Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,908 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:14 AM

Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? (10347 Views)

Tunde Bakare Worried That APC Govt Is Finding It Difficult To Bring "Change" / Who Is The Most Corrupt President In Nigeria So Far? / What Is So Difficult In Road Building? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 3:56pm On Dec 14, 2009
[b]I keep wondering why it is so difficult for the Nigerian government to ensure development.
Development is actually very easy, especially in countries with an enormouse financial ability like Nigeria.
It is a matter of ensuring an effective utilisation of our Basic factor endowments , to stimulate the creation of some advanced factor endowments.
It just as simple as stabilising the Nigerian Macro environment, to make the Micro-environment efficient.
Imagine electricity supply. A basic infrastructure that is meant to be non-negotiable, in terms of provision. Tens of billions of dollars has been poured into it's rehabilitation, yet it remains dyfunctional. How come other countries have constant electric power supply, even when they are not as rich as Nigeria.
What about Security? Why can't our police be enviable? What is so difficult in providing adequate police equipments and adequate training. Why can't they be paid well?
The most painful one is the construction of roads. Why can't the government bring out money and construct very good and regulated roads. Since Nigerians don't mind paying toll fees, why can't they embark on a govt-private sectore initiative to solve the problem?
I don't understand what is making our government officials so anti-developmental. Even the ones that claim to be good get carried away when they get into power. It is a big problem that needs to be solved.
After all said and done, I am increasingly growing worried about the dishearteneing trend. [/b] [i][/i]
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Dec 14, 2009
why do you feel development is easy?

Its not.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 4:39pm On Dec 14, 2009
@Tpia: Development is easy, when you have the money to ensure it. UAE (Dubai) is a case study.
There are developmental models everywhere. It is just a matter of taking up one model and following it till the end. If our government is serious, it will not take Nigeria up to 15years to stand.
It is very simple.
For example,
Develop the East with an American agricultural and Chinese trade models. Petroleum can take a second place there. Ensure that oil palm becomes a huge source of income from there.
Develop the South with a UAE oil economy model. They should benefit from the oil there, and should develop fastest.
The west should have the English (Great britain)/ Singapore developmental model. With a huge academic intellectual base, this looks suitable. (Fashola is trying do this now)
The North should have the Malaysian developmental model. An Agricultural trade based economic development like in the days of the groundnut pyramid.

It took Singapore 30 years to move from a third world country to a first world country, without any single natural endowmwent (They lack enough water).
How long will it take a country that has so much money that a theft of 12 billion dollars by IBB didn't cause any damage?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 5:06pm On Dec 14, 2009
It's very challenging to develop Nigeria because people like yourself and myself are not doing anything, but complain and use corrupt leaders as an excuse.

It takes the entire village to raise a bright kid; I think it also takes everyone of us to see a well developed Nigeria.

Many of us are too busy and too focus on only making money in Nigeria; none of us is willing to volunteer to contribute anything toward developing this country.

May be this is the right moment for each and everyone of us to pause and ask ourselves this question:
I'm now 25 yrs old or 30 yrs old or 40 yrs old or 50 yrs old, through out my life as a Nigerian, what have I ever done for this country?
If you can not come up with at least 2 things, you're part of the problem.

You need not to steal money from Nigeria to be corrupt.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Dec 14, 2009
@Justcash, Nigeria is difficult to develop because those who want it developed are doing nothing but folding their hands and coming up with reasons why what we have now is not bad at all. grin
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by platinumnk(f): 5:21pm On Dec 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@Justcash, Nigeria is difficult to develop because those who want it developed are doing nothing but folding their hands and coming up with reasons why what we have now is not bad at all.  grin

touche'
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Atoms70: 5:41pm On Dec 14, 2009
Depilot:

It's very challenging to develop Nigeria because people like yourself and myself are not doing anything, but complain and use corrupt leaders as an excuse.

It takes the entire village to raise a bright kid; I think it also takes everyone of us to see a well developed Nigeria.

Many of us are too busy and too focus on only making money in Nigeria; none of us is willing to volunteer to contribute anything toward developing this country.

May be this is the right moment for each and everyone of us to pause and ask ourselves this question:
I'm now 25 yrs old or 30 yrs old or 40 yrs old or 50 yrs old, through out my life as a Nigerian, what have I ever done for this country?

