Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,777 members, 7,798,597 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? (6659 Views)

10 Phones With 5000mah Battery Capacity In Nigeria / 5 Smartphones With Massive Battery Capacity / Gionee M2017 With 7000mah Battery Capacity Now Official: See Meme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by SugarPlum8: 11:19am On Mar 10, 2017
I'm on the subscriber list of techcity blog. This morning, I received a notification for two new topics. One was about Huawei GR7 and the other was about the reasons why I should get a phone with a long lasting battery.

In the course of reading, I saw a comparison between Tecno L9 Plus, Infinix Note 4 and Gionee M6 Mini. They were tabulated as follows:-

Product - TECNO L9 Plus Infinix Note 3 Gionee M6 Mini

Battery - 5000mAh 4500mAh 4000mAh

Slimness - 8.2mm 8.4mm 8.2mm

Weight - 180g 199g 180g

Screen Size - 6.0-inch 6.0-inch 5.3-inch

The obvious winner being L9 plus was dubbed the "slimmest battery king"

But that's not realy a concern

My question is, how do these manufacturers do it?
Which kind of technology do they use?
How can a phone have more battery capacity and still look slim?
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Techm8: 12:10pm On Mar 10, 2017
To achieve that slimness they make use of lithium batteries, such as Lithium Polymer (Li-Poly) and Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) batteries. Li-Poly batteries in particular tend to be really slim and lightweight and these batteries are not enclosed in metal and so can be made to fit the sleekest and smallest phones.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Mar 10, 2017
SugarPlum8:
I'm on the subscriber list of techcity blog. This morning, I received a notification for two new topics. One was about Huawei GR7 and the other was about the reasons why I should get a phone with a long lasting battery.

In the course of reading, I saw a comparison between Tecno L9 Plus, Infinix Note 4 and Gionee M6 Mini. They were tabulated as follows:-

Product - TECNO L9 Plus Infinix Note 3 Gionee M6 Mini

Battery - 5000mAh 4500mAh 4000mAh

Slimness - 8.2mm 8.4mm 8.2mm

Weight - 180g 199g 180g

Screen Size - 6.0-inch 6.0-inch 5.3-inch

The obvious winner being L9 plus was dubbed the "slimmest battery king"

But that's not realy a concern

My question is, how do these manufacturers do it?
Which kind of technology do they use?
How can a phone have more battery capacity and still look slim?

My question too. I am really surprised at how they achieve this feat
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Mar 10, 2017
Techm8:
To achieve that slimness they make use of lithium batteries, such as Lithium Polymer (Li-Poly) and Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) batteries. Li-Poly batteries in particular tend to be really slim and lightweight and these batteries are not enclosed in metal and so can be made to fit the sleekest and smallest phones.

Does that mean that even with a 10kmAh battery capcity, this can be achieved too?
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Techm8: 12:55pm On Mar 10, 2017
funmyade:

Does that mean that even with a 10kmAh battery capcity, this can be achieved too?
slimness? probably. But expect a significant increase in weight and maybe height and width too.

2 Likes

Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Matikho: 9:11am On Mar 12, 2017
I think you should also talk about length and width of a battery. Anyway, I'm not an expert in this field shocked Is Huawei GR5 2017 as good as they say
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Behankey(m): 9:14am On Mar 12, 2017
There was a time it does, but not anymore. Engineers have continued to innovate in this regard by producing devices that are not heavy with a battery life that is strong. Take for example the new L9 Plus from Tecno, 5000mah and it still weighs 180g.
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by scarycuteface(m): 12:32pm On Mar 12, 2017
Behankey:
There was a time it does, but not anymore. Engineers have continued to innovate in this regard by producing devices that are not heavy with a battery life that is strong. Take for example the new L9 Plus from Tecno, 5000mah and it still weighs 180g.
The L9 is the slimmest battery king for a reason. Power packed in a slim device, maybe its tecno magic because I think battery capacity affects the weight of a phone.
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 12, 2017
I dont think it does. Technology has evolved in the making of battery, particularly when it is sealed.
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Mar 12, 2017
Techm8:

slimness? probably. But expect a significant increase in weight and maybe height and width too.

