Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

Demographics Of Kogi State - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Demographics Of Kogi State (10786 Views)

Ehinoyi Of Ebira Palace: Okene King's Palace In Kogi State (Pictures) / Two Masquerades Pictured Riding By On A Motorcycle In Kogi State / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by YonkijiSappo: 5:04pm On Mar 27, 2017
9jakool:

No need to get overworked with what I said. Maybe the word "sibling" isn't the right word. I'm just noting obvious similarities. OK?

I wonder.
That guy always has a way of turning every thread over on its head with unfounded claims.
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Olu317(m): 8:02pm On Mar 27, 2017
Some people get angry over truth but it is OK. In life people tends to learn via the easy way or the hard way. If people were wise enough, eyes would have seen the unthinkable and ears would have heard unimaginable. There are folklore. There are myth. There are evidence. And Yoruba have a story likewise every other groups in the world. If you are angry because I know my ethnicity( YORUBA); I AM SORRY FOR YOU!
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Probz(m): 2:40am On Apr 10, 2017
Olu317:
Some people get angry over truth but it is OK. In life people tends to learn via the easy way or the hard way. If people were wise enough, eyes would have seen the unthinkable and ears would have heard unimaginable. There are folklore. There are myth. There are evidence. And Yoruba have a story likewise every other groups in the world. If you are angry because I know my ethnicity( YORUBA); I AM SORRY FOR YOU!
No need for caps. Calm down.
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Olu317(m): 6:04am On Apr 10, 2017
Probz:
No need for caps. Calm down.
Of course yes, you are right. But I want it to be very conspicuous because of many haters.
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by cheruv: 5:29pm On Apr 10, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I've always concurred with this. This is an area that further linguistic studies need to be performed on. Standard Igbo has 36 letters of the alphabet and this is only for 'light' dialects like Onitsha, Enuani etc. Complex Igbo dialects like Ngwa, Ikwerre, Abiriba etc. have way more letters in their speech form, for example 'wh' (owho/ofo), 'nh' (inhe/ife) etc.) that could be up to 40 or 45 as the case may be.

Exactly...
Am thinking of starting a project that'd see Igbo alphabets expanded to 40 with the inclusion of three more consonants and a vowel.
The vowel is what I'd call "æ" which is a sound like e but it works like a and its found in borderline dialects like ika, izii, ekpeye, abiriba etc.
The other consonants are ts, pf and bv which are found in Eastern Igbo dialects like izii and isobo.
On the contrary, I think s and sh should be merged because I've noticed that in any given dialect,one form is usually prevalent. Maybe we can find a letter that'd cover the two sounds so that speakers can alternate without qualms

1 Like

Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Probz(m): 6:38pm On Apr 10, 2017
cheruv:

Exactly...
Am thinking of starting a project that'd see Igbo alphabets expanded to 40 with the inclusion of three more consonants and a vowel.
The vowel is what I'd call "æ" which is a sound like e but it works like a and its found in borderline dialects like ika, izii, ekpeye, abiriba etc.
The other consonants are ts, pf and bv which are found in Eastern Igbo dialects like izii and isobo.
On the contrary, I think s and sh should be merged because I've noticed that in any given dialect,one form is usually prevalent. Maybe we can find a letter that'd cover the two sounds so that speakers can alternate without qualms

Ekpeye's a standalone Igboid language. It's to us what Igala is to Yoruba.
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by cheruv: 8:28pm On Apr 10, 2017
Probz:

Igala language is officially classed as Yoruboid. That's what their language is defined as and this shakara you're doing on this thread doesn't change that.
You're trying very hard in being nice to that Igbo stalker...he's not worth the ache undecided

2 Likes

Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Probz(m): 2:00am On Apr 13, 2017
cheruv:

You're trying very hard in being nice to that Igbo stalker...he's not worth the ache undecided
I figured. Don't mind him.

1 Like

Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Revolva(m): 12:56am On Apr 24, 2017
YourNemesis:

Igala is like an old Yoruba substrate speech that has received lots of infusions from "strange" (so to speak) languages from Jukun to Idoma to Igbo (In the southern extremities like Ibaji. With all these additions, it has somewhat morphed into something else.
some consonants seem to have also mutatedd in Igala and deviated from what seem their original form.

i.e R to L, J to BI, N to L
For example

Eje (Seven) = Ebie
Aja (Dog) = Abia
Ori (Head) = Oji
Ale {Night) = Ane
Enu, Arun (Mouth) = Elu/Alu
Akere (Frog) = Akele
Orun (Sun) = Olu
E.tc

Yoruba and Igala languages are like/akin to Igbo and Ekpeye (I hope I am right)
Short speeches are more understandable to speakers of both than longer discussions.