You need not to steal money from Nigeria to be corrupt.
Exactly my point.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 5:44pm On Dec 14, 2009
@ Depilot: You are wrong. How do you contribute when you are deliberately ignored? Do you know that It is a Nigerian that is building the Iraqi Mono-rail system? He begged to do it for Nigeria but he was blatantly ignored! He wanted to do it because he felt patriotic. What is happening to the brothers that built the armoured cars in Nigeria? They are no where to be found. sometimes to contribute, one need to be heard. If it is about sweeping the streets and planting flowers, those cannot stimulate development. I am an international entrepreneur. Do you know how many Jobs I would have created if I had gotten a little entrepreneurial surpport from the government? How can I open a factory, and run it without basic infrastructures, thereby making my products more expensive than imported products? It will be a big loss! But if the government had given some policy and financial (Loan) surpport to protect domestic companies, I would have been encouraged to do that. Rather, they prefer to give everything to all the Dangotes and Otedolas of this world. A mini factory employs more than 100 workers. If such factories are more than 300 in each state, how many employed Nigerians will you have? It is as simple as A, B, C.
I am not blaming currupt leaders, I am praying for God to serve them his appriopriate Judgment (Jeremiah 23: 1-2)

@Kobojunkie: I think you made alot of sense. They are just satisfied with the way Nigeria is.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 5:57pm On Dec 14, 2009
Justcash:

@ Depilot: You are wrong. How do you contribute when you are deliberately ignored? Do you know that It is a Nigerian that is building the Iraqi Mono-rail system? He begged to do it for Nigeria but he was blatantly ignored! He wanted to do it because he felt patriotic. What is happening to the brothers that built the armoured cars in Nigeria? They are no where to be found. sometimes to contribute, one need to be heard. If it is about sweeping the streets and planting flowers, those cannot stimulate development. I am an international entrepreneur. Do you know how many Jobs I would have created if I had gotten a little entrepreneurial surpport from the government? How can I open a factory, and run it without basic infrastructures, thereby making my products more expensive than imported products? It will be a big loss! But if the government had given some policy and financial (Loan) surpport to protect domestic companies, I would have been encouraged to do that. Rather, they prefer to give everything to all the Dangotes and Otedolas of this world. A mini factory employs more than 100 workers. If such factories are more than 300 in each state, how many employed Nigerians will you have? It is as simple as A, B, C.
I am not blaming currupt leaders, I am praying for God to serve them his appriopriate Judgment (Jeremiah 23: 1-2)

@Kobojunkie: I think you made alot of sense. They are just satisfied with the way Nigeria is.

1. building the Iraqi Mono-rail system: making money
2. brothers that built the armoured cars in Nigeria: making money
3. Do you know how many Jobs I would have created if I had gotten a little entrepreneurial surpport from the government: making money
4. How can I open a factory, and run it without basic infrastructures: making money
5. if the government had given some policy and financial (Loan) surpport to protect domestic companies, I would have been encouraged to do that: making money
6. A mini factory employs more than 100 workers. If such factories are more than 300 in each state: making money

@Justcash: All you have listed just made my point for me: We are too busy and too focus on just making money with very little or nothing to contribute or sacrifice for this country.
Bros, before stating that I'm wrong, please get to understand the true definition of volunteer work
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Dec 14, 2009
@Justcash

I don't know whether you are actually trained in economics or finance. But some knowledge of that would make you understand that development is a very complex issue.

It is not a matter of the FGN waving the magic wand of pumping more money into the system. You think any country with Nigeria' s demographics can develop by the FGN using its limited funds to prop up ailling local businesses?
Then what about Education, Healthcare,  Defence and Security ?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Basildon1(m): 6:05pm On Dec 14, 2009
Depilot:

I get tired of myopic and all-knowing lines like this, yes the citizens have a part to play but let's stop all this rubbish talk about how we dont do anything useful for our country. THERE IS A REASON WHY GOVERNANCE IS DELEGATED TO A FEW.

Elected representatives (hard to keep a straight face when i say that) are meant to develop a PATH for the people for the country's upliftment and create an enabling environment where development can flourish.

Go and ask the average brit for even one thing he has done for his country and he will look at you with contempt for even trying to judge him, BUT DOES THAT MEAN HE SHOULD NOT HAVE ACCESS TO BASIC AMENITIES.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by blacksta(m): 6:19pm On Dec 14, 2009
Basildon1:

I get tired of myopic and all-knowing lines like this, yes the citizens have a part to play but let's stop all this rubbish talk about how we dont do anything useful for our country. THERE IS A REASON WHY GOVERNANCE IS DELEGATED TO A FEW.

