Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,269 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble (35869 Views)

Nigerian Doctor Doctor Narrates Trouble They Face To Get Their N40K Salary / How ‘do You Know Who I Am?’ Got An Army Officer And His Wife In Trouble In Abuja / I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by idbami2(m): 6:18pm On Mar 09, 2017
Outshined? Abi outshone?

Whre this my dictionary sef..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Nobody: 6:18pm On Mar 09, 2017
1st law of power warned against this.
Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 09, 2017
As a NIGERIAN THE BOOK 48 LAWS OF POWER isnt applicable to u oooo grin grin grin
Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Michaelpresh(m): 6:25pm On Mar 09, 2017
LET OTHERS DO THE WORK AND YOU TAKE THE CREDITS
Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Diplomaticbeing(m): 6:29pm On Mar 09, 2017
Conceit is God's gift to petty people. It's not profitable to be a Mr Big shot, because you'll have to prove yourself every other day. Put your pride and confidence in check.

1 Like

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by agabaI23(m): 6:29pm On Mar 09, 2017
MathsChic:
I think you are under an illusion of grandeur. You have a feeling you are smart. But indeed you may not be as smart as you think. It's the wrongest thing to think a boss who remarked, even if in passing, about your superior presentation skills, would now be thinking of bringing you down, when all he needs to "bring you down" is to merely fire you. And hire someone else.

If he found work for you between 10am and 4pm, it could be for a host of other reasons, and for nothing related to your paranoia. If he thought the DSTV needed to be shut down, there could be a thousand other reasons for it and not for the hunt you think.

You need to watch it. Sooner those feelings you harbour will creep out and in no time will become perceptible to your boss. You should know that once that happens, insubordination is the interpretation. I'll suggest you simply do your thing. Do your job and don't entertain those feelings of greatness, which, frankly, ain't even great anyways. Concentrate on honing your skills and not on who's after your phantom glory.

In other words, stay focused, oga. smiley
I love you already. You just echoed my echiche.

2 Likes

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 09, 2017
Shouldn't the topic read "Outshone" instead of "outshined"?

6 Likes

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by myk2mic: 6:37pm On Mar 09, 2017
wins18:
lol, I have one of like mind with op, the guy I nurtured and taught so many things about "cyber-space" or deep web ish. But he has been exhibiting this "I know them all" kinda life style. Smh for the dude's egocentric lifestyle. Dude has no idea whom he's dealing with. I just allow him to portray his folly to his satisfaction. Boss is always a boss when a bossy situation comes calling.
I rep #teamlowkey, speak less and avoid mistakes. Smile even when people around you give you cause to frown, standout and never be like the rest. Copy nobody and remain original, great people are rare and always hidden. They are like Gold, rare to find but highly valued when found.

Won't mind being ur student , I promise not to out shine you.lol but seriously though ,would u take me under ur wings
Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Nobody: 6:37pm On Mar 09, 2017
MathsChic:
I think you are under an illusion of grandeur. You have a feeling you are smart. But indeed you may not be as smart as you think. It's the wrongest thing to think a boss who remarked, even if in passing, about your superior presentation skills, would now be thinking of bringing you down, when all he needs to "bring you down" is to merely fire you. And hire someone else.

If he found work for you between 10am and 4pm, it could be for a host of other reasons, and for nothing related to your paranoia. If he thought the DSTV needed to be shut down, there could be a thousand other reasons for it and not for the hunt you think.

You need to watch it. Sooner those feelings you harbour will creep out and in no time will become perceptible to your boss. You should know that once that happens, insubordination is the interpretation. I'll suggest you simply do your thing. Do your job and don't entertain those feelings of greatness, which, frankly, ain't even great anyways. Concentrate on honing your skills and not on who's after your phantom glory.

This is the kinda woman I want to marry. cheesy
Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 09, 2017
B2Spirits:

Thanks jare! Even a prophet that knew me nowhere told me this before now.
A bad follower cannot be a good leader.Imagine if you had to employ a subordinate who feels he has a superior intellect and believed that he knows more than you do.How would you related and accommodate him?

