Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? (22083 Views)

Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives / Handling The Issue of Giving Financial Support To Relatives / Are Fathers Jealous Of Their Kids? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 18, 2010
Travelling abroad is not a big deal,u can make in nigeria.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by otondo55: 4:32pm On Feb 18, 2010
Yes when they started on me

I then know am doing well.

In the office, at home ,

even people i dont know.

God is in control !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by TPS360: 4:40pm On Feb 18, 2010
thats life for you @ poster
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by villous(m): 4:51pm On Feb 18, 2010
it is an african cultures
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by janykute: 5:01pm On Feb 18, 2010
villous:

it is an african cultures

Nothing like an african culture,rather human nature.Oyibos too are jealous.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by dominique(f): 5:09pm On Feb 18, 2010
janykute:

Nothing like an african culture,rather human nature.Oyibos too are jealous.

help me tell him.
i dont know why we Africans like bringing ourselves down.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by chidyke77(m): 5:36pm On Feb 18, 2010
That her attitude is a minor jealousy in human being bt may grow to hatred,envy and other evil intention to bring her down.
The best prayer for ur relatives neighbours and friends is to wish them well and successful too because any diabolical means to bring u down always comes frm them.
So pray for her children and ur cousin to succeed too because this is hw it starts.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by DakANGEL(f): 5:44pm On Feb 18, 2010
chidyke77:

That her attitude is a minor jealousy in human being bt may grow to hatred,envy and other evil intention to bring her down.
The best prayer for your relatives neighbours and friends is to wish them well and successful too because any diabolical means to bring u down always comes frm them.
So pray for her children and your cousin to succeed too because this is hw it starts.

Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by untainted: 5:48pm On Feb 18, 2010
dominique:

help me tell him.

so very right!
I guess its cus a lot of people have never visited an international
airport but think they know everything about the west. (power of Hollywood) u may say.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by adconline(m): 7:43pm On Feb 18, 2010
For example: my sister happened to travel to america and all of a sudden, my aunty is always telling her children to quickly graduate from university so that they can travel. don't you see that as jealousy? also my cousin is always like hmmm, your sister is enjoying in america, i will come and meet her there. As for me i feel those comments are not good. they are only envious about her. what do you guys think?
U need some growing up to do. Telling her kids to graduate and travel to America doesnt sound like to jealousy to me. I'm jealousy of Dangote's success, doest that mean that I want him dead?
Besides, not all bouncing babies are boucing in America, some dey crawl oh!
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by ayettymama(f): 7:53pm On Feb 18, 2010
Instead of you to be happy, your family is looking up to your sister you are complaining. If all your relatives ignored the fact that she travelled im pretty sure you'd be saying the same thing. Not to say sometimes relative cant bhe jealous. But i think sometimes people should look at things from all angles that constantly jump to negative conclusions.

I am flattered by people that say they wanna be like me- your sista shuld be too!
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Feb 18, 2010
kokoye:

@ post.

your auntie's comments does not sound like jealousy - she just wants the best for her kids as well. is there anything wrong with that?

The jealous and evil nigerian woman will not talk about it infront of you - they will just be wishing evil behind ones back.
You are the one trying to insinuate and create a mountain where there is none.

Rumor mongerer.

Maybe you are also jealous of your sister and you are just trying to deflect it.

grin

That's right!
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 18, 2010
sophy09:

It is not only relatives that are jealous of one's success. Friends, neighbors and at times people you do not know. I was in

the bus, the traffic was something else. There was a young guy driving a latest car, he was trying to switch lanes and he

begged the bus driver for space in front of him. The guy in the bus screamed at the driver NO! He was so angry, "No, don't

give him any chance at all, all these rich men children. They  think they can just do anything they want."
People in the bus

just turned to look at him. The driver was forced to ask if he knew him before. So my sister outsiders sef they jealous

people.

shocked shocked shocked

Anh anh.

So e don reach that level.

Anyway, if I were sitting next to that person, I go just switch seat, fiam!
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Feb 18, 2010
dominique:

help me tell him.
untainted:

so very right!
I guess its cus a lot of people have never visited an international
airport but think they know everything about the west. (power of Hollywood) u may say.

^^^

I second these motions!
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Redman44(m): 8:37pm On Feb 18, 2010
how did this thread make the front page? Oh my God!! sad sad sad
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by wiseguy(m): 8:56pm On Feb 18, 2010
, so am not alone on this.

that's refreshing. Worry no more my dear me.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by damola1: 9:20pm On Feb 18, 2010
You have no work to do, that's why you think someone is jealous of you. Jobless boy.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by pete(m): 11:07pm On Feb 18, 2010
@ poster and the whole house, jealousy is a necessary evil. It's bad when-as one poster noted-it becomes aggressive. As another poster noted, juju and air commanders are then involved, or for the Oyinbos, reporting to boss and not saying hi and all that other vices gets in.

Not only family, friends as well can catch the virus,  Bible mentioned it as one of the sins of the flesh.

You be on your guard and be sure you shake it off when it comes

Its only those who are behind you, that would "BACKbite you.

