstellar is a great beautiful masterpiece.
Why you doing like this now angry

Hitchiker's Guide : One of the Funniest piece of literature ever read grin

42 : The answer to the question?
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 10:24am On Feb 26, 2017
trublvr:
I'm a woman and I love sci-fi and fantasy. Movies, books, short stories in vintage sci-fi magazines, I love them all!
You're a rare exception honestly. Most females disdain the genre sad
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 10:24am On Feb 26, 2017
UyiIredia:
I'm quite the fan of Sci-fi. I have read most of the Dune universe books.
Ahh Dune. Masterpiece. Shame the author died.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by cao(f): 10:26am On Feb 26, 2017
According to this thread, I must be a unicorn.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 10:26am On Feb 26, 2017
Pangea:
I'm a definitely a sci-fi fan! Read all books by these enigma Isaac Asimov Robert henlein Arthur c. Clarke Frederick Pohl
With the exception of Pohl; I resonate with you 100 percent!
Perhaps we should start a sci-fi thread here on NL, what do you think?
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 26, 2017
warrah:
The best sci-fi I have read...
Stranger in a strange land
Judas unchained
Battlefield earth
Mission Earth
etc......
Brother, you sir, have good tastes in books.
I grok this post fully.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 10:32am On Feb 26, 2017
Outofsync:
Well, I think it's because Nigerians have a pathetically low sense of imagination when it comes to science situations....

Most Nigerians are used to seeing emotional and family bullshit situations so when they're confronted with logic disguised in entertainment, their brain frazzles undecided grin

Such a shame too.

Sci-fi is arguably one of the best and most rewarding sections of literature sad
Honestly man you nailed this. How do you feel more intrest can be generated in science-fiction
I remember reading sci-fi masterpieces when I was young and decided at that moment to pursue science to the fullest.

How can we generate more intrest in this genre, especially on NL
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 26, 2017
yorhmienerd:
I can't read Horror or Sci-Fi stories. Got one just of recent but had to dash it out 'cos its kind of BORING!
Science fiction, boring

Have I died and gone to an alternate universe undecided
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 10:37am On Feb 26, 2017
Teempakguy:
everyone gets a share of the blame. the readers and the writers.

A great story is one that is character driven. unfortunately, this can hardly be said for most stories on NL, the writers often just go on about how "advanced" and "gadgety" their world is. too much time is spent on describing the world. and it's often in chunks.
guys, if you're writing for a Nigerian audience, your characters and their interactions take precedence over your world. it has to be as relatable as possible.

and the readers on the other hand have problems. the joy of reading SciFi lies in the world itself. How the writer's imagination crafts a future. but Nigerian readers always focus on characters and the drama. and that's why they don't like SciFi.

obviously, a compromise must be reached. unfortunately, it's the authors that need to bend over. the readers are the customers, and as they say, "customer is boss"
Fair point.
Most Nigerians don't like slow, engrossful character and world building. They don't have the patience sad

Why did you stop the Outsider by the way? It was starting to get really intresting.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 10:42am On Feb 26, 2017
Zita55:
That's why, it's called ***Fiction** .

Too boring and it doesn't exist
Do you even know the meaning of fiction at all undecided
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Edenoscar(m): 10:44am On Feb 26, 2017
SirWere:

What shocked shocked

Interstellar is a great beautiful masterpiece.
Why you doing like this now angry

Hitchiker's Guide : One of the Funniest piece of literature ever read grin

42 : The answer to the question?

The movies were good but i run from anything that has to do with time travel,
My favourite character in hitchhiker is Marvin the robot and i heard there's a hitchhiker movie,have you watched it.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 10:45am On Feb 26, 2017
SirWere:
Do you even know the meaning of fiction at all undecided

you that knows ,what's the meaning??

over sabi...nonsense!!

mtchewwwwwwwww
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by warrah(m): 10:47am On Feb 26, 2017
SirWere:

Brother, you sir, have good tastes in books.

I grok this post fully.

Lol, I so much enjoyed that book, Stranger in a strange land" by Henilien Robert.

I have the pdf file if anyone is interested in reading this wonderful Sci fi
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by warrah(m): 10:53am On Feb 26, 2017
Is there anyone that has read the whole Dark Tower series by Stephen King.
He embedded some astonishing sci-fi into the novel that's truly amazing.
"Blaine the mono"
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by BraniacX(m): 11:12am On Feb 26, 2017
SirWere:
I noticed this trend first on NL, then now on other numerous Whatsapp groups and online bookclubs.

Normally, I shrug this off. The average Nigerian doesn't give a damn about stories and prefer watching crappy love stories or reading celebrity nonsense and what not.

However, whenever I have the extraordinary luck to connect or view stories by true fans of literature; I notice most of them shy away from Sci-Fi.
Indeed a very rare minority show intrest in sci-fi or write stories about it (Nairaland as a case study).

Why?? What could be the cause of this

On a related note, I'm yet to see a female fan of Sci-fi on NL or anywhere else.

Do chicks hate Sci-fi or wha

Cc Teempakguy, blackjewelry, Preboy, Apollux, et-al...

Though i'm not a chick, you've just connected with a sci-fi fan-atic cheesy feel free to drop recommendations
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by BraniacX(m): 11:16am On Feb 26, 2017
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
We don't! If it's good, I read. However, I prefer the supernatural.

