Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,564 members, 7,809,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default (20849 Views)

Court Seals Shoprite In Umuahia Over Loan Default (photos) / Seven Energy In Trouble Over $445 Million Loan Default / Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by Adesiji77: 8:31am On Mar 14, 2017
Abu Dhabi telecoms group, Etisalat, may sell its stake in Etisalat Nigeria, which has defaulted on a $1.2bn loan, but wants the company’s debt restructured before it does so, Reuters quoted two sources as informing it on Monday.

The Central Bank of Nigeria and the Nigerian Communications Commission on Friday agreed with local banks to pursue a default deal rather than a receivership for Etisalat Nigeria so as not to deter investors and to avoid a wider debt crisis.

Etisalat is due to meet with creditors on Tuesday (today) or Wednesday to discuss the default, the sources said.

It was not clear whether Etisalat, which has a 45 per cent holding in the Nigerian unit after converting a loan to equity in February, would divest completely.

The Senior Vice-President of Etisalat, Ahmed Bin Ali, according to Reuters, declined to comment, while Etisalat Nigeria could not be reached.

“It is at an early stage,” one source said of the sale.

Last week a banking source told Reuters that the Nigerian affiliate of Etisalat had given notice to its lenders that it would miss a payment in February, but the two sides have yet to agree terms.

Etisalat Nigeria signed a $1.2bn medium-term facility with 13 indigenous banks in 2013, which it used to refinance an existing $650m loan and modernise its network.

But an economic downturn, a currency devaluation and dollar shortages on Nigeria’s interbank market led to it missing payment, the Vice-President for regulatory affairs at Etisalat Nigeria, Ibrahim Dikko, said.

Banks involved in the loan include Zenith Bank, GTBank, First Bank, UBA, Fidelity Bank, Access Bank, Ecobank, FCMB, Stanbic IBTC Bank and Union Bank.

Abu Dhabi state investment fund, Mubadala, which has a 40 per cent stake in Etisalat Nigeria, wants a solution found, another source said. Mubadala declined to comment.

Etisalat has been hit hardest among foreign firms by dollar shortages in Nigeria. Firms that invested in the country in the era of high oil prices are struggling to repay loans or keep operating as the oil producer suffers from a slump in oil revenues, hitting its currency and dollar reserves.

Etisalat’s Chief Strategy Officer, Khalifa Hassan al-Forah al-Shamsi, told Reuters that it was making sure that in markets where there were currency fluctuations, operating costs were in local currencies. Though he was not responsible for Nigeria.

Etisalat Nigeria has 20 million subscribers, according to Nigeria’s telecom regulator, making it the country’s number four mobile operator with a 14 per cent market share. South Africa’s MTN has 47 per cent; Globacom, 20 per cent; and Airtel, a subsidiary of India’s Bharti Airtel, 19 per cent.
http://punchng.com/etisalat-may-leave-nigeria-over-1-2bn-loan-default/ lalasticlala, Mynd44, dominique

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by misscrystals(f): 8:34am On Mar 14, 2017
oops sorry

1 Like

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by emeijeh(m): 8:36am On Mar 14, 2017
Upon all the middle east oil money?
Which way?!

28 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by Tazdroid(m): 8:38am On Mar 14, 2017
Hmmm, no wonder Etisalat 1.5gb and 3.5gb data plans increase from 1k and 2k to N1200 and 2,500!

So na sharp sharp una won pay the loan with our money??

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 8:38am On Mar 14, 2017
grin Many would go jobless cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by justi4jesu(f): 8:39am On Mar 14, 2017
That's a pity, people about to loose their jobs.

9 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by MrGreenMavro: 8:39am On Mar 14, 2017
cheesy

Too Bad..The Economic is too harsh to do business, how do we attract FDI's and FPI's, May God help us o angry angry angry

11 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by smartty68(m): 8:39am On Mar 14, 2017
That's the reason for Call/data hike rates
Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by Nobody: 8:39am On Mar 14, 2017
Silly network

4 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by timilehing(m): 8:39am On Mar 14, 2017
Hope a better company will take over
Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by xynerise: 8:39am On Mar 14, 2017
Choi! Now they are talking

2 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 14, 2017
This is rather unfortunate. Etisalat was one of the fastest networks I've ever used until we entered the change era that came with recession. I had to look for other affordable alternative, for some reasons their prices didn't go down but rather up. I guess others like me jumped ship.