Also, friends, play low, keep it simple, avoid room for potential aaggressivejealousy whenever you can
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by willoughby: 11:24pm On Feb 18, 2010
Why should they not be jealous, must times, the ones that does well in the family are the ones that the family believes are not capable of success,a nobody in the family,once a dullard, in short, hopeless. Now, all of a sudden, he becomes somebody without there help. Confirm, beef must set in. My brothers and sisters, it happened to me. Now am a superstar.[color=#990000][/color]

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by latepa(m): 1:19am On Feb 19, 2010
Well i believe we all know what jealousy can cause so please end this topic, NEXT!!
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by pete(m): 1:37am On Feb 19, 2010
[b][/b]Not everybody likes and enjoy a topic like this, moreso, since it doesn't involve strong opinions and calling of names. I think its a fine topic where we could share our experiences as well as learn from each other's point of view. So please don't end the topic, end your viewing if you so want to, but let the other guys enjoy!
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by greateliso(m): 6:02am On Feb 19, 2010
1quality:

Travelling abroad is not a big deal,u can make in nigeria.

thats one thing ppl must understand

well @poster, i don't call that jealous, these are one of the main thing that makes life interesting, u must face it
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by carlinks: 7:38am On Feb 19, 2010
the example she gave might be inappropriate but even if she was downplaying the whole story, we all know what she is trying to say

Ask those who have felt the anger and jealousy of their relatives and you would be amazed at what extent some people would go
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Orestik(f): 9:14am On Feb 19, 2010
Merhn its really bad o especially Yorubas. You can imagine they are already counting how many children my dad has. Infact they said i was not his child so that they will know how to share his property amongst themselves when he dies. THe man that is still hale and hearty. i tire for them, shocked cry angry
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Shinatu: 10:02am On Feb 19, 2010
As someone mentioned earlier, it is natural to feel bad if you are not doing well and you have someone around who seems to be doing everything right
It is just that some people are ready to do you harm just to prove that you are not that good.

I have learnt that it is not good to be a local champion and surround yourselves with people who will always look up to you, that is asking for wahala, in as much as it is good to be good to people, you may end up spending your whole life trying please them and you will never please  them, as far as they are concerned you have more than enough so you should always do this or do that.

Have you ever noticed that the same statement you make to a friend or relative who is successful that he/she laughs over will create wahala if you say it to a poor friend/relative?

You always have to watch what you say or do when you are with them because all your actions will be interpreted as ' na because we no get car/house/good clothes' just to arouse the sympathy of the Masses and you never can tell who is listening!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by bebe4u(f): 10:07am On Feb 19, 2010
i will share my experience and lesson learnt.

i have a mentor where i work, he has been in the system for 10yrs and i just got hired then, he helped me settled in and kind of be on the look out for me concerning my career path and other office bureaucracy. One day i mentioned my pay to him and bam the next day his comments became very inflammatory and his attitude isn't very warm any more. thou i was wise not to tell him the exact amount it didn't help issues.

2ND episode

I got promoted last month , 2steps ahead of my colleague and now he is raising hell that i didn't tell him about it right from onset, he is not talking to me now.

I'm yet to understand why i owe him that line of story , his argument is since he is my friend ( not boyfriend oh ) i would've told him right from onset.

The only smooth relationship i have in the office now is with a female friend of mine and i guess its because i have not told her any thing. my family members don't take No as an answer or later now concerning their demands just because i shared my goodnews with them.

Lesson learnt
Say less to people, friends, family members,colleagues,church members, pastors etc,

1 Like

Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Nobody: 10:16am On Feb 19, 2010
envy is human nature.we were born in2 a sinful world so hate it or not there are people that'll be jealous of u.d only reason y any human being will not be jealous of u is if u r not successful.afterall i've never heard anybody say i envy dis mad man or i envy dat poor man.d only way u can deal with envy is by wisdom
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Shinatu: 11:14am On Feb 19, 2010
bebe4u:

i will share my experience and lesson learnt.

i have a mentor where i work, he has been in the system for 10yrs and i just got hired then, he helped me settled in and kind of be on the look out for me concerning my career path and other office bureaucracy. One day i mentioned my pay to him and bam the next day his comments became very inflammatory and his attitude isn't very warm any more. thou i was wise not to tell him the exact amount it didn't help issues.

2ND episode

I got promoted last month , 2steps ahead of my colleague and now he is raising hell that i didn't tell him about it right from onset, he is not talking to me now.

I'm yet to understand why i owe him that line of story , his argument is since he is my friend ( not boyfriend oh ) i would've told him right from onset.

The only smooth relationship i have in the office now is with a female friend of mine and i guess its because i have not told her any thing. my family members don't take No as an answer or later now concerning their demands just because i shared my goodnews with them.

Lesson learnt
Say less to people, friends, family members,colleagues,church members, pastors etc,

@bebe4u

Another lesson could be 'do not take what you are not ready to give'
Friendship demands, once you start to receive help and support from someone, it automatically places some demands on you too, that is why the guy expected that you would at least tell him you were promoted.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by enomakos(m): 1:08pm On Feb 19, 2010
@sophy09

i agree with you,things like this happened daily in nigeria

is it now a crime to be successful?
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by enomakos(m): 1:35pm On Feb 19, 2010
it is human nature but very common with blacks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Marrying A Feminist / Women Are Bad Marriage Advisers. / "I Quit My Job To Submit To My Husband"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.