Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:10 PM

Have You Ever Crashed A Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Have You Ever Crashed A Car? (4424 Views)

Man Who Represented Nigeria In Dubai Auto Racing Returns After His Car Crashed / Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / Components To Avoid When Washing A Car Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by carino: 1:17pm On Dec 15, 2009
Yesterday was a day i will never forget.  I've heard of people crashing cars, seen people crashing cars but I have never personally crashed a car. And yesterday the first day I crashed a car 6 people and a baby almost died and the car suffered lots of damages. I went to work this morning via public bus. If you've crashed a car share your experience and lessons gained from such experiences.
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 15, 2009
a few times, grin
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Dec 15, 2009
Nope
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 15, 2009
h
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by mccloud224(m): 5:39am On Dec 16, 2009
I've crashed two cars. . .a Mercedes and a Volvo. . .collateral damage. . .nobody died. . .Thank God for that.
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by eyoniggar(m): 11:42am On Dec 16, 2009
I bought my car Sept 2007. Till date I have never crashed it, even though that was the car I used to learn how to drive in this crazy lagos road.

However I have bashed the bumper before, and it was due to the fact that I was looKing at a big bacK-side on the other side of the road, i hit the covet and quicKly swerved bacK. Since then I stopped looKing at bacK-sides while driving.
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by kayc33(m): 11:51am On Dec 16, 2009
nope i havnt
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by gozzilla(m): 11:54am On Dec 16, 2009
eyoniggar:

However I have bashed the bumper before, and it was due to the fact that I was looKing at a big bacK-side on the other side of the road, i hit the covet and quicKly swerved bacK. Since then I stopped looKing at bacK-sides while driving.
Man good for you

I did one. Back in the university days. It was a peugeot 504. We were about 5 in the car. 2 guys and 3 babes. Funny thing was i never felt like picking up those chicks.
Somehow i tried overtaking a trailer on a hilly road. The 504 had good engines so it moved nice and fast. But at the top of the hill i forgot myself and kept on the speed. Right at the top was a round about so i ought to have reduced the speed. one thing lead to another and i found myself on the round about.

It sure has made me more careful
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by Akebulan: 12:01pm On Dec 16, 2009
I did once. And had to do a bunch of stuff to get back to "life". Suffered back, leg, neck pain and the works. Could not go back to work for the next 6 months. It is the one moment of my life that has had the most impact on me.

No one died, thank God.
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by Jerie(m): 12:05pm On Dec 16, 2009
Never crashed one, but have been in a car that crased. I was driving with my dad at about 80 kph when the brake suddenly went flat. Unfortunately, our line of traffic was stopped by the traffic wardens and so, we had to climb the culvert to avoid hittng the car in front of us which was an estate carrying school kids. Well, thank God for this wonderful street light that stoppped us and finished off the front of the car. well, no one was hurt, but there were bills to be paid. For days after that, i didn't drive, and didn't feel like driving.
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by ajibawealt(m): 12:07pm On Dec 16, 2009
I bought my first mid this year and got it crashed in less than 5 months. I was on my way back from the office after I'd stopped at the filling station to bought some fuel. I ran into a building on a corner piece and the car was damaged beyond repair. Thank God, I'm alive to tell the tails on another day. I later took the damaged car to Owode to sell if off and to my surprise, it was priced for N40k, a car I bought for N600k.
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by gozzilla(m): 12:21pm On Dec 16, 2009
ajibawealt:

I later took the damaged car to Owode to sell if off and to my surprise, it was priced for N40k, a car I bought for N600k.

