Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,231 members, 7,807,767 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? (3520 Views)

Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car / You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. / 5 Likely Causes For An Overheating Car Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by moscobabs(m): 2:52pm On Mar 10, 2017
One of our company vehicles had an accident this morning due to break failure
It was towed back to office but everybody was surprise when the company company Mechanic said "The break failure might be as a result of Overheating "

Gazuzz, autoreports , naijacarlovers,Autosbay,hrhjnr and other gurus in the house please come and give us lecture on this issue.

Thanks sirs
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by searchng4love: 2:54pm On Mar 10, 2017
No they are two independent systems.... Brake system and cooling system... Brake ... Pads callipers... Oil etc master cylinder etc.
The cooling system consists of a radiator.. temperature sensor... Thermostat... Cooling fans ... And the coolant fluid..
They're absolutely apart.
Modified:
Brake binding can cause overheating issues though.
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by moscobabs(m): 3:03pm On Mar 10, 2017
searchng4love:
No they are two independent systems.... Brake system and cooling system... Brake ... Pads callipers... Oil etc master cylinder etc.
The cooling system consists of a radiator.. temperature sensor... Thermostat... Cooling fans ... And the coolant fluid..
Thanks sir , I still need more facts to tackle the man.
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by searchng4love: 3:04pm On Mar 10, 2017
moscobabs:

Thanks sir , I still need more facts to tackle the man.
Ok.
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by moscobabs(m): 3:08pm On Mar 10, 2017
Marpol

lalasticlala

seun

help we want to learn new thing
thanks
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by Obinnau(m): 3:22pm On Mar 10, 2017
You ought to have asked him to elaborate more on what he meant, whether the brake failure was due to engine overheat or brake disk overheating. Now both systems are independent of each other. But in truth brake failure can occur due to overheat, When the brakes overheat to a great degree, the metal in the brake rotors or drums develops hard spots. These are known as hot spots. The hot spots resist the friction from the brake shoes and pads. Because the shoes or pads have nothing they can grasp, there's no friction. Consequently, braking power is lost.

2 Likes

Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by valarinz: 6:52pm On Mar 10, 2017
searchng4love:
Modified:
Brake binding can cause overheating issues though.

Internet car gurus everywhere, so you also don't know that when you place you legs on your brake and it seems stiff, turning on the car engine makes it soften and goes down a bit more

So you're saying that even when a car engine goes gaga due to overheating in motion and you meet an emergency and depress the brakes it will still perform perfectly as when the engine is running fine. I've personally witnessed it on a couple of occasions oga, while driving and the vehicle overheats and the brakes also become stiffer and requires more pressing down to achieve desired results

At times it's best to leave commenting to the people who handle cars of different status on regular basis ie the mechanics/dealers, cos an issue which you've probably never experienced in all your years of driving your personal car is something they've had to encounter on a regular basis

For the OP, I might not have the diagrams or big grammar to illustrate my point, but your mechanic has a point, tnx

4 Likes

Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:08pm On Mar 10, 2017
moscobabs:
It was towed back to office but everybody was surprise when the company company Mechanic said "The break failure might be as a result of Overheating "

Gazuzz, autoreports , naijacarlovers,Autosbay,hrhjnr and other gurus in the house please come and give us lecture on this issue.

Thanks sirs

someone asked overheating on which part ?

the cooling system will never overheat becoz of brake binding but the dics/rotor will definately overheat

so which overheating is s/he asking about ?
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by searchng4love: 7:58pm On Mar 10, 2017
valarinz:

Internet car gurus everywhere, so you also don't know that when you place you legs on your brake and it seems stiff, turning on the car engine makes it soften and goes down a bit more

So you're saying that even when a car engine goes gaga due to overheating in motion and you meet an emergency and depress the brakes it will still perform perfectly as when the engine is running fine. I've personally witnessed it on a couple of occasions oga, while driving and the vehicle overheats and the brakes also become stiffer and requires more pressing down to achieve desired results

