Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:47 AM

Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair - Fashion (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair (97899 Views)

Tips On How To Grow Your Natural Hair Using Cooking Ingredients / 5 Tips On How To Protect Your Natural Hair This Harmattan Season / Check Out My Natural Hair 2 Years After Being Mocked About My Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by petiteabigail: 12:01pm On Nov 17, 2017
lovelygurl I have pm plz do add me to the group
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by ladyjblinks(f): 1:43pm On Nov 19, 2017
[quote author=lovelygurl post=62091029]

Yh, already replied. Now you have to send me your number [/quote I don't know how this pm of a thing works. Here's my number . Pls add me to the group
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 24, 2017
Retaining length

You might have probably wondered and asked yourself if it's possible for your hair to stop growing or why your hair doesn't seem to be growing. Truth is, it is growing, but you are not seeing the length, since it seems to be breaking off. Here are some tips to follow and things to watch out for

Comb/Detangle on damp hair: You should NEVER comb your hair when its dry. If you do your hair is probably going to snap, leading to unnecessary breakage and losing of hair.

Clean Scalp 1: If your scalp’s follicles are blocked by build ups, it’s impossible for your hair to grow through or grow properly, or as fast as it should. If you scratch your scalp and see dirt e.g underneath your finger nails, that means your follicles are blocked by dirt. Focus on your scalp when washing, it's the main deal.

Clean Scalp 2: The only products which are supposed to be touching your hair are shampoos and oils. No butters, leave in etc. Those are for the hair, not the scalp. They might lead to the blockage of hair follicles as well.

Deep condition regularly. Always after shampooing. Then moisturize your hair by doing the LOC/LOC method

Your hair is never supposed to be dry but always moisturised. If you notice the dry state of your hair, moisturize by doing the LOC/ LCO method, otherwise it might lead to breakage

■ There's no point in buying products, applying them to keep your hair moisturised, just to rub it all off on your pillow. Wear a satin bonnet/cap before sleeping
. The satin prevents moisture from escaping, will etc draws out moisture from the hair.

■ If your hair is long enough to put in a puff, do not let your hair shrink after washing. Put it in a puff, a ponytail, twists etc. If everything shrinks up, it's going to make the next wash day, especially the detangling process way more difficult. There will be more single strand knots and tangles, which will lead to more breakage

■ Make sure your hair is deep conditioned and mousturised before any hair do

Note: Shedding hair is normal, especially after a protective style or while transitioning. This is a natural process. But if your hair sheds a lot and you don't seem to be seeing any length, then you might want to look into what you are doing wrong

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 24, 2017

1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 24, 2017
Wash day routine with pictures

●Pre poo

---> Divide into 4 sections
---> Apply any oil of your choice on your scalp and
hair (You can warm up the oil for a better
absorption, if you want to)
---> Gently detangle by combing, starting from the
ends and gradually moving towards the scalp
(You can also finger detangle if you want to, a
better but slower option)
---> Wear a cap or anything to create warmth for a
better absorption. Leave for at least 2 hours.
You can prepoo before going to bed, so you'll
just have to wash it off the next morning

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 24, 2017
● Shampoo

Wash your hair after pre pooing.

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:29pm On Nov 24, 2017
● Deep conditioner

--> I divided a deep conditioner into two containers
--> Then added coconut and olive oil for extra
moisture
--> I got a bottle spray filled with warm water, so I
can spray more water to my hair if it stars
getting dry (Hair is still wet because I had just
finished shampooing )

1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 24, 2017
●Deep condition

---> Apply the deep conditioner, just like you
would apply a relaxer

---> Comb/Detangle each section by combing
from the ends, moving towards the scalp
(This is very important. If you begin combing
from your scalp, you'll be dragging down
knots, pulling it down forcefully, ripping out
every healthy strand that comes your way.)

---> Cover with a shower cap and a cap that can
create warmth. Leave for 30 mins and then
wash off

1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:53pm On Nov 24, 2017
●Moisturizing

---> I do the LOC method but since I have low porosity
hair, products are usually too thick to absorb, which
is why I mix with water (You don't have to if you have
high porosity hair)

---> I usually mix my oil with my leave in. You don't have
to too. You can just apply it after the leave in

---> I only apply on my hair not scalp

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 24, 2017
●"Style"

---> Since I'm still transitioning, I have to comb the curls
out to even both textures

---> Then put it in a puff by tying a hair band around my
hair (just like you tie a rope) and then tucking the
ends in

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Ginaz(f): 8:52pm On Nov 24, 2017
lovelygurl:
●"Style"

---> Since I'm still transitioning, I have to comb the curls
out to even both textures

---> Then put it in a puff by tying a hair band around my
hair (just like you tie a rope) and then tucking the
ends in

Lovelygurl you can't ask after person sef?

