Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:17 PM

7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria (11453 Views)

Ford Self-driving Cars Are Now Delivering Domino Pizzas Across Miami / Waymo Self-driving Cars Becomes Soft Before Hitting A Pedestrian / Mercedes Benz Self Driving Bus Unveiled (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by AutoJoshNG: 3:47pm On Mar 10, 2017
Autonomous cars !!.Its been a while I have talked about self-driving or autonomous cars .Today I would be talking about some things that needs to be in place before self -driving cars come to Nigeria.

1.The Law
Obviously there has to be a law,to guide the operations of this type of vehicle.How ,when,and in what region it should operate ,under what conditions.The list is endless .

2.Better Roads
Yeah , we need better roads !.No one would want to have such beautiful technology wrecked as a result of bad roads.

3.Improved and Well Planned Road Networks
While having good roads is one thing ,having good and well planned road networks is another thing.Good enough Lagos state is considerably at the top of their game in this aspect.But some areas are still lagging behind.

4.Well Trained Auto Engineers
Auto Engineers have to beef up their knowledge and skills because it won’t be business as usual.No one would want to take an autonomous car to Wasiu to mess things up.

5.Fully Functional Traffic Lights
We don’t want to hear of complains anymore that traffic lights are not working because there is no fuel !. The government needs to get their affairs in order regarding this .The traffic lights aid autonomous cars to know when to stop and move at roundabouts and junctions.

6.Improved Cyber Security
Nigeria still has a long way to go when it comes to cyber security .Driverless cars are considerable susceptible to hacking and it would be a very big target.The cyber security level in Nigeria has to be increased.

7.Law Enforcement Agencies
Well these guys and their behaviors is of very huge concern .They have to be trained on how to stop harassing car owners for no reason .And possibly their checkpoints have to be concentrated at traffic lights and tollgates. Because autonomous cars are no respecters of men in black.

What do you think ?

Have something to add?

We would like to hear from you.

Kindly comment below.

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/7-things-needs-autonomous-cars-nigeria/

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by Skeendip(m): 4:21pm On Mar 10, 2017
For which Naija?

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by kingPhidel(m): 4:27pm On Mar 10, 2017
Ok
Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by friendly101: 4:27pm On Mar 10, 2017
ok
Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by Dhaffs(m): 4:27pm On Mar 10, 2017
Seen,buh ah dnt aff a ...... Yet,itz on da way grin
Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by khalidjnr(m): 4:28pm On Mar 10, 2017
Good

1 Like

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by Nobody: 4:28pm On Mar 10, 2017
AutoJoshNG:
Autonomous cars !!.Its been a while I have talked about self-driving or autonomous cars .Today I would be talking about some things that needs to be in place before self -driving cars come to Nigeria.

1.The Law
Obviously there has to be a law,to guide the operations of this type of vehicle.How ,when,and in what region it should operate ,under what conditions.The list is endless .

2.Better Roads
Yeah , we need better roads !.No one would want to have such beautiful technology wrecked as a result of bad roads.

3.Improved and Well Planned Road Networks
While having good roads is one thing ,having good and well planned road networks is another thing.Good enough Lagos state is considerably at the top of their game in this aspect.But some areas are still lagging behind.

Auto Engineers have to beef up their knowledge and skills because it won’t be business as usual.No one would want to take an autonomous car to Wasiu to mess things up.

We don’t want to hear of complains anymore that traffic lights are not working because there is no fuel !. The government needs to get their affairs in order regarding this .The traffic lights aid autonomous cars to know when to stop and move at roundabouts and junctions.

Nigeria still has a long way to go when it comes to cyber security .Driverless cars are considerable susceptible to hacking and it would be a very big target.The cyber security level in Nigeria has to be increased.

7.Law Enforcement Agencies
Well these guys and their behaviors is of very huge concern .They have to be trained on how to stop harassing car owners for no reason .And possibly their checkpoints have to be concentrated at traffic lights and tollgates. Because autonomous cars are no respecters of men in black.