The cost of a crash,
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 16, 2009
It happened sometime July this year. I was driving along Lekki-Epe expressway, around Ahoyaya settlement, that Saturday morning.
I wanted to go and check an apartment I wanted to rent, via a Nairalander. Myself and the nairalander had gone to inspect the house together the earlier last weekend, so I wanted to go alone the next weekend. I was almost getting to the place when I got confused on where to turn. I was on around 120 when I suddenly realized I was close to where to turn, I wasn't sure whether it was that turning or the next. While in that moment of indecision, I realized my car was already drifting off the road, with the left front tyre already off the road. Momentarily, I tried to swerve back to the road, I turned the steering just slightly, but before I knew it, the car swerved totally off the road. It went off the road, reversed itself back to the road(somebody said I was the one that reversed it, but I doubt it), spinning on the road. I thought it was going to somersault. I was just inside the car, expecting the worse to happen, put my legs off and my hands just on steering.  It produced a very large noise and dusts erupted. People watching were shouting and some okada guys rushed to rescue me. I was calm, still inside the car. After the spin on the middle of the road, the car slowed down and I unfasten my seat belt, tried to open the door but couldn't. I recalled I was the one that locked teh car, so I unlocked it and opened the door and came out, the car was still moving, albeit very slowly. I came out of the car, unscathed. All these happened within 1 minute.

It was like a miracle. Thankfully, the next car was very far from me and had seen the incident from afar, so was able to slow down before getting to the point where my car was spinning at the middle of the road, otherwise, it could have also hit me. After coming out, I just went to the side of the road and bowed my head on the ground in appreciation.(that is the Islamic way to celebrate happiness-compare when Egyptians score goal in football matches). All the watchers surrounded me and were congratulatiing me. One of the area boys went inside the car(it stopped at the middle of the road) and drove it to the side of the road. I would have killed people waiting for public transport as I was told people do wait for buses at the side of the road I hit, but there was nobody there yet.

The car was partly damaged, but not so seriously given the severity of the accident. See pictures.

Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by Spyker: 12:31pm On Dec 16, 2009
eyoniggar:

I bought my car Sept 2007. Till date I have never crashed it, even though that was the car I used to learn how to drive in this crazy lagos road.

However I have bashed the bumper before, and it was due to the fact that I[b] was looKing at a big bacK-side [/b] grin on the other side of the road, i hit the covet and quicKly swerved bacK. Since then I stopped looKing at bacK-sides lipsrsealed while driving.

This guy is really funny.
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Dec 16, 2009
After the accident, I totally overhauled the car. Replaced tyres with alloy rims, change radiator which damaged after the car, repainted etc, at cost close to 150K.
Ile oba tojo ewa lobukun grin

Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 16, 2009
Looking forward to crashing one!!! wink
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by MUNEER2(m): 12:55pm On Dec 16, 2009
The first time and the only time i crashed a car was when i was still learning how to drive. To worsen the situation, i was fasting that day, at one point shocked, i felt like i was gonna faint, but i made it after breaking my fast.

@Poster, I'm sorry for what happened to you

sauer:

Looking forward to crashing one!!! wink

Maybe Amen! grin
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by Positivity(m): 1:09pm On Dec 16, 2009
I've never really crashed a car just minor bumps and scratches, but there was this day a babe thoroughly bashed me from behind. I'd often wondered what I would do should such ever happen, always thinking I'd shout on the person.

I actually found myself inquiring after her wellbeing seeing that she was in a state of shock, the moment I established she was okay I jejely got into my car and drove off.
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 16, 2009
Jarus:

It happened sometime July this year. I was driving along Lekki-Epe expressway, around Ahoyaya settlement, that Saturday morning.
I wanted to go and check an apartment I wanted to rent, via a Nairalander. Myself and the nairalander had gone to inspect the house together the earlier last weekend, so I wanted to go alone the next weekend. I was almost getting to the place when I got confused on where to turn. I was on around 120 when I suddenly realized I was close to where to turn, I wasn't sure whether it was that turning or the next. While in that moment of indecision, I realized my car was already drifting off the road, with the left front tyre already off the road. Momentarily, I tried to swerve back to the road, I turned the steering just slightly, but before I knew it, the car swerved totally off the road. It went off the road, reversed itself back to the road(somebody said I was the one that reversed it, but I doubt it), spinning on the road. I thought it was going to somersault. I was just inside the car, expecting the worse to happen, put my legs off and my hands just on steering.  It produced a very large noise and dusts erupted. People watching were shouting and some okada guys rushed to rescue me. I was calm, still inside the car. After the spin on the middle of the road, the car slowed down and I unfasten my seat belt, tried to open the door but couldn't. I recalled I was the one that locked teh car, so I unlocked it and opened the door and came out, the car was still moving, albeit very slowly. I came out of the car, unscathed. All these happened within 1 minute.