I.e

I am Hungry
Yoruba: Ebi n kpa mi
Igala: Ebi a kpa mi

Come and let's catch Fish:
Yoruba: Wa ka kpa Eja
Igala: Wa ka kpa Eja

Let us bring / pull ourselves together, and stay together.
Igala: Je kafola wa mola, kajo kpai ola wa
Yoruba: Je Kafara wa mora, kajo kpelu ara wa

God, Give/bring me a child
Olorun, Gb'omo fun mi
Ojo, Gb'oma du mi

Listen to me, I am eating three black Bananas (unripe) with yams tomorrow.
T'eti gbo mi, Maa je ogede dudu meta kpelu Isu ni ola
N'eti gbo mi, Naa je ogede dudu meta kpai utsu ni ona.

Give the watch onyour hand to me
Mu ago owo e fun mi
Mu ago owo e du mi

Overall, I can get the general "hint" of what an igala person is saying, but nothing concrete.

perfect bro i am an igala inact you spoke it well...igala is Yoruba...truly...that is my dialect u even wrote it perfect

laudate:

Igala people speak Yoruba?? shocked You have started with this your language-fishing expeditions, again. Last time, you were on a thread claiming that Ika people are Igbo or something. The argument about the Igbo, Igboiid and Edo origins of the Ika, has not yet been settled on that thread.

The dust you generated there, is still rising even as we speak. Now you have started with this your 'Igala vs Yoruba/Yoruboid languages' theory...may God deliver you from causing confusion. sad

bro calm down ok he is correct ok igala language have element of yoruba in them........

2 Likes

Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Revolva(m): 1:01am On Apr 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Exactly, you are doing the same thing I mentioned earlier by inciting unnecessary troubles here. Sound like something is NOT the same as TO BE something. That Igala sounds like Yoruba does NOT mean it IS Yoruba. Of course, it is common knowledge that Igalas do not want to be called Yorubas and nobody is saying nor implying that here. It is often Yorubas that I see trying to claim Igalas. Therefore sounding like Yoruba does not mean it is Yoruba. Sometimes I wonder the level of English apprehension of many of our so-called graduates.

bro you dont know what you are talking how can Yoruba claim to be Igala...LMFAO u r lame....never....happens....infact igalas staying in lagos where yoruba is largely spoken can claim to be yoruba...ok....never will any yoruba claim to be igala..ok..even yoruba indigines in Kogi can never claim to be Igala ok ..learn and stop arguing

laudate:

Guy, you lot are well known for dictating to people who they should be, what ancestry they should claim and even what language they should speak, or what their languages sound like. sad You and your clique have done so, on different threads. Why can't you just allow people to decide for themselves what they truly are or what they want to be? shocked Why can't you let them declare categorically what their language sounds like? Must you decide for them? can you see how you chaps just like causing confusion and trouble?

Like I said before let the Igala indigenes come in here, and say categorically what their language sounds like or not! sad To the best of my knowledge, I have NOT seen a yoruba community or group claiming that the Igalas are Yoruba, or trying to force a Yoruba identity upon them. They have not even claimed the Itsekiris as part of the Yoruba community. They respect their differences. It is only you and your people that like dragging other ethnic groups along with you. Chai!! shocked

i am an Igala here and i have cleared this argument...ok Igala language is Yorubaiod factfully...100%

1 Like

Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 2:03am On Apr 24, 2017
Revolva:

bro you dont know what you are talking how can Yoruba claim to be Igala...LMFAO u r lame....never....happens....infact igalas staying in lagos where yoruba is largely spoken can claim to be yoruba...ok....never will any yoruba claim to be igala..ok..even yoruba indigines in Kogi can never claim to be Igala ok ..learn and stop arguing

i am an Igala here and i have cleared this argument...ok Igala language is Yorubaiod factfully...100%

It's clear you didn't even understand my post to begin with. Read it again and get back to me.
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Probz(m): 1:16pm On Apr 24, 2017
Revolva:

perfect bro i am an igala inact you spoke it well...igala is Yoruba...truly...that is my dialect u even wrote it perfect

bro calm down ok he is correct ok igala language have element of yoruba in them........

