Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,032 members, 7,803,465 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

Read Ise L’ogun Ise: Classic Yoruba Poem By J.F. Odunjo With English Translation - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Read Ise L’ogun Ise: Classic Yoruba Poem By J.F. Odunjo With English Translation (18544 Views)

Certified Russian/ukrainian Academic Documents Translation Service / Affordable Academic Official Translation For Your Certificates And Transcripts / NYSC Orientation Camp Ise-orun Emure. What To Expect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Read Ise L’ogun Ise: Classic Yoruba Poem By J.F. Odunjo With English Translation by Opinionated: 2:08pm On Mar 06, 2017
Ise L’ogun Ise one of the classic poems of African poetry in Yoruba language written by J.F. Odunjo. Read it next with English translation.

Ise l’ogun ise

(Work is the antidote for poverty)

Mura s’ise ore mi

(Work hard, my friend)

Ise la fi n’deni giga

(Work/Labour is the major tool for elevation)

Bi a ko ba reni feyin ti

(If we do not have anyone to lean on)

Bi ole la’nri

(We appear indolent)

Bi a ko ba reni gbekele

(If we do not have anyone to support us)

A tera mo’se eni

(We simply work harder)

Iya re le lowo lowo

(Your mother might be rich)

Baba re le lesin lekan

(Your father may have a stable full of horses)

Bi o ba gbo’ju lewon

(If you rely on them)

O te tan ni mo so fun o

(You are close to shame and disgrace, I tell you)

Ohun ti a ko ba ji’ya fun

(Whatever one does not work hard to earn)

Se kii le pe lowo

(Usually does not last)

Ohun ti a ba fara sise fun

(Whatever gain one seriously labours for)

Nii pe lowo eni

(Usually lasts with one)

Apa lara

(Your arm is kin)

Egunpa niyekan

(The elbow is a sibling)

B’aye ba n’fe o loni

(If the world loves you today)

Bi o ba lowo lowo

(If you have money)

Aye a ma fe o lola

(The world will still love you tomorrow)

Tabi ki o wa ni’po atata

(Or if you are in a prestigious position)

Aye a ma ye o si terinterin

(The world will celebrate you with smiles)

Je k’o de’ni tin rago

(Wait till you become poor)

Aye a ma yinmu si o

(The world will grimace at you)

Eko si’nso ni d’oga

(Education also elevates one to higher positions)

Mura ki o ko dara dara

(Ensure that you acquire it well)

Bi o si r’opo eniyan

(And if you see a lot of people)

Ti won f’eko s’erin rinrin

(Making mockery of education with laughter)

Dakun ma f’ara we won

(Please do not emulate or keep their company)

Iya n’bo fun’omo ti ko gbon

(Suffering beckons for the unwise child)

Ekun n’be fun’omo to nsa kiri

(Tears are due for the truant child)

Ma f’owuro sere ore mi

(Do not toy with your early years)

Mura si’se ojo’nlo

(Work hard; time waits for no one)

source: http://www.opinions.ng/read-ise-logun-ise-classic-yoruba-poem-j-f-odunjo-english-translation/

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Read Ise L’ogun Ise: Classic Yoruba Poem By J.F. Odunjo With English Translation by ThePathfinder(m): 4:00pm On Mar 06, 2017
Beautiful piece! It used to be one of my favourite poems in those days. Still has the same meaning like that period in time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Read Ise L’ogun Ise: Classic Yoruba Poem By J.F. Odunjo With English Translation by adroitvezy(m): 4:37pm On Mar 06, 2017
lovely piece, the translator did a nice job.

2 Likes

Re: Read Ise L’ogun Ise: Classic Yoruba Poem By J.F. Odunjo With English Translation by Opinionated: 10:39am On Mar 12, 2017
Mynd44, Lalasticlala, let us encourage hardwork.
Re: Read Ise L’ogun Ise: Classic Yoruba Poem By J.F. Odunjo With English Translation by Nikra(m): 9:43pm On Sep 30, 2019
ow, personally I prefer short poems as it may be full of sense. To be honest, I think that short poems may have the same meaning explained in a short narration that may hook your attention with the first words. By the way, I didn't have such opinion until I found the site with these Poems, that caught my attention. Since that time I prefer short classic poems, because reading such poems you may remember your live, the moments that happened to you and have some kind of reflection in the lines of poem... Some of such classic poems teach us, and, frankly speaking, I read a poem each day after I wake up, and in makes me feel energized as I'm a sensitive person and such great poems have a great effect on me...

(1) (Reply)

Relocating To Abuja For My Nysc / Female Corper Donates Borehole To Akwa Ibom Community (Photo) / Corper Precious Died In A Car Crash In Jos. (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.