Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,917 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again (19430 Views)

Mistake a Born Again should never make / Can A Born Again Christian Marry A Muslim Lady? / Should A Man Who Is A Born-Again Christian Be A Gynaecologist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Modenzy: 9:06am On Feb 26, 2017
Happy sunday to all nairalanders.

There is a serious question that i always want to ask but today iam realeasing it out from the substructure of my mind.

It is Biblically and doctrinically mandatory for christ-likes in 97% churches to marry one (1) wife. Good.
Assuming a man is having two wives and he gave his life to christ as his personal LORD and SAVIOUR, should the man still stick and maintain the two wives

Please, matured answers, bible quotes are welcomed. Phylosophical reasonings are welcome too.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Nutase: 9:16am On Feb 26, 2017
The Bible never made a direct reference to polygamy except in the case of a bishop/overseer/elder/supervisor/officials in 1 Tim 3:2 depending on the version.
Some people use Genesis 2:24 to justify there monogamous theory which is not completely wrong and is also not completely right. Almost all the fathers of our faith were polygamist and yet God still found them righteous and even called one a man after his own heart.
In Matthew 23:23 Jesus scolded the pharisees for neglecting the weightier matters of the law which includes Judgement, mercy and faith.
In Matt 9:13 KJV Jesus referring to Hosea 6:6 said to the pharisees "But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."
In Matt 12:7 KJV Jesus speaking said But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
In Matt 23:15 NIV Jesus speaking said “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are."
Having laid the foundation above I want to state that I do not subscribe to polygamy neither do I encourage it. But we need to show compassion like Jesus did.
Some Christians use restitution to justify the man sending away his other wives but do not consider the effect of the absence of a husband and father on the other wives and children. Restitution cannot be applied in every situation, for example how does a woman who had an abortion do restitution?
The God we serve looks at the motive behind the action. The action was carried out in ignorance or based on the beliefs of the religion the fellow was practicing at that point in time and not from an informed position.

Let me conclude by saying that God deals with us according to His plan and purpose for our lives and in some particular issues there is no one size fits all. He can ask Mr A to do a thing which he won't permit Mr B to do.
This is one of such issues and should be done based on hearing personally from God and not because of what one man says. In the scriptures God did not permit David to build a temple for him but he permitted Solomon to do that for him.

Shalom.

94 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Sunnymatey(m): 9:35am On Feb 26, 2017
The two women can lay claim to him legally but as a christian, the woman whose dairy was first paid is the wife.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by firstking01(m): 9:38am On Feb 26, 2017
Modenzy:
There is a serious question that i always want to ask but today iam realeasing it out from the substructure of my mind.
It is Biblically and doctrinically mandatory for christ-likes in 97% churches to marry one (1) wife. Good.
Assuming a man is having two wives and he gave his life to christ as his personal LORD and SAVIOUR, should the man still stick and maintain the two wives
Please, matured answers, bible quotes are welcomed. Phylosophical reasonings are welcome too.
Well, he who's in christ is a new creature, old things are passed away and all things have become new....so, if he married the two wives legally he must live with them legally, showing equal love and care to the both of them with NO partiality cos in christiandom once you are married there's absolutely NO room for divorce...let me just add, if you are a worker in the church you'd put away the last wife, i.e, the one you married last by giving her a certificate of divorce according to the bible...that's all i can say for now.

5 Likes

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by jmichlins(m): 11:06am On Feb 26, 2017
Better to marry seven wives, take care of them than to marry one and cheat thereby sharing hiv and the rest

20 Likes

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Modenzy: 12:30pm On Feb 26, 2017
Nutase:
The Bible never made a direct reference to polygamy except in the case of a bishop/overseer/elder/supervisor/officials in 1 Tim 3:2 depending on the version.
Some people use Genesis 2:24 to justify there monogamous theory which is not completely wrong and is also not completely right. Almost all the fathers of our faith were polygamist and yet God still found them righteous and even called one a man after his own heart.
In Matthew 23:23 Jesus scolded the pharisees for neglecting the weightier matters of the law which includes Judgement, mercy and faith.
In Matt 9:13 KJV Jesus referring to Hosea 6:6 said to the pharisees "But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."
In Matt 12:7 KJV Jesus speaking said But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
In Matt 23:15 NIV Jesus speaking said “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are."
Having laid the foundation above I want to state that I do not subscribe to polygamy neither do I encourage it. But we need to show compassion like Jesus did.
Some Christians use restitution to justify the man sending away his other wives but do not consider the effect of the absence of a husband and father on the other wives and children. Restitution cannot be applied in every situation, for example how does a woman who had an abortion do restitution?
The God we serve looks at the motive behind the action. The action was carried out in ignorance or based on the beliefs of the religion the fellow was practicing at that point in time and not from an informed position.

