Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread - Car Talk (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread (53095 Views)

How To Properly Use The “baby On Board” Sign / Autel OBD Scanner: Check that check engine! Buy a scanner. / Hybrid Vehicle Electrical And Electronic Problems - Question And Answers Thread! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by manualsco(m): 12:36pm On Jan 31, 2018
Toyota Owner Manual
Toyota Workshop Manual

https://manuals.co/workshop/toyota/
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by Haysamo: 4:37pm On Apr 28, 2018
Hello all,
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 5:39pm On Apr 28, 2018
Haysamo:
Hello all, OBD scanner is not working with my 2002 rav4, I av tried up to 5 different scanners;it's always a link error. Any advice please?

If you are in Abuja, I would do this for you.

To communicate with the ECU, the OBD scanner uses wires, some of those wires are either not sending or receiving signals, and if they are, there is a break in transmission due to either an open ( a cut) in the wires or a short ( two or more wires touching that shouldn't).

Any auto electrician worth his salt should be able to fix this in 30 minutes or less
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by Haysamo: 7:21am On Apr 29, 2018
[quote author=AutoElectNG post=67108329]

If
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 7:49am On Apr 29, 2018
Haysamo:

Thank Sir, but I'm in Lagos and not in Abuja

Call me or WhatsApp me, let me give you a referral
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 10:31am On May 25, 2018
I stand to be corrected but if you an auto enthusiast or avid DIY

One of the best OBD II softwares for mobile devices is Carista.

Watch a review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvC4tKD37G4 I have no time to do my own review.

The beauty of Carista is the integration of some dealer level diagnostics for a price next to nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xIon5pXMic

The advanced features are paid for BUT THE COMPANY IS CURRENTLY TESTING SOME ADVANCED FEATURES IN BETA, SO YOU CAN TEST DRIVE THOSE WITHOUT PAYING AT THE MOMENT.

Details below:

currently looking for beta testers with the following vehicles:

BMW E-chassis models from 2008 - new customizations
Nissan, Infiniti, Renault, Dacia 2008+ – advanced diagnostics and customizations
Audi A4 B9, Q5 2017+ – customizations
VW Up!, Skoda Citigo, Seat Mii - customizations
BMW F-chassis models – customizations

Drop us an email at support@caristaapp.com to be added to the beta testing program and specify the following:

The exact brand, model and year of your vehicle
Your mobile platform: Android or iOS
(Android onlysmiley the Google account you use in Google Play Store
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by santiagoz(m): 2:55pm On May 25, 2018
Where in Abuja can I find u, my car is showing the sign on ur first page. I just got d car, I stayed at Lugbe ...
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 3:16pm On May 25, 2018
santiagoz:
Where in Abuja can I find u, my car is showing the sign on ur first page. I just got d car, I stayed at Lugbe ...

Can can you describe the symptoms you are encountering beyond just the sign on the dashboard

Vehicle Brand/Model/Year and Trim would be helpful

e.g., BMW 7Series 2016 760li

So I could run a check on the issue ahead of your visit
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 12:53am On Jun 14, 2018
What can a factory scan tool do?

What can an aftermarket scan tool do?

These are questions I have been asked by readers time without number

This video will help to answer those questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPffaSintIw
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 7:54am On Jun 14, 2018
Q. Should you scan your vehicle only of the check engine light comes on?

OEMs (Toyota, Honda, VW/Audi, BMW, Fiat/Chrysler, Nissan) to mention but a few say NO.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by thebigkendo(m): 4:44pm On Jun 14, 2018
AutoElectNG:
What can a factory scan tool do?

What can an aftermarket scan tool do?

These are questions I have been asked by readers time without number

This video will help to answer those questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPffaSintIw

Just finished watching the whole video, very educative i must say. Thanks for sharing
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 4:56pm On Jun 14, 2018
thebigkendo:

Just finished watching the whole video, very educative i must say. Thanks for sharing

I appreciate the compliments...I owe who I am to many who did not hesitate to share with me...merely giving back in my own little way
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by sonety2k(m): 5:57am On Aug 12, 2018
cool
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 8:36am On Aug 13, 2018
sonety2k:
cool

What's on your mind?
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by radautoworks: 8:57am On Aug 13, 2018
Bravo on the whole thread
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 5:06pm On Sep 07, 2018
There is more to vehicle diagnosis than the use of a scan tool

This is why raduautoworks often says bring it into the shop!

A scan tool is not the final definitive answer to the problems of a vehicle...it should be considered the starting point in diagnostics and no more!

