Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,883 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit (13880 Views)

Lagos Warns Against Drilling Boreholes Without Licence, Permit / DRILL Your BOREHOLES In 2hrs (ABUJA) FCT, Our Site VIDEOS, Pictures... / Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by sammirano: 3:43pm On Mar 02, 2017
A new Lagos State Environmental law is stipulating a prison term or fine for residents who drill boreholes without government authorisation, PREMIUM TIMES has learnt.

The legislation specifically criminalises sale or distribution of water by container, tanker, or any other method without a valid license issued by the Department of Water Resources.

The bill, passed by the state House of Assembly, is yet to be signed into law by Governor Akinwumi Ambode.

The government says it targets commercial users, but activists fear the ban may affect private citizens, who struggle daily to get water through individual effort.

“The salt rubbed on the injury is the fact that as we speak, the public has not set eyes on the new bill to ascertain if our fears and objections raised at the Public Hearing were incorporated into what was eventually passed,” said Akinbode Oluwafemi, Deputy Director, Environmental Rights Action/Friends of the Earth Nigeria, during a press conference in Lagos on Monday.

The problem with the Bill

On February 20, the Lagos House of Assembly passed “A Bill for a Law to Consolidate all Laws Relating to the Environment for the Management, Protection and Sustainable Development of the Environment in Lagos State and for Connected Purposes” into law.

The Bill was passed less than two weeks after activists and environmentalists challenged its key sections at a public hearing.
A section (7.2.a) in the draft Bill secured the “payment of contracted services and concessions for long term infrastructure investments with an irrevocable Service Payment Order as the first line charge on the State’s Internally Generated Revenue.

In section 7.2.b., it states that, “In the event that the state’s IGR is insufficient or unavailable to discharge its obligations, the state should apply monies due to it from the federal monthly allocation or any other source to secure its payment obligation to contractors and concessionaires under the law.”

Mr. Oluwafemi described both sections as anti-people and would tie the hands of Lagos citizens to ambiguous agreements.

“These clauses will make government, through taxpayers money, to pay corporate entities without fail even when there are other pressing issues requiring funding.

“Literally, it is saying if passed, the Lagos State government must pay these corporate entities before spending on salaries, healthcare, roads and so on.

“We also feel Lagosians should have a say on how the state’s federal allocation will be used. These provisions elevate government spending towards private concessions over all other government spending.”

The most controversial aspect of the draft Bill, however, is its provisions towards access to drinking water in the state.

Section 137(1)(a) stipulates that, “No person or group of persons shall sink or cause to be sunk boreholes, hydraulic and other structures connected with the supply of surface ground water or treated water without obtaining the necessary permit from the Office of Drainage Services.”

Section 141(1)(a) says no person or group of persons shall “Abstract water from any lake, river, stream or other natural resources forming part of state water except with the approval of department of water resources of the Office of Drainage Services.

In 141(1)(c), it states that no person or group of persons shall “Make, sell, distribute or cause to be made, sold, or distributed water by container, tanker or any other method whatsoever without a valid licence being issued by the Department of Water Resources of the Office of Drainage Services.”

An individual convicted under the law will pay a N100,000 fine or serve a six month jail term or both; for an organisation, it is N500,000 and confiscation of its equipment.

Mr. Oluwafemi said the law does not mention how it will affect owners of existing boreholes in the state.

“We feel provisions in these sections should be clarified properly,” he said.

“Threatening imprisonment for distributing water to meet the needs of the disenfranchised unless this applies only to large corporations like the breweries and bottling companies.
“Or else, it would mean for instance, that a person who gathers water from a stream or tap in his apartment and gives it to family or neighbour in need with go to jail for six months.”

The law has been roundly condemned.

Agnes Sessi, the president of African Women Water, Hygiene and Sanitation Network, said the “draconian” law would cause untold hardship to the people.

“One of our rights as citizens is to live, to have good water to drink, good environment,” said Mrs. Sessi.

“If government has failed to provide water for us, they do not have the right to take away our efforts to provide for ourselves. Do they want us to die?”

