Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:35 AM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (491832 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Slaw12: 4:21pm On Nov 19, 2017
nastyd:
To keep it going.
My encounter at POE was 2days ago
Here goes.

CBP: Evening sir.
Me : Good evening
CBP: What are you here for?
Me: Vacation
CBP: Where will you be staying
Me: Gave him the full address plus postal code.
CBP: where do you work and what do you do?
Me: I work for 9mobile formerly known as Etisalat Nigeria as a Customer Service Representative
CBP: How many days are you spending in the US?
Me: 9days
CBP: Married?
Me: Yes
CBP: Why are you not here with your wife
Me: She had her leave earlier this year.
CBP: How much do you have with you?
Me: $700
CBP: Enjoy your stay.

So yeah, thats basicly how it went.

btw mr Adeoluwanimi101...Doye dey find u o
Lol

Congratulations on ur POE... Pls where was ur POE? Thanks

4 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by nastyd(m): 10:03pm On Nov 19, 2017

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by boye123: 10:45pm On Nov 25, 2017
Hello House, will like to ask if one missed an initial trip to the US ,actually a conference owing to the fact that one lost his dad amidst the travelling preparation. Got invite for another conference , is it advisable to go along with a proof of the incidence possibly an 'Order Of Service' that was used during the funereal or simply just explain to the cbp officials. Thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by naijarazzi: 3:05am On Nov 26, 2017
boye123:
Hello House, will like to ask if one missed an initial trip to the US ,actually a conference owing to the fact that one lost his dad amidst the travelling preparation. Got invite for another conference , is it advisable to go along with a proof of the incidence possibly an 'Order Of Service' that was used during the funereal or simply just explain to the cbp officials. Thanks
Port of entry isn’t that serious. As Seye will say, Just be truthful. If the conference is real, and he has related documents, then he is fine.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:34am On Nov 26, 2017
boye123:
Since you're going for another conference I think you're in order but they may asked why you missed the conference you're suppose to go for... Explain why you couldn't make it and if they probe further you can show them evidence of the burial on your phone... just saying ooo not necessary.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by boye123: 12:49pm On Nov 26, 2017
thanks a bunch
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by jennytbell: 8:02pm On Nov 26, 2017
Landed in new York yesterday with virgin atlantic at 10:4pm ealier than expected arrival time.
The below is discussion with the Hispanic cbp
Cbp....how are you
Me....I am fine, how are you too and he answered
Cbp....so what brought you here this time around
Me.....vacation
Cbp..... how many days
Me....2weeks
Cbp....any family or friends in new york
Me....no
Cbp. ... so where will you be staying
Me...in an hotel and I have the reservation
Cbp.....are you sure you have no friends here, I answered him yes and He asked again even boyfriend..lol my face lit up and I smile then said no
Cbp.... so you will be staying alone at this hotel
Me....yes
Cbp.... I will come and pay you a visit, I just smile back at him
Cbp...welcome to America and he stamped in till may next year.

This is my second time in us and new york

9 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:47pm On Nov 26, 2017
jennytbell:
Landed in new York yesterday with virgin atlantic at 10:4pm ealier than expected arrival time.

Cbp.....are you sure you have no friends here, I answered him yes and He asked again even boyfriend..lol my face lit up and I smile then said no
Me....yes

You should have exchange number... grin

3 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by jennytbell: 10:01pm On Nov 27, 2017
seyewest:

You should have exchange number... grin

He can't finance my vacation so why bothered grin grin grin grin cheesy
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by hammed71(m): 11:03pm On Nov 27, 2017
jennytbell:

really?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:22pm On Nov 27, 2017
jennytbell:

grin grin grin
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by signature2012(m): 3:14am On Nov 28, 2017
jennytbell:
Cbp....how are you
Me.....vacation
Cbp..... how many days
Me....2weeks
Me....no
Me....yes

Which naija food stuff you carry come?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Nobody: 7:39am On Nov 28, 2017
Yes, we are going on a family vacation to visit my in-laws
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by boye123: 8:01am On Nov 28, 2017
Good morning @seyewest please will like to ask you personal question, is there a way i can reach you perhaps a phone number. thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by misspetit(f): 8:15am On Nov 28, 2017
jennytbell:
Cbp....how are you
Me.....vacation
Cbp..... how many days
Me....2weeks
Me....no
Me....yes

How many months interval before your second travel
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by doyinwbaby: 12:33pm On Nov 28, 2017
gondon:

I like better thing oh... I intend flying back to NEWYORK by 26-28 December, to return April... How do I go about d promo stuff, coz I am to buy my Virgin Atlantic ticket@@$1095.

promo ended already. you can keep looking out their websites for anything good. i moreover 1095usd is not bad
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by jennytbell: 9:31pm On Nov 29, 2017
misspetit:

How many months interval before your second travel

Was here last year November, meaning a year
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by jennytbell: 9:32pm On Nov 29, 2017
signature2012:

Which naija food stuff you carry come?