So long speed network, it's not your fault that our economy is just as sick as our president, probably even worse. I hope you guys make some kind of comeback or sell the damn company to glo. angry angry

25 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by BestySam(m): 8:40am On Mar 14, 2017
They should leave jare. Stingy network.

7 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by izzou(m): 8:40am On Mar 14, 2017
Where is AMCON when you need them?

2 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by mjabdulk: 8:40am On Mar 14, 2017
hope it will not affect the etisalat users.

2 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by timilehing(m): 8:41am On Mar 14, 2017
justi4jesu:
CROWNWEALTH019:
grin Many would go jobless cheesy
justi4jesu:
Yeah right but many will get a job when new company take over

1 Like

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:42am On Mar 14, 2017
Tazdroid:
Hmmm, no wonder Etisalat 1.5gb and 3.5gb data plans increase from 1k and 2k to N1200 and 2,500!

So na sharp sharp una won pay the loan with our money??
I stopped using their network immediately after then.
No information, nothing. They just switched to favour them.

Etisalat had gone through series of metamorphosis, they are not the same as OLD.
This one's are very stingy. Money money , alot of profits is their top priority.

They got what they deserve undecided

3 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by rookidmart: 8:42am On Mar 14, 2017
Can someone tell me, if they do sell, what would happen to the existing lines on the network?

1 Like

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by justi4jesu(f): 8:43am On Mar 14, 2017
timilehing:
Yeah right but many will get a job when new company take over

Where are the new companies?

4 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by yim(f): 8:43am On Mar 14, 2017
mjabdulk:
hope it will not affect the etisalat users.
And workers too

1 Like

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by herdekunley9ja(m): 8:44am On Mar 14, 2017
etisalat never see chuntin grin

4 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by ring7(m): 8:44am On Mar 14, 2017
*sigh* thought it was Mtn.
Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by itiswellandwell: 8:44am On Mar 14, 2017
Hmmmm
Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by Osasnidas(m): 8:45am On Mar 14, 2017
lol.. dem no even get better package na why dem dey deduct person credit, come give An one silly excuse. like "dear customer you subscribed to baba ijebu lotto" 100ngn/SMS

1 Like

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by Ngasky(m): 8:47am On Mar 14, 2017
Foreign companies should learn to transact with local currency. Imagine a company in US or Europe trying to pay staffs with yen or yuan or ruble
Nigeria needs to ban any local transaction with foreign currency

8 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by LordCenturion(m): 8:48am On Mar 14, 2017
They will sell the company,

Actually, something strange happen to me yesterday, I wanted to play PES 2017 on my laptop yesterday, i choosed ARSENAL & the computer automatically select BAYERN MUNICH as my opponent. when it finished loading, my players refused to come out...

27 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by donkossy(m): 8:49am On Mar 14, 2017
ωнσ тнєу єρρ вєfσяє

1 Like

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by Ngokafor(f): 8:50am On Mar 14, 2017
...Another victim of buhari's incompetence..na wa.

6 Likes

Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by ipobarecriminals: 8:50am On Mar 14, 2017
sad cool good for them
Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by nkemjacob2(m): 8:50am On Mar 14, 2017
banks hv bought d netwrk.. no need for panic
Re: Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default by Daviestunech(m): 8:50am On Mar 14, 2017
Dats so bad...

I will urge Dem to solve their problems,cus dis Etisalat unlimited cheat I dey rock here,dey swit me die.. grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ever Bought Something Of Inferior Quality Unknowingly? Share Your Experiences. / 69 Countries Propel Nigeria To Become Africa’s Financial Centre / Entrepreneur Turns Boeing 747-Jet To A 27-room Hostel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.