Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action (5391 Views)

Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges / Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits / The 25 Consolidated Banks In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by whatalife: 6:12am On Dec 14, 2009
ATM fraud victims sue CBN, 24 banks in class action
By Eric Ikhilae Published Today News Unrated

Some victims of Automated Teller Machine (ATM) fraud, have sued the Central Bank of Nigeria, (CBN), the 24 commercial banks and Interswitch Nigeria limited at the Federal High Court, Lagos.

The suit now pending before Justice Ibrahim Auta was filed by Miss Daba West, a civil servant with the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Miss Nwajiagah Omeruo, a consultant, Mr Tochukwu Onyuike, a lawyer and Mr Sydney Aguwamba, a fashion designer.

Union Bank of Nigeria Plc, United Bank of Africa Plc, Bank PHB and Intercontinental Bank Plc were named as defendants and representative of the 24 banks.

The plaintiffs, who claimed to have lost huge sums of money in unauthorised withdrawals from their accounts, said they are representing other Nigerians who have suffered similar fate on several occasions.

The plaintiffs contended that the banks had been negligent in their duties as commercial banks and service provider in safeguarding the plaintiff’s funds through installation of security software in total protection of the plaintiff’s fund and this is the duty ought to be observed at all time.

The plaintiffs argued that the defendants owed them a duty of care as regard the protection of their fund by providing security mechanisms towards the safe use of the debit cards.

The plaintiffs accused the defendants of failing to take all reasonable and effective measures by installing software and other devices to protect their funds from "unusual, unauthorised and fraudulent withdrawals."

They stated that the defendants failed to enhance their ATM systems to detect and retain clone cards when used as it is the standard practice in other parts of world, and that they also failed to realise the hazardous nature of offering debit card by not taking all reasonable steps to ensure that the ATM do not release funds more than N60, 000.00 daily.

The plaintiffs also accused the defendants of failing to provide debit cards with chip and pin technology which operates against unauthorised withdrawal, as it is done in other countries.

They contended that the defendants’ alleged negligence has caused Nigerians to suffer financial losses, physical trauma, emotional distress, loss of reputation and severe personal unrest.

They urged the court to among others, declare that the defendants are liable to Nigerians for the losses and damages caused by their alleged negligence in relation to the provision of debit card services.

They asked the court to declare that the four banks are representative defendants of the class of defendants being those designing, manufacturing, supplying and offering of debit card services.

The plaintiffs further prayed for a declaration that CBN failed in its regulatory duty to promote monetary stability and sound financial system in relation to the electronic money withdrawals. They are claiming against the defendants N50.2 billion as damages.

The CBN, in its statement of defence argued that none of the plaintiffs’ evidence showed any wrongdoing against it.

The bank added that the closest the plaintiffs came to linking it with their claim was that it allegedly failed in its regulatory duty to promote monetary stability and sound finance system in relation to electronic money withdrawals.

It argued that the plaintiffs could not under the country’s law, sue it unless they show evidence of bad faith as a pre-condition for their action.

The CBN urged the court to strike the suit out for want of jurisdiction or strike out its name from the list of defendants.

When the case came up last week, Justice Auta directed the other defendants who were yet to respond, but have filed notices of appearance, to file their defence before the next date. He also directed the plaintiffs to comply with the requirement to file a list of their proposed witnesses and adjourned to February 10 next year.

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/28826/1/ATM-fraud-victims-sue-CBN-24-banks-in-class-action/Page1.html
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by Olong(m): 11:13am On Dec 14, 2009
A chasing after the wind,that's what this is!
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by Mbeki: 11:16am On Dec 14, 2009
At least Nigerians are learning to complain against bad customer services instead of keeping mum.
The  way some of these banks carry out there transactions makes them feel as if they're doing one a favour.
If all Nigerians should be suing them to court, every now and then, I think they'll be more careful.
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by Mbeki: 11:21am On Dec 14, 2009
Olong:

A chasing after the wind,that's what this is!
I don't agree with you, at least, the banks will now learn to be more careful with people's fund after the court session. Even though those guys claims were not granted, they've proved a point by dragging the banks to court.
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by CarlosVent(m): 11:27am On Dec 14, 2009
this is a good development.

even though it will take yrs to get d needed justice they must get it.
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by tunde121oke: 11:29am On Dec 14, 2009
you just need a nokia phone with a usb cable and then your laptop ,call 07092386797 for more details
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 14, 2009
What does the consumer protection council do?.Although,I admire the complainant's zeal to get justice but how long will it take to get the justice.Goodluck
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by abhosts(m): 11:45am On Dec 14, 2009
To be sincere, these banks are liable to some extent. They just continue to dole out ATM cards with reckless abandon to customers who are mostly ignorant of the insidious nature of the internet. The ideal thing would have been to hand out terms of agreement to the customers highlighting all the risks associated with the technology and the modus operandi of ATM fraudsters thereafter stating that the bank will not be held liable if the customer chooses to be reckless with his or her PIN.
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by Nobody: 11:46am On Dec 14, 2009
this is a welcome step in the right direction

Nigerians, more of this
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by ud4u: 11:49am On Dec 14, 2009
This very case is really begging attention. Let them try and find alternative solution. Is only somebody who has not fallen victim that will take it lightly.
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by PurestBoy(m): 12:21pm On Dec 14, 2009
I'll kill someone in the bank if anything happen to my money through ATM cloning by the bankers
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by izby(m): 12:30pm On Dec 14, 2009
i was defraud of 80,000 naira using UBA ATM at mission road close to new benin market, the guy incharge told me to write a complain letter to their headquarter, i did but no positive respond. that was how i lost that money which am suppose to use for my tuition fee.

