Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,598 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria (31114 Views)

10 Businesses You Can Start With N100,000 / Categories Of People That Will Be The Worst Hit By Recession In 2017 / The Category Of Nigerians That Will Not Experience Recession In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by maclatunji: 12:08pm On Mar 03, 2017
Nigeria has been in economic decline for a few years now falling into recession in 2016. This has led to many Nigerians tethering on the brink of desperation as they cannot match rising prices of basic necessities.

However, amidst all of this perceived gloom and doom are great opportunities for the enterprising and creative. We present to you 10 of such business opportunities in random order:

1. Agriculture

The federal government has been encouraging people to adopt agriculture as a means of ensuring food security and reducing Nigeria’s food importation bill. Several state governments like Kebbi, Lagos, Anambra and Nasarawa are also keying into this vision. If you are smart and learn quickly, you can make lots of money from the different types of agriculture that are out there ranging from planting food or commercial crops, poultry, ranching, fish, snail farming and lots more.

2. Food Business

Closely related to agriculture is food business. This has always wanted been a profitable business for those who do it well because as we say in Nigeria ‘man must wack’ (people must eat) whether or not the economy is doing well. However, with soaring kerosene and cooking gas prices, many individuals and families prefer to eat from local food vendors. You can go bigger and start a restaurant that prepares great meals at great prices. If you can add office and home delivery to the mix, you could make ridiculous amounts of money especially if you leverage on social media.

3. Transportation

People must move from their homes to places of work within and outside cities. There so many ways to enter this business from Uber to commercial buses to tricycles. The most important factor for success is either you drive your vehicle yourself if it is only one you have or find trustworthy people to drive your vehicles if you have more than one. Hire purchase agreement with your drivers is an option you might want to consider as it gives them an incentive to reach the agreed sales price in record time. This is good for you as you can use the profit to expand your business.

4. Blogging

This is one of the cheapest businesses to start that can transform your life in months. All you need is Internet access on a computer or smartphone and the ability to create interesting content that readers and search engines love. Find ways to commercialize the blog by joining advertising networks like Adsense, Infolinks and others or do affiliate marketing on your blog.

5.Freelancing

This is best done online through websites like Fiverr, Upwork, Freelancer and others. You offer your skills to people around the world and those that ask you to do jobs pay you an agreed sum once you have done the job satisfactorily. Writers, graphic artists, animators and other professionals find this as a very good source of income. You can also directly advertise your services on different classified ads websites for people to contact you when they need your services. Always present a professional image of yourself and deliver on your promises. Trust and good reputation are essential elements of success in this business.

6. Fashion

This covers tailoring, embroidery, bead-making, shoes and bag making as well as related services. Whether there is economic boom, recession or depression, Nigerians like to look good. If you cannot produce any of these items, you can definitely market them. Instagram is a great place to do this, other social media are also good for promotion as well as internet marketing.

7. Web Design and Social Media Consultancy

I already mentioned blogging as a business to do in this period of recession and a good number of would-be bloggers would be needing web designers to build their blogs for them. The same applies to businesses seeking to go online by building their own websites. Many businesses and individuals need people to help them manage their social media accounts and promote their brands. If you are good at doing this, go ahead and aggressively promote your services to this category of potential customers. You have little to lose and lots to gain.

8.Teaching

Nigerians across the country are increasingly increasingly valuing education and in most major cities there is a huge demand for tutors that will teach students either in school or after school. The tutorial centre business beckons for smart people that can teach effectively and help parents and students navigate the bumpy road of transitioning from Secondary school to university and other tertiary institutions. The same is true of primary and secondary school students looking to get promotion to higher classes.

9. Professional Services

If you are a Lawyer, Accountant, Medical Doctor, Pharmacist, Management Professional and so on, you should consider providing some sort of consultancy, people are looking to answer questions that they cannot answer for themselves for personal or business purposes, if you are seen as a competent problem-solver, you have the opportunity to make decent income from these traditional professions addressing important needs in the society.

10. Entertainment

With the energence and prevalence of social media, becoming a star entertainer has never been easier. From YouTube to Facebook to Instagram and numerous other platforms, it is easy to create entertaining content and commercialize it. Nollywood and Nigerian Musicians are raking-in incredible amounts of money in this recession, you too can with your creativity.

There are definitely other profitable businesses that I have not mentioned and it is important to know that there are many people that have failed doing these businesses I have listed. However, what is important is to learn the fundamentals of whatever business you choose to do, take smart decisions and be focused and dedicated. You have a good chance of success and might be smiling to the bank even in this recession.