Don't mind that nigga.
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by oyatz(m): 10:53pm On Jul 15, 2021
YourNemesis:

Igala is like an old Yoruba substrate speech that has received lots of infusions from "strange" (so to speak) languages from Jukun to Idoma to Igbo (In the southern extremities like Ibaji. With all these additions, it has somewhat morphed into something else.
some consonants seem to have also mutatedd in Igala and deviated from what seem their original form.

i.e R to L, J to BI, N to L
For example

Eje (Seven) = Ebie
Aja (Dog) = Abia
Ori (Head) = Oji
Ale {Night) = Ane
Enu, Arun (Mouth) = Elu/Alu
Akere (Frog) = Akele
Orun (Sun) = Olu
E.tc

Yoruba and Igala languages are like/akin to Igbo and Ekpeye (I hope I am right)
Short speeches are more understandable to speakers of both than longer discussions.

I.e

I am Hungry
Yoruba: Ebi n kpa mi
Igala: Ebi a kpa mi

Come and let's catch Fish:
Yoruba: Wa ka kpa Eja
Igala: Wa ka kpa Eja

Let us bring / pull ourselves together, and stay together.
Igala: Je kafola wa mola, kajo kpai ola wa
Yoruba: Je Kafara wa mora, kajo kpelu ara wa

God, Give/bring me a child
Olorun, Gb'omo fun mi
Ojo, Gb'oma du mi

Listen to me, I am eating three black Bananas (unripe) with yams tomorrow.
T'eti gbo mi, Maa je ogede dudu meta kpelu Isu ni ola
N'eti gbo mi, Naa je ogede dudu meta kpai utsu ni ona.

Give the watch onyour hand to me
Mu ago owo e fun mi
Mu ago owo e du mi

Overall, I can get the general "hint" of what an igala person is saying, but nothing concrete.

This is interesting!

Igala farmers arriving in Osun find it very easy to understand what people are saying but they can't easily speak Yoruba language with ease as they understand.

1 Like

Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Probz(m): 3:39am On Oct 02, 2022
Shall we give this thread another go? cool
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Probz(m): 3:50am On Oct 02, 2022
9jakool is one of those posters who I might’ve agreed to disagree with on-occasion but was one of the most refreshingly-impartial sources of wisdom and mutual knowledge/information. I hope he’s still knocking around.
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Ologbo147: 7:37am On Oct 02, 2022
Probz:

The Anioma-Igbo relations have already been discussed to death on one of my threads. Check it out - https://www.nairaland.com/3539543/delta-rivers-igbos

Anioma's just a blanket political term for not just Ukwuanis and Ikas but also Enuanis (Asaba/Igbuzo/Ogwashu-Ukwu environs). The latter are indisputably Igbo and the dialect of Igbo they speak (Enuani) is just like general Onicha Igbo. Ikas and Ukwuanis speak Igboid languages but their culture and dialect's mixed with Bini and so they're still trying to figure out whether they're Igbo, Edo or just plain Delta. I wasn't sure myself until very recently but most people see them as Igbo. The Edo intonation they speak with is what makes their languages sound foreign.

Ikwerres are definitely Igbo and I know for sure that most Rivers Igbo dialects generally are just like the ones you'll hear anywhere in Imo state.
Probs you are too much I thought I was the only one that figured this out. I have noticed this too with eastern yourba especially Owo. I have played some Owo songs, I was shocked at the very ancient Edoid-like tone

1 Like

Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Probz(m): 1:47pm On Oct 02, 2022
Ologbo147:
Probs you are too much I thought I was the only one that figured this out. I have noticed this too with eastern yourba especially Owo. I have played some Owo songs, I was shocked at the very ancient Edoid-like tone

For what it’s worth I think Owo songs are amazing but more to the point I’m definitely aware of how Ondo and Ekiti people are a-little different from more-mainstream Yorubas (in a good way). There’s definitely some sort of Eastern influence between them that history hasn’t fully-documented.

1 Like

Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Olu317(m): 7:43pm On Oct 02, 2022
Probz:

For what it’s worth I think Owo songs are amazing but more to the point I’m definitely aware of how Ondo and Ekiti people are a-little different from more-mainstream Yorubas (in a good way). There’s definitely some sort of Eastern influence between them that history hasn’t fully-documented.
Ọ̀wọ speak ancient Edoid language grin. Revisionism on NL as usual grin grin cheesy. Kaare
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Ologbo147: 7:58pm On Oct 02, 2022
U
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Probz(m): 12:03am On Oct 03, 2022
Olu317:
Ọ̀wọ speak ancient Edoid language grin. Revisionism on NL as usual grin grin cheesy. Kaare

Yeah, go on. Shoot me.
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Olu317(m): 6:21am On Oct 03, 2022
Probz:

Yeah, go on. Shoot me.
Why will I do such thing which barbaric ? Such evil act is genuinely alien to Yorùba even if some elements exist among her Nation who do not possess Ọmọlùabí phenomenon.

Apart from this it is quite funny that you do not like or want to accept the truth because of the manner at which you guys want to forcefully lump up history of Yorùbas and Edoid group without the reality.