At times it's best to leave commenting to the people who handle cars of different status on regular basis ie the mechanics/dealers, cos an issue which you've probably never experienced in all your years of driving your personal car is something they've had to encounter on a regular basis

For the OP, I might not have the diagrams or big grammar to illustrate my point, but your mechanic has a point, tnx

Your head is empty.
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by mayor2013: 9:12pm On Mar 10, 2017
ZIMDRILL:

someone asked overheating on which part ?

the cooling system will never overheat becoz of brake binding but the dics/rotor will definately overheat

so which overheating is s/he asking about ?

Who says. Don't forget when there is z binding brake depending on the degree your engine and transmission is over worked. What happens when its over worked?
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by searchng4love: 9:15pm On Mar 10, 2017
mayor2013:

Who says. Don't forget when there is z binding brake depending on the degree your engine and transmission is over worked. What happens when its over worked?
Abeg leave all these internet drivers
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:09am On Mar 11, 2017
mayor2013:

binding of brake can never cause the engine or transmission to overheat
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by valarinz: 10:35am On Mar 11, 2017
searchng4love:

Your head is empty.

Don't resort to Insults, it's only a shortcut out, kindly disprove all the points I stated above, tnx

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by searchng4love: 10:44am On Mar 11, 2017
valarinz:

Don't resort to Insults, it's only a shortcut out, kindly disprove all the points I stated above, tnx
If I did you'd not understand.
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by searchng4love: 10:46am On Mar 11, 2017
ZIMDRILL:

I disagree. Where's Gazzuzz sef
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by diportivo: 11:27am On Mar 11, 2017
ZIMDRILL:

Apparently,things happen differently on cars in naija and the UK

undecided

valarinz:

U also av a point too
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:17pm On Mar 11, 2017
moscobabs:

Thanks sirs

Vehicle info? With this I can comment.
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by moscobabs(m): 1:29pm On Mar 11, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Vehicle info? With this I can comment.

Hiace Omar Bus (Toyota)
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:04pm On Mar 11, 2017
diportivo:

Apparently,things happen differently on cars in naija and the UK

undecided

U also av a point too

meaning the car would have two problems brake binding and something else

anyway in naija seem like mechanics no better than the manufacturer they throw the thermo away fun runs direct, do double cell etc

the car becames shell of it former glory
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:36pm On Mar 11, 2017
moscobabs:

Hiace Omar Bus (Toyota)

the engine sits under the driver and front passenger. There is sufficient distance from engine to brake master, so in the event of engine overheating, the rise in temp should not cause a malfunction in the break master.

Over heating of the brake rotors caused by excessive braking could cause brake failure.

1 Like

Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by adanny01(m): 8:32pm On Mar 11, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

the engine sits under the driver and front passenger. There is sufficient distance from engine to brake master, so in the event of engine overheating, the rise in temp should not cause a malfunction in the break master.

Over heating of the brake rotors caused by excessive braking could cause brake failure.

This is very interesting because i experienced something quite similar some days ago.

I was driving on a very bad road, Minna-Abuja road, not familiar with the road so i was speeding and breaking hard. Every thing was normal but at a point i felt my foot going down beyond usual at a pot hole. I parked, checked the break fluid level (ok), back in the car, the break pedal went flat all the way. Pumped it 3-4 times and it became strong. Let the car idle for 30 secs and the break went flat again. I attempted to drive to the next town but aborted when i almost hit a car from failed breaks. At this point the breaks will catch only after pumping like 7 times.

Parked the car and left it to cool for 5 mins and every thing became normal till today.

Am sure its not heated rotors as i know how that one feels after breaking hard.

I was thinking, was the master hot or what. Pumping it brings out bubbles in the reservoir. Also if i pump and it holds the fluid goes down to normal level, leaving it for 30 seconds the fluid returns to rsevoir and fills it beyond normal level. Ift over flowed once. It was a really strange event.