How would u know its good unless u read it first? undecided
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by BraniacX(m): 11:22am On Feb 26, 2017
peacettw:

Females hating sci-fi Wherever did you get that impression from? I live for anything sci-fi. movies, books, documentaries...pls count me in. My best birthday gift till date given to me 10 years ago remains a book on Aliens. It is still in my library Do you know that the moon is hollow and that when a meteor hits it, it rings like a bell. it was much closer to earth during the time the pyramids were built ....and so forth. If you want to make me happy, a good sci do movie or novel will do.

Read Abducted by Robin Cook and you will never remain the same. Also watch Ex-Machina

Jeez girl......... :-]

Just the fact that you exist alone warms my cockles cheesy cool
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 11:29am On Feb 26, 2017
Edenoscar:

The movies were good but i run from anything that has to do with time travel,
My favourite character in hitchhiker is Marvin the robot and i heard there's a hitchhiker movie,have you watched it.
Dark Universe by Daniel Galouye
Why do you dislike time-travel? It can be very perplexing attimes but that's the beauty of it nah....

Favorite character is Zphrod Beetlebox and Ford. Truly crazy characters.

I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm scared it won't be as good as the book sad angry
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Tinyemeka(m): 11:51am On Feb 26, 2017
warrah:
Is there anyone that has read the whole Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

He embedded some astonishing sci-fi into the novel that's truly amazing.

"Blaine the mono"

Oh dude!

While in school, I developed a dangerous habit of skipping lectures to go to the library where I'd binge on anthologies of SF. I mean all day till closing time.

That was how I stumbled upon Stephen King and his Dark Tower series. Right from the Gunslinger's desert crossing, till the whole gang's escape from that tin town in Blaine the mono train. I read the whole series. Everything!
I'm teary-eyed right now. smiley

There are other SF thrillers by King. You should look up 'Four Past Midnight'. You'd enjoy it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Tinyemeka(m): 11:52am On Feb 26, 2017
SirWere:

Why do you dislike time-travel? It can be very perplexing attimes but that's the beauty of it nah....

I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm scared it won't be as good as the book sad angry

Books are always way better than their movies. Always.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by khalhokage(m): 11:57am On Feb 26, 2017
peacettw:

Will do. Thanks a lot. If you know of any other good movie or novel. let me know.

No problem, There's the wild cards series of book, with GRRM as editor, very enjoyable but there's a lot of books in the series at this point, even I haven't been able to catch upand I've read about 15 in the series.

I'm open to suggestions too.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by guyXander(m): 12:18pm On Feb 26, 2017
I actually have a book or two in the sci-fi category.
But I love to refer to it as afro-fiction. Meaning, it might not only be science but magic might be involved. Magic from an African point of view.

You can read my stories on guyxander..com

Episodes are released every week.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by herald9: 12:27pm On Feb 26, 2017
Outofsync:

The war of the worlds was written in the 1800's; when england was very much like Nigeria in terms of intellectual disparity and general enlightment.

Yet the novel was a bestseller and predicted war machines that eventually came to fruition.

Our society no be hindrace jare >smiley
When was the industrial revolution?
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Originalsly: 12:38pm On Feb 26, 2017
I believe it has to do with culture. Most of us cannot relate to Sci Fi because we are not pretty much over exposed to it from childhood. What we as Africans period are exposed to and can relate to is the supernatural... spiritual stuff. That we can write about. ... that we can read about. .. we can relate. On topics of such..... the views are staggering. Sci fi is basically not part of our culture.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by flamingREED(m): 12:51pm On Feb 26, 2017
orimsamsam:
I hate science fiction because it is far away from reality

Hahahaha
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by warrah(m): 12:52pm On Feb 26, 2017
Tinyemeka:

Oh dude!

While in school, I developed a dangerous habit of skipping lectures to go to the library where I'd binge on anthologies of SF. I mean all day till closing time.

That was how I stumbled upon Stephen King and his Dark Tower series. Right from the Gunslinger's desert crossing, till the whole gang's escape from that tin town in Blaine the mono train. I read the whole series. Everything!
I'm teary-eyed right now. smiley

There are other SF thrillers by King. You should look up 'Four Past Midnight'. You'd enjoy it.

Lol, I can imagine, I have read "four pass midnight''

Read "Judas unchained" by peter Hamilton

Mission Earth by L.Ron Hubbard

Battlefield Earth by L.Ron Hubbard
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Edenoscar(m): 1:06pm On Feb 26, 2017
SirWere:

Have you read Dark Universe by David Galouye, its the only sci fi on my list this year
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by yorhmienerd(m): 1:08pm On Feb 26, 2017
SirWere:
Science fiction, boring

Have I died and gone to an alternate universe undecided
Different stroke for diferent people.

I kind of agree with Originalsly also.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Alohamora(f): 1:27pm On Feb 26, 2017
SirWere:
A lot of girls actually.

Most prefer reading about romance or whatnot.

At least you used 'most'. Personally I find books on romance boring and uneducative.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Feb 26, 2017
SirWere:

Fair point.
Most Nigerians don't like slow, engrossful character and world building. They don't have the patience sad

Why did you stop the Outsider by the way? It was starting to get really intresting.
My laptop is getting fixed. When I get it back, I'll continue it and I'll be sure to mention you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

knight of valor episodes / Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? / Life's Symphony: A Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.