Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language (22232 Views)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / Reasons Nigerian Men Are Scared Of 'calabar Women' - Brainnewsng / 3 Reasons Nigerian Men Are Scared Of Calabar Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by dammy13(m): 7:05am On Mar 02, 2017
In the past children spoke Nigeria’s indigenous languages namely Yoruba, Igbo, and Hausa fluently and unashamedly. However, today, the complete opposite is the case. Kids can barely communication in Efik or Idoma without adding a bit of English. The consequences of this are that many of these languages are facing extinction while some of them have gone extinct.

A research that is cited by those concerned to lend credence to the import of indigenous languages is that of former Minister of education, Prof. Babs Fafunwa. The late Prof made a case for the native language as the medium of education for the first 12 years of the child’s life.

Through an organized native language education program, they discovered children taught in the Yoruba language performed better. Regardless, it has not changed the fortunes of these languages because kids have refused to communicate. In line with this, Kikiotolu.com shares reasons children are not speaking their native language.

1. Parents don’t speak the languages to them
Parents don’t speak their mother tongue to their children anymore. In fact, some of these parents when they go for attending events one of the best hotels in Lagos , they order their children not to speak the language. How can such a child learn the language? Parents should speak more to their kids in their mother tongue.

2. It is tagged vernacular
In some schools today, Yoruba, Hausa, and Igbo among other languages are banned because they are considered vernacular. A child who speaks his or her mother tongue would be penalized. So from the formative years of these children, they already have the perception that speaking their mother tongue is bad.

3. They are uncivilized
Many people believe that you are uncivilized or local if you speak your mother tongue. So, in other to join the bandwagon and be accepted, they dish Ibibio for English. This is all in the name of being civilized. Children have also been caught in this web

4. It is not compulsory in primary and secondary schools
While English is compulsory in secondary schools today, the indigenous languages are not even though a child must study one of these languages. Children will think the languages are a joke. Hence, they won’t bother to learn or speak it.

5. Technology
The engagement or interaction of children with technology is entirely in English. Their smartphone, video games, laptop and other tech gadgets are in English. So since many of them spend so much time with these gadgets, they don’t have anything to do with the languages. This is a challenge to Nigerian developers to design tech gadgets in the indigenous languages.

http://www.kikiotolu.com/2017/03/5-reasons-nigerian-children-are-not.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 seun Dominique

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Dosmay(m): 7:06am On Mar 02, 2017
tongue 21st century na
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by seunlly(m): 7:09am On Mar 02, 2017
Civilisation don scatter everything jare

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by CoolFreeday(m): 7:13am On Mar 02, 2017
misplaced priority, its unfortunate. I luv our indigenous languages, wish I can learn more..

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Benjom(m): 7:17am On Mar 02, 2017
Can't really blame the decision to embrace English language above others. It's a universal language... and so should be given that primary position. Even you, OP will prefer your child to say "Come here" rather than "Bia-neba" or "Zo mana koi".

In search of the best CV Writers in Nigeria? Our CV Samples speak convincingly. View them at:

www..com

No employer/recruiter will ever treat your CV with disdain again!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Donald7610: 8:13am On Mar 02, 2017
It depends on your mom
She has control over that than anybody
mother tongue: the language which a person has grown up speaking from early childhood.
She has more power to influence the children to the father

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by dabwan123(m): 8:13am On Mar 02, 2017
Ok
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by ndiko: 8:15am On Mar 02, 2017
Way forward?

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by martineverest(m): 8:15am On Mar 02, 2017
number one is the major reason.....most parent now condescend on their native dialets.......this is as a result of low self esteem.

Indians,chinese,latinos,south africans,arabs etc will always teach their kids their native dialets,wherever they are.

Its appalling.....even my nephews and nieces abroad could speak and understand my dialet than my nephews and nieces here in nigeria.

Every modern nigerian mothers,especially,think our languages are uncivilised.

Kudos to hausa and fulanis

21 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by seunny4lif(m): 8:15am On Mar 02, 2017
Blame it on the parents and the government
Germans develop tech with German language and same with China but us in Africa just like wanna be?
Watch our English Nollywood and you will understand what I mean..
At least Yoruba still trying they got lot of Movies in Yoruba and Africa Magic Yoruba which is one of the most watched channel cool

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Fernandowski(m): 8:15am On Mar 02, 2017
why Dem go gree speak when papa Don threaten to punish them if they try it??

even some secondary school dey collect fine if you speak your native language in the school premises
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by shams040(m): 8:16am On Mar 02, 2017
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by mohciz69(m): 8:17am On Mar 02, 2017
O

K

T
H
E
N

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Kaxmytex(m): 8:17am On Mar 02, 2017
U dont have to blame buhari on diz, i think am d one at fault.

back in dose dayz when i was a class captain in my pry school, i r'mba mr suraju would give me an order to write d names of vernacular speakers....
power was in my hand, my classmate go begin dey beg me buh at d end, dem go do d needful by dropping 5box, bribing...u may call it, buh i dont blame dem, who get mind to face mr suraju double headed cane bonded with rubber band??...
it's a matter of, u pay me or u see pepper...
after few weeks, story changed, regular customers no dey roja me again, class go dey silent as if recession grip my classmate vocal cord, traces of staggered english began to emanate...

after some month, my mate kum begin dey tear english lyk bro soyinka...
na so diz guyz spoil market 4 me o...
had it been, i ain't collecting bribe and mr suraju's order was ignored, native language would have been dominant.
sorry, y'all can put d blame on me..