2 Likes

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 09, 2017
wins18:
lol, I have one of like mind with op, the guy I nurtured and taught so many things about "cyber-space" or deep web ish. But he has been exhibiting this "I know them all" kinda life style. Smh for the dude's egocentric lifestyle. Dude has no idea whom he's dealing with. I just allow him to portray his folly to his satisfaction. Boss is always a boss when a bossy situation comes calling.
I rep #teamlowkey, speak less and avoid mistakes. Smile even when people around you give you cause to frown, standout and never be like the rest. Copy nobody and remain original, great people are rare and always hidden. They are like Gold, rare to find but highly valued when found.

True talk, i had someone tell me the same thing about her worker yesterday, l8r we youths would feel noone is willing to show us the ropes forgetting that Loyalty, humility & respect is the rule of the game...

I have enjoyed reading through comments & would employ some new tips found to be a "better" person

1 Like

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by mastermaestro(m): 6:41pm On Mar 09, 2017
B2Spirits:
Slavery mentality has taken over Nigerian youths... It's now a sin knowing one's onions. It's not your fault, but mine for thinking I may work for others before starting mine.

Shut up and accept correction! I doubt you have up to ten percent of my divinely inborn excellence. I have served people whose leadership skills, command of language, level of knowledge cannot match mine even their dreams. But I did my service to them with lamb loyalty.

You are lost in your hollow word twisting craft which twenty years from now will have done nothing monumental for you. Dude, learn loyalty. You cannot excel with this babyish belief that you are better than and or are being envied by those you should be serving. A bloody fantasy! Well reality will soon hit you like a hurricane! By then you would only scream, "Wasted years, how foolish I was!"

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by WINDSOW(m): 6:42pm On Mar 09, 2017
Bros, I too know na im dey kill u soooo.
B2Spirits:
What you should know is that special skills can't be hidden by individuals that possess them. It's like managers getting pissed off with celebrated dribblers with less goals.

I worked as a manager in a company owned by a professor of literature. Most of the meetings took place on WhatsApp platform where contributors are experts in the field, except the owner.

I have found out that rich people always want you to massage their ego even if they are wrong, and prefer losing, at times, to following a commoner's advice. I had never wanted to outshine them, but whenever I perceived that the result of not heeding my advice would be fatal, I would devise linguistic crafts that could only deliver the message to the prof. despite being read by all. The others would hail my language use sophistication, without them knowing that the prof. was smarting. He would have no other choice than submitting to me.

Along the line, he devised ways of making me look stupid, and I quitted when the ovation was loudest.

Now I've secured a new job in an hospital. My job description is purely about presentations--assisting the owner, who has been taking up this role before my arrival. It also requires me to be in the hospital everyday. Here, I normally don't have much to do between 10am and 4pm. Since that I would be busy at night and in the morning, I use that period to shop and and get important stuff done--I would still obtain permission before embarking on these. This job should have more men on shifts, but they don't want to hire more persons.

Being a good orator, my employer felt threatened and stylishly mentioned it in one of his presentations.

In his words, "Don't be surprised at our new man's ability to compete with Mark Twain as an orator. We all have special skills, and you are well aware of mine as not being oratory."

That marked the beginning of dramas.

I have an apartment in the hospital. The TV here has DSTV subscription paid for monthly, and linked with hospital wards.

Two weeks after my arrival, the owner disabled it. His reason is that he doesn't want patients to be watching ungodly channels. Know that Tv in the wards must be switched off by 8pm. But I watch it in my apartment anytime I want. I see this as a calculated attempt to get at me.

It's evident that this man wants me to live as a slave from other policies he rolled out later, and added them to my job descriptions. For instance, he found something meaningless for me to be doing by 10am to 4pm in a bid to pin me to the office at all cost, knowing full well that I use that time preparing my presentations.

Now I'm planning to quit, but my people are saying I intentionally want to throw away an opportunity. What's your take?