I just pray they should table the situation.
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by mrperfect(m): 12:39pm On Dec 14, 2009
I think the move will caution the Banks.
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by biggozz(m): 12:55pm On Dec 14, 2009
If you go through my posts, you guys will find where I led a big campaign on this same matter months ago, when I lost a whooping N85,000 to ATM card cloning! (as in, i was getting debit alerts, watching helplessly as doles of 20k were leaving my account yet with my ATM in my wallet!!)

I went beyond here to threatening Diamond Bank through my lawyer of sueing them or publishing what they did to me on the newspaper, when I realised that these guys are not new in crushing people's attempt towards getting justice.

Please does anyone have any information on how to reach the team that sued them, honestly I want to appear in court come Feb to testify o!!
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by Pharoh: 1:29pm On Dec 14, 2009
The temporary solution to this malaise is for everyone to stop using ATM cards pending when a lasting solution or agreement is reached by all parties involved.
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by Princeofilorin(m): 1:39pm On Dec 14, 2009
I've also lost about N20k to ATM fraud.I was in Kaduna and my money was being withdrawn from Benin. cry
Since then, I swore never to use ATM again angry
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by kbriggs: 2:15pm On Dec 14, 2009
That's the kind of thing i admire. Very soon i wll drag them to court myself. When 50persons in this country sues them in different courts, let me know why they won't buckle up. Upon the poverty rate in this country,we are still loosing money under their custody.How can they convince us they are not the ones behind these acts. I am angry. serious!
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by DOAweb(m): 2:23pm On Dec 14, 2009
Mbeki:

At least Nigerians are learning to complain against bad customer services instead of keeping mum.
The  way some of these banks carry out there transactions makes them feel as if they're doing one a favour.
If all Nigerians should be suing them to court, every now and then, I think they'll be more careful.

Totally agree!! angry angry angry
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by yhurmie: 2:26pm On Dec 14, 2009
this may be an ambitious move, but it is a very welcome development. I admire and applaud the 'fighting spirit' of these people that chose to step up to the authorities in the face of obvious ridicule.

In the mean time, as some1 mentioned, the most feasible action would be to boycott the use of ATM cards until the CBN and banks take a firm stand for customers. Yes, inconvenient though it may be.

BTW, I stopped using the service since 2006, when my account was cleared even though I was stupid enough to have released my PIN to the thieves then!  undecided
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by spikedcylinder: 2:46pm On Dec 14, 2009
biggozz:

If you go through my posts, you guys will find where I led a big campaign on this same matter months ago, when I lost a whooping N85,000 to ATM card cloning! (as in, i was getting debit alerts, watching helplessly as doles of 20k were leaving my account yet with my ATM in my wallet!!)

I went beyond here to threatening Diamond Bank through my lawyer of sueing them or publishing what they did to me on the newspaper, when I realised that these guys are not new in crushing people's attempt towards getting justice. 

Oh my goodness!
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by udennaa: 3:03pm On Dec 14, 2009
not in nigeria,bet me nothing positive will come out of it.
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by sammytb(m): 3:06pm On Dec 14, 2009
Atleast, it will make d bank sit up, !
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by sammytb(m): 3:07pm On Dec 14, 2009
Atleast, it will make d bank sit up, !
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by Mutee: 4:04pm On Dec 14, 2009
i so happy that at least Nigerians have awaken from their slumber grin grin grin
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by afrikaam(m): 4:18pm On Dec 14, 2009
Good luck with that. I hope them all the best, but the banks have never been advocates good customer service.

But any action which encourages them to at least take security seriously can only be a good thing.
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by NnamdiN: 4:26pm On Dec 14, 2009
person fit slap im papa 4 9ja?
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by skalamanga: 4:33pm On Dec 14, 2009
~Bluetooth:

What does the consumer protection council do?.Although,I admire the complainant's zeal to get justice but how long will it take to get the justice.Goodluck

no matter how long it takes for one to get justice it is still better to get it in the end (which justifies the means) than to keep waiting for the authorities that would never take it up, i think this would propel public agitation for these banks to beef up their e-security systems. by investing more in this area. you never know how important this is until you fall victim,
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by ochukoccna: 4:34pm On Dec 14, 2009
good move that has been long overdue in a 9ja that is heading to a full blown banana republic.
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by Nobody: 5:03pm On Dec 14, 2009
I think intercontinental should be on the list because they are still holding on to my money.

I think when this case is over, i will sue IBPLC for "What the fuckkery"
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by justfash50: 5:26pm On Dec 14, 2009
The temporary solution to this malaise is for everyone to stop using ATM cards pending when a lasting solution or agreement is reached by all parties involved

Even this advise is coming late, cos so many people has discontinue using the card.

I stopped mine 3 weeks ago and i know someone who just lost close to N150,000:00 last week.

Its not even a calculated risk, i wonder why people are still using it when ATM fraud is on the increase. i dont mind queueing all day to get my hard earn money cos really the Banks, CBN and Interswitch seems not to have any clue right no[b][/b]
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by Mbeki: 6:01pm On Dec 14, 2009
At times i suspect that the ATM fraud are being perpetrated through the connivance of the bankers, cos if that's not the case, why do banks always go on the defensive on events of loss of money by customers instead of assisting in routing out the alleged criminals?

Am just suspecting oh! cool cool cool
Re: ATM Fraud Victims Sue CBN, 24 Banks In Class Action by Ad4(m): 6:10pm On Dec 14, 2009
ATM has come to stay. The banks just have to live up to their responsibility to protect the users. They can not run away from it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FREE Alibaba Importation Mentoring Programme For 10 / Learn Data Bundle Reselling With Less Than #800 Start Up / Problem With Gtbank Token Devices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.