Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,258 members, 7,807,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

Wet Season Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Wet Season Farming (3489 Views)

Coscharis Is Developing Infrastructures For Dry Season Farming In Anambra- Pics / 250 Trailers Load With Fertilizer Arrive Kebbi For Dry Season Farming / Wet Season Maize Cultivation (simple Steps To Follow) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Wet Season Farming by farmerwealth(m): 5:35pm On Feb 28, 2017
Nigeria is known for two seasons, the dry (harmattan) and rainy (wet) seasons. I must tell you from my experience and point of view dry season farming is the best especially for vegetables (cucumber, watermelon, (tomatoes, pumpkin etc ), provided you have the resources (irrigation). My reasons; you can easily control the amount of water required, weeds problem is reduced, pests and diseases are minimal and above all more profit margin as most farmers especially southerners go to rest. No wonder the northerners are the king in vegies production. But do you realise that the southerners have more upper hand when it comes to farming, this because we're blessed with two seasons (wet and dry), yet we only utilize only one of the season (wet). Well the excuse I've come to know is that dry season farming is expensive. To be sincere I concur. But why can't we make the money during the raining season, to prepare the dry season? I can bet it that you would probably realise whatever you invest and make more profit than wet season. So what am saying in essence is that the rainy season is almost here so let's utilize this God given opportunity properly, make money and get prepared for the dry season. Because this where our forefathers got it wrong, they farm during wet and wait for the wet season. We must change that, and this is time we do that.
Crops you can plant and harvest between 2-3months are; cuccumber, watermelon, tomatoes, maize and the leafy vegs.
Common crops grown in the south during rainy season are cassava, yam, maize etc. It'll be good if you can intercrop your cassava farm with maize.
You can call 08108776718/whatsapp 08059371220 for your farm establishment and management

Re: Wet Season Farming by pat077: 3:24pm On Mar 16, 2017
Does intercropping maize with cassava reduces the yieldof either of the two? And, also which one shld one plant first ; cassava or maize?

(1) (Reply)

Risks Associated With Fish Farming And How To Prevent Them / Cocoa Plantation A To Z: The Game Changer And Money Spinner By Organicfoods / Where Can I Buy Ostrich Eggs In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.