In the words of Barry Bartlett who has 40 years of experience working on cars and who is an ASE Master technician with L1 advanced level diagnostics, the highest level of certification available:

the PCM can sometimes give false information to the scan tool, and therefore is not a foolproof way of diagnosing a vehicle. It cannot be solely relied upon for diagnosis. The scan tool will only point us in a direction to explore and we must investigate thoroughly to find the problem.

It is the ability to thoroughly investigate and find the problem that separates the men from the boys in this game.

This truism will be demonstrated with two examples

1 Like

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 5:15pm On Sep 07, 2018
Don't be fooled by the tool - Part 1

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 5:19pm On Sep 07, 2018

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by Blizzle(m): 5:33pm On Sep 20, 2018
Hello AutoElectNG

I have a Toyota Highlander 2004 that has the check engine light and VSC light on. When scanned it had an error code P0016.

The vehicle fuel consumption is very high and when you want to accelerate it stalls sometimes. These are the only two symptoms it has. The engine sounds good and it drives fine apart from when you need to quickly accelerate and it stalls a bit before it picks up.

I got a mechanic to check the timing belt and he claims it's okay and not missing a tooth, also said it aligns. I really don't know what else to do.

Can you help?

AutoElectNG:
Don't be afooled by the tool - Part 2

Source: https://certifiedtransmission./2017/06/15/dont-be-fooled-by-the-tool/

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 5:59pm On Sep 20, 2018
Blizzle:
Hello AutoElectNG

I have a Toyota Highlander 2004 that has the check engine light and VSC light on. When scanned it had an error code P0016.

The vehicle fuel consumption is very high and when you want to accelerate it stalls sometimes. These are the only two symptoms it has. The engine sounds good and it drives fine apart from when you need to quickly accelerate and it stalls a bit before it picks up.

I got a mechanic to check the timing belt and he claims it's okay and not missing a tooth, also said it aligns. I really don't know what else to do.

Can you help?

4 cylinder? 2AZ FE?

6 cylinder? 3MZ FE?

Which engine
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by Blizzle(m): 9:16pm On Sep 24, 2018
3MZ FE

[aquote author=AutoElectNG post=71373565]

4 cylinder? 2AZ FE?

6 cylinder? 3MZ FE?

Which engine[/quote]
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by Blizzle(m): 2:06pm On Oct 02, 2018
3MZ-FE Hi can you help?

AutoElectNG:

4 cylinder? 2AZ FE?

6 cylinder? 3MZ FE?

Which engine
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 2:38pm On Oct 02, 2018
Blizzle:
3MZ-FE Hi can you help?

Let's talk
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 6:52am On Oct 03, 2018
Blizzle:
Hello AutoElectNG

Can you help?

https://player.vimeo.com/video/290694402

What engine oil do you use?

What oil filter do you use?

What is your Oil Change Interval (OCI)?

Was it always this way?

If no when did it change?

Possible Failures:

Mechanical includes
1. Engine timing jumped or moved
2. Stretched chain or belt
3. Worn tensioner
4. worn guides

Electrical
1. Crank Sensor
2. Cam Sensor
3. Variable cam/valve timing system
4. Wiring/resistance
5. ECM

Hydraulic
1. Variable cam/valve timing system
2. Oil low/dirty/burnt -wrong pressure wrong volume
3. Oil Filter
4. VVT actuators/phasers aka Oil Control Valve

You need a thorough physical inspection.

I'm game if you want.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 12:15pm On Oct 26, 2018
Carista beta Nissan infiniti

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by Michael547(m): 9:09am On Jan 07, 2019
Contact me for your car scanning or servicing at 08167469103....I live in ibadan and do home service and scan all cars....phone calls or whatsapp.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by meebhoomi: 5:33am On Jun 21, 2020
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by dcole73: 11:09pm On Aug 26, 2020
Great thread, AutoElectNG.

Please do you give training on SRS module reprogramming and ECU programming?

Or do you know a place that does these?

Thanks
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 5:45am On Aug 27, 2020
dcole73:
Great thread, AutoE.lectNG.

Please do you give training on SRS module reprogramming and ECU programming?

Or do you know a place that does these?

Thanks
Thanks for reaching out.

Q1. Currently NO.
Q2. NO.

1 Like

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by sureboykris(m): 7:41am On Nov 08, 2020
Good morning op... I just stumbled on this thread. Very intelligent discussions. Quite technical for me.
I've a question please.. I saw a small obd2 scanner on AliExpress and decided to order it.
Please how useful is it for a novice like me. Have I wasted my money?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Which SUV is Best For A Budget Of 1.4 Million? / Range Rover Sports Vs Mercedes G Wagon, Which Would You Choose? / Made-In-Nigeria Car Spotted In Ogba, Lagos Today (Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.