What do you think ?

Have something to add?

Kindly comment below.

By Donald3d

In other words self-driving cars aint coming to this shithole ... EVER

8 Likes

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by soberdrunk(m): 4:29pm On Mar 10, 2017
This 'self driving' car you people are shouting up and down, wetin do una 'hand' and 'leg'! Me am from Ibadan and we dont like 'rough' play, abeg i prefer to drive myself "e je kin wa ra mi" angry angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by Nobody: 4:29pm On Mar 10, 2017
`

1 Like

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by adezjamz(m): 4:29pm On Mar 10, 2017
8. Build more Accident Response Centres

9. Build more Mortuaries

10. Build more.. ...

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by Spacless(m): 4:29pm On Mar 10, 2017
we go wait tire
Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by Nobody: 4:29pm On Mar 10, 2017
allrightsir:
self-driving and Nigeria? are you a comedian?
He is an optimist wink

1 Like

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by holysainbj(m): 4:30pm On Mar 10, 2017
h
Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by viqueta(m): 4:31pm On Mar 10, 2017
OP you forgot to add THE CAR SHOULD BE TRAINED TO ALSO AVOID VIO/LASTMA/FRSC/POLICE or better still taught how to bribe them

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by Badgers14: 4:31pm On Mar 10, 2017
The idea of self driving car is Nigeria is dead on arrival.. That's unthinkable... We don't even have good road networks for regular cars to drive in and they are talking about driveless cars shocked

By the way, I thought they have driveless cars in benin and Ibuza, the ones that drives at night grin grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by afeezco675(m): 4:34pm On Mar 10, 2017
I laugh in swahill oo
Driverless car for naija
Kikikikikiki
I trust my ibo boys sha

1 Like

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by davidkingrichie(m): 4:40pm On Mar 10, 2017
1. We need a functional/detailed mapping system. Too bad 2 of our best geological mappers works for Apple.

2. Most self driven cars don't need traffic light to function properly. All they need are:
The car in front should have a 'working brake light', other self driven cars on the road that they communicate with in a phantom LAN in order to ensure the safety of everyone on the road.

3. Good roads. The car sensors scan the lines on the side of the road so as to maintain its lane all through the driving experience.

4. Good Laws. As you pointed out, this is truly important. Danfo buses and other commercial motor vehicles should be banned from stopping as they please. Only stop at the bus-stop. Old, rickety cars should also be banned.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 10, 2017
Ok
Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by smartty68(m): 4:49pm On Mar 10, 2017
Ahhhhhh!shocked OP you want make this autonomous ki hawkers or drive enter people house cos some road network pass through people house. Self-driving cars can wait until NEPA bring lightgrin
Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by Jaytecq(m): 4:50pm On Mar 10, 2017
tor
Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by whizpa(m): 5:11pm On Mar 10, 2017
You forgot the most important of all. Good GPS/Well written and documented road Maps. Tesla Model S is an autonomous car. It is reliant on Tesla's navigation system for it's Movement. Without a well written map, You and your car will find yourselves on the "wrong lane" or worse, inside the lagoon.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by metallisc(m): 5:23pm On Mar 10, 2017
viqueta:
OP you forgot to add THE CAR SHOULD BE TRAINED TO ALSO AVOID VIO/LASTMA/FRSC/POLICE or better still taught how to bribe them

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by loomer: 5:33pm On Mar 10, 2017
We never fit handle cars wey people dey drive, na self driving cars una dey hope for for naija.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by nextstep(m): 5:38pm On Mar 10, 2017
viqueta:

This is the most important thing, and yet OP left it out. grin

Functioning traffic lights? Better roads? In fact if those companies do their research in Nigeria, their cars will be of much higher quality because of dealing with naija factor.

