Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

Teenage Pregnancy: A Silent Menance In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Teenage Pregnancy: A Silent Menance In Nigeria (1035 Views)

My Teenage Sister Already Having Sex With Yahoo Boys & My Father Is An Extremist / Mother And Her 2 Teenage Twin Daughters Pregnant For One Man (photos) / The Alarming Rate Of Teenage Pregnancy In Rural Areas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teenage Pregnancy: A Silent Menance In Nigeria by LegendVibes: 9:17am On Feb 26, 2017

Teenage pregnancy in Nigeria has been on an alarming increase in recent times. It has become a menace that plagues the lives of young girls in this century. It is defined as, an unintended pregnancy in female humans who are between the ages of 15–19 years; it can occur in ages as low as 12 years.
As at 2013, statistics by the National Population Commission showed that about (23%) of adolescent women aged 15-19 years were already mothers or pregnant with their first child. Researches have also shown that prevalence of this menace is highest in the North West Zone (36%) and lowest in the South East and South West Zones (8% each) of the country. About 80% of these pregnant teenagers were totally unprepared for this situation in which they ignorantly or innocently found themselves.
Teenage pregnancy carries a social stigma in many communities and cultures. A lot of researches have attributed the increase in teenage pregnancy in Nigeria to a number of factors, they include, absence of parental care and guidance, peer pressure, ignorance on the part of the teenager on sex related issues, financial hardship, low level of education, cultural and religious beliefs, sexual assault and many more.
It is commonly believed that all adolescent pregnancies happen by chance however, this is not usually true. A few young people effectively plan to end up pregnant by not utilizing contraception, believing that pregnancy is a genuine strength in some dicey situations.
In other situations, a few parents or guardians give their teenagers out in marriage on the grounds that they do not have the fortitude to provide food and educate them. The implications of teenage pregnancy are quite grave both for mother and child.
The after-effect of these consequences tell a great deal on the economy and society at large; they often are not immediately felt or seen but on the long run, they tell. Teen mothers suffer more from these implications. At the forefront of these consequences is unsafe abortion. Abortion is illegal in Nigeria, it is permitted only in exceptional cases where it is performed to save a woman’s life.
Unsafe abortion is one of the major reasons the maternal mortality rate (1500 women per 100,000 births) of the country is on the high side. According to the WHO, 14% of all unsafe abortions in developing countries are among women under 20 years of age.
Obstetric complications can also occur in teen mothers due to their body not being fully developed physically to sustain a healthy pregnancy or to give birth. These obstetric complications can result in mortality of either the mother/child or both. Contributing to these difficulties is their unwillingness to use antenatal and other health care facilities that would be beneficial to them due to stigmatization. Poor dietary patterns (skipping meals, eating junk foods) is a norm in adolescent ladies.
This unhealthy habit puts them at a higher risk of malnutrition which is further compounded by pregnancy. A malnourished pregnant teenager has limited reservoir of nutrients from which the foetus can take its supply. They also have a higher danger of postnatal depression than matured women.
This is undoubtedly because of various elements including an absence of support from companions as well as family, budgetary weights and societal pressures. Amongst the most troubling consequences for adolescent moms is not finishing their education.
They get to be drop outs and represent a high risk factor to the country’s economic development. This absence of training can bring about unemployment or occupation choices that are poorly paid and uncertain.
A low wage implies poor living conditions and not being able to manage the cost of satisfactory human services or even fundamental necessities. Shockingly, in this 21st century, there is still a stigma that is perceived from the public that brings a cloud of shame towards a teenage mother. This shame can influence the way a young mother feels about her child nurturing abilities and her failure as a person; such negative outlook slowers their self-esteem.
For the babies born to teenage mothers, they are usually preterm and of low birth weight. They have an increased risk of being still born or dying within the first few weeks of birth. Those that survive, are more likely to suffer from poor nutrition, childhood illnesses, poor cognitive and educational attainment, emotional and behavioural problems, and become teenage parents themselves.
Preventing teenage pregnancy ought to be the collective effort of all stakeholders, these include the individuals, parents, communities, the media and government. Quite a number of researches have shown that age-appropriate sex education and access to modern contraception are indispensable in averting teenage pregnancies.
Adolescent who were initiated to early sex practices, are usually uninformed, naïve and misinformed about sexual practices, their reproductive health, myths and contraception.
As proof of the hazards associated with teenage pregnancy, it is clear in many cases, that much more extensive approaches than sex education and access to modern contraceptives are required to avoid teenage pregnancies.
Security from abuse, family support, conducive environment, enhanced school care, building self-esteem, well equipped youth friendly centers and counselling are altogether required.
For teenagers who unfortunately get pregnant, appropriate counselling, affordable and adequate health care services, and alternative methods of education should be made available for them. All hands must be on deck to ensure that our teenage girls transit properly without any hazard.
Source: http://www.legendvibes.com.ng/2017/02/teenage-pregnancy-silent-menance-in.html
Re: Teenage Pregnancy: A Silent Menance In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:22am On Feb 26, 2017
CIVILISATION
Re: Teenage Pregnancy: A Silent Menance In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:59am On Feb 26, 2017
I look around me and I don't see teenage pregnancy. The only 'menace' I've observed is abortion.
Re: Teenage Pregnancy: A Silent Menance In Nigeria by crackhaus: 5:37pm On Feb 26, 2017
Joavid:
I look around me and I don't see teenage pregnancy.
The only 'menace' I've observed is abortion.
I guess you don't have to get pregnant first before having an abortion, yea? cheesy
Re: Teenage Pregnancy: A Silent Menance In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 26, 2017
crackhaus:

I guess you don't have to get pregnant first before having an abortion, yea? cheesy

no. you get a growing foetus or embroyo. grin
Re: Teenage Pregnancy: A Silent Menance In Nigeria by crackhaus: 6:06pm On Feb 26, 2017
Joavid:

no. you get a growing foetus or embroyo. grin
So it's an implantation and not a pregnancy, no? cheesy
Re: Teenage Pregnancy: A Silent Menance In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:20pm On Feb 26, 2017
crackhaus:
So it's an implantation and not a pregnancy, no? cheesy
exactly grin grin
Re: Teenage Pregnancy: A Silent Menance In Nigeria by bukatyne(f): 5:27pm On Apr 24, 2017
I disagree that teenage pregnancy increased.

In cultures where there is no transfer of paternity when the father is not wedded to the mother, teenage pregnancies have always been rife. That's where the concept of iyawo nylon bag where a woman cohabits with a man because she is pregnant for him came into being.

I even know a village where a 26yr old mother of two have more 'market value' martially than a single 26 yr old girl.

I wonder why we always think there is anything new under the sun.

(1) (Reply)

Working Mothers: How Did/do You Cope With Being Separated From Your Minors / Man Dumps Wife Who Sent Him Abroad For Greener Pastures / Are Air Beds Comfortable ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.