Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession (15852 Views)

Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU ) Has The Most Beautiful Campus In Nigeria? / UN International University For Peace Establishes First African Campus In Enugu / Huawei's New Campus In China Looks Like A Big European City (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by ItalianWine(f): 10:22am On Mar 01, 2017
I have spent all of my previous semesters as a student of Obafemi Awolowo University living on campus, and witnessing both the awesomeness and horrors of students living in the famous halls of residence. Life's pretty harsh around here, I've seen people go an entire day on an empty stomach, whilst still chasing multiple lectures in multiple locations, and after it all, they return to their rooms to soak Gari in the murky "Omole water" (named after the erstwhile Vice-Chancellor), and paltry peanuts and sugar. Pile all that on top of the misery of the current economic recession and growing inflation, resources dry up fast, and students end up drained, emaciated, in poor psychological state, overall in very bad shape. It's a hard life. But you should learn to afford yourself as much comfort as possible.

1- Manage your resources

All fingers are not equal. This saying is too popular to be forgotten, and yet many students have no value for it other than to recall it sometimes when they it helps them little. There's always a lot you want, but there's only a portion of it that you NEED. You need to use a scale of preference in every situation. Your friends and neighbours may be wearing cool shirts and nice shoes to every class, looking fresh and expensive. But that's what you see, what you cannot immediately notice is the difference between what resources they have and what you have, and even what they themselves are going through beneath those cool faces.

So you have #3000, what are your needs? First, write down everything you wish you had at the moment, now pick out the ones that you cannot do without. You're running low on foodstuffs, and it may be a while till you get any more money. But you also want this really cool shoes, so ask yourself which one you cannot live without.

Also, do you know that those snacks and meals at canteens are sapping more of your resources than you can imagine? If you buy one "Gala" sausage roll for #50 and the plastic bottled 7up for #100, you've spent #150, and of that five hundred naira in your hand you have #350 left. It still feels like a lot, till you buy #100 recharge card, Sugar and peanuts for #50, and then you have #200 left. You photocopy someone's notebook for #40, bought banana chips for #50 amidst lectures, and a sachet of pure water for #10. And now you have #100 left, in just half a day.

What could you have done, you could have bought vegetable for #100, cow skin (Ponmo) for #120, and #20 locust beans. Then you could have used the little palm oil left to cook it with some powdered pepper, and you have something to eat with for 3 days! You eat "Eba" or Rice with it, you'll be fine, with about #260 left. You'll eat before going to class and you won't need the junk food!

Manage your resources well.

2- Don't suffer in silence

When you're low on cash, or you're down on foodstuffs, don't hesitate to tell someone about it. Your Parents, your relatives, your friends... If you're not frivolous with your spending don't be shy to ask when you're in need. Don't just surmise that the economy is bad, look for those who can help you, and tell them about it. Suffering in silence is the worst thing that can happen to a student, just tell someone about it, someone who can help you.

3 - Don't overdo anything

Don't overspend, over-buy, overtly stress yourself, or trouble yourself with needless burdens. Don't buy 3 things of which you need one. You probably do not need another pair of jeans. And you probably do not need an extra pair of shoes, and you probably shouldn't get it.

Don't go out of your own way to buy a girl/guy anything! Your girlfriend or your boyfriend is not your wife/husband! And that girl who's your crush is not going to fall in love with you because you bought her #1000 recharge card, in fact, she may be using your attraction to her as an advantage. Be wise.

And have fun. Carefully

Source: Campus Punch

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Mustiboy(m): 10:58am On Mar 01, 2017
be stingy and stone-faced, do not share with anyone cause no one is ready to share with others.
That is the way forward.

ME: Ada, I got ftc on nairaland today o
ADA: so, dem come pay u money 4 ur account?
ME: u ehn... U wan dey whynn me abi

25 Likes

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by lilfreezy: 12:38pm On Mar 01, 2017
I used to lend friends money on campus, after i do that i realise their brokness were transferred to me and to collect my own money become wahala. Nobody tell me make i change, anybody wey wan borrow money i go just tell say i no get, dem no fit kill me.

It's good to be stingy sometimes grin

15 Likes

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 01, 2017
Start a small business

I had a friend who used to sell "jalamiya" (Arabia men's gown) in school to support his allowances. He was discreet about it and he made some profit too. It could work for students in tough times like this

5 Likes

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by babyfaceafrica: 12:39pm On Mar 01, 2017
Lolz..ladies will do olosho,boys will do yahoo

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by arthur1000(m): 12:39pm On Mar 01, 2017
Slay all u can lols for dem queen

3 Likes

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by ollaxworld: 12:39pm On Mar 01, 2017
keep rich female friends and vice-versa

1 Like

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Judolisco(m): 12:39pm On Mar 01, 2017
I swear dis recession no b here oh for my side pure water don turn 15box
Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by burkingx(f): 12:40pm On Mar 01, 2017
grin

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by yaqq: 12:41pm On Mar 01, 2017
no matter how much u try recession fear noo face! most students don use them school fees n pockets money do MMM

1 Like

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by shams040(m): 12:41pm On Mar 01, 2017
. coming back
Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Pavore9: 12:42pm On Mar 01, 2017
It is really disheartening, studying with an empty stomach!
Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Hoodfriend(m): 12:42pm On Mar 01, 2017
That's Right
Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Thisis2raw(m): 12:43pm On Mar 01, 2017
Nice tips
Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Nobody: 12:44pm On Mar 01, 2017
Drink Lot of water and less food

hehehe
Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by MistaDamex: 12:44pm On Mar 01, 2017
Mustiboy:
be stingy and stone-faced, do not share with anyone cause no one is ready to share with others.
That is the way forward.