Na WA o, is that how you do? embarassed

Anyway, my hair has been behaving amazingly. Since it doesn't like anything in a bottle, I've learnt to make do with homemade shampoo and conditioner. Just last week, the unimaginable happened. My hair got soft and curly shocked so soft I had to call my mother to touched it if it wasn't a trick on me.

I left it for two days without applying anything and it was still soft. shocked

I went to the market with it. I was receiving compliments left and right. Some asked how I made it curly, some out rightly asked me if it was weavon on my head. grin

My hair has tripled in body and in length. I would soon be parting it in four sections(i'm waiting for that day, I don tire to part hair in 15 sections)

My only problem is this, they say you should moisture your hair with water when it's dry. Some hair guru said you should have a spray bottle at hand to spray on your hair at intervals.

Whenever I spray my hair with water it gives off this musty smell I don't like. If I don't, it is OK. What should I do? Should I stop?

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 24, 2017
Ginaz:

Anyway, my hair has been behaving amazingly. Since it doesn't like anything in a bottle, I've learnt to make do with homemade shampoo and conditioner. Just last week, the unimaginable happened. My hair got soft and curly shocked so soft I had to call my mother to touched it if it wasn't a trick on me.

I went to the market with it. I was receiving compliments left and right. Some asked how I made it curly, some out rightly asked me if it was weavon on my head. grin

My hair has tripled in body and in length. I would soon be parting it in four sections(i'm waiting for that day, I don tire to part hair in 15 sections)

My only problem is this, they say you should moisture your hair with water when it's dry. Some hair guru said you should have a spray bottle at hand to spray on your hair at intervals.

Whenever I spray my hair with water it gives off this musty smell I don't like. If I don't, it is OK. What should I do? Should I stop?

Awww sorry dear lol! I'm so happy for you! If the curls are coming out, it means it's getting really moisturised!

You don't always have to carry a spray bottle with you. If it's dry, spray at home and seal it with an oil or leave in or both. As long as it is sealed, it should remain moisturised for at least 2-3 days
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Ginaz(f): 9:12pm On Nov 24, 2017
lovelygurl:

Awww sorry dear lol! I'm so happy for you! If the curls are coming out, it means it's getting really moisturised!

You don't always have to carry a spray bottle with you. If it's dry, spray at home and seal it with an oil or leave in or both. As long as it is sealed, it should remain moisturised for at least 2-3 days

I'm so happy too. I use only shea butter on my hair since my hair is so dry coconut oil doesn't do much. My hair doesn't like coconut oil. She's so choosy.

I'm so happy i've come this far. Thanks y'all for motivating me. My neighbor has relaxed her hair, said she can't cope. If not you guys I would have relaxed mine too. You saved a sister.

Now I love my hair so much..i've never been conscious about my hair like this. I go to the saloons and don't care what they do so long I get out. But this natural hair journey has taught me a whole lot. Now I wash my hair by myself and can treat it too.

Thanks lovelygurl for this thread. You won.

*my hair was curly like this pic, after day two the curls Shrunk but was still soft. How do I make the curls last. Or would it come on its own?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 24, 2017
Ginaz:

Now I love my hair so much..i've never been conscious about my hair like this. I go to the saloons and don't care what they do so long I get out. But this natural hair journey has taught me a whole lot. Now I wash my hair by myself and can treat it too.

*my hair was curly like this pic, after day two the curls Shrunk but was still soft. How do I make the curls last. Or would it come on its own?

Awww, this is so adorable cheesy. Maybe you should stretch it. Shrinkage is normal but stretching helps a lot. You can do the banding method on the night of day 1 or before it shrinks

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Vognaturals: 5:25am On Nov 25, 2017
Hello Ladies,if you are a naturalista in Abuja, come treat and style your hair at Vog naturals hair salon

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:33pm On Nov 26, 2017
I've been thinking about relaxing my hair and bought this Dark & Lovely relaxer last week. I'm yet to use it, partly b/c I'm still deliberating. It has really great reviews, though, so I'm not worried about the relaxer itself. After years of being natural, I thought I would NEVER buy a relaxer to use again.

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by amly6(f): 5:05pm On Nov 27, 2017
Ginaz:

Please how did you make the conditioner and shampoo
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Heebah: 6:56pm On Nov 27, 2017
Ginaz:

I'm so happy too. I use only shea butter on my hair since my hair is so dry coconut oil doesn't do much. My hair doesn't like coconut oil. She's so choosy.