Hardly you will see within Edoid group without influence of Yoruùba language . I only wish you people have ifáodù knowledge to realise a lot of reason Yorùba language could find its way to Edoid land.

In 1100AD that Aremitan stole one the crown of the house hold of Òogún and ran because he dreamt of becoming Ooni which was impossible.

Orànmiyàn was sanctioned by Ooni Òogún his father to chase after Aremitan to collect the crown which made Orànmiyàn went to Ọ̀wọ to retrieve the crown but it was in futility.

Where were the Edoid groups in those centuries that their language had influence on Yorùba when the Coptic-Ancient Hebrew language and Arabic language are heavily seen in Yorùba language with more than 5000 miles apart ?

You people can write whatever you like or pleases about our ancestors but the reality is that, what you're writing about Yorùba is the same that even Edoid,Borgu, Ibos,Baruba, Tapa, Ogu-Egu,Hausas etc with Yorùba ancestry will also do.

Contrary to your over zealous storyline,Yorùbas have never denied admixture of theirs but the groups I had mentioned above hid within Yorúba and linked ancestrally without being bothered. Why are you ? Afterall there are millons of White people ancestrally linked to Yorùba aswell. So, it is not new. Overstretching the fact is the falsification and should stop.

When exactly was the year Aremitan descendants had bilateral contact with Edoid groups ?

What year did Oranmiyan engaged the Ogiso dynasty to over turn it to Yorùbas ?

Did Oramiyan spoke Edoid language in his conquest at Usen ?

Are the Usen people Edoid group or Yorubaoid groups ?

What you had no knowledge is the advancement of Yorùba language, cosmology, science, Art, religion , manufacturing, Agriculture, education etc of Yorùba land had always being on export through olífá/onifá before it was exported to Edoid groups.

All the Regalia found among Obá Ado Bini were from Yorùba land which became part of them due to their Yoruba ancestors and admixture which led to the Yoruba fabric in Edo land .

In doubt ? What regalia or fabric are ancestrally of Edo origin before 1200AD ? And go check Yoruba fabric history ....

Stay within truth and if you have no evidence , do not confuse people over well known facts.
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Probz(m): 10:55am On Oct 03, 2022
Olu317:
Why will I do such thing which barbaric ? Such evil act is genuinely alien to Yorùba even if some elements exist among her Nation who do not possess Ọmọlùabí phenomenon.

Apart from this it is quite funny that you do not like or want to accept the truth because of the manner at which you guys want to forcefully lump up history of Yorùbas and Edoid group without the reality.

Hardly you will see within Edoid group without influence of Yoruùba language . I only wish you people have ifáodù knowledge to realise a lot of reason Yorùba language could find its way to Edoid land.

In 1100AD that Aremitan stole one the crown of the house hold of Òogún and ran because he dreamt of becoming Ooni which was impossible.

Orànmiyàn was sanctioned by Ooni Òogún his father to chase after Aremitan to collect the crown which made Orànmiyàn went to Ọ̀wọ to retrieve the crown but it was in futility.

Where were the Edoid groups in those centuries that their language had influence on Yorùba when the Coptic-Ancient Hebrew language and Arabic language are heavily seen in Yorùba language with more than 5000 miles apart ?

You people can write whatever you like or pleases about our ancestors but the reality is that, what you're writing about Yorùba is the same that even Edoid,Borgu, Ibos,Baruba, Tapa, Ogu-Egu,Hausas etc with Yorùba ancestry will also do.

Contrary to your over zealous storyline,Yorùbas have never denied admixture of theirs but the groups I had mentioned above hid within Yorúba and linked ancestrally without being bothered. Why are you ? Afterall there are millons of White people ancestrally linked to Yorùba aswell. So, it is not new. Overstretching the fact is the falsification and should stop.

When exactly was the year Aremitan descendants had bilateral contact with Edoid groups ?

What year did Oranmiyan engaged the Ogiso dynasty to over turn it to Yorùbas ?

Did Oramiyan spoke Edoid language in his conquest at Usen ?

Are the Usen people Edoid group or Yorubaoid groups ?

What you had no knowledge is the advancement of Yorùba language, cosmology, science, Art, religion , manufacturing, Agriculture, education etc of Yorùba land had always being on export through olífá/onifá before it was exported to Edoid groups.

All the Regalia found among Obá Ado Bini were from Yorùba land which became part of them due to their Yoruba ancestors and admixture which led to the Yoruba fabric in Edo land .

In doubt ? What regalia or fabric are ancestrally of Edo origin before 1200AD ? And go check Yoruba fabric history ....