lol. na so we dey roll for campus oo
Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Arewa12: 12:45pm On Mar 01, 2017
Nice

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Ekponoimo(m): 12:46pm On Mar 01, 2017
ItalianWine:
I have spent all of my previous semesters as a student of Obafemi Awolowo University living on campus, and witnessing both the awesomeness and horrors of students living in the famous halls of residence. Life's pretty harsh around here, I've seen people go an entire day on an empty stomach, whilst still chasing multiple lectures in multiple locations, and after it all, they return to their rooms to soak Gari in the murky "Omole water" (named after the erstwhile Vice-Chancellor), and paltry peanuts and sugar. Pile all that on top of the misery of the current economic recession and growing inflation, resources dry up fast, and students end up drained, emaciated, in poor psychological state, overall in very bad shape. It's a hard life. But you should learn to afford yourself as much comfort as possible.

1- Manage your resources

All fingers are not equal. This saying is too popular to be forgotten, and yet many students have no value for it other than to recall it sometimes when they it helps them little. There's always a lot you want, but there's only a portion of it that you NEED. You need to use a scale of preference in every situation. Your friends and neighbours may be wearing cool shirts and nice shoes to every class, looking fresh and expensive. But that's what you see, what you cannot immediately notice is the difference between what resources they have and what you have, and even what they themselves are going through beneath those cool faces.

So you have #3000, what are your needs? First, write down everything you wish you had at the moment, now pick out the ones that you cannot do without. You're running low on foodstuffs, and it may be a while till you get any more money. But you also want this really cool shoes, so ask yourself which one you cannot live without.

Also, do you know that those snacks and meals at canteens are sapping more of your resources than you can imagine? If you buy one "Gala" sausage roll for #50 and the plastic bottled 7up for #100, you've spent #150, and of that five hundred naira in your hand you have #350 left. It still feels like a lot, till you buy #100 recharge card, Sugar and peanuts for #50, and then you have #200 left. You photocopy someone's notebook for #40, bought banana chips for #50 amidst lectures, and a sachet of pure water for #10. And now you have #100 left, in just half a day.

What could you have done, you could have bought vegetable for #100, cow skin (Ponmo) for #120, and #20 locust beans. Then you could have used the little palm oil left to cook it with some powdered pepper, and you have something to eat with for 3 days! You eat "Eba" or Rice with it, you'll be fine, with about #260 left. You'll eat before going to class and you won't need the junk food!

When you're low on cash, or you're down on foodstuffs, don't hesitate to tell someone about it. Your Parents, your relatives, your friends... If you're not frivolous with your spending don't be shy to ask when you're in need. Don't just surmise that the economy is bad, look for those who can help you, and tell them about it. Suffering in silence is the worst thing that can happen to a student, just tell someone about it, someone who can help you.

Don't overspend, over-buy, overtly stress yourself, or trouble yourself with needless burdens. Don't buy 3 things of which you need one. You probably do not need another pair of jeans. And you probably do not need an extra pair of shoes, and you probably shouldn't get it.

Don't go out of your own way to buy a girl/guy anything! Your girlfriend or your boyfriend is not your wife/husband! And that girl who's your crush is not going to fall in love with you because you bought her #1000 recharge card, in fact, she may be using your attraction to her as an advantage. Be wise.

And have fun. Carefully

Aunty u go stingy o.. sad
Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by MistaDamex: 12:47pm On Mar 01, 2017
Tazmode:
Start a small business

I had a friend who used to sell "jalamiya" (Arabia men's gown) in school to support his allowances. He was discreet about it and he made some profit too. It could work for students in tough times like this
That's lovely
Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by jericco1(m): 12:48pm On Mar 01, 2017
That's very prudent of you
Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Thomsyne(m): 12:49pm On Mar 01, 2017
so true
Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by olu690(m): 12:49pm On Mar 01, 2017
ItalianWine:

1- Manage your resources

And have fun. Carefully

true talk
some guys spend money like their father is PMB
Lol
Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Nobody: 12:50pm On Mar 01, 2017
@ItalianWine.. ......
I taste better. Don't I?
Nice write up though.

1 Like

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Mustiboy(m): 12:55pm On Mar 01, 2017
MistaDamex:

lol. na so we dey roll for campus oo
abi
Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by 0079jaBond(m): 12:55pm On Mar 01, 2017
Nice one.

Op, you said you're a student of OAU. Please, is there hope for those waiting for the 2nd admission list for 2016/2017 session?

Biko, help me @ItalianWine
Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Ximenez(m): 12:56pm On Mar 01, 2017
No matter what, good food is the most important thing for a student. It gives you the energy and concentration to study.

5 Likes

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by youngwarlocks: 1:00pm On Mar 01, 2017
if you are a guy, leave ladies alone

3 Likes

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by promkeyz(m): 1:00pm On Mar 01, 2017
@Italianwine....all what you said are true and well taken.

1 Like

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Nobody: 1:07pm On Mar 01, 2017
Well, I'm not only frugal by nature but also comfortable with it. infact, some sees me as being parsimonious. I'm that student that has all the monies other students wish for but also that student that seldomly spends. its just my predilections for effective savings.#OAU#italianwine

2 Likes

Re: How To Survive In A Nigerian Campus In This Recession by Vickiweezy(m): 1:07pm On Mar 01, 2017
angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of Top Universities That Accept 150 Jamb Cut-off Mark, Even You Never Choos / Strike: FG Meets ASUU Today, SSANU Friday / List Of Nigerian Universities That Accept Second Choice Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.