5 Likes

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Nobody: 6:44pm On Mar 09, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

Check the references below.

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by dasauce(m): 6:45pm On Mar 09, 2017
I notice Billyonaire was actually speaking to my ego!

2 Likes

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by OlujobaSamuel: 6:45pm On Mar 09, 2017
hmmmmmmmmm.......
there is a golden rule i live with, if you still want his money, satisfy him in every legal way.

3 Likes

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Nobody: 6:46pm On Mar 09, 2017
B2Spirits:
Slavery mentality has taken over Nigerian youths... It's now a sin knowing one's onions. It's not your fault, but mine for thinking I may work for others before starting mine.
Don't you think that you have the patience to accommodate dissenting voices ?People who don't see things the way you see them.
Your recourse to insults and defensiveness is very revealing. Be guided

5 Likes

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Nobody: 6:46pm On Mar 09, 2017
mastermaestro:

Shut up and accept correction! I doubt you have up to ten percent of my divinely inborn excellence. I have served people whose leadership skills, command of language, level of knowledge cannot match mine even their dreams. But I did my service to them with lamb loyalty.

You are lost in your hollow word twisting craft which twenty years from now will have done nothing monumental for you. Dude, learn loyalty. You cannot excel with this babyish belief that you are better than and or are being envied by those you should be serving. A bloody fantasy! Well reality will soon hit you like a hurricane! By then you would only scream, "Wasted years, how foolish I was!"

You are deceiving yourself, oponu.
Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Melonny(m): 6:47pm On Mar 09, 2017
Law 1- Never outshine the master.. Always make those above you feel comfortably superior. In your desire
to please or impress them, do not go too far in displaying your talents
or you might accomplish the opposite – inspire fear and insecurity.
Make your masters appear more brilliant than they are and you will
attain the heights of power.
Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Originalsly: 6:48pm On Mar 09, 2017
Bro... you really need go check yourself. You are here trying to present your case and are instead putting your foot in your mouth. Didn't you say you have pretty much nothing to do between 10 am and 4 pm?... so you shop online?...and do other stuff? No sane employer would have you do nothing on his time....he will find something... ..... anything for you to do. That's what he did and you are highly offended.... not sure if it's because you think it's degrading.... beneath your self elevated status to do the lowly task he set out for you...or if you are just paranoid. You cannot keep filling your mouth with pride ..... at some point you'll have to either swallow or choke. You are at that point..... if you can't swallow and get with the programme.... you will choke.... just like the previous job... and choke again should you find another. My advice... be your own boss... aren't you that good again?

5 Likes

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Nobody: 6:48pm On Mar 09, 2017
B2Spirits:
What you should know is that special skills can't be hidden by individuals that possess them. It's like managers getting pissed off with celebrated dribblers with less goals.

I worked as a manager in a company owned by a professor of literature. Most of the meetings took place on WhatsApp platform where contributors are experts in the field, except the owner.

I have found out that rich people always want you to massage their ego even if they are wrong, and prefer losing, at times, to following a commoner's advice. I had never wanted to outshine them, but whenever I perceived that the result of not heeding my advice would be fatal, I would devise linguistic crafts that could only deliver the message to the prof. despite being read by all. The others would hail my language use sophistication, without them knowing that the prof. was smarting. He would have no other choice than submitting to me.

Along the line, he devised ways of making me look stupid, and I quitted when the ovation was loudest.

Now I've secured a new job in an hospital. My job description is purely about presentations--assisting the owner, who has been taking up this role before my arrival. It also requires me to be in the hospital everyday. Here, I normally don't have much to do between 10am and 4pm. Since that I would be busy at night and in the morning, I use that period to shop and and get important stuff done--I would still obtain permission before embarking on these. This job should have more men on shifts, but they don't want to hire more persons.

Being a good orator, my employer felt threatened and stylishly mentioned it in one of his presentations.

In his words, "Don't be surprised at our new man's ability to compete with Mark Twain as an orator. We all have special skills, and you are well aware of mine as not being oratory."