Let me conclude by saying that God deals with us according to His plan and purpose for our lives and in some particular issues there is no one size fits all. He can ask Mr A to do a thing which he won't permit Mr B to do.
This is one of such issues and should be done based on hearing personally from God and not because of what one man says. In the scriptures God did not permit David to build a temple for him but he permitted Solomon to do that for him.

Shalom.
you spoke well. Thanks 4 ur quotes. May God increase your wisdom

11 Likes

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Modenzy: 12:34pm On Feb 26, 2017
firstking01:
Well, he who's in christ is a new creature, old things are passed away and all things have become new....so, if he married the two wives legally he must live with them legally, showing equal love and care to the both of them with NO partiality cos in christiandom once you are married there's absolutely NO room for divorce...let me just add, if you are a worker in the church you'd put away the last wife, i.e, the one you married last by giving her a certificate of divorce according to the bible...that's all i can say for now.

hmmmmmmmmm. It will be well.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by enshy: 1:04pm On Feb 26, 2017
Modenzy:
My Brother In Christ!
We Christians believe the scriptures only and obey.
In the beginning, he made them one man, one wife.
Now you are born again, your first wife is your wife if you have performed her marital rites, if not the whole context changes.
The second wife is adultery, if she has children for you, you must take responsibility for all children, for this is the Will of God! You dont just send her out, get her accommodation, speak to her and her family.
If you are sincere with God, he will direct your paths!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by seunny4lif(m): 1:13pm On Feb 26, 2017
cool cool
2 pussies cool cool
Nice oooooh
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Christane: 1:14pm On Feb 26, 2017
devorce the 2nd one nd stick to ur 1st wife ..ur 2nd wife z a stranger in ur house ..bt if u cnt let her go ...speak to ur pastor abt it ..

2 Likes

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by lampard01(m): 1:14pm On Feb 26, 2017
Meaningless post.
I wonder how some posts make it to front page

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by psalmskiddy(m): 1:14pm On Feb 26, 2017
OKAY cheesy
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by oloriLFC(f): 1:15pm On Feb 26, 2017
Sunnymatey:
The two women can lay claim to him legally but as a christian, the woman whose dairy was first paid is the wife.
You mean Jenifa's diary?

19 Likes

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by melejo(m): 1:16pm On Feb 26, 2017
Nutase:

Shalom.
May the Lord bless you. Such a deep teaching

1 Like

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by tishbite41(m): 1:17pm On Feb 26, 2017
the first woman u married is ur wife. d odas re concubines or mistresses. male and female created He them. one man one wife is d original will of God.

2 Likes

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Nobody: 1:17pm On Feb 26, 2017
Divorce one.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Nobody: 1:17pm On Feb 26, 2017
oloriLFC:
You mean Jenifa's diary?
exactly as for me am born again and I will marry 2 wives grin

2 Likes

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Btruth: 1:18pm On Feb 26, 2017
Thank God for this topic. And God bless the OP. I woke up this afternoon from sleep with worries over the same thing happening in one of my favourite uncle life. And lo and behold, found the topic right at the top of the front page. Let me quickly share his stories.

Years back, he was married to Mummy Remi, and they had 4 kids. 2 girls and 2 boys. Whatever happens along the line, my uncle meet another lady and he equally married her. She had 5 kids for him. 2 boys and 3 girls. My uncle got converted to be a born again Christian. But what I personal observed then was that the first wife was the one that brought her pastor to the house to preach to my uncle, and eventually, he got converted and join the church with the 2nd wife and all his kids. Very dedicated a man to the church and very humble too. But when the church doctrines set in later that my uncle cannot become an elder and a full member of the church because he has 2 wives, and he asked the committee what he needed to do. He was asked to divorce the 2nd wife. This is where politics in the church started. And the church was near divided because of him, some of the elders says they should leave the man and his family alone, while some says he should be suspended.

Meanwhile, the 1st wife sees the opportunity as an advantages and gaining the supports of the woman association and other groups in the church as against the 2nd wife. Eventually, the pressure was so much for my uncle that he decided to leave the church and move completely out of lagos.