I don't come with any food stuff.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by LegitBachelor: 9:37pm On Nov 29, 2017
Took Qatar flight from Lagos (LOS) to Dallas Fort Worth (DFW). Of course we had a stop over in Doha (DOH). Got to Dallas around 3pm and met a very long queue.

All passenger, including those on connecting flights, were told to claim their checked-in baggage so that it can be screened by the cbp officers. I pity those who had connecting flights cos they'll have to recheck-in their baggage after clearing with customs and immigration.

I spent close to 1.5hours on the queue. I was a bit nervous as it was my first time visit to the States and I made a change in my destination.....mentioned I was staying in a hotel for two weeks during my visa application/interview but I later decided - after getting the visa - that I was staying with Mr G, a family friend, for one month. Also I had lots of food stuff. A whole travelling bag was filled with food stuff (23kg). I even included two bags of garri (3kg each) in the other travelling bag grin

We were first made to fill a form electronically. Questions like baggage contents were asked. After filling, a slip was printed out. The print out along with your intl passport is to be presented during the interview. My interview was brief. Here's the transcript:

Me: Good afternoon

CBP: Afternoon. How are you

Me: Fine. *Hands over my passport along with my slip*

CBP: So where are you going?

Me: Dallas. *Then I realised I goofed as I'm already in Dallas, Texas* grin

Me: Sorry, I'm going to bla bla bla in Dallas, Texas

CBP: How long are you staying?

Me: One month

CBP: Do you have your return ticket with you?

Me: Yes. *Shows him*

CBP: Did you pay for your ticket yourself?

CBP: So who are you going to see?

Me: Mr G, a family friend

CBP: What's his profession?

Me: *Tells him*

CBP: And what do you do?

Me: *Told him I work with a govt agency in nigeria and I work with an international agency*

CBP: *He then brings out his stamp and stamped my passport (6 months)* Welcome to Dallas, Texas. Enjoy your stay

Me: Thank you

My bag wasn't searched. It was a smooth sail. Mr G. was so elated seeing the loads of foodstuff I brought grin

Note that I didn't lie. I actually had the intention of staying in a hotel and perhaps visit Mr G. later. So I told the VO that I was going on vacation and that I'll visit Mr. G. I actually planned to stay in the hotel and later see Mr G. briefly but I later changed my mind after he pleaded with me to stay with him and also after I checked the financial implications of staying in the hotel.

9 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:10am On Nov 30, 2017
globalpaul:
Good morning Seyewest and others...My wife's uncle that invited my family just told me he got another job in Seattle and he has moved there and has left address in Houston. Meanwhile we have already booked ticket to Houston...so, how do we do it at POE in Houston if asked ? Thanks for your answer
The first question is this..
1- Are you planning to stay with your wife's uncle or hotel?
2- You need to tell them the truth and book hotel in Houston asap and also if possible inform your wife's uncle to be near his phone when you're on your way to U.S incase CBP want to verify your entry into U.S
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:13am On Nov 30, 2017
boye123:
Good morning @seyewest please will like to ask you personal question, is there a way i can reach you perhaps a phone number. thanks
Bro you can share it here... let us help others too.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:19am On Nov 30, 2017
LegitBachelor:
Took Qatar flight from Lagos (LOS) to Dallas Fort Worth (DFW). Of course we had a stop over in Doha (DOH). Got to Dallas around 3pm and met a very long queue.
My bag wasn't searched. It was a smooth sail. Mr G. was so elated seeing the loads of foodstuff I brought grin

Note that I didn't lie. I actually had the intention of staying in a hotel and perhaps visit Mr G. later. So I told the VO that I was going on vacation and that I'll visit Mr. G. I actually planned to stay in the hotel and later see Mr G. briefly but I later changed my mind after he pleaded with me to stay with him and also after I checked the financial implications of staying in the hotel.

Note to others it may not work for some people so don't expect the same treatment.
Enjoy your holiday. grin
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by MadeOfGrace: 11:59am On Nov 30, 2017
Hi,

Please how was your experience on Turkish airlines?

Been getting mixed reviews and I would like to get your opinion.

Anticipating your prompt response.

cakeman:
Arrived JFK lastnight onboard Turkish airline. CBP was a breeze. Why are you coming to America? How long you staying? what do you do? then welcome to America.

Less than a minute.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by gbemmy777: 2:21pm On Nov 30, 2017
LegitBachelor:

All passenger, including those on connecting flights, were told to claim their checked-in baggage so that it can be screened by the cbp officers. I pity those who had connecting flights cos they'll have to recheck-in their baggage after clearing with customs and immigration.