That marked the beginning of dramas.

I have an apartment in the hospital. The TV here has DSTV subscription paid for monthly, and linked with hospital wards.

Two weeks after my arrival, the owner disabled it. His reason is that he doesn't want patients to be watching ungodly channels. Know that Tv in the wards must be switched off by 8pm. But I watch it in my apartment anytime I want. I see this as a calculated attempt to get at me.

It's evident that this man wants me to live as a slave from other policies he rolled out later, and added them to my job descriptions. For instance, he found something meaningless for me to be doing by 10am to 4pm in a bid to pin me to the office at all cost, knowing full well that I use that time preparing my presentations.

Now I'm planning to quit, but my people are saying I intentionally want to throw away an opportunity. What's your take?

I appreciate your oratorical prowess but I think a big dose of humility will be of immense benefit to your career and personal life.

In addition to having technical skills, any serious individual should have in their kitty people management skills.

It is not enough to be a good orator, are you also a good manager of the many predilections and eccentricities that constitute individual personalities?

You are not humble. You believe the world should bow down at your feet and that's going to cause you more problems than you are already having.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Melonny(m): 6:51pm On Mar 09, 2017
law 1- Never outshine the master..Always make those above you feel comfortably superior. In your desire
to please or impress them, do not go too far in displaying your talents
or you might accomplish the opposite – inspire fear and insecurity.
Make your masters appear more brilliant than they are and you will
attain the heights of power.
Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by JuicyStar: 6:53pm On Mar 09, 2017

There's always a learning process in life. U chose to work for ur boss because u want learn and earn money. Be humble cos you still have a lot u don't know. Be patient, be humble and u will definitely excel. But no one moves ahead by out shining his employer.
Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Dyt(f): 6:53pm On Mar 09, 2017
B2Spirits:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by amanikondo: 6:54pm On Mar 09, 2017
B2Spirits:

You are arrogant. You will be changing jobs like they change diapers. If you are good as you claimed, you should have been your own boss.

6 Likes

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by mastermaestro(m): 6:55pm On Mar 09, 2017
B2Spirits:

Confirmed! Truly, you are victim of primitive ego. I hope you are lucky enough to meet someone who would take time to renew your crude mind so you can become a sensible person.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Nobody: 6:56pm On Mar 09, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:
"Outshined" is also correct and can be used in place of "outshone".

From Merriam Webster's: Definition of outshine
outshone - \ˌau̇t-ˈshōn, especially British -ˈshän\ or outshined; outshining
transitive verb

a : to shine brighter than

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/outshine
Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by amanikondo: 6:58pm On Mar 09, 2017
B2Spirits:

And a fresh graduate will break into banks to get start-up capital abi?

This is where I know you are not brilliant. Being your own boss does not require you get a Start-Up capital from the bank. You can start small. If you cannot grow something little, you cannot something big. You can work on your passion. Did Linda Ikeji get start-up capital to be rich. Also, Basketmouth, Tuface, etc. It is the passion.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Kobicove(m): 6:59pm On Mar 09, 2017
Why did you break one of the laws of power?

So you want to usurp the powers of your boss undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Nobody: 6:59pm On Mar 09, 2017
Alot of people who perceive,they are very intelligent tend to fall into the "I know it all pit",and they feel nobody has something better to offer.Well i cant say much,cos i am not in your office,but i will say bro learn to watch yourself and learn to just be passive sometimes it helps......talking from experience and you need to apologize to the person you called ode and the other person you were rude to #teamgreatminds

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by Yteflon(m): 7:01pm On Mar 09, 2017
B2Spirits:

Check the references below.
weyrey ni bobo yi oh grin grin grin... you're even displaying it here. i wish you well. and bro to be honest, i don't see you as a smart person.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble by odimbannamdi(m): 7:03pm On Mar 09, 2017
MathsChic:

Well said

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Boss Asked Security To Throw Me Out Because I Asked For My Money / Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place / Frank Mba Promoted To The Rank Of A Commissioner Of Police (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.