Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,654 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (491925 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 12:52pm On Apr 13, 2017
oloribabs:

This kain questions sha... undecided
Na the best reply be that... this is a public forum I won't be part of those encouraging ppl to abuse their visa term and condition.

5 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by oloribabs(f): 1:39pm On Apr 13, 2017
seyewest:
Na the best reply be that... this is a public forum I won't be part of encouraging ppl to abuse their visa term and condition.
Of course yes. I don't support such.
Some people just ask lame questions on public forum, some things they know the answers already. I tire

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 2:48pm On Apr 13, 2017
oloribabs:

Of course yes. I don't support such.
Some people just ask lame questions on public forum, some things they know the answers already. I tire
Exactly

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ekpotek: 2:56pm On Apr 13, 2017
Hi Just stumble on this thread. This is educative and provides good experiences on what to expect at US POE. This is my POE experience in DTW Detriot in November 2016. I was travelling on KLM return from Birmingham to Pittsburgh with my wife. However, in my dropped-box renewal form, I have filled Atlanta as my final destination as I was also attending a conference there for 10 days.

POE: Your passports please
Me: Here it's (Handing him my passport and that of wife. Note my wife passport is British)
POE: Where are you going to?
Me: Pittsburgh and Atlanta
POE: How long are you staying?
Me:21 days
POE: Looked at us, looked at my passport and asked what will you be doing for 21 days when you stated you will be staying for 10 days.
Me: Yes, but my wife is visiting her friend in Pittsburgh as such I have extended my stay so that we can come back together
POE: How much dollars cash do you have with you
Me: About $4000
POE: Called another POE after stamping my passport in 6 months, handed my passport and that of my wife to this POE, who then asked us to follow him and retrieved our luggage.

2ndPOE: You said you have $4000 cash with you
Me: Yes, about that amount
2ndPOE: Okay, (POE must have suspected that I hiding something, they searched our bags), please can you bring out all the currency with you
Me: I bought out the $4000 plus other currencies I had with me, in Euro, British pounds, and Naira. 2ndPOE counted the money converted into $$$ and whao it was more than $10000
2ndPOE: You have over $10000 here and you said $4000
Me: Yes, the first POE only wanted to know about $$$
2ndPOE: You should declare all money not $$$ alone.
Me: Okay sorry, I didn't know
2ndPOE: checked my passport again, then said, okay I will allow you to go. But you need to complete the custom form. You can bring in a million dollars so far that you declare it to custom. You are lucky that I am happy today or I will have seized this money.
Me: Apologised again. Wrote my name on the currency declaration form, signed and return to POE
2ndPOE: Do you have anything to ask me?
Me: Nothing for now and we left to catch our connecting flight to Pittsburgh.

Lesson one, Be ready to declare your cash in any currency if is over $10000 or carry cash less than that. I was thinking that the amount with me although in different currencies will not add up to $10000. however, it was over $10000 buy $200. The POE actually converted even my naira to $$$. Lesson two, stick to your travel plan as filled in the form as much as possible. I was confident that having been going to the US since 2008 for this particular conference that POE will over looked my change in travel plan, as this is not the first time I have changed travel plan to the US. I believed that the POE must have been worried that I travelled with my wife from the UK and not from Lagos as filled in my form and returning back to the UK and carry up to $4000 cash for a 21 days visit. Finally, I also think the POE over-looked my breaking the US law, because of my extensive travel history and having satisfied himself that I was not trying to undeclared the cash, maybe I was naive and I have not stayed in the US beyond 10 days in my previous visits. All in all, I believed it was God's grace, favour and mercies that saw us through that day, as the other POE (a female) was saying that we are lucky, that his colleague is usually not nice to people. The POE actually helped us to declare it.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 3:44pm On Apr 13, 2017
ekpotek:
Hi Just stumble on this thread. This is educative and provides good experiences on what to expect at US POE. This is my POE experience in DTW Detriot in November 2016. I was travelling on KLM return from Birmingham to Pittsburgh with my wife. However, in my dropped-box renewal form, I have filled Atlanta as my final destination as I was also attending a conference there for 10 days.