It was like a miracle. Thankfully, the next car was very far from me and had seen the incident from afar, so was able to slow down before getting to the point where my car was spinning at the middle of the road, otherwise, it could have also hit me. After coming out, I just went to the side of the road and bowed my head on the ground in appreciation.(that is the Islamic way to celebrate happiness-compare when Egyptians score goal in football matches). All the watchers surrounded me and were congratulatiing me. One of the area boys went inside the car(it stopped at the middle of the road) and drove it to the side of the road. I would have killed people waiting for public transport as I was told people do wait for buses at the side of the road I hit, but there was nobody there yet.

The car was partly damaged, but not so seriously given the severity of the accident. See pictures.

shocked  shocked  shocked  shocked  shocked

Wow, that must have been quite an experience.
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by chelseabmw(m): 2:01pm On Dec 16, 2009
I have being driving since over five years now i have never had an accidient
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by tsmith(f): 2:29pm On Dec 16, 2009
i remember crashing my 1st car like a week after I bought it.

I hd learnt to drive with cars at home & my boyfriend's car, so was no novice to driving. But on this day, I was on oregun road & it was raining! A bus attempted an illegal U-turn which made the taxi between the bus & i slam its' brakes, i slammed mine too, maybe not well enough & the road was just newly done, so the car skidded and went into the back of the taxi & the taxi into the bus.

trust the stupid bus driver, he didnt stop! tony tetula just release his track u don bash my car, so u can imagine ppl signing that to us, twasnt funny at all, We had to drive to adeniyi jones to meet the taxi owners, who for some divine reasons let me off the hook. My car needed the bonnet replaced & a nw paint job!

The irony of the situation IS (till date) i was just coming from blessing the car at my aunty's (the whole wine pouring over bonnet thing) and also the pastor just prayed over the car the day before after service. I kept thing upon all. Since then, I have blessed evry single car i have bought by myself, dont need anyone to pray for me, same with our house or when i gave birth, my husband & I dont blv in getting other ppl to pray over your matters, God hears everybody equally, no one is more special!

@ poster, sad to hear abt your car crash, hope everyone is better & nothing fatal! You'd need to drive again ASAP, otherwise u might be scarred and fearful of driving!
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by showbobo(m): 2:33pm On Dec 16, 2009
Hmmm. . . . . . Yeah,I once did. . . Na that day sef the airbag almost suffocated me.
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by axeman85(m): 2:36pm On Dec 16, 2009
I havent actually bashed a car before But. i have bashed a danfo before coming out of unlag gate and the guy was wasting my time picking passengers in the middle of the road so i just revved my car and with speed smashed the side of the danfo. my car sligh damage but didnt mind. Road rage.

I have a very bad road rage but so far been lucky not to have been involved in any major or minor crash or bump into another car in naija. thanks to God.

in uk back in 2006 drove into the back of a minivan. the van was ok but my passat was a writeoff as the whole front was damaged. i just sat down looking at what happened, i new i had a faulty brake but thought i could manage it till next time, also drove into the back of a car as the idiot woman just slammed on the brakes all of a sudden when the traffic ight was green. since then av always been careful and avnt driven a car since then. not scared or anything but prefer to go by bus, its cheaper and less stress. lol  

@jarus

like the new look of the car. the alloys made the ride look better. thank God you will be eating fish next week friday. lol
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by ochukoccna: 3:31pm On Dec 16, 2009
carino:

Yesterday was a day i will never forget.  I've heard of people crashing cars, seen people crashing cars but I have never personally crashed a car. And yesterday the first day I crashed a car 6 people and a baby almost died and the car suffered lots of damages. I went to work this morning via public bus. If you've crashed a car share your experience and lessons gained from such experiences.

