Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,874 members, 7,806,501 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:25 PM

5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language (22228 Views)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / Reasons Nigerian Men Are Scared Of 'calabar Women' - Brainnewsng / 3 Reasons Nigerian Men Are Scared Of Calabar Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 02, 2017
BUTCHCASSIDY:

Bum .....bae mad @u?
No one needs me to be mad @ u
its fixed angry u told her how I dumped u tongue

Babs modify her moniker in ya post undecided
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Ngokafor(f): 10:32am On Mar 02, 2017
victor247:
Would have appreciated this post if it was written in Ibo, Hausa or Yoruba.

cheesy grin
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by kjhova(m): 10:35am On Mar 02, 2017
Ugosample:

That your third point is not correct tho.
Singapore educational system is in English and not Chinese .

Le Kwan Yew made it that way.

Developing is about being a serious people, not really the language per se.

You are correct about the switch from Mandarin and Malay to English in Singapore. However, this was only fully implemented in 1987/88 well after Singapore's path to success had been assured. This is why I retained Singapore in that list even though I agree that this makes my statement that "not a single word of English" a hyperbole.
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by orlahtohbadt(m): 10:36am On Mar 02, 2017
ideykwum:

Add "mixed marriages" to the list. I am my wife are from different ethnicities. Our son speaks neither of our languages
Thats cos u didnt try to speak the two languages to him while growing up... The baby's brain can easily assimilate things in such a way that he can even learn a hundred languages at a time... I was born into a house like yours and I can speak 3 languages,Yoruba, Igbo and English... So its really no excuse

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by DirewolfofStark(m): 10:42am On Mar 02, 2017
martineverest:
u are just too childish for this comment...grow up

Not "too childish", but "too rooted in reality"
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Nobody: 10:47am On Mar 02, 2017
MissPuffPuff:
its fixed angry u told her how I dumped u tongue

Babs modify her moniker in ya post undecided
You dumped me shocked shocked shocked .... excuse me?
We were dating

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Nobody: 10:50am On Mar 02, 2017
BUTCHCASSIDY:

You dumped me shocked shocked shocked .... excuse me?
We were dating
u begged me but I refused grin

No seriously we ended our friendship (if u could call it that ) And u snitched angry
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 02, 2017
MissPuffPuff:
u begged me but I refused grin

No seriously we ended our friendship (if u could call it that ) And u snitched angry
Begged you?

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by devvland(m): 10:52am On Mar 02, 2017
bikerboy1:
Even after speaking all the English language at school. That doesn't stop you from learning how to speak your mother tongue.

But if you 're allowed to use you native language in school, I'm very sure your English language speaking and writing ability wouldn't be as good as it is now.

Whatever they did then, was for your own good.

Word. So on point. Step out in any community in Imo, Abia, ANAMBRA (mark the emphasis) EBONYI, Enugu...and all you'll hear is IGBO. I keep wondering where the idea of extinction is coming from when a school child from these states cant manage a sentence in English.

And please check the posts on social media. If English is as they claim, how come you have to wear body amour to read what they write.

It's different for children born in multi-cultural cities, though. And mind you, pidgin is the culprit there, not English. Kids pick it up in the streets, but since parents wouldnt want that to damage their children's knowledge of English, they insist on good old British.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Nobody: 11:02am On Mar 02, 2017
BUTCHCASSIDY:

Begged you?

that's not the point.. Tattle tale angry

Anyways how u na? hope say u do am well well?
I think I've exhausted the pidgin that's applicable in this conversation so I'm going back to English

Its late and I wanna run around a few more threads before I sleep. bye wink an stop bein' a snitch
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by obowunmi(m): 11:06am On Mar 02, 2017
I love Yoruba.
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by naijafunds: 11:14am On Mar 02, 2017
Join our platform about to be launched in less than three hours, Donate N10,000 and Get N30,000 swiftly. The faster you join the faster you get matched. Visit NaijaFunds.com. Good Morning Nairalanders...
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by bullabong(m): 11:15am On Mar 02, 2017
Benjom:
Can't really blame the decision to embrace English language above others. It's a universal language... and so should be given that primary position. Even you, OP will prefer your child to say "Come here" rather than "Bia-neba" or "Zo mana koi".