Elected representatives (hard to keep a straight face when i say that) are meant to develop a PATH for the people for the country's upliftment and create an enabling environment where development can flourish.

Go and ask the average briton( even one thing he has done for his country and he will look at you like some contempt for even trying to judge him, BUT DOES THAT MEAN HE SHOULD NOT HAVE ACCESS TO BASIC AMENITIES.

Thanks

Dont mind this yeye people who dont know the dynamics of development but keep jumping on the bandwagon of what have you done for your country like one can solely fund electricity plant building or an oil rig installation. The question should be what foundations has the country laid down for development. It is a well known fact that any government should create an atmosphere that encourages business but somehow some people claim one can circumnavigate this process

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 6:22pm On Dec 14, 2009
It takes a single step to accomplish a giant goal.
When we start giving back to this country without expecting nothing back, this country will start moving towards the right path.
All I'm saying is: It will benefit our country enormously if we (citizens) understand the importance of volunteer work in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Dec 14, 2009
Eradication of illiteracy would facilitate national development. This is not something that can happen overnight.

At the end of the day development is a collective responsibility and not just the responsibility of  government officials.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 6:24pm On Dec 14, 2009
@tensor777:
Thank you very much.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 6:31pm On Dec 14, 2009
@Depilot: Volunteer jobs don't aid development like the power of Micro-economics. Demand and supply is very important for the growth of an economy. It is when you are able to encourage citizens to create jobs while making money that you can ensure:
1. Growth in per-capita income.
2. Stimulation of domestic production.
3. Stimulation of domestic consumption.
4. Reduction in unemployment rate.
5. Diversification of means of National income
The list goes on and on.
I will give you a graphical representation;
1. Government expenditure (Loans)-->Investment Growth--> Rise in Employment rate-->Rise in domestic consumption--Rise in national income(Tax)
2. Provision of basic amenities-->Protection of Domestic companies--> Rise in FDI--> Rise in export rate--> improvement of the national currency
But with volunteer work, how do you help employment? What will happen to wage rate? How do you sustain the Work? What contribution are you making to national development? For how long will you volunteer? For your Info, there is what is called Coperate social responsibility. It is a spill over of adequate investments.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by cre8tivity(f): 6:32pm On Dec 14, 2009
lmao  grin  grin  grin
nigerians heard volunteer work for their country, they started throwing sinks and chairs at this man. poor deepilot, don't you know that average nigerians just want all he or she can get? giving back or volunteer work is not part of our vocabulary. sorry my dear.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Beaf: 6:36pm On Dec 14, 2009
Nigeria is hard to develop because of fools like depilot who jump on any progressive thread and derail it with infantile suggestions.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 6:38pm On Dec 14, 2009
Hey Beaf: How you dey? It's been a long time.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 6:43pm On Dec 14, 2009
In a nut-shell: Regardless of your age or level or the size of your contribution, it takes you and I to develop Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Afam(m): 6:43pm On Dec 14, 2009
We do not have sincere leaders and those being led are not helping matters by focusing too much on white collar jobs with no reasonable production of anything in Nigeria.

Nigeria cannot develop with its population if it remains an import destination. Today, companies from different parts of the world are doing their best to sell what they produce in Nigeria while our own people refuse to see the inherent danger in this trend.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Dec 14, 2009
Well volunteering in of itself may not develop a country but it is much more  worthwhile then ranting and raving, against government officials on the pages of nairaland.
Volunteering is actually a very noble and worthwhile activity which has made a positive impact in communities throughout Africa.

Beaf:

Nigeria is hard to develop because of fools like depilot who jump on any progressive thread and derail it with infantile suggestions.
There is nothing progressive whatsoever in expecting the FGN to pump more money into the system. That is not the solution .
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 6:46pm On Dec 14, 2009
Afam:

We do not have sincere leaders and those being led are not helping matters by focusing too much on white collar jobs with no reasonable production of anything in Nigeria.