I spent close to 1.5hours on the queue. I was a bit nervous as it was my first time visit to the States and I made a change in my destination.....mentioned I was staying in a hotel for two weeks during my visa application/interview but I later decided - after getting the visa - that I was staying with Mr G, a family friend, for one month. Also I had lots of food stuff. A whole travelling bag was filled with food stuff (23kg). I even included two bags of garri (3kg each) in the other travelling bag grin

We were first made to fill a form electronically. Questions like baggage contents were asked. After filling, a slip was printed out. The print out along with your intl passport is to be presented during the interview. My interview was brief. Here's the transcript:

Me: Good afternoon

CBP: Afternoon. How are you

Me: Fine. *Hands over my passport along with my slip*

CBP: So where are you going?

Me: Dallas. *Then I realised I goofed as I'm already in Dallas, Texas* grin

Me: Sorry, I'm going to bla bla bla in Dallas, Texas

CBP: How long are you staying?

Me: One month

CBP: Do you have your return ticket with you?

Me: Yes. *Shows him*

CBP: Did you pay for your ticket yourself?

CBP: So who are you going to see?

Me: Mr G, a family friend

CBP: What's his profession?

Me: *Tells him*

CBP: And what do you do?

Me: *Told him I work with a govt agency in nigeria and I work with an international agency*

CBP: *He then brings out his stamp and stamped my passport (6 months)* Welcome to Dallas, Texas. Enjoy your stay

Me: Thank you

Note that I didn't lie. I actually had the inte,ntion of staying in a hotel and perhaps visit Mr G. later. So I told the VO that I was going on vacation and that I'll visit Mr. G. I actually planned to stay in the hotel and later see Mr G. briefly but I later changed my mind after he pleaded with me to stay with him and also after I checked the financial implications of staying in the hotel.
good day, trust you are enjoying yourself already. please we are also planning to fly with qatar to Houston soon. how was your experience with them. thanks is advance
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 4:18pm On Nov 30, 2017
gbemmy777:
good day, trust you are enjoying yourself already. please we are also planning to fly with qatar to Houston soon. how was your experience with them. thanks is advance

Please guys you're free to share your travel experience as well as including pictures... Tell us about the plane and flight experience e.g food, flight attendant attitude,departure time and transit airport experience.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by trovserg: 6:49pm On Nov 30, 2017
Good evening good people, Pls how do I get BTA and like how much should me and my spouse have at hand to avoid POE troubles, we are to spend 10days we also have a master card too
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:59pm On Nov 30, 2017
trovserg:
Good evening good people, Pls how do I get BTA and like how much should me and my spouse have at hand to avoid POE troubles, we are to spend 10days we also have a master card too
Talk to your banker and you can hold as much as possible but anything above $10k must be declared at POE.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by RDCSL: 12:55am On Dec 01, 2017
Hello house,

This tread is very helpful.

Pls, I would like to ask if it's advisable to fly in through JFK while final destination is Disney world Florida (it's a family trip) due to high cost of return ticket from Lagos to Florida (during interview a year ago we stated Disney World)

Hope thats not a problem with PoE
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by bigbus: 11:57am On Dec 01, 2017
RDCSL:
Hello house,

Pls, I would like to ask if it's advisable to fly in through JFK while final destination is Disney world Florida (it's a family trip) due to high cost of return ticket from Lagos to Florida (during interview a year ago we stated Disney World)

Shouldn't be an issue. You should hold the NY-Florida-NY return ticket.

If I were in your shoes, I will book hotel for the night of arrival in NY (in case the flight is delayed), and book an onward return ticket (NY-Florida-NY), and another night in NY before the return flight from NY to Lagos.
Check these costs against Lagos to Orlando or other US destinations: on Turkish, Emirates, Qatar, Ethiopian or Etihad, or other airlines, and you will have a good formula for your decisionl

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:07pm On Dec 01, 2017
RDCSL:
Hello house,

Yes you can but before you do that you must purchase your onward plane ticket to Florida before leaving Nigeria just in case they wanna know and also don't forget to call the hotel in Florida to confirm if your hotel booking is it valid and inform them to expect you and your family.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:13pm On Dec 01, 2017
bigbus:

Shouldn't be an issue. You should hold the NY-Florida-NY return ticket.

If I were in your shoes, I will book hotel for the night of arrival in NY (in case the flight is delayed), and book an onward return ticket (NY-Florida-NY), and another night in NY before the return flight from NY to Lagos.
Check these costs against Lagos to Orlando or other US destinations: on Turkish, Emirates, Qatar, Ethiopian or Etihad, or other airlines, and you will have a good formula for your decisionl
What if they want to visit Atlanta or Texas after the visit to Florida?

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.