Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters (14896 Views)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie At Paris Fashion Week (Photos) / Chimamanda Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Science (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by Specialspesh: 8:35pm On Mar 03, 2017
Award winning Nigerian Author, Chimamanda Ngozi- Adichie has been elected into the American Academy of Arts and Letters as a foreign honorary member.

According to a press release by the Academy on http://artsandletters.org/pressrelease/2017-newly-elected-members/ the honorary members will be inducted at the annual induction in May.

This induction will make Chimamanda the second Nigerian to be inducted into the academy after Wole Soyinka, a Nobel laureate, was inducted in 1986.

The Academy explained that Chimamanda will be honoured alongside 14 others.

“When the American Academy of Arts and Letters holds its annual induction and award ceremony in mid-May, Calvin Trillin, secretary, will induct fourteen members into the 250-person organisation and Yehudi Wyner, President will induct three foreign honorary members.”

The objective of the Academy include to “foster and sustain an interest in Literature, Music, and the Fine Arts” by administering over 70 awards and prizes, exhibiting art and manuscripts, funding performances of new works of musical theatre, and purchasing artwork for donation to museums across the country.

Some of her previous awards include, Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction 2007 (Half of a yellow Sun); The MacArthur Fellowship 2008 for Fiction and The PEN Open Book Award, 2007 (Half of a Yellow Sun).

NAN

Source: http://www.cambellsblog.com/2017/03/chimamanda-adichie-elected-into-us.html

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by Specialspesh: 8:37pm On Mar 03, 2017
Lalasticlala, Obinnau

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by eezeribe(m): 8:38pm On Mar 03, 2017
Feminist... And yet,she still needed a man (husband) to impregnate her so she can bear children.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by Nobody: 8:39pm On Mar 03, 2017
Clap for the Queen cheesy

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by veekid(m): 8:39pm On Mar 03, 2017

interesting
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by PrinceAbinibi: 8:40pm On Mar 03, 2017
+ image
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by Shortyy(f): 8:40pm On Mar 03, 2017
My Role model. I love you, Manda.

9 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by Tpave(m): 8:40pm On Mar 03, 2017
Thanks so much for doing us proud. A very intelligent young woman.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 03, 2017
Igbos' are doing very well

64 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by ch91: 8:40pm On Mar 03, 2017
beautifully beautiful.....congrats to her
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by NNVanguard(m): 8:40pm On Mar 03, 2017
Great Nigerian making Nigeria proud.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by Tazdroid(m): 8:40pm On Mar 03, 2017
Respect is given to whom it is due

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by Hemanwel(m): 8:41pm On Mar 03, 2017
Nice one there from Ngorr!

BTW:

How come all those people who never admitted that President Buhari was performing poorly suddenly realized that Nigeria was fairing better under Professor Osinbajo? It means their support for Buhari all the while had been based on sentiments; and they still wanted him to remain in power at the expense of the lives of Nigerians.
I really shake my head for some so-called educated people that make up this geographical entity called "Nigeria"

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 03, 2017
Congratulations. Keep making us proud.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 03, 2017
Keneking:
Igbos' are doing very well

Nigerians are doing well.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by corlin2(m): 8:41pm On Mar 03, 2017
Mehn. This is good.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by lilmax(m): 8:41pm On Mar 03, 2017
fake woman
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by Nobody: 8:42pm On Mar 03, 2017
Igbo kwenu. Kwesie enu o, Ndigbo.
Omo wa ni, e je o se.
Adichie, making Nigeria proud since 1998

30 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by Pennyways: 8:43pm On Mar 03, 2017
Good for her
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by DollarAngel(m): 8:43pm On Mar 03, 2017
Our very own, I MUST MARRY IGBO LADY, THEY ARE BEAUTY AND BRAIN, HARD-WORKING AND FAITHFUL

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by AlphaDibia(m): 8:43pm On Mar 03, 2017
She too dey pander to public opinion. For example; she yan say we should all be feminist. The yeye talk tire me but nonetheless, love her. Now which Honorary membership she get for naija? Whosai
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by blinking001(m): 8:43pm On Mar 03, 2017
We thank God for her

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by manchester1: 8:43pm On Mar 03, 2017
Nigerians making us proud since 1960

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by pepemendy(m): 8:44pm On Mar 03, 2017
Beauty and brain no fake ting, some people won't understand that

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by saibop(m): 8:45pm On Mar 03, 2017
congratulations
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by Nobody: 8:45pm On Mar 03, 2017
Smart woman...So sad she is a feminist
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by chimey007(m): 8:46pm On Mar 03, 2017
She deserves it and more... I jxt love her simplicity.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by AngelicBeing: 8:46pm On Mar 03, 2017
cool
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by chinex276(m): 8:46pm On Mar 03, 2017
my mentor

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by ghettowriter(m): 8:47pm On Mar 03, 2017
Am proud of you Chimamanda, one of my role model
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by pepemendy(m): 8:47pm On Mar 03, 2017
vote kermen ko vote karmelion ni
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters by Afam4eva(m): 8:47pm On Mar 03, 2017
Shortyy:
My Role model. I love you, Manda.
She won't be happy with this bastardization of her name. She called out one presenter in the US who shortened her name to Amanda. She says her name is Chimamanda and nothing else. if you can't call it the way she wants then she'd rather you don't call her something else.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? / Godspower Oshodin Features On 'Gulf Today' Dubai Magazine (Photos) / "Captain Jack": A Val Story Written By John Mfon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.