Stay within truth and if you have no evidence , do not confuse people over well known facts.

I’m not sold on the concept of A.S.D. for what it’s conceptualised as in modern times but let’s just say in a parallel-universe you would’ve been diagnosed with Asperger’s as a 6-year-old (your malfunctioning sarcasm-detector is only evidence of that).

Not everything people say on an Internet forum (so long as personal experience/opinions come into play) is intended to be presented before an empirical court of law and that sentiment goes for everything I post unless I say otherwise or the context desperately-requires evidence of-sorts. Otherwise I’m just giving my personal insights into a matter, on-which people are free to either agree or disagree. You disagree and don’t like what I’m saying, fine. Just don’t let that become my problem as well as yours. Your Edoid beef ain’t-nothing to do wi. me. Got it, rain-man?
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Olu317(m): 11:47am On Oct 04, 2022
Probz:

I’m not sold on the concept of A.S.D. for what it’s conceptualised as in modern times but let’s just say in a parallel-universe you would’ve been diagnosed with Asperger’s as a 6-year-old (your malfunctioning sarcasm-detector is only evidence of that).

Not everything people say on an Internet forum (so long as personal experience/opinions come into play) is intended to be presented before an empirical court of law and that sentiment goes for everything I post unless I say otherwise or the context desperately-requires evidence of-sorts. Otherwise I’m just giving my personal insights into a matter, on-which people are free to either agree or disagree. You disagree and don’t like what I’m saying, fine. Just don’t let that become my problem as well as yours. Your Edoid beef ain’t-nothing to do wi. me. Got it, rain-man?
Lol grin grin cheesy I have nothing against Edo people because our ancestors married thousands of Edo women in earlier contact. So know it that Yorubas were maternally and still linked with Edoid, Igboid, Barubas,Tapas,etc

Infact, one of my ancestor in around tale end of 1700s made people followed under his leadership at Ora in Edo as warriors grin cheesy wink with evidence of big Gold chain seized at Bini which is a war booty.

Furthermore omomo masquerade was defeated and taken to a new abode. So, we do not tell false information and we know where we lost and won. Chikena grin

Therefore stop assumption because there is a difference between opinion and fact.This is why such posting on similarities of languages, songs or dresses,traditions etc online should be authentic and not assumption.

Make research so that you will not mislead millions of people.

Cheers
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Probz(m): 6:30pm On Oct 12, 2022
Olu317:
Lol grin grin cheesy I have nothing against Edo people because our ancestors married thousands of Edo women in earlier contact. So know it that Yorubas were maternally and still linked with Edoid, Igboid, Barubas,Tapas,etc

Infact, one of my ancestor in around tale end of 1700s made people followed under his leadership at Ora in Edo as warriors grin cheesy wink with evidence of big Gold chain seized at Bini which is a war booty.

Furthermore omomo masquerade was defeated and taken to a new abode. So, we do not tell false information and we know where we lost and won. Chikena grin

Therefore stop assumption because there is a difference between opinion and fact.This is why such posting on similarities of languages, songs or dresses,traditions etc online should be authentic and not assumption.

Make research so that you will not mislead millions of people.

Cheers

I’ve got Waterloo Road and pasta and stew waiting for me. If you want to argue, make your arguments interesting-enough to take me away from goat meat, plantain and Mika/Brett Aspinall. Otherwise let it go.
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Olu317(m): 8:16pm On Oct 12, 2022
Probz:

I’ve got Waterloo Road and pasta and stew waiting for me. If you want to argue, make your arguments interesting-enough to take me away from goat meat, plantain and Mika/Brett Aspinall. Otherwise let it go.
Absolutely to engage you on.
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Probz(m): 10:26pm On Oct 12, 2022
Olu317:
Absolutely to engage you on.

Righty-o. T.V. date with Izzie Redpath and Patience Ozokwor it is. If you want to have a reasoned discussion, you know where I am.
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by Probz(m): 2:09am On May 09, 2023
oyatz:

This is interesting!

Igala farmers arriving in Osun find it very easy to understand what people are saying but they can't easily speak Yoruba language with ease as they understand.

Now that’s interesting.
Re: Demographics Of Kogi State by laudate: 2:40am On May 18, 2023
Ologbo147:

Some Edo communities and Owo share a border and intermarriages have existed between Edo and Owo for centuries.

Bini/Edo incursion into Owo in the past before colonial times, is well documented and there are even folktales and songs that even bear witness to their battles and skirmishes, which recall the battles they had in the past.

So why is it so strange to see the relationship between these two places??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki / New Olubadan To Be Called Aje Ogungunniso 1 / My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.