Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,386 members, 7,808,364 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

What Happened To The Naira Swap - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Happened To The Naira Swap (16075 Views)

When Will Yuan/Naira Swap Deal Take Effect? / ‘Anyone Caught Abusing The Naira Will Face Jail Terms’ – CBN Warns Nigerians / ‘this Is Why The Naira Fell Despite CBN Intervention’ – ABCON (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened To The Naira Swap by router123(m): 2:22pm On Mar 11, 2017
I want to believe that my readers followed the Naira swap issue when it was on last year.

All my adult life I have never seen an economic policy as wise as that.
Note that I don't claim to know all that is involved but what I know is that we where to then get a billion dollar worth of China currency then.
Most of our export are paid for in dollar that is why we have too much pressure on dollar. whereas 60% of it comes from China and as at then the Chinese currency was a third of what the dollar was.
So China was to give us it currency worth a billion dollar in exchange for Naira
Therefore for anything you are bringing from China we use the excess Chinese currency to sort it out.
That will reduce the pressure on dollar a lot since use addly produce things in d us but in China.
I was discussing with a friend asking what happened to the deal. He said US will not be happy with the deal that is why they didn't go ahead with the deal
Government in US have changed hands to a man who doesn't care much about pleasing others. Why can't we strike the deal now.
I need learned people here to educate me

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by eezeribe(m): 2:48pm On Mar 11, 2017
The Naira swap deal with China was just an artificial solution to a perennial problem;Even the Chinese government itself would do Anything possible to increase its Reserves in US DOLLARS.
I am so happy the 'deal' failed to materialise.

THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT WOULD HAVE STILL USED OUR NAIRA TO EXCHANGE FOR DOLLARS AND STORE IN THIER RESERVES.

Our Economic problems can only be Tackled Holistically by bridging the gap or 'inbalance' between importation and exportation.

Even the present artificial remedy of pumping in more dollars into the economy,will only create more problems in the long term if not Tackled from the foundation.

THE NAIRA SWAP DEAL WAS THE VERY FIRST SIGN OF CLUELESSNESS.

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by router123(m): 3:07pm On Mar 11, 2017
I didn't get you sir.
I suppose the bait swap is a better solution that the pumping of dollar and I also agree in the balance of trade thing.
But how can is be d major beneficiary when the person am trading with is China?

3 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by jejemanito: 7:37am On Mar 12, 2017
Fantasize about the miracle of currency swaps, pump in artificial cash all you want.

At the end of the day, we all will go back to ECN 101

IF Import >> Export THEN

Economy = "Recession and Doom"

END

61 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by 1Rebel: 7:37am On Mar 12, 2017
Buhari media center and their innumerable lies

81 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by Phonefanatic: 7:38am On Mar 12, 2017
Film trick

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by hobermener: 7:38am On Mar 12, 2017
Propaganda happened!!! It was a stupid deal from inception, lies told to gullible zombies to increase the popularity of the old terrorist. It never happened cos there wasn't any such deal in the first place!!!!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by nairalandfreak(m): 7:39am On Mar 12, 2017
This topic is great... Wish you dropped it for discussion during the week
Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by sotall(m): 7:39am On Mar 12, 2017
It was mere propaganda used to divert attention from Buhari's irrelevant and fultile travels.

9 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by jegz25(m): 7:39am On Mar 12, 2017
let me finish thinking first. I'll comment later

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by yomibelle(f): 7:39am On Mar 12, 2017
politics happened!
Thère isnt any economic decision without a political intuition
There isnt any political decision without an economic intuition
Btwn d Nigerian, Chinese & U.S govt, d deal failed to fall thru

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by ednut1(m): 7:39am On Mar 12, 2017
Was all propaganda

10 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by wayne4loan: 7:39am On Mar 12, 2017
Fayose secretly convinced the chinese government of our incompetent buhari is ........