I guess it does more to height compared to weight. See the new Tecno L9plus for instance, it weighs less compared to Gionee with same battery capacity.
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Mar 12, 2017
scarycuteface:
The L9 is the slimmest battery king for a reason. Power packed in a slim device, maybe its tecno magic because I think battery capacity affects the weight of a phone.

I think it affects heights more than weight
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Freak101(f): 9:12pm On Mar 12, 2017
Yes ..check the likes of gionee and tecno l8,their batteries are high and the phones are heavy af
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Abdstrakt(m): 11:56pm On Mar 12, 2017
D4Daymoo:

I guess it does more to height compared to weight. See the new Tecno L9plus for instance, it weighs less compared to Gionee with same battery capacity.
You forgot a tiny yet important detail. There are tens of other components that make up a phone besides the battery.
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by jonnpedro: 7:25am On Mar 13, 2017
Yes, it adds up
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Iseoluwani: 7:26am On Mar 13, 2017
Freak101:
Yes ..check the likes of gionee and tecno l8,their batteries are high and the phones are heavy af

Like my gionee m5 mini
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Eleniyan15: 7:27am On Mar 13, 2017
Tecno L8plus culprit
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by lordsharks(m): 7:33am On Mar 13, 2017
Absolutely, cos if you remove a devices battery, it becomes very light
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Emmanuel602(m): 7:34am On Mar 13, 2017
ARSENE WENGER MUST GO
#WENGEROUT

1 Like

Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by ychris: 7:37am On Mar 13, 2017
It seems so
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by KingRex1(m): 7:38am On Mar 13, 2017
Techm8:
Thumbs.. You've said it all

1 Like

Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Dandsome: 7:40am On Mar 13, 2017
Years of hardwork and learning

Eleniyan15:
Tecno L8plus culprit

LOL look closely you'll notice that the OP is talking about the Tecno L9 plus and not the L8 plus.

You're welcome cheesy
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by rawpadgin(m): 7:44am On Mar 13, 2017
Iseoluwani:

Like my gionee m5 mini

same phone i am currently using

u fit use the fone take dey gym & na so the battery dey last

1 Like

Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by BlindAngel: 7:47am On Mar 13, 2017
I guess so.
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Eleniyan15: 7:50am On Mar 13, 2017
Dandsome:
Years of hardwork and learning

LOL look closely you'll notice that the OP is talking about the Tecno L9 plus and not the L8 plus.

You're welcome cheesy

I know egbon.....just making reference
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by paolokonqueror(m): 7:52am On Mar 13, 2017
Very educative. Thanks. So I'm guessing this is what Tecno did on L9 Plus?
Techm8:
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by paolokonqueror(m): 7:55am On Mar 13, 2017
I swear I've been wondering how they do it especially with how slim the L9 Plus is and how mad the battery turned out
funmyade:

My question too. I am really surprised at how they achieve this feat
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by dejiWEST: 8:08am On Mar 13, 2017
To be very honest, the world is evolving, when I saw the specs of that L9 PLus, I was so astonished like very soon, they will say our imaginations will be the battery grin grin
Behankey:
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by dejiWEST: 8:10am On Mar 13, 2017
Errr they don't have the same capacity na, from what the OP wrote, L9 Plus has 5000mAh while the Gionee has 4000
D4Daymoo:

Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by DavidoArsenal(m): 8:12am On Mar 13, 2017
Of course, makes sense bruh! But these phones have internal batteries. Lol Imagine if them fit remove the L9+ battery, damn!
lordsharks:
Absolutely, cos if you remove a devices battery, it becomes very light
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by dejiWEST: 8:13am On Mar 13, 2017
LMFAO grin grin grin ARSENAL FANS ti wole oh

In Arsene We Trust!!!

Emmanuel602:
ARSENE WENGER MUST GO
#WENGEROUT
Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by DavidoArsenal(m): 8:15am On Mar 13, 2017
Ya mad!!!! WENGER GOTTA GO
dejiWEST:
LMFAO grin grin grin ARSENAL FANS ti wole oh

In Arsene We Trust!!!

Re: Does Battery Capacity Determine The Weight Of A Phone? by Thukzee01(m): 8:18am On Mar 13, 2017
Techm8:
ur answer Op

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Fix Dream League 2019 Lag On Camon 11 And Camon 11 Pro / Glo Launches Twin Bash For Data Subscribers / Why Tecno T630 Doesn’t Support Whatsapp App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.