Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:45 AM

University Of Ibadan, UI Publish New Grading System - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Ibadan, UI Publish New Grading System (6016 Views)

2017/2018 University of Ibadan(UI) Postgraduate Forms Is Out / University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread / JAMB Publish New Payment Methods For 2017/18 UTME Registration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

University Of Ibadan, UI Publish New Grading System by ajbf: 1:08pm On Feb 28, 2017
The authorities of the University of Ibadan (UI) has announced the implementation of the new 4-Point Grading System which will take effect from the 2016/2017 Academic Session.

The New Grading System and Minimum Units to be registered for and passed by students at each level, as well as Change in the status of GES courses in the University as follows:

The average minimum units taken at each Level should be 40 units.
The minimum units to be passed at each Level by students in order to proceed to the next Level should be 60% of 40 units.
All GES courses, with the exception of the “Use of English I & II (GES 101 and 201)”, should be made to acquire the status of REQUIRED COURSES.
The 4-Point Scale Grading System should be adopted in order to align with other universities world-wide and the recommendation of the National Universities Commission (NUC).
The above implies that the recommended Average Minimum Units expected of the students to take/ register for is now 40 units (for the new intakes: 100 Level) as against the old 30 units.

Given this development, the regulations guiding withdrawal of students in the University in respect of the new system are as follows:

100 Level: At the end of first year, a student who has passed less than 24 units should be asked to withdraw from the University.
200 Level: At the end of second year, a student who has passed less than 48 units (cumulative) should be asked to withdraw from the University.
300 Level: At the end of third year, a student who has passed less than 72 units (cumulative) should be asked to withdraw from the University.
The CGPA at each level should not be less than 1.0

Under the new Four (4)-Point Grading Scale, grades to be used for students who have satisfactorily completed the course of study are as follows:

Letter Grade: Marks Grade Point

A (70 and above above) 4
B (60-69%) 3
C (50-59%) 2
D (45-49%) 1
E (40-44%) 0

CGPA Ranges under the new Four (4)- Point Grading Scale for Classification of Degrees:

3.5 – 4.00 – First Class Honours.
3.0 – 3.49 – Second Class Honours (Upper Division).
2.0 – 2.99 – Second Class Honours (Lower Division).
1.0 – 1.99 – Third Class Honours.

No student whose CGPA is less than 1.0 shall be awarded a degree.

Deans of Faculties and Heads of Departments are enjoined to ensure compliance and commencement of the new regulations with the intakes of 2016/2017 Session, while the old regulations remain applicable to students admitted before the 2016/2017 Session.

http://campusportalng.com/ui/university-ibadan-new-grading-system/40957/
Re: University Of Ibadan, UI Publish New Grading System by Intrepid01(m): 1:11pm On Feb 28, 2017
Hmmm...UI and wonders. from 7.0 to 4.0 why not 5.0?
Re: University Of Ibadan, UI Publish New Grading System by ajbf: 1:13pm On Feb 28, 2017
Intrepid01:
Re: University Of Ibadan, UI Publish New Grading System by ajbf: 1:13pm On Feb 28, 2017
Intrepid01:
You are right.
Re: University Of Ibadan, UI Publish New Grading System by verygudbadguy(m): 1:36pm On Feb 28, 2017
U.I always separating itself from the rest.

Still the first and the best tho.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan, UI Publish New Grading System by lilliesboy(m): 7:50pm On Oct 24, 2019
This BIAS, particularly against postgraduate students coming from OTHER (African) universities and/or NON-Yoruba has been going on for MANY years in the University of Ibadan, Nigeria. They only PRETEND about it. If you ask (postgraduate) students/graduates of the University of Ibadan that came from OTHER universities, many of them will confirm what I am telling you.

One major and popular thing they use in identifying and differentiating THEIR own University of Ibadan alumni/first degree holders from OUTSIDE or NON-University of Ibadan graduates is the MATRICULATION NUMBER: all THEIR Unibadan products carry Matric Numbers that begins with number "1," while OUTSIDERS or non-Unibadan (postgraduate) students carry Matric Numbers that begin with "2". Once lecturers/staff see a student's Matriculation Number that begins with "2," they QUICKLY hold a stupid BIAS against the student and begin to NEGATIVELY judge their intelligence/academic performance based on that.

Records have shown that many Nigerian postgraduate students who came from OTHER universities had OFTEN outshine their so-called ONLY "best/brilliant" University of Ibadan alumni/products academically and otherwise. Thus, many lecturers and non-academic staff feel insulted and threatened like they are not good lecturers since it invariably means so if their students are not better than those coming from other universities or NON-Yoruba ethnic group. To justify this, they OFTEN score non-Unibadan or OUTSIDE students very LOW in exams but give their (dull) students/alumni BETTER (unmerited) grades and advantage. They also complement this injustice and systemic corruption by ALWAYS talking DOWN on non-Unibadan graduates or making a caricature of them in comparison to their own (dull) students in order to DEMORALIZE them (OUTSIDE students/NON-Yoruba) by making them feel TIMID or like they do not know anything and never merited their (first) good degrees. This is clearly a form of PSYCHOLOGICAL warfare and should be punished if Nigeria was an advanced society with a high rule of law.

