Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,415 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:38 AM

Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. (2549 Views)

'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo / Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate / Atiku May Pick Okonjo Iweala As Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by buluti(m): 2:31pm On Jan 19, 2007
Please see the link from Thisday.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=68341

This is upsetting and disturbing if it turns out to be true. What kind a president would block a citizen form being in such a key position, no matter the personal differences. Shouldnt the country come first.

This might have improved our good will and is a good recommendation for every Nigerian, such advantages cannot be quantified.

My opinion i will like to hear how Nigerians and all think of this.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by Mamajama(m): 2:37pm On Jan 19, 2007
Why does Nigerian news paper thrive in speculation and feeding the public false information.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by mazaje(m): 2:38pm On Jan 19, 2007
if the report turns out to be true then OBJ is just being him self nothing more he is still the same old, backward thinking retarded, outdated and good for nothing baboon dons that knows nothing but how to exibit his stupidity all the time
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by buluti(m): 2:48pm On Jan 19, 2007
I dont think its only Nigerian dailies that engages in speculation, its a known charateristice of the media.

However, in this case they got info from an Australian newspaper and also if you followed the developments leading to the announcement of the UN VP, Okonjo-Iweala was expected to be announced as VP, but SUDDENLY it changed. It was anticipated that a diplomatic move went against her from some quarters, no one thought it was coming from her home. The analysis by this day does not seem like HOAX as the Tanzanian lady has some controversies surrounding her, so it was definately not planned.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by Mamajama(m): 3:01pm On Jan 19, 2007
where is the credibility in the story beside all the insinuations?
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by BigB11(m): 3:55pm On Jan 19, 2007
What else is new?

The man is a user, very vindictive and wants it all for himself.

What a shame.

Advise for Okonjo-iweala: No need to lose any sleep, stay focused; there are beautiful days ahead.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by docokwy(m): 3:56pm On Jan 19, 2007
Obasanjo is a selfish traitor who wants everything good in Nigeria to come from him alone. His messianic tendency is suffocating. He should be tried for treason after leaving power. The story must be true because Oyibo people (here I mean every light-skinned persons) generally do not have secrets. If you gossip somebody to them, they end up telling the person that you said so, so, and so. Therefore the new UN secretary general may have told the press precisely why Mrs. Iweala was eventually not appointed.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by lewa(m): 10:47pm On Jan 19, 2007
OBJ is a nuisance, an error, malfeasance foisted on us.Not surprised though!Characteristic trademark of the peasant!
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by McKren(m): 11:43pm On Jan 19, 2007
That is the major downside of the man called OBJ.
I will not be suprised if this is true cos the man takes his vindictiveness to all levels, however that attitude is likely to help us break free from the old brigade and thus its helpful sometimes.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by Afam(m): 9:46am On Jan 20, 2007
Interesting post.

Can anyone answer this question - Did Okonjo Iweala record any positive achievements while she was the Finance Minister in Nigeria that would warrant her to be considered for the UN VP position?
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by sbucareer(f): 10:11am On Jan 20, 2007

Are you not sure that this is another babylon strategy to provoke state of panic to the running up of the April general election. This is coperatetoracy and ways for WTO, G8 and CIA franchised media to bring down the Africa most populous and intelligent nation down.

Well, Babylon is in desperate moves since the invasion of Iraq, Afgan and international rhetoric with Iran, bossing every nation in total dominance. Naturally, media around the world are known for writing personal opinion, sentiments about the state and affair of people and nations. Since media are owned by private individuals who may or may not have the interest of their country for a financial handed-outs from the Babylon to further achieve their political ambitions in Africa and around the world.

Dr Nogozi, should run for the office of the presidency IMHO. She would give her rivals a run for their ill-gotten money. Since population always stipulates that females are more to their male status. I for example would give her my vote and I believe many men would. Not because she is from some geo-political region, but for her scrupulous contribution to the Nigeria banking sector.

Babylon will suffer for all the crimes they are committing today, God if you exit rain down your judgement we need it now and forever anon, Amen.

Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by olaak1(m): 12:14pm On Jan 20, 2007
where do they get thier fact from you see all these hungry jounalist shd be checked angry
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by chidichris(m): 12:52pm On Jan 20, 2007
according to thisday january 19 as was reported by an Australian newspaper(theaustralian.news.com.au) Obasanjo's refusal to give his signatory at the dying minutes forced the new secretary general to go for the next available option.

the new sec. gen promised to make an african woman his no 2 and Okonjo Iweala was the favourite but time was running out as the wait for the presidency's approval continues hence the option b which sees the less experienced Tanzanian woman as a replacement.

why will obj do such a thing? third term? or, ?
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by adconline(m): 5:47pm On Jan 20, 2007
Afam@ What's your parameter for positive achievement or your definition of positive achievement?
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by Afam(m): 6:07pm On Jan 20, 2007
@adconline,

I needed to draw out the bias and unnecessary sentiments people base their arguements on.

I cannot understand how someone will shower praises for Okonjo Iweala for doing very well while she was the Finance Minister on one hand and yet say that the present government failed in every sector.

Each time you ask people (who hold such views) to reconcile the irreconcilable statements they begin to stammer.

It seems a lot of people will do or say anything to paint someone black if they don't like the person even if the person has done good things or praise someone to high heavens if they like the person regardless of the person's failures.

Personally, if OBJ is being held responsible for any failed policies of this government then it makes perfect sense to also give him credit for any successful policy.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by adconline(m): 6:33pm On Jan 20, 2007
this argument is about Okojo Iweala's performance as a minister of finance not OBJ . OBJ is judged as an overall overseer of all ministries. Would you hug your kid who got an "A" in English and got "F's" in other 8 subjects. Acceptable benchmark of performance is at least 50%, would you say that OBJ has performed up to this level? Remember that nobody asked OBJ to take this job, that's why he does not have my sympathy,because Iweala resigned when she was not getting her way.

Nigerians are nicest people ever, compare OBJ's likeness with Adams Oshiomole, Most people like Adams irrespective of their backgrounds. People dont dislike OBJ they dislike his policies that dont have human face. very many people were happy that he came on board in 1999, but he took over and squandered that political capital.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by Afam(m): 6:58pm On Jan 20, 2007
You cannot discuss this thread without OBJ, even the title basically is about OBJ blocking Iweala's opportunity.

My concern is about people that maintain that OBJ did not do anything positive but will easily shower praises on Iweala who was part of the government unless they are showing her for some private business.

I will rate OBJ over 50% anyday by the way.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by adconline(m): 7:23pm On Jan 20, 2007
any filling station queues around your area? Or where did you get petrol this morning
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by sbucareer(f): 10:58pm On Jan 20, 2007

@Afam

You disappoint me. I read your post with great anticipation and mutate your arguments in my conversation with other peps. Ministers in either a parliamentary or presidency system of government are employed by their party leader.

The party leader (President/Prime Minister) hold the power to appoint or sack any minister. In retrospect, they work for the party leader. If a minister do not like what his leader is doing they can easily resign (That is what Dr Ngozi did). This is not the first time she has resigned. His Excellency President OBJ once write a personal letter of apology to her, when she was first appointed and the President knew little about her.

It is in our constitutional law of 1999 that the VP, ministers and all the Secretariat workers work for the office of the president. Even the police, army, marine and the air force are all under the office of the president.

I don't fully understand the judiciary and the national assembly where their power limits. I said this because they seem to object every move OBJ does to VP, Atiku.

Dr Ngozi in my view has helped the banking section and many other departments task under her command. I will not enumerate all her achievements. If you are interested you can buy her biography and read. If you really want to know what she can do give her your mandate for the presidential ticket and see how that country would change.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by Afam(m): 12:43pm On Jan 22, 2007
sbucareer:

@Afam

You disappoint me. I read your post with great anticipation and mutate your arguments in my conversation with other peps. Ministers in either a parliamentary or presidency system of government are employed their party leader.

That I did not meet your expectation does not make my views wrong and I will show you why in my response to the next quote.

sbucareer:

Dr Ngozi in my view has helped the banking section and many other departments task under her command. I will not enumerate all her achievements. If you are interested you can buy her biography and read. If you really want to know what she can do give her your mandate for the presidential ticket and see how that country would change.