POE: Your passports please
Me: Here it's (Handing him my passport and that of wife. Note my wife passport is British)
POE: Where are you going to?
Me: Pittsburgh and Atlanta
POE: How long are you staying?
Me:21 days
POE: Looked at us, looked at my passport and asked what will you be doing for 21 days when you stated you will be staying for 10 days.
Me: Yes, but my wife is visiting her friend in Pittsburgh as such I have extended my stay so that we can come back together
POE: How much dollars cash do you have with you
Me: About $4000
POE: Called another POE after stamping my passport in 6 months, handed my passport and that of my wife to this POE, who then asked us to follow him and retrieved our luggage.

2ndPOE: You said you have $4000 cash with you
Me: Yes, about that amount
2ndPOE: Okay, (POE must have suspected that I hiding something, they searched our bags), please can you bring out all the currency with you
Me: I bought out the $4000 plus other currencies I had with me, in Euro, British pounds, and Naira. 2ndPOE counted the money converted into $$$ and whao it was more than $10000
2ndPOE: You have over $10000 here and you said $4000
Me: Yes, the first POE only wanted to know about $$$
2ndPOE: You should declare all money not $$$ alone.
Me: Okay sorry, I didn't know
2ndPOE: checked my passport again, then said, okay I will allow you to go. But you need to complete the custom form. You can bring in a million dollars so far that you declare it to custom. You are lucky that I am happy today or I will have seized this money.
Me: Apologised again. Wrote my name on the currency declaration form, signed and return to POE
2ndPOE: Do you have anything to ask me?
Me: Nothing for now and we left to catch our connecting flight to Pittsburgh.

Lesson one, Be ready to declare your cash in any currency if is over $10000 or carry cash less than that. I was thinking that the amount with me although in different currencies will not add up to $10000. however, it was over $10000 buy $200. The POE actually converted even my naira to $$$. Lesson two, stick to your travel plan as filled in the form as much as possible. I was confident that having been going to the US since 2008 for this particular conference that POE will over looked my change in travel plan, as this is not the first time I have changed travel plan to the US. I believed that the POE must have been worried that I travelled with my wife from the UK and not from Lagos as filled in my form and returning back to the UK and carry up to $4000 cash for a 21 days visit. Finally, I also think the POE over-looked my breaking the US law, because of my extensive travel history and having satisfied himself that I was not trying to undeclared the cash, maybe I was naive and I have not stayed in the US beyond 10 days in my previous visits. All in all, I believed it was God's grace, favour and mercies that saw us through that day, as the other POE (a female) was saying that we are lucky, that his colleague is usually not nice to people. The POE actually helped us to declare it.
Thank you for this info and hopefully travelers to U.S will key into it.

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by oscarvicto(m): 4:05pm On Apr 13, 2017
seyewest:
This is my problem are you planning to apply for US visa so you can carry foodstuffs for someone? This is so unnecessary

Am actually applying for a us visa for a research grant/work. But am carrying the foodstuffs to an African foodstuff shop for sale. How do I go about it?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 4:09pm On Apr 13, 2017
oscarvicto:

Am actually applying for a us visa for a research grant/work. But am carrying the foodstuffs to an African foodstuff shop for sale. How do I go about it?
And if they don't issue you the visa what will the store do? I wonder why they can't courier it and this thread is for those with visa and those who have booked a flight to U.S

7 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Oreoreore: 2:18am On Apr 14, 2017
@seyewest i arrived safely lastwk and am enjoying Philly so much with my daughter and uncle , tnks for all d advise etc... I will send my transcript soon as i have being busy with enjoyment, lols.no issues whatsoever at POE, And Turkish Airline is wonderful ,1000 more trips on Turkish airline .its Mizportable.

4 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Oreoreore: 3:03am On Apr 14, 2017
I had booked our flight a day before( my daughter and i) on wakanow blablabla.
The flight was schedule for 8.45pm, stopover was for 1hour at instanbul... they asked if i had laptops ipad etc i said No, also there i met some guys i think they are US immigration officers in Turkish airport they asked me where i was going, with who,how long am staying etc. And i was cleared( with my daughter )
We took off an hour later, the flight was 10hrs and about 40mins to JFK.
On getting to JFK i helped myself with the biometric self service to scan our passports, put my finger prints, and our pictures taken etc. There was no stress at all, infact one of the black American officer was jisting with me, playing with my daughter.

Then i proceeded to the 1st CBP OFFICER.