I'm so happy i've come this far. Thanks y'all for motivating me. My neighbor has relaxed her hair, said she can't cope. If not you guys I would have relaxed mine too. You saved a sister.

Pls can u post pix of ur hair so we can see this wonderful transformation
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by noncy21: 7:40am On Dec 01, 2017
greetings everyone. pls admin add me to whatsapp group. tnx.
pls dont quote me cos i will edit d no as soon as am added. tnx.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by temmytopsy1(f): 2:07pm On Dec 02, 2017
@luvlygurl pls can I use dallas leave in for lph
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by expozey(f): 2:39pm On Dec 02, 2017
Wonderful wonderful thread lovelygurl. Very informative.
Been natural for a few years now. Starting to get tempted by this sisterlocks thing o.
I noticed my hair has refused to grow out for months now, only just gets fuller and thicker. What could be wrong?
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Ginaz(f): 2:44pm On Dec 02, 2017
Heebah:
Pls can u post pix of ur hair so we can see this wonderful transformation

Unfortunately my phone fell and got blanked last weekembarassed. All the pix lost I'm sad.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Ginaz(f): 2:46pm On Dec 02, 2017
amly6:
Please how did you make the conditioner and shampoo

Sorry for the late reply. I have phone issues. I make do with bitter leaf water as shampoo and rice water as conditioner.

2 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 02, 2017
temmytopsy1:
@luvlygurl pls can I use dallas leave in for lph

As long as there's no sulfate, silicone or petrealeum/ mineral oil in it, then sure why not?
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:01pm On Dec 02, 2017
expozey:
Wonderful wonderful thread lovelygurl. Very informative.
Been natural for a few years now. Starting to get tempted by this sisterlocks thing o.
I noticed my hair has refused to grow out for months now, only just gets fuller and thicker. What could be wrong?

If it's getting fuller and thicker, that means it's growing but you're just not seeing it. I have a feeling it's cos of shrinkage. You'd be surprised at the length if you decided stretch it out
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by temmytopsy1(f): 3:37pm On Dec 02, 2017
lovelygurl:

As long as there's no sulfate, silicone or petrealeum/ mineral oil in it, then sure why not?

thanks for the reply and weldone, the one I saw have expired so I couldn't buy it, all these products are not easy to get here(oru ijebu in ogun state). the only product I saw was hair wonder cream and I but coconut oil from those woman that are selling the measured one. I later realised I can't use coconut oil for my hair type. I don't know what to do. and how can I send pm on nairaland? I want to send you my number for the whatsapp group. thanks once again
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:43pm On Dec 02, 2017
temmytopsy1:

thanks for the reply and weldone, the one I saw have expired so I couldn't buy it, all these products are not easy to get here(oru ijebu in ogun state). the only product I saw was hair wonder cream and I but coconut oil from those woman that are selling the measured one. I later realised I can't use coconut oil for my hair type. I don't know what to do.

Omg! You live in Oru? I used to love around that area, on Ago Iwoye to be precise. I was born there grin

Anyway back to the hair problem. Using coconut oil is kinda tricky. I'm guessing you have low porosity hair. If you apply it, use a wooly cap to cover it up for about 30 mins, so it's going to sink in your hair. The warmth created will allow the oil to be absorbed by your hair. You can try the hair wonder cream. Most people say it's good
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:44pm On Dec 02, 2017
Noncy21, I already added you
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by temmytopsy1(f): 3:52pm On Dec 02, 2017
lovelygurl:

Omg! You live in Oru? I used to love around that area, on Ago Iwoye to be precise. I was born there grin

Anyway back to the hair problem. Using coconut oil is kinda tricky. I'm guessing you have low porosity hair. If you apply it, use a wooly cap to cover it up for about 30 mins, so it's going to sink in your hair. The warmth created will allow the oil to be absorbed by your hair. You can try the hair wonder cream. Most people say it's good

yes ooo we just moved here around september.

I will try that and pls how can I pm you on nairaland?
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 02, 2017
temmytopsy1:

yes ooo we just moved here around september.

I will try that and pls how can I pm you on nairaland?

I already sent you a message to your email
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Heebah: 4:39pm On Dec 02, 2017
Ginaz:

Unfortunately my phone fell and got blanked last weekembarassed. All the pix lost I'm sad.
Hmmm
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by tatacherie: 3:23pm On Dec 03, 2017
My honey bunny rocking her twist out and natural Afro
#teamnatural#

20 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (22) (Reply)

Brazilian Lady's Butt Explodes After Her Implants Were Infected (Graphic Photos) / G- Strings Or Granny Panties, Boxers or Briefs? / Before & After: Girl Bleaches Skin And Abuses Dark-skinned Girls..lol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.