2 Likes

Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by 3kay945(m): 9:08pm On Mar 11, 2017
With my little knowledge,.. The day my car overheated,. I felt serious vibration on the brake.
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by divinelove(m): 9:33pm On Mar 11, 2017
My personal experience is dt brake binding can lead to car overheating, so d mech may nt be totally wrong

Hw often u use the brake impacts on the cooling system n when the brake binds the engine over works leading to over heating. They are nt independent system like some ppl said

2 Likes

Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by valarinz: 7:48am On Mar 12, 2017
3kay945:
With my little knowledge,.. The day my car overheated,. I felt serious vibration on the brake.

This is simply what I believe the mechanic is letting the OP know, that moment while driving when the engine overheats, the brake will misbehave, yet all i see here is everyone trying to show off big grammar and their Internet knowledge of car systems,

It is well
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by Denn(m): 11:32am On Mar 12, 2017
moscobabs:

Thanks sirs

The mechanic and the driver are friends.

The mechanic is simply trying to protect his friend.

First, he claims the car was overheating. What is the procedure that a professional driver takes when the car overheats? Does he keep accelerating up to speeds that can cause serious damage via accident or drive slowly, park and sort the problem?

To those who mention hard brake pedal when engine is off and softer pedals when engine is running, it is simply the brake booster doing its work.

The only connection of a standard brake system to the engine is via a simple vacuum hose. The temperature of the engine has virtually no relationship with the brake system; except the car was literally burning and fire was gutting everything.

And by the way, was your fabled mechanic a forensic expert? How was he able to do a post-accident evaluation that made him conclude so confidently that engine overheating caused the accident?

Your company needs a more honest mechanic

1 Like

Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by adanny01(m): 12:41pm On Mar 12, 2017
valarinz:

Its best to just give your opinion without critisizing others.

The Vacuum booster or vacuum servo assists the driver in pushing the break pedal using the engine vacuum. I am not aware or cant imagine how high engine temperature could affect this system. As long as there is vacuum input, the servo should work fine.

However, i tend to agree with you that a loss of vacuum may seem to a less vigilant driver like the break has failed but may only need to press the pedal harder since there is no assist from the servo.

What i cannot relate is the connection between engine temperature and break system. I personally feel there is none.

1 Like

Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by valarinz: 1:16pm On Mar 12, 2017
adanny01:

Its best to just give your opinion without critisizing others.

The Vacuum booster or vacuum servo assists the driver in pushing the break pedal using the engine vacuum. I am not aware or cant imagine how high engine temperature could affect this system. As long as there is vacuum input, the servo should work fine.

However, i tend to agree with you that a loss of vacuum may seem to a less vigilant driver like the break has failed but may only need to press the pedal harder since there is no assist from the servo.

What i cannot relate is the connection between engine temperature and break system. I personally feel there is none.

Like I said, I might not have the big grammar or plenty explanations of the car systems, cos naturally I despise long long stories, but like you pointed out, temporarily during that period of engine malfunction due to overheating the brake no longer performs well(due to the loss of vaccum), and you'll have to depress harder to get the desired result (mind you this is something I've experienced personally, not what I read on the internet), so as far as the mechanic is concerned, that's "brake failure" as a result of overheating, so, don't throw him under the bus, tnx
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by valarinz: 1:32pm On Mar 12, 2017
Denn:

The mechanic and the driver are friends.

The mechanic is simply trying to protect his friend.

First, he claims the car was overheating. What is the procedure that a professional driver takes when the car overheats? Does he keep accelerating up to speeds that can cause serious damage via accident or drive slowly, park and sort the problem?

To those who mention hard brake pedal when engine is off and softer pedals when engine is running, it is simply the brake booster doing its work.