1ST CBP OFFICER : hello how are you?
ME : Am fine thank you ( i gave him our passports and the form that was given to us on board) He looked at the forms and tore it . Then he opened our passport to look at it.

CBP : Is that your baby
ME : Yes

CBP: she is very cute and looks so much like you
ME : thanks

CBP : what are you here for
ME : for vacation i will be staying with my Uncle in Philadelphia

CBP : how long are you staying
ME : 3 weeks because my daughter will resume school first monday in April

CBP : how will you get to philadelphia
ME : my Uncle is definately waiting for me , he is in airport at the moment ( i had sent my flight details to him at mmia and i proceeded to show the officer the chat history btw my uncle and i but he was already convinced)

CBP : what do you do for a living
ME : i am ***********

CBP : what does your Husband do for a living
ME : He is ***** with ***** in ******

I had 1500 with me but he didnt asked me but i remember he asked if i had any agric products etc and i said no....

CBP : stamps the 2 passports and write dates , okay here you go.... welcome to American

ME : thanks.

PROCEEDED TO GET MY BOX

THE 2ND INSPECTION.

CBP OFFICER ( A WOMAN) : Any Agricultural products to declare

ME : No

CBP : How long are you staying
ME : 3weeks

CBP : welcome to America etc.....

And then i saw my Uncle and Family. ( Uncle was there an 1hr earlier)

Total hours of flight was 16hours 40mins. Plus nobody should be scared of turkish airways ( as long as your hands are clean )and, their service is amazing and the most interesting part is my stopover was just for an hour and we took off again and So many children on board ( maybe cos of the Holidays) my daughter had fun.

All thanks to God , and to Mr Seyewest and everyone that contributed to making this trip successful.

24 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by TWoods(m): 3:29am On Apr 14, 2017
seyewest:
Process your stay as how? I thought you applied for a visiting visa.. I will advise you to ask the CBP officer at the airport on how to process your stay, they will be in the best position to take you through the application and process. Good luck

shocked grin grin grin
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by TWoods(m): 3:30am On Apr 14, 2017
michaeladesiyan:

Please I'm going for a conference too with my family. I was given 2 years. Can we stay and process our stay? Please how do we get our stat after the conference?

Behold! The people who make it difficult for others at the US consulate.

26 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by jel10: 7:35am On Apr 14, 2017
Oreoreore:
The flight was schedule for 8.45pm, stopover was for 1hour at instanbul... they asked if i had laptops ipad etc i said No, also there i met some guys i think they are US immigration officers in Turkish airport they asked me where i was going, with who,how long am staying etc. And i was cleared( with my daughter )
We took off an hour later, the flight was 10hrs and about 40mins to JFK.
On getting to JFK i helped myself with the biometric self service to scan our passports, put my finger prints, and our pictures taken etc. There was no stress at all, infact one of the black American officer was jisting with me, playing with my daughter.

Then i proceeded to the 1st CBP OFFICER.

1ST CBP OFFICER : hello how are you?
ME : Am fine thank you ( i gave him our passports and the form that was given to us on board) He looked at the forms and tore it . Then he opened our passport to look at it.

CBP : Is that your baby
ME : Yes

CBP: she is very cute and looks so much like you
ME : thanks

CBP : what are you here for
ME : for vacation i will be staying with my Uncle in Philadelphia

CBP : how long are you staying
ME : 3 weeks because my daughter will resume school first monday in April

CBP : how will you get to philadelphia
ME : my Uncle is definately waiting for me , he is in airport at the moment ( i had sent my flight details to him at mmia and i proceeded to show the officer the chat history btw my uncle and i but he was already convinced)

CBP : what do you do for a living
ME : i am ***********

CBP : what does your Husband do for a living
ME : He is ***** with ***** in ******

I had 1500 with me but he didnt asked me but i remember he asked if i had any agric products etc and i said no....

CBP : stamps the 2 passports and write dates , okay here you go.... welcome to American

ME : thanks.

PROCEEDED TO GET MY BOX

THE 2ND INSPECTION.

CBP OFFICER ( A WOMAN) : Any Agricultural products to declare

ME : No

CBP : How long are you staying
ME : 3weeks

CBP : welcome to America etc.....