In search of the best CV Writers in Nigeria? Our CV Samples speak convincingly. View them at:

www..com

No employer/recruiter will ever treat your CV with disdain again!

you should be ashamed of ur self.
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Donald7610: 11:35am On Mar 02, 2017
Ugosample:

I don't think so tho...

I think it depends on the family as a whole, because if only the mum is the one speaking to you, and your dad does not, his own side of the family does not, and the child does not see the need to communicate with his siblings in that language, it is a list battle.
Agree with you
but mother tongue: the language which a person has grown up speaking from early childhood.
She has more power to influence the children to the father
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by haulforte123: 11:53am On Mar 02, 2017
Air Cargo Vs Sea Cargo (Which one is better?)

The right decision can save you lots of money.

Here is how.

You will benefit from air freight, the lighter your goods are.
Hence, we would recommend air freight provided your goods
are light.

However, sea freight would be profitable for you, if you are
moving larger and heavier goods, that would require containers.

Hence, the size or weight of your goods determines which is
better for you. Also, the rate of demand for your goods is a
factor you need to consider.

We hope this was helpful.

You can contact us at:

info@haulforte.com
www.haulforte.com
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Nobody: 12:20pm On Mar 02, 2017
gone are the days when i can recite our national anthem in Yoruba. well let me try...
Dide eyin araaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
waje pe naijeria.............
....em em em em.....car stumble, fuel finished.. car park LOBATAN grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Emassive(m): 12:26pm On Mar 02, 2017
So what punishment do you deserve now? Would you alsos provide awa yaamz
Kaxmytex:
U dont have to blame buhari on diz, i think am d one at fault.

back in dose dayz when i was a class captain in my pry school, i r'mba mr suraju would give me an order to write d names of vernacular speakers....
power was in my hand, my classmate go begin dey beg me buh at d end, dem go do d needful by dropping 5box, bribing...u may call it, buh i dont blame dem, who get mind to face mr suraju double headed cane bonded with rubber band??...
it's a matter of, u pay me or u see pepper...
after few weeks, story changed, regular customers no dey roja me again, class go dey silent as if recession grip my classmate vocal cord, traces of staggered english began to emanate...

after some month, my mate kum begin dey tear english lyk bro soyinka...
na so diz guyz spoil market 4 me o...
had it been, i ain't collecting bribe and mr suraju's order was ignored, native language would have been dominant.
sorry, y'all can put d blame on me..
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Stanbeto: 12:51pm On Mar 02, 2017
The thing tire me o
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by NarnieSnyper(m): 1:38pm On Mar 02, 2017
Audrinakane:

This is so true, I really hate it. I am Igbo and you see most Igbo's raising their children with English, it scares me that in the nearest years we will lose the beauty of our language.

That's why I don't Mingle with my cousins or uncles because they'll definitely start teasing me or when we go for occassions, they'd be like "who's this one forming for us with Asusu beke" and I'll feel so embarrassed. Seriously I feel sorry for the fact it[igbo] will soon be extinct.

By the way, u sef be "my mama say I be igbo"?
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Audrinakane(f): 1:53pm On Mar 02, 2017
NarnieSnyper:

That's why I don't Mingle with my cousins or uncles because they'll definitely start teasing me or when we go for occassions, they'd be like "who's this one forming for us with Asusu beke" and I'll feel so embarrassed. Seriously I feel sorry for the fact it[igbo] will soon be extinct.

By the way, u sef be "my mama say I be igbo"?
Am trying to understand your last statement but if you are trying to say I might be one of those that were raised with English( I stand to be corrected ) nope, I read,speak and write Igbo fluently.
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by maverick001: 1:59pm On Mar 02, 2017
pple weh dey talk dis tin re basing their research on multicultural cities lyk Lagos,abuja and some multicultural south-south states.......abeg come to osun,oyo,ekiti primary skuls.....u will be begging most of them speak Yoruba very well o.....even better than English......d tin surprise me gan
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Audrinakane(f): 2:05pm On Mar 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:

So how do they understand each other? Remember countries speaking single language are more bonded that those speaking various languages.
In my earlier post, I said that speaking your local language shouldn't not prevent you from speaking a single language everyone can understand. Having a single language is not an excuse for one to not know how to speak his/her indigenous language. In Switzerland you have 4 official languages but not all of them can communicate in the 4 yet they are still bonded very well and doing better than Nigeria that has a common language. You can find translators if you cannot communicate there.
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by NarnieSnyper(m): 2:21pm On Mar 02, 2017
Audrinakane:

Am trying to understand your last statement but if you are trying to say I might be one of those that were raised with English( I stand to be corrected ) nope, I read,speak and write Igbo fluently.

Exactly what I meant, sugar . TBH, I will surely Marry a woman who's fluent in igbo to ease up things.

Wait oo smiley cheesy u Just came to mind #gets down on one knee#
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Celsony: 2:37pm On Mar 02, 2017
alexistaiwo:
Despite repeated warnings from people around me that I am not suited to the task. I have been thinking a lot lately about life and death.
So I thought if truly 90% of human population will end up in hell. Maybe ending up in hell wouldn't be so bad.
Especially if most of our former military heads of state Babaginda, Ojukwu, Obasanjo, Buhari, Abacha, Ironsi and Co will be there.
With those fellas around, we might just plan a coup, overthrow the devil and take over hell.
My only worry is that they will loot it dry.

Goood luck to you in your journey to hell bro...
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Celsony: 2:48pm On Mar 02, 2017
[b][/b] Owoicho che (by God‘s grace), when i set up my home & family, i will set up a NO ENGLISH language law at home, when my kids are back from school the lingua franca will be my native language. What about you, what will you do to pass your native language to your children?
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Audrinakane(f): 3:19pm On Mar 02, 2017
NarnieSnyper:

Exactly what I meant, sugar . TBH, I will surely Marry a woman who's fluent in igbo to ease up things.

Wait oo smiley cheesy u Just came to mind #gets down on one knee#
shocked shocked am shocked. Let me do fasting and praying first grin
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by NarnieSnyper(m): 4:14pm On Mar 02, 2017
Audrinakane:

shocked shocked am shocked. Let me do fasting and praying first grin

Wait fess, U want me to remain on my knees till u pray and fast ? Haba, but I have already fasted for both of us na kiss cry cry
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by YOUNGKAHUNA: 4:16pm On Mar 02, 2017
This is why I like "Waheed". Bros no gree wan learn English
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Audrinakane(f): 4:54pm On Mar 02, 2017
NarnieSnyper:

Wait fess, U want me to remain on my knees till u pray and fast ? Haba, but I have already fasted for both of us na kiss cry cry
Sorry my bad. Get up dear, I have accepted grin. When are you coming to see my papa grin
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by ideykwum: 8:59pm On Mar 02, 2017
orlahtohbadt:
Thats cos u didnt try to speak the two languages to him while growing up... The baby's brain can easily assimilate things in such a way that he can even learn a hundred languages at a time... I was born into a house like yours and I can speak 3 languages,Yoruba, Igbo and English... So its really no excuse

I'm not saying its an excuse. I just said its one of the reasons...
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by NarnieSnyper(m): 10:46pm On Mar 02, 2017
Audrinakane:

Sorry my bad. Get up dear, I have accepted grin. When are you coming to see my papa grin

I don't want to derail but be sure to see me this weekend. I need see Pa Orji for palm wine and other things.

Nne, I'll make u the happiest woman on earth. Our kids would be made of chocolate and vanilla just like their mother. this I promise smiley kiss
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Audrinakane(f): 10:57pm On Mar 02, 2017
NarnieSnyper:

I don't want to derail but be sure to see me this weekend. I need see Pa Orji for palm wine and other things.

Nne, I'll make u the happiest woman on earth. Our kids would be made of chocolate and vanilla just like their mother. this I promise smiley kiss

Not just vanilla but they will also be dipping in honey. Am already blushing smiley grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Masquerade Seen Dancing Zanku And Gbe Body(video) / Your Favourite Yoruba Proverbs! / Teach Me Yoruba Language(come In If U Are Interested In Learning Too)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.