The only connection of a standard brake system to the engine is via a simple vacuum hose. The temperature of the engine has virtually no relationship with the brake system; except the car was literally burning and fire was gutting everything.

And by the way, was your fabled mechanic a forensic expert? How was he able to do a post-accident evaluation that made him conclude so confidently that engine overheating caused the accident?

Your company needs a more honest mechanic

I was once driving down from oshodi to ikeja on heavy traffic, was using my car AC too, suddenly I noticed I had to depress the brakes twice as hard to avoid hitting the vehicle in front of me, temperature gauge was still showing it at the middle where it should be (a fault with the gauge which I never knew about till this incidence occured), looking at the dashboard and everything seemed fine I kept driving and the brake stuff was getting worse and I was already contemplating on how to go and get my brakes checked out. Next thing I saw was vapor coming out of my bonnet and the hissing, alas, my car was overheating, quickly pulled off the road before engine went off and waited for it to cool off and bled with water before I continued.

Now, after this, the brakes went back to performing normally once more, now can you pls assist in providing an explanation as to why the incident with the brakes did happen. Vehicle in question was a 2004 Volvo S60, 2.4l turbo engine. I'll be waiting as this forms a major basis for my conviction that the mechanic the OP talked about do have a point.

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by Denn(m): 6:48pm On Mar 12, 2017
valarinz:

I was once driving down from oshodi to ikeja on heavy traffic, was using my car AC too, suddenly I noticed I had to depress the brakes twice as hard to avoid hitting the vehicle in front of me, temperature gauge was still showing it at the middle where it should be (a fault with the gauge which I never knew about till this incidence occured), looking at the dashboard and everything seemed fine I kept driving and the brake stuff was getting worse and I was already contemplating on how to go and get my brakes checked out. Next thing I saw was vapor coming out of my bonnet and the hissing, alas, my car was overheating, quickly pulled off the road before engine went off and waited for it to cool off and bled with water before I continued.

Now, after this, the brakes went back to performing normally once more, now can you pls assist in providing an explanation as to why the incident with the brakes did happen. Vehicle in question was a 2004 Volvo S60, 2.4l turbo engine. I'll be waiting as this forms a major basis for my conviction that the mechanic the OP talked about do have a point.

Thanks
I have a simple question in this line.

If you had coincidentally had a flat tire at that same time, would you have attributed it also as a consequence of over heating?

1 Like

Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by valarinz: 8:46pm On Mar 12, 2017
Denn:

I have a simple question in this line.

If you had coincidentally had a flat tire at that same time, would you have attributed it also as a consequence of over heating?

So, you're saying it's a coincidence the brakes malfunctioned at the same time the engine overheated and went back to normal after it was back to normal, ok then, coincidence, tnx
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by adanny01(m): 9:35pm On Mar 12, 2017
valarinz:

Like I said, I might not have the big grammar or plenty explanations of the car systems, cos naturally I despise long long stories, but like you pointed out, temporarily during that period of engine malfunction due to overheating the brake no longer performs well(due to the loss of vaccum), and you'll have to depress harder to get the desired result (mind you this is something I've experienced personally, not what I read on the internet), so as far as the mechanic is concerned, that's "brake failure" as a result of overheating, so, don't throw him under the bus, tnx

I didnt say due to overheating. The engine will self destruct or sieze long before the vacuum is lost because of overheating. I am saying engine over heating has nothing to do with brakes as long as the engine is running.
Re: Can Overheating Cause Break Failure? by Kilbane: 9:19am On Mar 04, 2020
The mechanic is right. I've been battling brakes issues. It causes the affected wheel to heat up. The engine over heats becomes it is trying to overcome normal road friction while also battling the opposition from the brakes.

It matters little now since the mechanic may have been long fired.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Very First Car - A Nigerian Used Golf 3 Right Choice ? / 2000 Sienna Rattling, Creaking, Clanging and squeaking Sound fix with pic / Mazda6 Owners Pop Up!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.