Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,605 members, 7,801,759 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

The Oil and The Mantle - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Oil and The Mantle (4370 Views)

Seek For The Unbeleivable Power And Recieve,the Light,the MANTLE And PEACE / Prophetic Night With God (mantle Impactation Service)18th Jan. 2013. Lfc / The Endtime Mantle Of Elijah -maurice Sklar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Oil and The Mantle by donnie(m): 1:57pm On Dec 08, 2005
Now, this is one topic which i will love to be discussed, definitely not with the intention of being critical but with the hope that it will lead to better enlightenment.

It is not unusual to see a christain carrying a bottle of oil or a piece of handkerchief with the belief that these will protect him from trouble or effect some favour or cause the miraculous to happen.

My intention here is for us to find out the mind of God as regards the use of these material mediums.

I read with amazement this statement in one of the books of a  renouned man of God in our country,"The Annointing Oil is actually the Holy Spirit in a bottle".

I consider that statement offensive to the personality of the Holy Spirit who is Himself God. He is so mighty that His presense can cause a building to literally shake under His power.  

He is too big to be bottled!

Now, i am very aware that there can be a rubb-off of Power(annointing) on these materials such that the power of God rests on them. I have experienced miracles using these mediums myself. But this should be according to the spirit's leading for particuar occasions.

It does not have to be a hankie. It could even be a piece of clothing. But that power lifts after a while, it does not remain on these materials.

It shouldn't be taught like a doctrine to carry these mediums around so as to use them each time the need for a miracle arises or at home for protection.

The world should be amazed at the mighty power that we have at work in us and not just look at us carrying these hankies(which you call mantle)and bottles of oil around like juju men as we already have recieved the fullness of the mighty Holy Spirit of God. We are his temples!

My God! If God's people knew how to stir this owesome power of God that is in them by the Holy Spirit, all those who have cashed in on the ignorance of God's people to go into the sale of olive oil and hankies will be out of business.

If God's power can  rub -off on inanimate materials such as hankies, how nuch more will it readily be available for use in the temple that was made to accomodate that presence and power(the human spirit).

I am waitng for your responses, oil and mantle-carrying religious folks. U can take me on,
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by owo(m): 3:04pm On Dec 09, 2005
Good talk....hope alternate views will be as enlightening.....
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by dearzi(f): 10:23pm On Jul 12, 2006
I read the book!
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by lafile(m): 2:21pm On Feb 12, 2007
This is a Thread worth reviving. I really would like to be enlightened on this. I believe the power of the Holy spirit can fill a material medium. There is an example i think in Acts, and the woman with the issue of blood touched the hem of Jesus' garment. However, I believe it is not neccesary to use a material medium. The power of God can move without these mediums. I also believe that these mediums can help to stir the faith of people. However i dont believeit should be a permanent thing. We shouldn't be carrying things up and down like jazz men
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by trinigirl1(f): 10:40pm On Feb 12, 2007
This is an interesting topic.

A long time ago I attended this church, the "Prophet" prayed over hundreds of purple handkerchiefs and the church was selling them to visitors at full price, and members at a discount.

I bought one. undecided (like I said it was a long time ago)

I am very open minded to the things of God. However, I'm not aware of the scriptural foundation of these "material mediums" so I'll reserve my opinion until I can see evidence in scripture supporting same.

I'm aware of the woman who touched Jesus' garment and virtue left him. But wasn't this healing through an act of faith rather than actual power being in the garment itself? Or perhaps I am misappropriating this scripture to the topic.

Mark 5: 25-34

And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, because she thought, "If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed."

Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering.

At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, "Who touched my clothes?"

"You see the people crowding against you," his disciples answered, "and yet you can ask, 'Who touched me?' "

But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it.

Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth.

He said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering."

So it's her faith that healed her, not the garment.

Another supporting scripture would be in Acts 19: 11-12, which clearly showed these garments as tools of the IMMEDIATE healing power of God.

God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them.

So, since the purpose of these handkercheifs and aprons were to heal the sick and exorcise demons, how is it that nowadays they're being called "prayer handkerchiefs" and sold at a price?

Do people get healed and demons run when they touch them?

