Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,278 members, 7,780,639 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:18 PM

Interesting! Identical Twins Married And Gave Birth To Baby Girs Same Day. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Interesting! Identical Twins Married And Gave Birth To Baby Girs Same Day. (3067 Views)

Worse Than Ebola Yet They Survived And Gave Birth To Us / Identical Twins : Can You Tell Them Apart? / 9-year-old Girl Gives Birth To A Daughter In Mexico (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Interesting! Identical Twins Married And Gave Birth To Baby Girs Same Day. by OAM4J: 11:14pm On Dec 13, 2009

[size=18pt]Coincidental lives of Oyeteju twins[/size]

The story of the Lagos-based Oyeteju twins seems to go beyond that of normal identical ones. Both females, a chain of events that recently happened in their lives say volumes about them, writes SAMUEL AWOYINFA

THOUGH Taiwo and Kehinde Oyeteju were born on the same day – March 26, 1982

– at the General Hospital Isolo,

Lagos, many unique happenstances surrounding their lives suggest that they are ‘strange twins.‘ Their parents and their neighbours, who began to take a closer look at the lives of these female twins since they were born until they became adults, are coming to the conclusion that there is more to them than ordinary eye can see.

You might conclude that there is no big deal that both attended the same schools, beginning from primary through tertiary. Again, you might conclude that there is no fuss about them graduating the same year, having successfully completed a course of study in Banking and Finance at the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye in 2007.

But the Oyeteju twins got wedded the same day to their spouses on June 26, 2009 at the Ikoyi Registry, Lagos. Though they look quite identical, the only point of departure for now seems to be that they are Mrs. Taiwo Falowo and Kehinde Alder respectively.

But just as you begin to dismiss these similarities in these twins, more curious and strange similarities, which provoke further thoughts, begin to surface.

The first is that they were delivered of their babies the same day at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba. The babies were both females. The only difference about their birth was the time of their arrival.

It was Kehinde who gave birth first and according to her, the baby was born at exactly 2.30am. For Taiwo, her own baby came at exactly 5.30am. Both babies came on Nov. 25, 2009.

Taiwo takes over the story. She says, ”Kehinde and I had gone for our usual ante-natal clinic on Nov. 24, 2009 and the doctor told us that we were due and we were to be placed on admission from that moment.

”It was not funny, but we could not refuse. What we did was to send messages to our people to help bring our luggage and baby things that we had bought. I was in Ward 8, while Kehinde was in Ward 3. The next day, we both gave birth.”

Taiwo said Kehinde came to her bedside to encourage her, as soon as she could gain enough strength after she was delivered of her own baby. ”In fact, Kehinde came to me and she started praying for me for my own baby to come. She was almost crying for me,” Taiwo added.

Some of the curious questions their neighbours and even other expectant mothers in their wards were asking were: Did they plan it? Does it mean they conceived at the same time?

Taiwo and Kehinde said separately that they did not plan their pregnancies and that it was beyond their own explanation and knowledge.

Hear Kehinde: ”I believe that it was only a divine arrangement.”

Taiwo‘s husband, Deji, also corroborated what Kehinde said. ”We never planned it but it just pleases God that it happened that way,” he stated.

One of the neighbours of the twins, Mr. Oyeladun Oke, who indeed brought the story to our notice, expressed his amazement and surprise at such coincidence. He noted that even if it happened that they met their husbands the same time, does it mean they conceived at the same time?

”Even if they conceived at the same time, you know the Expected Delivery Date is either plus 14 or minus 14. How come one of them did not deliver her own baby earlier? I believe this is more than meets the eye. I could see divine arrangement in this,” he said.

Furthermore, Taiwo and Kehinde have only mothers-in-law and their husbands never knew themselves intimately until they were courting their wives. Again, another curious or strange coincidence happened on Dec. 2, 2009 during the naming ceremonies. While Kehinde had her child named at the Trinity area in Apapa, Taiwo had hers at Bariga. But while the Falowos and Alders never consulted before arriving at some of the names given to their babies, two names stood out again for the children. The name is Elizabeth. Another coincidence, you would say?