Put differently, Iweala did well, not so? If you agree that she did well then what naturally follows is that the present government can as well be given credit for any achievements she may have recorded.

Maybe you failed to understand my post, you should have asked me to clarify rather than assuming wrongly.

I never stated nor remotely implied that Iweala did not do anything good. In fact, my post was using her records or achievements to point out the bias in the way people rate others based on whether they like the person or not.

Can anyone praise Iweala and still maintain that the present government did nothing right? This question is the crux of my comments, nothing more, nothing less.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by McKren(m): 12:10am On Jan 23, 2007
Truth
Suggesting that Iweala is a success and yet a government she is an integral part of is a collosal failure is both illogical and unfair.

Iweala did well and I like her, OBJ's government failed in some aspect but has done its bit too.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by adconline(m): 5:53am On Jan 23, 2007
Afam,
I wonder what was you benchmark in measuring OBJ's performance. He performed above 50% in these underlisted ministries? Then Naija is now small London. 50% of Nigerians now have electricity or that all Nigerians have at least 12-hour electricity every day. Our industries are now performing at 50% capacity or more, even though Michelin is winding up operations in Nigeria. That OBJ has performed above 50% in Aviation that had about five plane crashes? That OBJ has performed 50% in health that his wife had to die in Spain. 50% of federal roads Nigeria are pot holes free and motorable. That 50% of nigerians can trust the Police with their lives. That OBJ's government has adhered to Supreme Court's rulings that were/are unfavourable to his policies?
I am not Chike Obi, but 50% is his overall performace in all these ministries not on finance and IT. I rest my case

Agriculture & Rural Development

Aviation

Commerce

Communications

Co-operation and Integration in Africa

Defence

Education

Employment, Labour & Productivity

Environment

Finance

Foreign Affairs

Health

Housing and Urban Development

Industry

Information and National Orientation

Inter-governmental Affairs and Youth Development

Internal Affairs

Justice

Petroleum Resources

Police Affairs

Power and Steel

Science and Technology

Solid Minerals Development.

Sports & Social Development.

Tourism and Culture

Transport

Water Resources And Rural Development

Women Affairs

Works
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by chidichris(m): 9:25am On Jan 23, 2007
thisday newspaper of 19th january reported this issue quoting an australian based newspaper(theaustralian.news.com.au).
in every democratic setting, oposition is recognised. from political science one will know and confirm that the oposition acts as a watch dog on the ruling party.
it is not only in nigeria, it is there in the usa and that is why power keeps on changing from one party to the other.
if we are coming to judge obasanjo, we will use a report sheet which will cover every aspect of the country and one will be sure to mark him down if he scores anything below 40%.
we have different sectors like banking, security, infrastructures, petrolium, workers affairs, corruptions, organisations of elections, freedom of oposition and press, sports just to mention but a few.
if one judges badsed on the few outlined headings, where will the administration be. how many illegal impeachments? how many judicairy orders have been adhered to?
it takes nothing for one to believe that Okonjo Iweala was favoured by many and the shock annoucement of the tanzanian woman forced people to ggo into search of reasons.
it is obvious here that, things are not well between iweala and obj and this is clear from how she was changed from the finance minister and the unannouced detronement from the leader of the economic/reforms team.
if we all agree that she was doing well in the finance ministry, why then the change? who changes winning team? will it be funny if one says that obj wanted more in the sector that he decided to look for a better candidate for the position.
Iweala, was recommended to OBj bby Atiku when the going was good and it was said that Iweala in one of her trips to London did mention it that Atiku will surely continue with the reforms of Obj if elected president.
we are not too blind to know that if iweala wanted atiku to succeed obj, it means she did not surport the third term agenda and has to pay like others.
to avoid the nigerian context here and our much hatred for our saviour obasanjo let us contact foriegn news medias on the selection of the last UN vp.
he is a saint and that is while he is parading secred cows at diffeerent levels in the name of political godfathers or the untouchable pdp member and is good that inec machines are beging to exist in private houses.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by DeepSoul(f): 6:17pm On Jan 23, 2007
Some pple are beginning to miss the point of this thread. Her performance as minister isnt exactly the issue here.

Did Obj refuse to endorse her for the position or not? Some say it's just speculations and go ahead to trash Nigerian media. We may not know how true it really is since the Presidency has denied it. (Dont they always do!)