And then i saw my Uncle and Family. ( Uncle was there an 1hr earlier)

Total hours of flight was 16hours 40mins. Plus nobody should be scared of turkish airways ( as long as your hands are clean )and, their service is amazing and the most interesting part is my stopover was just for an hour and we took off again and So many children on board ( maybe cos of the Holidays) my daughter had fun.

All thanks to God , and to Mr Seyewest and everyone that contributed to making this trip successful.

Pls,when did you travel?

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by fadjnr(m): 8:43am On Apr 14, 2017
Please what sites can be used to book an hotel in the US and payment done with Nigerian card?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ekpotek: 10:13am On Apr 14, 2017
fadjnr:
Please what sites can be used to book an hotel in the US and payment done with Nigerian card?

www.booking.com.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 1:52pm On Apr 14, 2017
Oreoreore:

It was nice reading your transcripts... Enjoy your holiday.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 1:57pm On Apr 14, 2017
TWoods:

Behold! The people who make it difficult for others at the US consulate.
Twood I just tire men.... The guy is unserious.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by fadjnr(m): 3:10pm On Apr 14, 2017
seyewest:
Twood I just tire men.... The guy is unserious.

Please is 900$ okay for a 9 day stay?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 3:30pm On Apr 14, 2017
fadjnr:

Please is 900$ okay for a 9 day stay?
Yes if you can get an affordable hotel at less than $70 per day
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by fadjnr(m): 6:32pm On Apr 14, 2017
seyewest:

Hotel has been booked already.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by fadjnr(m): 6:33pm On Apr 14, 2017
seyewest:

Hotel has been booked already
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 7:04pm On Apr 14, 2017
fadjnr:

Hotel has been booked already

You're good to go
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by fadjnr(m): 8:13pm On Apr 14, 2017
seyewest:

You're good to go
Thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cerezo: 2:40pm On Apr 15, 2017
Here's a wonderful resource for those planning bus or train travels within the US: www.wanderu.com
You can pay with NGN cards as long as your total price is less than your card limit.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Daragurl12(f): 8:13am On Apr 16, 2017
Gud morning house.Pls I've been trying to book a train or bus to new jersey from JFK airport even using wanderu.com but am not getting it.Pls help out.Happy easter to everyone.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Osama10(m): 11:27am On Apr 16, 2017
Nice experiences.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by nefertitiram: 12:18pm On Apr 16, 2017
Daragurl12:
Gud morning house.Pls I've been trying to book a train or bus to new jersey from JFK airport even using wanderu.com but am not getting it.Pls help out.Happy easter to everyone.

From JFK take airport transporter to Penn station. From Penn station take a train to your new Jersey destination. So book on wanderu from penn station.

Did you try greyhound?

5 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by TWoods(m): 12:21am On Apr 17, 2017
Daragurl12:

Why don't you take uber? Its easier. Or if you're willing to pay, i'll come get you. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 8:53am On Apr 17, 2017
TWoods:

Why don't you take uber? Its easier. Or if you're willing to pay, i'll come get you. grin
I'm not sure she will have internet.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by borryworld: 5:56pm On Apr 18, 2017
@seyewest

Please. I need direction on how visa appointment should be scheduled for 2 kids btw 5 and 2 years old. Father and Mother have valid visas (won't expire soon) already. Thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 7:34pm On Apr 18, 2017
borryworld:
@seyewest

Please. I need direction on how visa appointment should be scheduled for 2 kids btw 5 and 2 years old. Father and Mother have valid visas (won't expire soon) already. Thanks

I will like to direct you to this forum.. they will take you through everything you needed.

https://www.nairaland.com/2656320/usa-visit-visa-part-2

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cumz(m): 10:57pm On Apr 18, 2017
@seyewest, and other 'guru' This Pta stuff, or is it bta, do you know anything about it?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by biggie1o2(m): 11:10pm On Apr 18, 2017
@Seyewest please I need your advise.

I have booked my flight on Turkish Airlines to Houston but I intend staying for my hols in Connecticut with a family friend. So this is my plan, on my visa application, I used a hotel in San Antonio as my destination in order to visit the sea world Resort which is almost 4hours drive from the airport. My flight will arrive at 19:05pm. So I do like to know, if booking a hotel close to the airport for just the night and book another for a couple of days at a hotel in San Antonio. but my intention is just to do a night stop and fly to Connecticut the next day. This is just to avoid any possible issues at the POE.

Does this look Okay? Your advice pls.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.