Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,724 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:40 AM

Happy Ash Wednesday - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Happy Ash Wednesday (14257 Views)

Catholics Mark Ash Wednesday In Black Outfits To Protest Against Insecurity / Insecurity: Catholics In Nigeria To Wear Black Outfits On Ash Wednesday / Happy Ash Wednesday To All Catholic Faithfuls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Happy Ash Wednesday by leokennedi(m): 12:04am On Mar 01, 2017
Ash Wednesday is one of the most popular and important holy days in the liturgical calendar. Ash Wednesday opens Lent, a season of fasting and prayer.
Ash Wednesday takes place 46 days before Easter Sunday, and is cheifly observed by Catholics, although many other Christians observe it too.

Ash Wednesday comes from the ancient Jewish tradition of penance and fasting. The practice includes the wearing of ashes on the head. The ashes symbolize the dust from which God made us. As the priest applies the ashes to a person's forehead, he speaks the words: "Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return."
Alternatively, the priest may speak the words, "Repent and believe in the gospel".
Ashes also symbolize grief, in this case, grief that we have sinned and caused division from God.
Writings from the Second-century Church refer to the wearing of ashes as a sign of penance.
Priests administer ashes during Mass and all are invited to accept the ashes as a visible symbol of penance. Even non-Christians and the excommunicated are welcome to receive the ashes. The ashes are made from blessed palm branches, taken from the previous year's palm Sunday Mass.

It is important to remember that Ash Wednesday is a day of penitential prayer and fasting. Some faithful take the rest of the day off work and remain home. It is generally inappropriate to dine out, to shop, or to go about in public after receiving the ashes. Feasting is highly inappropriate. Small children, the elderly and sick are exempt from this observance.
It is not required that a person wear the ashes for the rest of the day, and they may be washed off after Mass. However, many people keep the ashes as a reminder until the evening.
Recently, movements have developed that involve pastors distributing ashes to passersby in public places. This isn't considered taboo, but Catholics should know this practice is distinctly Protestant. Catholics should still receive ashes within the context of Mass.
In some cases, ashes may be delivered by a priest or a family member to those who are sick or shut-in.

Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Season of Lent. It is a season of penance, reflection, and fasting which prepares us for Christ's Resurrection on Easter Sunday, through which we attain redemption.
Why we receive the ashes
Following the example of the Nine vites, who did penance in sackcloth and ashes, our foreheads are marked with ashes to humble our hearts and reminds us that life passes away on Earth. We remember this when we are told
"Remember, Man is dust, and unto dust you shall return."

Ashes are a symbol of penance made sacramental by the blessing of the Church, and they help us develop a spirit of humility and sacrifice.
The distribution of ashes comes from a ceremony of ages past. Christians who had committed grave faults performed public penance. On Ash Wednesday, the Bishop blessed the hair shirts which they were to wear during the forty days of penance, and sprinkled over them ashes made from the palms from the previous year. Then, while the faithful recited the Seven Penitential Psalms, the penitents were turned out of the church because of their sins -- just as Adam, the first man, was turned out of Paradise because of his disobedience. The penitents did not enter the church again until Maundy Thursday after having won reconciliation by the toil of forty days' penance and sacramental absolution. Later, all Christians, whether public or secret penitents, came to receive ashes out of devotion. In earlier times, the distribution of ashes was followed by a penitential procession.

The Ashes
The ashes are made from the blessed palms used in the Palm Sunday celebration of the previous year. The ashes are christened with Holy Water and are scented by exposure to incense. While the ashes symbolize penance and contrition, they are also a reminder that God is gracious and merciful to those who call on Him with repentant hearts. His Divine mercy is of utmost importance during the season of Lent, and the Church calls on us to seek that mercy during the entire Lenten season with reflection, prayer and penance.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by ayourbamie: 12:25am On Mar 01, 2017
Its a season of sober reflection

14 Likes

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by Nobody: 1:49am On Mar 01, 2017
May God have mercy on us

13 Likes

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by ifyeez: 1:56am On Mar 01, 2017
My day
Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by adonbilivit: 4:38am On Mar 01, 2017
So no meat today? Chai! Happy ash Wednesday to Nigerians as we gradually come out of this recession. check and click on my signature to come out of it quicker

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by Nobody: 4:44am On Mar 01, 2017
UNA NO DEY SLEEP? SOMEBORI PASS ME CHICKEN JOOO

1 Like

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by edlion57(m): 4:49am On Mar 01, 2017
..we will always MARCH forward to all the new months..hapi new month to zombies Wailers flat heads brown roof and afonjas...we will always increase seun money grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by kingsinhno1: 4:50am On Mar 01, 2017
HAPPY NEW MONTH. AND ASH WEDNESDAY. I PRONOUNCE NO RECESSION DIS MONTH IN JESUS NAME. AMEN

5 Likes

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by chemistry157: 4:50am On Mar 01, 2017
So lent don start be dat Easter is coming......
Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by Nobody: 4:50am On Mar 01, 2017
#fishchoppinmodeactivated. wink