But at the end of the day, Okonjo Iweala was the most suitable person for the job amongst other nominees. It was almost certain she was going to get it but at the last minute, it was given to someone not as suitable as she is. Doesnt that just ring a bell?

What manner of selfishness?!
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by buluti(m): 8:25pm On Jan 23, 2007
OBJ's performance as a president is clearly far far below expectation and using Okonjo Iweala's performance a yard stick to measure the government is so so inaccurate and misleading. The reason why she could record a glimpse of success was her stand that OBJ would give her a free hand and not unnecessarily get involved in the affairs of the ministry. Therein was her fault and he is trying to punish her for it. In addition her clout in the international finance community contributed so much to the so called "debt forgiveness"

I totally disagree with those that say they cannot correlate how the ministry of Finance could have done well and the country performing in the opposite direction. The ministry of Finance is really just the purse and the modalities on spending, all Okonjo did was to request for proper procedures and adherance to due process. Please note she is handed a list to disburse to, she doesnt determine who the funds are disbursed to. She doesn't monitor or hold to account anyone on how funds have been spent, all she did was to make sure there are no frivolous papers hanging around without proper approvals, get your approval before disbursement.

In the few months she was in Foreign affairs things had started to change for the first time ever, Nigerians were evacuated in a time of war (Lebanon) and she was requesting for due process in handing our embassies around the world, on how funds are disbursed and used in the embassies which was now her jurisdiction, but OBJ sensed there would be problem, he couldnt afford to give her a free hand again, it would be too expensive.

Its quite disturbing to hear Nigerians say becos Finance was run properly Nigeria was run properly, its really quite distrubing.

But as deepsoul has clearly stated the performance of the govt and Okonjo Iweala is not the topic of this thread. The issue is why would OBJ let personal differences cloud his reasoning. He is a suppose to be a leade. My question can he be trusted to act in the interest of Nigeria and defend Nigeria and its citizens?? Has he been acting in Nigeria's interest for the past 7 years (Bakassi) or is it all an egoistic and personal agenda??

For those asking for a written affidavit or sworn declaration from the govt as proof, please go on, the fact remains there was an anomally. It wasnt the Nigerian media that investigated the issue, it was the foreign media (at least they understand the role of the media), they sensed that somethin had gone wrong and went ahead to investigate.

The question i pose to all is what are the responsibilities of the media?? When things go wrong or appear wrong, should they fold their hands and take the govt's position or should they investigate, and report their findings for all to decide on their own, and make changes when necessary which is usually the next election,
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by TerraCotta(m): 8:50pm On Jan 23, 2007
Afam:

@adconline,

I needed to draw out the bias and unnecessary sentiments people base their arguements on.

I cannot understand how someone will shower praises for Okonjo Iweala for doing very well while she was the Finance Minister on one hand and yet say that the present government failed in every sector.

Each time you ask people (who hold such views) to reconcile the irreconcilable statements they begin to stammer.

It seems a lot of people will do or say anything to paint someone black if they don't like the person even if the person has done good things or praise someone to high heavens if they like the person regardless of the person's failures.

Personally, if OBJ is being held responsible for any failed policies of this government then it makes perfect sense to also give him credit for any successful policy.

Afam--so many Nigerians are driven by irrational logic that they miss the basic truth of your statement. The last sentence is especially relevant. These reports haven't even convincingly established that Okonjo-Iweala was seriously considered for the job, in my view. There's also this weird idea that Okonjo-Iweala resigned out of disagreement with Obasanjo--it might comfort some people, but there's simply no proof to back it up. She's been interviewed by the BBC since and had nothing but gracious words to say about him. Then it comes out that her husband was being blackmailed for sleeping with his ex-mistress around the time that she left the job. Coincidence?

I don't know why it's so hard for some of us to be impartial--OBJ is no saint, and he's definitely made mistakes, but there's no reason to believe he's plotting to ruin a woman he hired and brought to national/global prominence in the first place.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by McKren(m): 9:03pm On Jan 23, 2007
I don't know why it's so hard for some of us to be impartial--OBJ is no saint, and he's definitely made mistakes, but there's no reason to believe he's plotting to ruin a woman he hired and brought to national/global prominence in the first place.