Think and work smart.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/top-10-businesses-can-survive-recession-nigeria/

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by nmreports: 5:56pm On Mar 06, 2017
I was in UniLag yesterday and I saw students at night setting up shop to sell noodles, bread and fried egg, salad etc.

All these business are so simple, clear and doable.
1, 2, 4, 5, 7 are what a lot of people and family men do to survive.

Number 1 and 2 is so in demand now and since there is internet boom in Africa, you can utilize the opportunity.

Here are also a list of simple businesses you can do generally for anyone:
http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/06/list-of-simple-businesses-you-can-do-if.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by Opistorincos(m): 5:56pm On Mar 06, 2017
Food business is the best

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by itiswellandwell: 5:56pm On Mar 06, 2017
Nice one OP.

This might be a good business opportunity for students as well. Are you a student? Check the below link for something that might be of interest to you.

https://www.nairaland.com/3657298/low-start-up-capital-business
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by Destinylink(m): 5:57pm On Mar 06, 2017
Isorite
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by Drsheddy(m): 5:57pm On Mar 06, 2017
K
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by emmykk(m): 5:57pm On Mar 06, 2017
Nigerians pls help me recover my money from MMM....i dont mind having only 40% of the recovered money.
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by idongesit88: 5:58pm On Mar 06, 2017
okay, give me capital
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by lonelydora: 5:58pm On Mar 06, 2017
Op, both 'Hire purchase' and 'daily return' have advantage and disadvantage.

I can never give out any of my vehicle or tricycle on hire purchase
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by alabi484(m): 5:59pm On Mar 06, 2017
Op, you no add politics and opening church... E dey sell well well

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by tigonana: 5:59pm On Mar 06, 2017
I dey come first make I eat finish!!!!
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:59pm On Mar 06, 2017
FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by Bigajeff(m): 6:00pm On Mar 06, 2017
nice
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by emmaliver(m): 6:03pm On Mar 06, 2017
I will be back to read
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by datopaper(m): 6:04pm On Mar 06, 2017
Where is Marketing
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by Diplomaticbeing(m): 6:05pm On Mar 06, 2017
The same recycled surface/ashawo businesses that requires little intellect. The real (goldmine) businesses are out of the knowledge arsenal of someone like the OP.

One who follows the crowd can never make a discovery.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by TopsyKrete: 6:12pm On Mar 06, 2017
Starting a business with zero capital

That's helpful

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by babakb: 6:12pm On Mar 06, 2017
Fvck discovery nigga, Money is the ish
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by tociano009(m): 6:14pm On Mar 06, 2017
grin
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by maclatunji: 6:15pm On Mar 06, 2017
emmykk:
Nigerians pls help me recover my money from MMM....i dont mind having only 40% of the recovered money.

Sorry....
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by maclatunji: 6:18pm On Mar 06, 2017
Diplomaticbeing:
The same recycled surface/ashawo businesses that requires little intellect. The real (goldmine) businesses are out of the knowledge arsenal of someone like the OP.

Write your own article now.

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by ichommy(m): 6:29pm On Mar 06, 2017
maclatunji, Lovely Post.
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by HAH: 6:37pm On Mar 06, 2017
This are businesses to be done not only in recession but at every other time, though I have issues with things li blogging and consultancy
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by phantom24: 6:40pm On Mar 06, 2017
Nairaland n useless topics.... grin grin
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:45pm On Mar 06, 2017
phantom24:
Nairaland n useless topics.... grin grin
....so this is a useless topic

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by henrixx(m): 6:50pm On Mar 06, 2017
Same recycled topic.

Recession no dey kill

God will restore nigeria
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by menxer: 6:56pm On Mar 06, 2017
nobody mentions forex trading again as online money avenue, why?
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by demo4ril97(m): 6:59pm On Mar 06, 2017
Kidnapping is another lucrative one! Just hijack some baba alaye for area grin
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by demo4ril97(m): 7:00pm On Mar 06, 2017
emmykk:

hope you not an imposter?

Cc: emmyk
Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by macaranta(m): 7:03pm On Mar 06, 2017
Nice List Op. . You Can Also Join The E-Learning Drive By Teaching And Earning Online. Visit www.macaranta.com to get Started

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Businesses You Can Do To Survive Recession In Nigeria by Otegah87: 7:24pm On Mar 06, 2017
Diplomaticbeing:
The same recycled surface/ashawo businesses that requires little intellect. The real (goldmine) businesses are out of the knowledge arsenal of someone lik
e the OP.

Mr discoverer, write ur own, let's see.....ekpa

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria / Credit Deduction Theft From Account- Photo / Saving With KOLO: I Just Began This Journey (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.