The intructions for my handkerchief to be effective went like this:-

1. Keep it on you body at all times
2. When you pray, hold it in your hand
3. If you're believing God for something and the moment has come ex waiting to hear the verdict of your relatives trial,
be sure to hold it tight in the court room and pray continually for a positive outcome.

I can tell you outright, I walked around with the thing for one day and the rest of it's life was spent somewhere in my linen closet under sheets I hardly use.

Now please, shed some let and let me know if this is at all scriptural. I'm open to change my view that it is not.
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by lafile(m): 8:56am On Feb 13, 2007
The scriptures Mark 5: 25-34 and Acts 19: 11-12 are the scriptural basis used to justify the use of handkerchiefs while James 5:14 (Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord) is used to justify the use of annointing oil. However, as stated by trini_girl, it is the faith that does the work: faith in God.

However, these days we see people putting their faith in handkerchiefs and oils, and commercializing the power of God.

trini_girl:

So, since the purpose of these handkercheifs and aprons were to heal the sick and exorcise demons, how is it that nowadays they're being called "prayer handkerchiefs" and sold at a price?

Do people get healed and demons run when they touch them?

The intructions for my handkerchief to be effective went like this:-

1. Keep it on you body at all times
2. When you pray, hold it in your hand
3. If you're believing God for something and the moment has come ex waiting to hear the verdict of your relatives trial,
be sure to hold it tight in the court room and pray continually for a positive outcome.

Some people cannot pray without one material or the other. They go for visa and job interviews with handkerchiefs. Your daughter had a bad dream? annoint her before she sleeps. You need favour? Carry one handkerchief. Haba! God na magician?

Is there someone on nairaland with comprehensive knowledge on this subject?
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by trinigirl1(f): 12:54pm On Feb 13, 2007
@ lafile

lol! It is true. This same "prophet" though has an avid following. People also bring extra virgin olive oil for him to pray over and take home.  My mother invited a prayer group over and they "anointed" all the walls with oil  undecided

I think we have taken it to the extreme.

Shahan, what's your take on this topic?
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by shahan(f): 1:20pm On Feb 13, 2007
@trini_girl,

trini_girl:

Shahan, what's your take on this topic?

The way you chase me around on the Forum. . . you should rather be in the NYPD! cheesy

Anyway, I believe that some people have taken so many things to the extreme, like you correctly noted. This is just one of them, and I'll come back with some addition to lafile's entry.

Bottomline: we should rest our faith on God Himself, and not on materials sold in the market place.
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by donnie(m): 7:53am On Feb 17, 2007
Whenever i meet one of such, i know i have met a baby Christian. Because you see,  the  same scripture they quote from the book of James says, let them call for the elders of the church to annoint them with oil. If i may ask, who are these elders?

According to athe Apostle Paul, they are not those with grey hair; they are those who have learnt to use the Word of righteousness effectively. They are not the ones in need of milk, looking for someone to pray for them or annoint them with oil. They know how to put the Word of God to work for themselves.

Why oil? You know just like we have in African culture those who can tell you what leaves or misxture to apply on an injury or pain, the oil to the Jews was used traditionally as well. Remember the Samaritan who treated the wounds of the man who was beaten by rubbers with oil. So when he says oil, to the Jewish mind, he isn't refering to some special annointing oil used for miracles.

To the baby christian who does not  know that his sickness was taken away when Christ died on the cross, he needs to feel something poured on his head to believe that his sickness is 'now' being cured. He is the one in need of the oil.

The mature christain knows that feeeling or no feeling, he is the healed of the Lord!

So how come miracles still happen? Well they will but not for long. The time will come when you will pour a full bottle of oil on the sick and nothing will hapen. This is b/c God wants you to grow up. Lay those hands of yours on the sick and watch that sickness disappear.

The serpent of brass that was used by Moses to bring people healing  at God's instruction became an idol of worship. People still went to the serpent for healing long after  this time. Did the miracles happen? yes! Was God pleased? No! Then who was responsible for the miracles? well, answer for yourself.

That is why God ordered its destruction later on because the people, rather than cry to Him will  turn to the serpent of Brass. Love ya all!

1 Like

Re: The Oil and The Mantle by 4getme1(m): 11:44pm On Feb 18, 2007
@donnie,

donnie:

To the baby christian who does not know that his sickness was taken away when Christ died on the cross, he needs to feel something poured on his head to believe that his sickness is 'now' being cured. He is the one in need of the oil.