Betty Abah, Executive Director of CEE-HOPE, said the very vulnerable in Lagos are currently under threat due to government policies.

“A government is supposed to provide for the people, protect their interests, but we have a government that seems to want to fight the people.”

Achike Chude, vice president of Joint Action Front, said Lagos is a pilot state and other states would soon begin criminalising sinking of boreholes.

“The issues are very clear and each time we are confronted with situations like these, we can’t help but ask why government subjects Nigerians to all kinds of misery and difficulties.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/224917-lagos-criminalises-drilling-boreholes-without-permit.html

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by Nobody: 3:44pm On Mar 02, 2017
Even on one's own land?

13 Likes

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by Odingo1: 3:45pm On Mar 02, 2017
[/b]That is not a good one[b],there maybe outbreak of water borne diseases in Lagos if care is not taken

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by sammirano: 3:47pm On Mar 02, 2017
there is an effective water management in Lagos state, which explains the law.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by Jabioro: 3:50pm On Mar 02, 2017
I am a little bit confused, what you can't provide as government, I did for myself and for the people around me.. you're now as me to take permission from you to drill borehole within my living compound.. ikojaye re

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by doyinbaby(f): 3:56pm On Mar 02, 2017
The law is dead on arrival...
I need permit to fetch water from a river please spare me these nonsense

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by blackylola(m): 3:59pm On Mar 02, 2017
God bless Mrs Sessi. To fetch water from a stream and watch cloth is now a problem to Lagos state. U guys need spiritual help

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by veekid(m): 7:00am On Mar 03, 2017
Na their money ah dey use dig abi Na on top their land? These pple just dey make life difficult for the poor. DiarisGod o

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by Areaboy2(m): 7:02am On Mar 03, 2017
These people are mad.
Punishing people for trying to provide the same amenity the govt should be providing. I guess that approval will cost some more money abi? Ontop the borehole cost.. tufiakwa

Now I can say for sure this country is really a practical joke..

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by martineverest(m): 7:03am On Mar 03, 2017
we don kuku dig our own finish...foolish govt

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by DaudaAbu(m): 7:04am On Mar 03, 2017
Nawa ohh
Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by SurePresident: 7:04am On Mar 03, 2017
Some should be arrested and jailed to serve as deterrent to others. Indiscriminate borehole drilling could lead to natural disaster.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by FILEBE(m): 7:05am On Mar 03, 2017
huh? is it your hole I am drilling?

If I choose to make a hole and fetch water from it inside my house or Farm.... it shouldn't be anybody's goddamn business. Even if Lagos state provides water supply all round the clock it still shouldn't worry them that I am using a bore hole. Very soon, we will be charged for using wind turbine, Solar panels and inverters for power supply thr government doesn't give.

even if them give sef... I still go like use wetin I like!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by GeoOla25(m): 7:05am On Mar 03, 2017
based on logistics... kole werk

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by MuyiRano(m): 7:06am On Mar 03, 2017
So i can not provide water for myself and people around me again until i take permission... Well, in Lagos anything can happen..
#Breaking News:

Buhari Hands Over Power to Osinbajo.
It has been confirmed by CNN this morning that the
President of the federal republic of Nigeria
Muhammadu Buhari has handed over power to his
Vice, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo at the early hours of this
morning at London where the President is currently resting.
This decision came after a close door meeting held by
the cabals and chieftains of the APC.
According to the media adviser to Buhari, Mr. Femi
Adesina, President Buhari handed over his
50,000mAh power bank to Osinbajo to enable him charge his phone whose battery is down as a result of
lack of electricity in Nigeria!
Thanks for reading.
*runs out of thread b4 they come for my head*

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by Pavore9: 7:07am On Mar 03, 2017
There would be no need for drilling boreholes if Lagos state water corporation is fully functional.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by seguno2: 7:09am On Mar 03, 2017
Who will criminalise Ambode, Fashola and Tinubu for their non provision of tap water to Lagos state residents since 1999 despite billions and billions of annual budget, IGR and loans?
Who will criminalise the rogues?