Nigeria cannot develop with its population if it remains an import destination. Today, companies from different parts of the world are doing their best to sell what they produce in Nigeria while our own people refuse to see the inherent danger in this trend.
A great point, I completely agree.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 6:48pm On Dec 14, 2009
Tensor777:
The government has a sole responsibility of ensuring the safety of lives and properties. All they need to do is to encourage innovative suggestions and contributions from enlightened Nigerians that wants to contribute. For example, the boys that built the armoured cars should have been effectively retained and set up by government to ensure thats those cars are made in Nigeria at a cheaper rate to aid security, instead of spending billions to import those made abroad. That way there will be alot of spill over like:
1. Jobs will be created if such investments are made.
2. The cars can be manufactured to suite the specific security needs of Nigeria's armed forces.
3. More Citizens will learn the art of making them.
4. Exportation of the cars can be generated
5. External investors will become interested (inflow of forex)

Illiteracy is the least of our problems (I don't know how many chinese are literate, but they are growing) The problem is just the lack of will by the government to stimulate development. What does it take to build some of the best schools and training institutions in the world, in Nigeria? It takes simple political will to build, develop and sustain them. Why should private schools be more viable than public schools? It is a real pathetic situation.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Dec 14, 2009
You need to be a bit more specific as to where the extra revenue to build the Nigeria of your dreams will come from.

Actually full literacy would make the country easier to administer, and ensure greater accountability of businesses and organizations.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 7:01pm On Dec 14, 2009
@Afam: Nigerians are willing to produce, but how can you do that when you will have to depend on a generator to run the production process. What happens when fuel becomes scarce? When Criminals can easily go into your factory and steal you machines? When Produced goods are stolen in transit? When goods from China are cheaper (Low patronage)?
Provision of electric power, creation of Industrial areas, Provision of protective policies etc can solve these problems
Our government is sick!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Dec 14, 2009
An entrepreneur looks for business opportunities in whatever environment he finds himself. You can't keep whining and expect manna to fall from heaven.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 7:11pm On Dec 14, 2009
tensor777:

You need to be a bit more specific as to where the extra revenue to build the Nigeria of your dreams will come from.

Actually full literacy would make the country easier to administer, and ensure greater accountability of businesses and organizations.
shocked :oWhat extra revenue?
Bode george stole 80billion Naira fron NPA alone! and you are looking for a means of getting an extra revenue? Do you know that $25 billion dollars was used to bulid a brand new city in dubai, but we have wasted more than the same amount on power alone?
Do you know what a sincerely allocated and implemented $1 billion dollars financial project can do to the Nigerian economy?
I am surprised at the what you just wrote. So you don't even believe that we have enough money to turn Nigeria around!!!!!!!
Now I see why it is so easy for those thieves to steal.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 7:19pm On Dec 14, 2009
tensor777:

An entrepreneur looks for business opportunities in whatever environment he finds himself. You can't keep whining and expect manna to fall from heaven.

Boy, I am a made Man. I talk in M of $$$. I am just worried about my Nigerian peeps that have not made it because they don't have the chance I got. I only wish the right environment was available for me to contribute to the economy of my country. Rather my capital is helping another economy.
Unfortunately, I am into manufacturing, and it is too risky to try doing it in Nigeria with the situation there. Except the government will stake their cash, I can be sure that they can protect me. They behave like they gat nothing to loose.
The way you are thinking will leave you on a stagnant spot for a very long time. If you don't reason properly, I am afraid of your future.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 14, 2009
Yet the federal budget is even under the 25 billion dollars you quoted. I would like a rough breakdown as to how you propose to spend such funds to build the eldorado of your dreams, without neglecting Education Healthcare and Defence and Security.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 14, 2009
If we can have Calabar and Abuja that beautiful, I think same can be done for the entire nation but food and education first. People always take development as sky scrappers blah blah blah  that is absolute nonsense. More businesses doesn't symbolize development either. Greedy elitist chumps
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 7:26pm On Dec 14, 2009
9jaganja:

If we can have Calabar and Abuja that beautiful, I think same can be done for the entire nation but food and education first. People always take development as sky scrappers blah blah blah that is absolute nonsense. More businesses doesn't symbolize development either. Greedy elitist chumps
@9ijaganga: What is the symbol of development?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Did The Military Really Deny Muhammadu Buhari's Claim? / See What Buhari Told Court About Justice Bulkachuwa Before She Stepped Down / Excitement As Beneficiaries Of Enugu Govt’s Scholarship To India Thank Ugwuanyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.