Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,850 members, 7,806,399 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? (2635 Views)

Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? / Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? / Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by hamsfat: 4:44pm On Dec 15, 2009
I want this forum to contribute to this topic 'How aesthetic is Nollywood in the use of proverbs? ' Does Nollywood use proverbs at all?To what extent?Are used proverbs in consonance with the plot, the theme, of the movie?It is a research work,pls contribute.Thanks.
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by perfectmen: 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2009
i wanna be an actor ok
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by NiceHans: 7:18am On Dec 16, 2009
hamsfat:

I want this forum to contribute to this topic 'How aesthetic is Nollywood in the use of proverbs? ' Does Nollywood use proverbs at all?To what extent?Are used proverbs in consonance with the plot, the theme, of the movie?It is a research work,pls contribute.Thanks.
answer to your first question:dismal. 2nd rarely. 3rd little extent. 4th they do not even use the english language well not to talk of proverbs but in their native films(igbo and yoruba) they excel in the use of proverbs.
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by cbjonstage(m): 12:38pm On Dec 16, 2009
NiceHans:

answer to your first question:dismal. 2nd rarely. 3rd little extent. 4th they do not even use the english language well not to talk of proverbs but in their native films(igbo and yoruba) they excel in the use of proverbs.

native films u gat it and also NOTHING MORE OTHER THAN LOVE POEMS + COMPLIMENTS IN ENGRISH FILM grin  cheesy  shocked 
take a questionnaire to find out how many nigeria movie producers aged 50 / 60 / 70 . only when we ve old experienced pple like dis our movie industry will be of international standard
for me i will say, its been encouraged and not appreciated. POINT-BLANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by frgy1: 12:40pm On Dec 16, 2009
wen speaking the native lingo , proverbs are well used. but  in English, they make the mistake of  translating the proverbs from native lingo to English directly, so some end up not making much sense.
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by udennaa: 12:55pm On Dec 16, 2009
NiceHans:

i'll give them 40%
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Dec 16, 2009
shout out to pete edochie, nuff said
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by CarlosVent(m): 1:34pm On Dec 16, 2009
well they are trying but dey really need to improve
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by chelseabmw(m): 1:37pm On Dec 16, 2009
question??
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Dec 16, 2009
[b]Nollywood hasnt changed much from the days of "Glamour Girls"acted by Liz Benson, except for the new introduction of HD celluloids, and improvement in makeups, and plentiful puffery of ketch-ups as fake bloods. I sometimes stare in stunning amazement at what my girlfriend see in Nigerian movies. Besides the dull and lifeless casts, the entire setting is so bland and colorless.
The dialogue is so boring, and everything is outrageously similar, and predictable. Girl falls inlove, he cheats her. Or he's poor, got to know her, and her parents are so stupidly rich and they blew him up, and he ends up banging her best friend. This same shitty story line has been acted and repeated a thousand times, by the same directors. There was a movie my mom made me watch and for about 10 minutes, Jim Iyke was just in a car, driving, and mumuring to himself. It was so disgusting and I just wonder what the hell is happening.
A friend came to me with a movie script they are willing to act, and wants me to help them polish up the dialog, I couldnt read the entire thing, because it was more like going through a typical childs script. The worst is, the entire budget for the movie is just #450,000
I ended declining the job, because I told him bluntly this wont work good. Even if we make the dialogue beautiful, the entire story sucks so bad, it wont show my contribution. I dont know why Nollywood has remain the same like the Nigerian government. Nothing has worked out so far, and the use of proverbs, I believe wont even change a thing.
Nollywood should actually be run as solidly as conglomerate. And they should work hand in hand with Alaba if they are really sincere about tackling piracy. Hollywood I learn work in house with every movie distributors, and they have systems in place that makes their work more meaningful.[/b]
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by bisiaet: 3:09pm On Dec 16, 2009
No issue
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by THEAMAKA1: 3:16pm On Dec 16, 2009
what kind of topic is this? lol
its just a movie. . .
but there are a lot of village movies (usually ones that the "setting" is in the oldern days) where they do use a lot of proverbs.
Pete Edochie is good at them, i know that much.
ive seen so many of his movies and he just spits all his proverbs really well. lol
but anyway, its usually the village movies that are set back in the day, that use good proverbs.
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by MUZBO(m): 3:20pm On Dec 16, 2009
Hate our local movies but I actually watch Yoruba movies mainly to learn Yoruba proverbs and I've never been disappointed.
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by afrikaam(m): 4:29pm On Dec 16, 2009
We really need to give Nollywood a break. Its creating more jobs than the 'federal govt' and others. RE: Proverbs. there is always something lost in translation when they are used out of context, Nollywood has yet to quite figure that one out yet.