Did you leave something out, like almost getting lynched grin grin grin since you said some people almost died? Trust Lagos mobs! grin grin grin
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by ochukoccna: 3:49pm On Dec 16, 2009
It's not a thing to laugh about but to praise God for. I personally almost got lynched some 12 years ago when I bashed an older distant cousin's car in my area of all places. Reason was I didn't drop my cousin's car keys for the people whose car i bashed. Thing I thank God for was the spot the bashed car ended up was a place where kids in that part of my neighborhood played. I've done many things in my short span of existence on earth but to add child killer to it-----  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by platinumnk(f): 3:52pm On Dec 16, 2009
Yes . . cry cry
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by Igwe9(m): 3:53pm On Dec 16, 2009
God help us!
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by LordReed(m): 4:42pm On Dec 16, 2009
When I about 15 my uncle who was travelling out of the country gave me his car keys to warm it while he was away. I had just gotten a book on how to drive so I decided to use it as an opportunity to practice. In the course of practicing I got one of my friends who knew how to drive n we were practising in 1004 back then. So there I was learner manoeuvring through a parking lot of cars thank God people had gone to work or God knows how many cars I would have hit dat day. I had just turned into a corner wen I was told to brake, I panicked cos I forget which was the brake so I ran the car into the back of another car. Lucky for me only the rear light broke cos I wasn't speeding.

After I had been driving for about two years I had a car spin experience. I was driving my mother and sistas to the airport in Abuja when I noticed I was doing 160 and approaching a bridge. Silly me I hit the brakes, the steering jerked in my hands and I lost control. The car turned and faced the direction we were coming from, my mother was just saying Jesus Jesus so thanks be to God we hit nothing. The car came to rest in the middle of the road with barely a scratch except a flat tire.

About a year or so after that I was going to pick up my sista from her JAMB exam wen someone broadsided me. I was just turning into the school wen I saw him hit me on the passenger side. He wrecked the door & B-pillar, the chasis was dented and the radiator burst. I was screaming mad cos the car had just come back from the mechanic.
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by Tvc(m): 4:48pm On Dec 16, 2009
Yah i once did on osodi bridge and the mob even gathered to even steal frm me thank God he indivene.
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by ayobase(m): 4:53pm On Dec 16, 2009
sure, I did!
Re: Have You Ever Crashed A Car? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 16, 2009
This one happened when we were teenagers, around 1999 in our hometown in Kwara(Offa).
It involved myself, my younger brother and his friend., with my brother on the steering. My younger brother just learnt driving and me a learner. We were still in secondary school(I was in SSS2, he was in SSS1). We were one of the few teenagers in town that can drive that time, so it got into our head and we used to be 'oppressing' those ladies in our secondary school. grin

One Friday, we were coming from Juma'at(poor small boys, may God forgive us grin) and we saw one lady by the roadside that was a mate to my brother in primary school but now in another secondary school.
We had passed the lady, when my brother noticed that '. . .this so so person now'. He was trying to reverse as he tried to stop the lady, but the lady was 'forming' and did not stop, I'm not sure whether he recognised my brother again. As my brother continued to reverse, he hit a very big stone beside the road, and the back bumper got damaged.

Instinctively, instead of stopping there and regretting, we quickly put the car back in gear 1 and zoomed off. Don't know what happened after, but I'm sure the lady would be laughing at us.
After zooming off the lady's sight, we parked in one corner and began to gnash our teeth. We had damaged Mumsy's car. We quickly raised money and took the car to the panel beater. They saw the scratch at home but we explained it away as just a minor bash.

Anytime we recalled that incident, we laughed our a.s.s off grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Should One Do When There Is A Recall On An Imported Used Vehicle? / Where Can I P.I.M.P My Ride In Abuja? / Chat With A Mechanic Online....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.