These systemic corruption and injustice are the MAIN reasons why so MANY (Yoruba) students in this part of the country, most of them DUNES, are awarded Ph.D, made professors, SAN etc., than the rest region of the country. It is because they are in CONTROL of the (educational) system, NOT because they are the most intelligent. I tell you, SO MANY of them with Ph.D. and Professorial degrees/tiles know very little or NOTHING compared to those in the Niger Delta and other areas. I and others who have lived here KNOW what we are talking about. Na DASH dem dey DASH many of dere pipul here wit dos (UNMERITED) degrees and awards.

Imagine "postgraduate" students who cannot speak neither write a simple good sentence; some of them in class even talk in YORUBA when presenting seminar paper since they cannot speak in simple English. Their papers are full of many grammatical blunders and misspellings; I and others even help them to edit their works. Yet, whenever results comes out these set of (Yoruba) students ALWAYS score HIGHER - 60% and above, than many of us who are NON-Yoruba and/or NON-University of Ibadan alumni. So much injustice, corruption and so-called tribalism here. Hypocrisy of the highest order!

I will NEVER relent concerning those poor seven (7) results! Let them do their usual gang up and manipulation to subvert justice and cover up their evil tracks; I will not relent. This matter may go very FAR if they do not do the right thing! Those are NOT my real scores and can NEVER be!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan, UI Publish New Grading System by Hueyreckless0007: 9:56am On Dec 18, 2023
lilliesboy:
This BIAS, particularly against postgraduate students coming from OTHER (African) universities and/or NON-Yoruba has been going on for MANY years in the University of Ibadan, Nigeria. They only PRETEND about it. If you ask (postgraduate) students/graduates of the University of Ibadan that came from OTHER universities, many of them will confirm what I am telling you.

One major and popular thing they use in identifying and differentiating THEIR own University of Ibadan alumni/first degree holders from OUTSIDE or NON-University of Ibadan graduates is the MATRICULATION NUMBER: all THEIR Unibadan products carry Matric Numbers that begins with number "1," while OUTSIDERS or non-Unibadan (postgraduate) students carry Matric Numbers that begin with "2". Once lecturers/staff see a student's Matriculation Number that begins with "2," they QUICKLY hold a stupid BIAS against the student and begin to NEGATIVELY judge their intelligence/academic performance based on that.

Records have shown that many Nigerian postgraduate students who came from OTHER universities had OFTEN outshine their so-called ONLY "best/brilliant" University of Ibadan alumni/products academically and otherwise. Thus, many lecturers and non-academic staff feel insulted and threatened like they are not good lecturers since it invariably means so if their students are not better than those coming from other universities or NON-Yoruba ethnic group. To justify this, they OFTEN score non-Unibadan or OUTSIDE students very LOW in exams but give their (dull) students/alumni BETTER (unmerited) grades and advantage. They also complement this injustice and systemic corruption by ALWAYS talking DOWN on non-Unibadan graduates or making a caricature of them in comparison to their own (dull) students in order to DEMORALIZE them (OUTSIDE students/NON-Yoruba) by making them feel TIMID or like they do not know anything and never merited their (first) good degrees. This is clearly a form of PSYCHOLOGICAL warfare and should be punished if Nigeria was an advanced society with a high rule of law.

These systemic corruption and injustice are the MAIN reasons why so MANY (Yoruba) students in this part of the country, most of them DUNES, are awarded Ph.D, made professors, SAN etc., than the rest region of the country. It is because they are in CONTROL of the (educational) system, NOT because they are the most intelligent. I tell you, SO MANY of them with Ph.D. and Professorial degrees/tiles know very little or NOTHING compared to those in the Niger Delta and other areas. I and others who have lived here KNOW what we are talking about. Na DASH dem dey DASH many of dere pipul here wit dos (UNMERITED) degrees and awards.

Imagine "postgraduate" students who cannot speak neither write a simple good sentence; some of them in class even talk in YORUBA when presenting seminar paper since they cannot speak in simple English. Their papers are full of many grammatical blunders and misspellings; I and others even help them to edit their works. Yet, whenever results comes out these set of (Yoruba) students ALWAYS score HIGHER - 60% and above, than many of us who are NON-Yoruba and/or NON-University of Ibadan alumni. So much injustice, corruption and so-called tribalism here. Hypocrisy of the highest order!

I will NEVER relent concerning those poor seven (7) results! Let them do their usual gang up and manipulation to subvert justice and cover up their evil tracks; I will not relent. This matter may go very FAR if they do not do the right thing! Those are NOT my real scores and can NEVER be!

I still remember vividly when i first read this post in 2019. As at that time, i had just applied and waiting for admission.

Tbh, i just had to find this post and comment on it. Everything you have said is 100% accurate.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Sambo Inaugurates Bauchi State University / 7 Cheapest Universities In UK For International Students / Beautiful Pictures Of St Kizito Secondary School Umudioka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.