Okonjo Iweala was vice president of world bank before she came to Naija so dont understand what you mean by OBJ bringing her to global prominence.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by TerraCotta(m): 10:04pm On Jan 23, 2007
McKren:

Okonjo Iweala was vice president of world bank before she came to Naija so don't understand what you mean by OBJ bringing her to global prominence.

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. Tell me--do you think Okonjo Iweala's vice presidential role at the World Bank would have put her in line to be considered for VP of the UN without her tenure as Finance minister? Perhaps more pertinently, do you think being appointed finance minister for Africa's most populous nation helped or hurt her visibility and chances at getting that kind of job offer? And can you truly tell me that you (or the majority of people posting in this discussion) knew of her spectacular background and achievements before her appointment by OBJ? I'll wait for your answer before going on.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by McKren(m): 10:34pm On Jan 23, 2007
Sincerely I did not know Okonjo Iweala before her appointment as Finance minister, but that has nothing to do with her status at the time but everything to do with my lack of awareness. But suggesting that a Havard PhD holder and vice president of World Bank is not internationally recognised because some of us did not know her is not very accurate. If she was not internationally recognised OBJ will not have gone to drag her down here somehow even to the extent of agreeing contract terms that are meant for expatriates. Nenadi Usman the present finance minister will not walk out of her job today and walk into a job with the world bank just like that. The woman had a reputation and intenational recognition before she came to naija and if you are fair you will agree with me.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by TerraCotta(m): 11:15pm On Jan 23, 2007
Small point of correction--her PhD's from M.I.T. and there are hundreds that hold the same degree that are not "internationally recognized" in their field. I think Okonjo-Iweala's a remarkable woman, especially with her story of her family's struggle during Biafra and her success in her field, but it's unlikely that any Australian newspaper would be talking about her as a UN VP candidate if not for her time as finance minister. My only quibble with this discussion is the irrational Obasanjo hatred. Better to criticize the man for his real failures than to pin every conspiracy theory on him. Those that said she quit because he forced her out etc. have nothing to say about the revelation of her husband's affair/blackmail, for instance. I distinctly remember her saying that she was leaving to "take care of pressing family issues" or something. All the sophists insisted that it had to do with cabinet reshuffles and tensions between her and OBJ. I don't sincerely know either way what caused her resignation, but I do know that an FBI investigation of some cheap floozy trying to hustle your husband is a more likely cause of her stepping down, and perhaps even not getting this UN position.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by buluti(m): 2:43am On Jan 24, 2007
TerraCotta:

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. Tell me--do you think Okonjo Iweala's vice presidential role at the World Bank would have put her in line to be considered for VP of the UN without her tenure as Finance minister?

The quote above seems to be at variance with your earlier conclusion below.

TerraCotta:

These reports haven't even convincingly established that Okonjo-Iweala was seriously considered for the job, in my view.

Then you go ahead to site the Australian newspaper stating her as a remarkable woman.

TerraCotta:

I think Okonjo-Iweala's a remarkable woman, especially with her story of her family's struggle during Biafra and her success in her field, but it's unlikely that any Australian newspaper would be talking about her as a UN VP candidate if not for her time as finance minister. My only quibble with this discussion is the irrational Obasanjo hatred. Better to criticize the man for his real failures than to pin every conspiracy theory on him.

There seems to be an "irrational logic" somewhere.

No one is pinning anything on OBJ, just like no ones pinning the killing of Princess Diana on the MI5 or MI6, but an inquiry has been set up and without a jury.
Re: Reports Suggest Obj Blocked Okonjo-iweala As Un Vp. by Mamajama(m): 3:21am On Jan 24, 2007
Has any one thought of the fact maybe she relinquished the post to pay more attention to her wondering husband?

why must it be OBJ. what if she want to work on saving her marriage and spend more time with her family? this is why I find it hard to trust Nigerian

journalist. they feed the public fictitious stories with no credibility.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Versus Cnn / 7 Year Old Boy Kidnapped In Benin / Nengi Josef Ilagha, Amanyanabo Of Nembe Writes Queen Elizabeth Ii On Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.