Chuks
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by gshyne(m): 5:05pm On Dec 16, 2009
@ poster
get in touch with Baba Suwe hope he's still alive. Dunno wat makes nollywood tho so not sure he's classed as a nollywood actor.  undecided
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by Mekana(m): 6:24pm On Dec 16, 2009
aasog:

[b]Nollywood hasnt changed much from the days of "Glamour Girls"acted by Liz Benson, except for the new introduction of HD celluloids, and improvement in makeups, and plentiful puffery of ketch-ups as fake bloods. I sometimes stare in stunning amazement at what my girlfriend see in Nigerian movies. Besides the dull and lifeless casts, the entire setting is so bland and colorless.
The dialogue is so boring, and everything is outrageously similar, and predictable. Girl falls inlove, he cheats her. Or he's poor, got to know her, and her parents are so stupidly rich and they blew him up, and he ends up her best friend. This same shitty story line has been acted and repeated a thousand times, by the same directors. There was a movie my mom made me watch and for about 10 minutes, Jim Iyke was just in a car, driving, and mumuring to himself. It was so disgusting and I just wonder what the hell is happening.
A friend came to me with a movie script they are willing to act, and wants me to help them polish up the dialog, I couldnt read the entire thing, because it was more like going through a typical childs script. The worst is, the entire budget for the movie is just #450,000
I ended declining the job, because I told him bluntly this wont work good. Even if we make the dialogue beautiful, the entire story sucks so bad, it wont show my contribution. I dont know why Nollywood has remain the same like the Nigerian government. Nothing has worked out so far, and the use of proverbs, I believe wont even change a thing.
Nollywood should actually be run as solidly as conglomerate. And they should work hand in hand with Alaba if they are really sincere about tackling piracy. Hollywood I learn work in house with every movie distributors, and they have systems in place that makes their work more meaningful.[/b]
al
More grease to your elbow buddy. There hasn't been improvement since the mid 1990s, they are still acting dramas and plays, They need to step up the game. Not necessarily by adding more shootings and killings, but by being more professional in their actings. The actors seem to play their roles by over acting or under acting. Some ppl are quick to point out that "we are still growing" lol. Are u gonna grow for ever? Professionl acting doesn't  need equipment, it need good etiquette and habbit. Also, the storylines are boringly the same. They need to be more adventurous and innovative in going beyond  well know flat stories of miraacles, marriage problems and babalawos etc. The diction also needs to be worked on. Most Nigerian actors speak written English and not spoken English, spoken english is more fluent, fluid and  romantically salacious.
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by yme1(f): 6:26pm On Dec 16, 2009
they do use proverbs undecided
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by s4: 6:36pm On Dec 16, 2009
Ho can they use proverbs when most of them engaage themselfs in flaboyant english speaking from school to home, and even on the road.

Nolly wood, does not use proverbs at all, the ones you hear are either said by Baba Faleti, Lere Payimo, and of the young actors Saheed Osupa.

I invite them to learn from my forum - Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee" - on Nairaland(Culture).

so that we all leave a lasting legacy to our children
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by willyspace(m): 4:57am On Dec 17, 2009
I better poor sand into uncooked rice, mix them together,start separating them than to watch a Nollywood movie. So monotonous,sleepy scenes, same casts,very predictable,no intrigues,full of mistakes,the list is endless. Obviously, the Nigerian music industry has outclassed them. They should take a cue from those guys.
Re: How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? by ayobase(m): 12:50pm On Dec 17, 2009
NOLLYWOOD?
Hmmmmmmm!

(1) (Reply)

Nollywood War : Actress Oge Okoye Versus Chioma Toplis / Omotola's Explicit Scenes In Movie 'alter Ego' / The Ini Edo Experience 4 Ini's Fan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.