Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:31 AM

Two Opposing Sides Comitting Same Fallacy - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Two Opposing Sides Comitting Same Fallacy (433 Views)

What Seemingly Opposing Charateristics Do You Want In A Lover (life/movies) / When Your Man Always Sides With His Family. / Who Will You Take Sides With, Me Or My Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Opposing Sides Comitting Same Fallacy by bukatyne(f): 2:53pm On Mar 07, 2017
This was an extract of a comment by a moniker named Cletus from a blog called 'The Federalist' on a topic:

A long time ago I knew a "power" couple". He was an engineer and she was self employed. Both were driven self starters, both made lots of money, both were very intelligent, and both were extremely miserable. They fought all the time, they found no peace, their kids were emotional messes, and they were headed for divorce. While they largely blamed each other for so much, they were also blaming everything and everyone in the world for there was no justice or fairness anywhere. It became so bad that their job performance started to suffer.
>
They finally went to a Christian counselor and after a year or so of arguing, finger pointing, and failure, the counselor convinced then to try something new. He got them to understand that men and women are fundamentally different. While everyone is individually different, men tend to do better as the provider and decision makers because they can divorce emotion from their decisions to make them better. Men also tend to be better disciplinarians, but are often terrible at nurturing and many other issues important to satisfying the emotional needs of children. Women, on the other hand, typically were far better at teaching and nurturing, running a household, raising kids and so forth, but they were weaker in making difficult decisions and dealing with being a provider.
>
What the counselor accomplished was to get them to realize that where women are weak, men are strong, and where men are weak, women are strong. By refusing to acknowledge these fundamental differences, they were working at cross purposes and failing so he convinced them to try adopting a more traditional role of married couples. She stayed at home to take care of the kids and the home front while he went to work and took care of the big picture stuff. She was encouraged to stop question all of his decisions and he was encouraged to stop interfering with the running of the house and child rearing. For the first 4-6 weeks, things got worse and then, suddenly, things changed. She discovered that she actually liked her new role and once she stopped second guessing and arguing every decision her husband made, their relationship blossomed. He, likewise, became less defensive, less angry, and more trusting in how she ran the house and nurtured the kids. Today they are a strong and very happy couple with healthy kids. Now they deeply love and respect each other.

I decided to bring this here because I have observed that while anti-feminists (right wingers) disparate modern feminists (left wingers) for telling women that their worth is tied to work/earning, they are equally doing same: Telling women not to work, stay home fully, work part time bla bla.

Neither party seems to understand the place of women who actually want to work/earn/build careers. The comment above perfectly illustrates this.... what if the woman still wanted to work? Was the consellor assuming all wives want to stay at home?
Re: Two Opposing Sides Comitting Same Fallacy by firstking01(m): 3:17pm On Mar 07, 2017
Seems this sun no reach your side sad
Re: Two Opposing Sides Comitting Same Fallacy by bukatyne(f): 3:40pm On Mar 07, 2017
firstking01:
Seems this sun no reach your side sad
Which sun my brother?

My side of Lagos is cold.
Re: Two Opposing Sides Comitting Same Fallacy by Nobody: 12:49am On Mar 08, 2017
Women should find work for their hands, but they should make sure that their priority is their home. If it so happens that they have to choose between their home and work, then the decision shouldn't be so difficult. Home comes first.

(1) (Reply)

Does A Law On Human Attraction Exist? / Photos: Strange! As River Of Fire Developed From Mount Etna / Keeping Your Home Peaceful Series

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.