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by kevoh(m): 7:40am On Mar 12, 2017
undecided I thought it was a chinese Yuan swap and not a Japanese Yen swap. Nothing happened, it's just one of those noise we get to hear from this administration.

19 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by MrIcredible: 7:40am On Mar 12, 2017
Embezzlements..
Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by Nobody: 7:41am On Mar 12, 2017
Its part of APC propaganda

5 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by Compliant(m): 7:41am On Mar 12, 2017
router123:
I didn't get you sir.

But how can is be d major beneficiary when the person am trading with is China?

Kindly rephrase please
Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by mrvitalis(m): 7:41am On Mar 12, 2017
The CNN governor adressed this issues late last year.. And he said its a process to implement and that the process is on going... Ordinary loan takes months not to talk about this stuff

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by Raiders: 7:42am On Mar 12, 2017
US dollars is the world currency. A chinese exporter will not even accept your payment if you try to pay them in their chinese currency. everybody wants the US dollars when it comes to intl trade

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by ikdaddy01(m): 7:44am On Mar 12, 2017
Una don come again to remind us....
Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by johnjay4u2u(m): 7:45am On Mar 12, 2017
Go to church
Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by martineverest(m): 7:45am On Mar 12, 2017
China doesn't use yen. It's yuan not yen.

Govt is likely protecting our local products by avoiding such policy

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by kurajordan(m): 7:45am On Mar 12, 2017
//

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by gratiaeo(m): 7:46am On Mar 12, 2017
it was propaganda from inception

7 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by Mowoe(m): 7:46am On Mar 12, 2017
Too bad me And many of my nairaland brethren know nothing about Foreign exchange and currency bla bla bla
Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by Eazybay(m): 7:46am On Mar 12, 2017
Well, if PMB had followed issues related to governance b4 he became President he would have asked what happened to d previous deal. Dis govt was just trying to b sensational
Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by gratiaeo(m): 7:47am On Mar 12, 2017
Raiders:
US dollars is the world currency. A chinese exporter will not even accept your payment if you try to pay them in their chinese currency. everybody wants the US dollars when it comes to intl trade
you are lying

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by AngelsAndStars(m): 7:47am On Mar 12, 2017
Chinese yuan.
Japanese yen.
take note.

8 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by 1Rebel: 7:47am On Mar 12, 2017
undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by kirchofff(m): 7:48am On Mar 12, 2017
OP correct urself, it's yuan and not yen. Yen in being used buy japan and the former by china.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by AGUBANZE(m): 7:50am On Mar 12, 2017
Nigeria later settled for the european union loan or bond as some will call it

the attention was good for the chinese while it lasted

countries with failed currency like zimbabwe and the rest all trade in dollar and not the chinese yarn or whatever its called

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Naira Swap by murtalaa(m): 7:50am On Mar 12, 2017
router123:
I want to believe that my readers followed the Naira swap issue when it was on last year.

All my adult life I have never seen an economic policy as wise as that.
Note that I don't claim to know all that is involved but what I know is that we where to then get a billion dollar worth of China currency then.
Most of our export are paid for in dollar that is why we have too much pressure on dollar. whereas 60% of it comes from China and as at then the Chinese currency was a third of what the dollar was.
So China was to give us it currency worth a billion dollar in exchange for Naira
Therefore for anything you are bringing from China we use the excess Chinese currency to sort it out.
That will reduce the pressure on dollar a lot since use addly produce things in d us but in China.
I was discussing with a friend asking what happened to the deal. He said US will not be happy with the deal that is why they didn't go ahead with the deal
Government in US have changed hands to a man who doesn't care much about pleasing others. Why can't we strike the deal now.
I need learned people here to educate me
Buhari returned before Osinbajo could summon the yuan file.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

13 Money Lies You Should Stop Telling Yourself By Age 30 / VIN Crisis: Importers Threaten To Shutdown Lagos Markets / Football (+Other Sports) Betting Season 11 Cont'd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.