1 Like

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by Pennyways: 4:51am On Mar 01, 2017
Yesooooo, our 2017 Lenten season just begins
Happy Ash Wednesday/new month to my follow Catholics

I'm very proud to be a Catholic

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by SunFlow(m): 4:53am On Mar 01, 2017
Same to you
Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by Mjshexy(f): 4:54am On Mar 01, 2017
Happy New Month Fam... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by princeakins(m): 4:54am On Mar 01, 2017
Happy new month. .. To all Nairalanders kiss cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by Bitojoe(m): 4:54am On Mar 01, 2017
Pls what date is Easter?
Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by Imunose(f): 4:56am On Mar 01, 2017
Tnk God for the grace to observe anoda season of lent.
This period is for us to remember d suffering and death of Jesus in atonement for ours sins and also celebrate His resurrection on Easter Day. To all catholics, observe ur lent deligently.

9 Likes

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by naija1stpikin: 4:56am On Mar 01, 2017
tongue tongue
Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by Ask4Info: 4:57am On Mar 01, 2017
Christians are the most Hipocritical Creatures on Eart.

Lent : They will give excuse why it isn't compulsory to fast.

Fast : They will come up with excuses to best suit their time. 12noon, 3pm, 6pm. Some will even say you are allowed to drink water or eat fruit inbetween.

Dressing: You are allowed to dress anyhow, i.e. expose you cleavage and thighs, wear weavon and eye lashes, piercing and tattoos. "Afterall Jesus has wiped away our sins".

Sex:
Premarital sex is now very much permitted. Even pastors no longer preach against it

Catholic Remains the True Christianity.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by femi4: 4:59am On Mar 01, 2017
Bitojoe:
Pls what date is Easter?
Sunday April 16

3 Likes

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by dadebayo1(m): 5:01am On Mar 01, 2017
#wednesday..... Dust2Dust

2 Likes

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by tboyO2: 5:04am On Mar 01, 2017
I will die a catholic and I'm proud to be a catholic.

kiss kiss kiss

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by ichommy(m): 5:04am On Mar 01, 2017
undecided undecided
Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by Ogashub(m): 5:04am On Mar 01, 2017
grin
Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by ugwuishi(m): 5:07am On Mar 01, 2017
PROUDLY ROMAN CATHOLIC....Here we go!

19 Likes

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by Nobody: 5:13am On Mar 01, 2017
Happy Ash Wednesday to my fellow Catholics

27 Likes

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by Nobody: 5:13am On Mar 01, 2017
Thank you
Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by darbeelicous(f): 5:13am On Mar 01, 2017
Hypocrite angry angry angry
Ask4Info:
Christians are the most Hipocritical Creatures on Eart.

Lent : They will give excuse why it isn't compulsory to fast.

Fast : They will come up with excuses to best suit their time. 12noon, 3pm, 6pm. Some will even say you are allowed to drink water or eat fruit inbetween.

Dressing: You are allowed to dress anyhow, i.e. expose you cleavage and thighs, wear weavon and eye lashes, piercing and tattoos. "Afterall Jesus has wiped away our sins".

Sex:
Premarital sex is now very much permitted. Even pastors no longer preach against it

Catholic Remains the True Christianity.

5 Likes

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by rawpadgin(m): 5:14am On Mar 01, 2017
my question is, why are Catholics bowing to an image Wen the Bible clearly says.......

New International Version:

"You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
New Living Translation:

"You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea.
English Standard Version:

“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
New American Standard Bible:

"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.
King James Bible:

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Holman Christian Standard Bible:

Do not make an idol for yourself, whether in the shape of anything in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters under the earth.
International Standard Version:

"You are not to make for yourselves an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above, or on earth below, or in the water under the earth.
NET Bible:

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above or that is on the earth beneath or that is in the water below.
New Heart English Bible:

"Do not make for yourselves an idol, nor any image of anything that is in the heavens above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
GOD'S WORD® Translation:

Never make your own carved idols or statues that represent any creature in the sky, on the earth, or in the water.
JPS Tanakh 1917:

Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any manner of likeness, of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
New American Standard 1977:

“You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.
Jubilee Bible 2000:

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above or that is in the earth beneath nor that is in the water under the earth.

someone should please clarify this

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by Pennyways: 5:16am On Mar 01, 2017
Bitojoe:
Pls what date is Easter?
9/04/2017 Palm Sunday
13/04/2017 Holy Thursday
14/04/2017 Good Friday
15/04/2017 Holy Saturday/Easter Virgil
16/04/2017 Easter Sunday

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by spayor(m): 5:21am On Mar 01, 2017
Talking in mudiaga voice....if God can change my name from ayodele to Stephen why can't I change diz correct bush meat to fish....abeg chop anyting wey com ur way joor...make ur fowl no mistakenly come visit him friend for my compound o....cos e no go go house again!!!
Re: Happy Ash Wednesday by Nobody: 5:23am On Mar 01, 2017
Even fake Catholics will put ash on their foreheads today

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Benny Hinn's Miracle & Impartation Service At Christ Embassy / I Am No Longer A Christian, God Has Failed Me / I Lose Interest In Going To Church And I Don't Know Why.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.