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by Rafob(m): 7:09am On Mar 03, 2017
All these people in government were not God fearing people how are they asking for something you can not give there is God oooo

1 Like

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by osemoses1234(m): 7:09am On Mar 03, 2017
Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by demolaxl(m): 7:09am On Mar 03, 2017
With all the excessive water we have in Lagos island,
We shd be begging other states to come and take some.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by anibi9674: 7:10am On Mar 03, 2017
funny policies all around.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by ZTEN(m): 7:12am On Mar 03, 2017
Make I kukuma put pumping machine for my well be that.. RABBISHHH

1 Like

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by yehmi01(m): 7:12am On Mar 03, 2017
Mr ambode needs a copy of ( Things fall apart.) That will let him know the direction he his headed with this law. What u failed to provide you are now making it harder for people to provide it for themselves.

In that case we all need to also get generator permit and licence before we can buy and use one in the houses, since that also causes noise pollution. Cos what is good for the goose is also good for the g....

As I said my go-mi-nor. Get a copy of Things fall apart. undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by seguno2: 7:12am On Mar 03, 2017
SurePresident:
Some should be arrested and jailed to serve as deterrent to others. Indiscriminate borehole drilling could lead to natural disaster.

Who should arrest and jail Ambode, Fashola and Tinubu for indiscriminate treasury looting that has led to non availability of ordinary tap water which is a natural health disaster?
Who should arrest and jail them?

12 Likes

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by sojayy(m): 7:15am On Mar 03, 2017
This Lagos self ! It will get a stage that if u want to defecate u must pay govt dues..... Water u na no go provide, to make provision for ourselves now na trouble again......na wa oo

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by refreshrate: 7:16am On Mar 03, 2017
...and the process to feed tinubus war chest for presidential ambition begins

Eediots the crase to collect money from people will not let them see road.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by Acidosis(m): 7:17am On Mar 03, 2017
Borehole license

Resident license

Dstv license grin grin

Thank God for Ogun state cheesy

1 Like

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by dhardline(m): 7:17am On Mar 03, 2017
Very soon it will be a crime to have your own generator without permit or even employing a gate man with permit. The taxation government I hail.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by sojayy(m): 7:17am On Mar 03, 2017
SurePresident:

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by olanshi: 7:19am On Mar 03, 2017

Someone told me about this few days ago and I replied him that it's not possible!

How many days in a Month does Lagos Water Corporation supply water to its residence, and how clean is the water if supplied?

So individual bore hole waters are far cleaner and drinkable than this so-called Lagos Water Corporation.

If this Law is signed, than ya'all are enemy of the State and it will be against humanity.

You better revisit this Law!

We already collected CofO/Deed of Occupancy for our piece of land from the government which one is now bore hole drilling permit.

Very soon, you will also say house foundation permit, decking permit! This is absolute extortion!!

#saynotoboreholedrillingpermit

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by yehmi01(m): 7:20am On Mar 03, 2017
SurePresident:

This guy funny ohh.
Sorry but do you live in Lagos or Nigeria at all.
If you don't please don't get your fingers burnt with this statements.

Water is the last basic amenity any sensible country or goverment should be able to provide after at least 50 years of independence so let's not even go through that route. shocked
And also Mr sure president this kind of statement can never make you president at this rate.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Criminalises Drilling Boreholes Without Permit by eRex(m): 7:27am On Mar 03, 2017
Provide water... No.. We provide our water... E dey affect u.
Soon fishermen and farmers will start paying to farm because they are making use of natural resources.
Don't use private securities, depend on govt policing.

Kuku tell us to pay for walking on tarred road...(were is your walking permit)

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

AFFORDABLE BUILDING PLAN AND DOCUMENTATION OF YOUR HOME ,CALL 08069253261 / Tenant(lawyer) From Hell / Houses For Sale In Abuja: In N.u.t Head Quarters: At A Cheapest Cost.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.