Corroborating this, the pastor, who officiated at the naming ceremony of the Falowos, Revd. Noah Ayanlere of First Baptist Church, Ijesatedo, said that he was surprised when he heard that the Alders also named their baby Elizabeth.

He said, ”I was the one that officiated at the Falowos naming ceremony and the name Elizabeth was one of the names the family put forward. I later learnt that the Alders also have it as one of the names given their own baby. I learnt that the names were picked by elders from both sides, without any prior consultations. To me it is strange.”

Ayanlere, who is the pastor in charge of the church where the parents of the twins worship, added that there was divine hand in everything that had happened to these twins. ”Everything that has happened to these twins goes beyond the normal things normally associated with other twins. I believe everything has a divine tinge to it. It is not ordinary.”

The twins parents, Mr. Taiwo Oyeteju and Mrs Modupe Oyeteju, were no less amazed about the happenings in their children‘s lives. Being parents of four – all girls – they stated that Taiwo and Kehinde were quite different from the others.

Mrs. Oyeteju said that the twins loved each other and they did things in common. ”If you give them their food or drinks separately, they always ended up eating or drinking together. Taiwo and Kehinde would prefer to use the same spoon to eat if you give them rice and they will eat from the same plate. If you give them two bottles of Coca-Cola, they would drink it one bottle after the other, using the same straw.”

Do the parents not suspect something strange in these twins? While he agreed that there was something strange, Mr. Oyeteju noted that all he could see was a divine arrangement in the lives of their daughters.

Kehinde‘s mother-in-law, Mrs. Margaret Alder, said, ”It is not ordinary. I have seen some other twins, but these ones are special, given the strange events that happened these few days.”

A psychologist in the Department of Psychiatry, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, Dr. Rotimi Coker, offers a more scientific explanation on the matter. He explains that there are two types of twins –mono-zygotic and di-zygotic twins. The mono-zygotic twins, he states, are from the same egg and they are the ones referred to as identical twins. On the other hand, the di-zygotic twins are from two different eggs and they are non-identical. He notes that identical twins share the same chromosomes and genes.

Making specific reference to a set of female twins, Coker adds that it is possible if they ovulate at the same time and their husbands sleep with them same day, they are likely to conceive the same day.

Besides, Coker stresses that given the fact that they share certain chromosomes, the concordance rate of illness is very high among identical twins, even when they do not stay together.

Another psychologist in the Department of Psychology, University of Lagos, Prof. Kayode Oguntuashe, shares Coker’s point of view. He submits that since they are identical twins, they carry the same set of genes, they exhibit the same dispositions, in terms of feeling, thinking and acting. He however points out that ”there may be slight variations in their behaviour due to environment influence.”

A sociologist at the University of Lagos, Prof. Lai Olurode, hinges his own argument basically on telepathic characteristics among twins. Arguing from the perspective of African culture and beliefs, he says that twins are seen more to share telepathic characteristics. He however does not rule out the fact that the twins in question must have shared some genetic identities. ”In this case, you cannot rule out the fact that nature and nurture are at work. They must have shared the same genetic identities.”

Dr. Yomi Lawal of the Badagry General Hospital says that there is no medical connection, but ”there may be some other factors that are responsible.”

He contends that once the pregnancy is up to 38 weeks, birth may be induced if it is certified that the expectant mother is fit and can deliver the baby at that point. ”Though I am not saying that the births were induced,” he says.

But he argues that the spiritual has no basis medically. He adds, ”In Africa, there is this myth about twins. People believe they are special and peculiar in certain ways. Some even say when one takes ill, the other may also take ill.”

An official of the Public Relations Department, LUTH, Mrs. Hope Nwawolo, said the hospital management held in confidence information about their patients.

”We do not give out information about our patients,” she said.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200912132483631

(1) (Reply)

Latest International Scholarship Updates / How I Was Scammed By Necksford Nigeria Limited / What Is Really Happening In Nigeria Lately( Evil Dad)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.