Please go back again and read the verses in James 5:14-15 in their context - they don't suggest anything of your interpretation.

14Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: 15And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Notice there it is called the "prayer of faith"; and we know that whenever the Bible is speaking of faith, it is not a matter of feelings. Faith is not based on feelings; so the anointing oil is not something meant alone for 'baby' Christians; nor was it merely for a matter of feeling something poured on the head that God gave that verse.

Just because the sick person was to call for the "elders" doesn't mean that such a person is a "baby" Christian. Even the apostle Paul asked for prayers from others who were not apostles, without a hint of anyone being considered a "baby" (I Thes. 5:25; II Thes. 3:1).

The elders of the Church are those called to care for the church; their calling by God does not put anyone in a postion of 'baby' Christian.
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by donnie(m): 2:52pm On Feb 26, 2007
4get_me:

@donnie,

Please go back again and read the verses in James 5:14-15 in their context - they don't suggest anything of your interpretation.

14Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: 15And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Notice there it is called the "prayer of faith"; and we know that whenever the Bible is speaking of faith, it is not a matter of feelings. Faith is not based on feelings; so the anointing oil is not something meant alone for 'baby' Christians; nor was it merely for a matter of feeling something poured on the head that God gave that verse.

Just because the sick person was to call for the "elders" doesn't mean that such a person is a "baby" Christian. Even the apostle Paul asked for prayers from others who were not apostles, without a hint of anyone being considered a "baby" (I Thes. 5:25; II Thes. 3:1).

The elders of the Church are those called to care for the church; their calling by God does not put anyone in a postion of 'baby' Christian.

I remember entering an office and listening to one of the staff narrate her experience with some fraudsters and  false prophets about an hour earlier. She had been made to follow them to a certain place and made to go through certain rituals. Still in shock over her experience, she asked her collegue, "do you have some annointing oil there?" and her  collegue who did not have any at the time said NO. She was left stranded and still in frustration.

Such a person has been taught to rely on this oil. She does not know anything about stirring up the gift of God that is in her. She obviously was not full of the Holy ghost. This is the kind of teaching that leaves God's children  as babes. They should be taught the true Word of God so they can grow. I don't by this mean that everyone who uses oil is a babe.

Thank you for the scripture you quoted because from it you can see that it is the prayer of fatih and not the oil that shall save the sick. So what role does the oil play then?

When you understand this you will understand why Jesus did not need to carry a bottle of oil around. Remember, we were born after Him; and as He is, so are we in this world.

Talking about Paul; was he asking for a prayer of fatih to be made over him for healing? Was he not asking for intersession to be made for him for the journeys he will be making for the sake of the Gospel; that the gospel will have free course and be recieved? This is becasue there are certain situations that require more than just a prayer of faith. The bible talks about intercessions ( continous heartfelt prayer on behalf of another). After all it is Paul who wrote in Romans 8:11: that if the Spirit of Him that raised up Christ from the dead dwell in you, that same Spirit shall vitalize your mortal bodies.

We in our church pray often for our man of God that the gospel will have free course and that He will be delivered from wicked and unreasonable men who do not have fatih.

i know there are times of weakness when even the mature christian will be tried in his health or any other area thereby needing support from his brethren in prayer. But it is only at such times of weakness. He is not always in need of such prayers.
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by Nobody: 7:17pm On Mar 27, 2009
Anointing oil is important. But if we happen to find ourselves in a place where there's no oil, what are we to do?

The oil should not be worshipped, or wholly depended upon.

Recently, in a church service I attended, people were asked to bring their mantles from home, and right in the service, the mantles were prayed on from the altar. No one got a dime from it. I'm not judging that pastor, I'm just saying.
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by donnie(m): 3:48pm On Aug 03, 2009
What about a preacher devoting a complete teaching series to the topic: The Mystery of the annointing oil. Is that okay by you?