11 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Nobody: 8:17am On Mar 02, 2017
Despite repeated warnings from people around me that I am not suited to the task. I have been thinking a lot lately about life and death.
So I thought if truly 90% of human population will end up in hell. Maybe ending up in hell wouldn't be so bad.
Especially if most of our former military heads of state Babaginda, Ojukwu, Obasanjo, Buhari, Abacha, Ironsi and Co will be there.
With those fellas around, we might just plan a coup, overthrow the devil and take over hell.
My only worry is that they will loot it dry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by drey69(m): 8:17am On Mar 02, 2017
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by bikerboy1(m): 8:18am On Mar 02, 2017
Even after speaking all the English language at school. That doesn't stop you from learning how to speak your mother tongue.

But if you 're allowed to use you native language in school, I'm very sure your English language speaking and writing ability wouldn't be as good as it is now.

Whatever they did then, was for your own good.

8 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Category1: 8:18am On Mar 02, 2017
all these useless ajebo parents be spoiling their pikin with English....naija don spoil

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by AirstarKane(f): 8:18am On Mar 02, 2017
The hausa/Fulani tribe is one is still respect for upholding their language. You seldom find any hause child without the knowledge of their language. Thumbs up to you guys. I dey find who go teach me sef. My love for them dey grow everyday since nysc posted me to one of their states smiley

10 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by victor247: 8:18am On Mar 02, 2017
Would have appreciated this post if it was written in Ibo, Hausa or Yoruba.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by ifyalways(f): 8:18am On Mar 02, 2017
I blame the parents 100%. No excuses.

Speak your native lingo at home with the kids, they surely would learn English/French/Espayol in school but we have parents with low esteem forming posh and all.

They will laugh sheepishly and say " my daughter only speaks English o", meanwhile na ajegunle pidgin the pikin dey nack.

Shioor cheesy

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by ALAYORMII: 8:18am On Mar 02, 2017
Everyone want their children to speak English

Gaskiya

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by yeyeboi(m): 8:18am On Mar 02, 2017
Ok
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by bentlywills(m): 8:19am On Mar 02, 2017
Indigenous language is dead and buried in 9jaria

Not only our kids but we adults too... most of here can't read or write our local languages

So sad!

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Thomsyne(m): 8:19am On Mar 02, 2017
noted
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Nobody: 8:19am On Mar 02, 2017
Im Yoruba.

Yorubas are the most guilty of this. It makes me mad to see Yoruba parents speak English and English only to their kids. Iwa were pata pata ni. I wonder what they plan achieving with that.....like if they speak Yoruba to them...the kids wont be able to speak English.

Hausas...they are the bomb. I give them credit on this. Hardly can you find a Hausa kid who cant speak Hausa regardless of where they are brought up...be it Russia or Brazil

6 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by bettercreature(m): 8:19am On Mar 02, 2017
grin grin grin grin grin grin You are doom if you actually allow your children to speak native language between the age of 2-8
Their tongue will never be the same again! reason you normally see CNN translating Buharis english

7 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by LordIsaac(m): 8:20am On Mar 02, 2017
In MY opinion, I think it's in order. I feel it's hypocrisy to do white wedding, eat white food, act civilised, use the white language to write exams from early kindergarten years till forever, keep our president with whites when ill, applaud Nigerians in diaspora, share testimonies in church on getting visa to climes inhabited by whites and then try to make light of the "White's language." We don't really have an identity....let's be content and grateful that we have a lingua franca that at the least, unites us!

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by nowpresence(f): 8:20am On Mar 02, 2017
Fernandowski:
why Dem go gree speak when papa Don threaten to punish them if they try it??

even some secondary school dey collect fine if you speak your native language in the school premises
Which papa be that?
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by pxjosh(m): 8:20am On Mar 02, 2017
In MY opinion, I think it's in order. I feel it's hypocrisy to do white wedding, eat white food, act civilised, use the white language to write exams from early kindergarten years till forever, keep our president with whites when ill, applaud Nigerians in diaspora, share testimonies in church on getting visa to climes inhabited by whites and then try to make light of the "White's language." We don't really have an identity....let's be content and grateful that we have a lingua franca that at the least, unites us!

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by DESTINY41(m): 8:21am On Mar 02, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Masquerade Seen Dancing Zanku And Gbe Body(video) / Your Favourite Yoruba Proverbs! / Teach Me Yoruba Language(come In If U Are Interested In Learning Too)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.