All kids grown up now, and my uncle is in his 70s. Till now, the effect of what happens then has really created enmity between all the kids and the man is regretting ever going into that church.

So, should church, pastors, committee or any group in the church be a judge in one house problem? Who doesn't have his/her personal problem. And who make people a judge in other people's issue. Let people be careful of how they interface in other people case.

Church name: 4square.

Happy Sunday.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by hermosa7: 1:18pm On Feb 26, 2017
Modenzy:

You don't even sound married, let alone serious undecided
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by jamalnation(m): 1:18pm On Feb 26, 2017
Hmmn
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Sirnuel: 1:18pm On Feb 26, 2017
enshy:

My Brother In Christ!
We Christians believe the scriptures only and obey.
In the beginning, he made them one man, one wife.
Now you are born again, your first wife is your wife if you have performed her marital rites, if not the whole context changes.
The second wife is adultery, if she has children for you, you must take responsibility for all children, for this is the Will of God! You dont just send her out, get her accommodation, speak to her and her family.
If you are sincere with God, he will direct your paths!

Stop quoting the bible out of context bro...
will this your advice still stand if the second wive was to be your sister.
moreover the Bible never said a man cannot marry more than one wife.
God knows if I have enough money, i will marry more than two ooo... I go be father of many nation bro.

6 Likes

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by bewla(m): 1:18pm On Feb 26, 2017
co
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by chidexSmokey(f): 1:19pm On Feb 26, 2017
firstking01:
Well, he who's in christ is a new creature, old things are passed away and all things have become new....so, if he married the two wives legally he must live with them legally, showing equal love and care to the both of them with NO partiality cos in christiandom once you are married there's absolutely NO room for divorce...[s]let me just add, if you are a worker in the church you'd put away the last wife, i.e, the one you married last by giving her a certificate of divorce according to the bible...[/s]that's all i can say for now.
I don't agree with you on that. Matthew 5:32a(GNB) talks abt the woman's unfaithfulness as a reason to divorce her...so him been a worker is not a reason to do so.
Op, Ur past is ur past,once you accept Christ,a new you has emerged. Don't try to make God see you have truly repented by letting go of one of them. Accept both wholeheartedly, treat them well, serve God faithfully and He'd keep directing you.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by mazizitonene(m): 1:20pm On Feb 26, 2017
Continue with your wives.....

6 Likes

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Ishilove: 1:20pm On Feb 26, 2017
Sunnymatey:
What if he paid the brideprice of both?
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Nobody: 1:23pm On Feb 26, 2017
Good for you. And No! Having two wives is never a sin!

2 Likes

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Talkwell: 1:23pm On Feb 26, 2017
Sirnuel:

Stop quoting the bible out of context bro...
will this your advice still stand if the second wive was to be your sister.
moreover the Bible never said a man cannot marry more than one wife.
God knows if I have enough money, i will marry more than two ooo... I go be father of many nation bro.

Help me tell d guy jor
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by anibi9674: 1:23pm On Feb 26, 2017
so many ignoramus Christians preaching doctrines of the devil. my bro read matt 19 for your enlightenment.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Nobody: 1:23pm On Feb 26, 2017
Babe that should be a mistake from the person,
back to the question what i can say is for the person to go and read the history of the founder of Redeem Church
oloriLFC:
You mean Jenifa's diary?
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by johhnnie(m): 1:24pm On Feb 26, 2017
Nutase:

God bless you!
Shalom.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by chiefolododo(m): 1:26pm On Feb 26, 2017
I HEREBY RULE THAT YOU TAKE CARE AND KEEP YOUR HOUSE . DO NOT BREAK IT .

1 Like

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by johhnnie(m): 1:30pm On Feb 26, 2017
Nutase:

God bless you!
Shalom.
Talkwell:

Help me tell d guy jor

The truth you know will set you free! Get the truth about the bible and its tenets! What catefory of sin prostitution; yet he said let him who hath not sinned cast the first stone. I will have mercy on whom I decide to have mercy on sayeth the Lord of host. Some situations are betond our reasonings as humans! God works in mysterious ways and God is not man that he may repenth of His sins. Have tried to understand what the sins of God be? May be having compassion for a condemned criminal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Wickedness Must Die" Mountain Of Fire Ministries Poster / Should Church Workers Be Paid?- What Is Your Opinion / Good Friday Miracle Night With Pastor Chris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.