What is special about this oil that we cannot get from water or any other substance. Water is purer, less expensive, a cleanser and equally capable of carrying a rubb-off of the power of God . Why oil?!
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by SirJohn(m): 5:58pm On Aug 03, 2009
Oh shut up donnie, your 'pastor' is as guilty as the several lot spewing out damnable heresies.
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by hubreality(m): 7:37pm On Aug 03, 2009
John, you've come again with these sentiments of yours. The topic is worth discussing for better enlightenment to anyone who actually walk in faith. It shouldn't be turned into a battle field now.
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by SirJohn(m): 8:49am On Aug 04, 2009
hubreality:

John, you've come again with these sentiments of yours. The topic is worth discussing for better enlightenment to anyone who actually walk in faith. It shouldn't be turned into a battle field now.

Yeah Hub, I've been quiet for a while now but sometimes people like donnie have to be put in check. Here he is talking about some preachers message when I can as well list several heretic messages and statements from his own pst.
How you dey jare?
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by hubreality(m): 9:44pm On Aug 04, 2009
SirJohn, I'm doing great man. This topic is worth discussing in the Light of God's Word, leave any sentiments aside. How is your faith walk now?
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by donnie(m): 12:44am On Aug 05, 2009
Dont mind him jire.

Faith walk?

So he has one?
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by SirJohn(m): 6:03am On Aug 06, 2009
Everybody get him own for body. Some time ago, Chris came up with the 'Spirit and the dove' message, where he categorically said that it was WRONG for ministries to use the dove as a symbol for the Holy Spirit. Before then, several of his publications like 'seven things the holy spirit will do for you' clearly depicted the Holy Spirit as a dove; the logo of the 'Haven' had a dove conspicously in it. The books were later published without the doves in them and the Haven logo was changed.

Now lets assume for a moment that Mr Chris was right, does it mean that all the while he had the dove thingy in his publications he was doing WRONG? Which means there could be many more issues he may have gotten mixed up now which some day maybe changed or maybe NEVER.
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by richjohn1(m): 11:57am On Aug 06, 2009
Donnie you better mind your business and concentrate on your 'deliberate and concious delusion with pastor thief chris' is it not your pastor that once said 'just as I am' is not a christian song

@Sir John
you know people like deceiving themselves it was a great step you took breaking free I was once bound too during my service year period
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by donnie(m): 9:50pm On Aug 06, 2009
@Sir John

Wow! for the first time, i think i agree with you.

I also had some of those books and materials.

But donsn't that tell of what God is doing to His church in these last days?

Not only that, i also know of some other things which the church has made deliberate efforts to correct.

For instance, i remember a time when we could have cell meetings or outreaches at the beach or poolside. That too was stopped.

As bad as ignorance is, it is not as bad as knowing what is right to do and refusing to do it. That is what grieves the Holy Spirit.

In the time of ignorance God overlooks, but now commands all men everywhere to repent.

Funny enough, those with whom he is said to be friends with or walking is same manner as,

by that same message, seem to have something to address or change.

Benny Hinn's ministry popularised the use of the dove symbol more than any other that i know of.

T. B. Josuah at some time even had doves flying around the church auditorium and perching here and there.

The church is not yet perfect, but we're getting there and that's why Jesus still tarries.

It is really not a topic for heated arguements, it's a call to repentance

for this is the time of the manifestation of the sons of God who are led of the Spirit.

Therefore, the Holy Spirit should be known for who He really is and not represented by objects, or animals.

No doubt Pastor Chris Oyakhilome is an apostle of God. He delivers the messsage he is given unreservedly.
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by mamag3: 1:00am On Aug 07, 2009
cool
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by MrShalom(m): 6:37pm On Jul 25, 2017
The best alternative to escape all kinds of falsehood as per this topic is to be a graduate of sound teaching of the unadulterated word of GOD and not mere preaching of false pastors or prophets. Always endeavour to verify the truth from the Scriptures. Do not be tossed hither or thither with every preaching.

It is crystal clear that all the instances stated in the Scripture of as per the use of handkerchief or anointing oil are so evident that it's not really those mediums that perform the miracles neither was it the intention of the men in question to make use of the medium But only the power of GOD wrought the miracles through them in order to showcase the volume of supernatural power of GOD entrenched in these men of faith....

Shalom cares......
Re: The Oil and The Mantle by Ochedi(m): 3:06am On Oct 08, 2018
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Where Did Mohammed’s Stories Come From? / God(s) And Our Ignorance / Pastor Sunday Adelaja Now On Drugs, Passport Seized As Lawsuit Continues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.