The car should also be good at honking randomly for no reason, like my brothers in Delta, pressing horn like it's a toy.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by Pharaoh9(m): 5:42pm On Mar 10, 2017
What of GPS?
Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by Mathemagician1(m): 5:45pm On Mar 10, 2017
AutoJoshNG:

1.The Law

[s]2.Better Roads
Yeah , we need better roads !.No one would want to have such beautiful technology wrecked as a result of bad roads.[/s]

You don't need good roads before you can use self driving cars. With a functional sensor in front of the car and a good algorithm, your car can detect bad roads ahead and maneuver it just like a good Lagos driver will do.

[s]3.Improved and Well Planned Road Networks
While having good roads is one thing ,having good and well planned road networks is another thing.Good enough Lagos state is considerably at the top of their game in this aspect.But some areas are still lagging behind.[/s]

What do you mean by improved and well planned roads? And how is Lagos state considerably at the top of their game? angry With her poorly marked roads Lagos would fail woefully if a self driving car is tested on any of her roads even at Lekki. Self-driving technology uses an on-board radar system that scans road markings and detect cars around to support its acceleration, deceleration, bends and turns.

[s]
[/s]

Actually traffic lights are setback to self-driving technology. Why do you even need traffic lights when there is inter-vehicular communication? I'll prefer a well coordinated GPS system with pre-programmed speed limits.

[s]7.Law Enforcement Agencies
Well these guys and their behaviors is of very huge concern .They have to be trained on how to stop harassing car owners for no reason .And possibly their checkpoints have to be concentrated at traffic lights and tollgates. Because autonomous cars are no respecters of men in black.[/s]

Really? I was going to ignore it but this is where I shrugged and decided to make my contribution. Self driving cars can detect humans, animals and even objects on the road. There is an emergency STOP function if a human or animal crosses the road carelessly or even as much as stands on the way. It is that cautious. You won't believe how responsive this genius function is.

Do we really need toll-gates when your car can be scanned at a toll station and the invoice sent to you in an email for payment confirmation?

What do you think ?

Have something to add?

Kindly comment below.

By Donald3d

AutoJoshNG your car reviews are impressive and quite interesting I must say. I was looking forward to see WELL MARKED ROADS as the number one criteria for self driving cars but surprisingly, it wasn't even on your list. W‎hile I respect your views and expertise on conventional vehicles, I certainly would question your expertise on self-driving technology. Please note the term "SELF-DRIVING". 

As a car enthusiast I implore you to do an in-depth research on the technology you wish to blog about before coming out with an article. Doing otherwise will make Artificial Intelligence (AI) enthusiasts like myself question your competence.

I wish you all the best in your career.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 10, 2017
Self-driving cars on Nigerian roads? Maybe in another life but not in this lifetime.

loomer:
We never fit handle cars wey people dey drive, na self driving cars una dey hope for for naija.
lol
Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by princeonx: 6:05pm On Mar 10, 2017
Lol self driving ko! Self flying ni!

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by roeb1987(m): 9:08pm On Mar 10, 2017
from my own point of view, I think Nigeria will need the car most. at least to curb the activities of the Nigeria Police collecting #20 on the road.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by Zetra(m): 9:26pm On Mar 10, 2017
Where is the constant power supply to charge it. Oh I remember we will use generator
Re: 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria by Mathemagician1(m): 6:40am On Mar 11, 2017
Zetra:
Where is the constant power supply to charge it.
Oh I remember we will use generator

Self-driving cars =/= electric cars. Self-driving cars can also be powered by gasoline engine. Actually, I'll prefer a gasoline powered self driving car so that we can make use of already established infrastructure to service it - such as gas stations, auto-mechanics and service centers around the world. This will also help us avoid the politics of oil that's been a bottleneck to the advancement of electric cars.

By the way, cars can be programmed to drive into gas stations and request for a refill. Only that the owner or passenger will have to pay cash for it or better still emailed the invoice for payment confirmation.

Cheers

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

"The BEAST" President Obama's Official Car / Lexus Is250 / CNG Cars Are Safer Than Petrol Cars - Gazzuzz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.