Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,757 members, 7,802,315 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:23 PM

7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed (14025 Views)

Nigerian High Commission London Changes Staff Status To “self-employed” / How I Resigned From My #55,000 Job To Become Self Employed / What Are The Advantages Of B.tech Over B.sc In Civil Service? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by metallisc(m): 8:01am On Mar 15, 2017
Dyt:
You wake up anytime
angry angry angry

I am dozing off here
cry cry

Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by sakalisis(m): 8:01am On Mar 15, 2017
Good
Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by Nobody: 8:07am On Mar 15, 2017
magazineguy:
It can be a really tough dilemma, having to choose between seeking employment and starting something of your own. Thoughts of the rigor of starting a business and having to shoulder the tireless work of building the business often scares people from making it a choice. It is easier and more convenient to submit resumes and appear at interviews. But this option too has its deterrents.

The alarming rate of unemployment in the country makes every job opening a fierce competition between applicants. Applicants that sometimes turn out to be overqualified for the job, but the seething frustration of having failed numerous times to secure a job from previous job seeking ventures makes them settle for the available job. At that point they would have thought half bread is better than none.

It is often discovered while on such faute de mieux job that there is a missing element. Some employees in that situation complain of lack of passion for the job, some grow to feel underpaid, while some others tend to struggle with the demands of the job. Employees don’t usually find any of these situations comfortable. It leads them to look for a way out and the way out in many cases, brings them back to initial dilemma, getting another job or starting up a business.

Finding oneself in a reoccurring space of job related complications can really be frustrating, asides from the pity figure one appears to be to friends and acquaintances; it drains happiness out of such individual. This is perhaps the reason starting a business is a better option, if that dream job is not available. Although entrepreneurship is usually tough at the nascent stage of the business, it pays off eventually. Research has shown that 36% of people that start businesses earn more than they would be have earned as an employee. Some other benefits of being self-employed are:

You are the boss

One of the reasons people make the entrepreneurship move is to get freedom from a difficult work condition. Starting up a job of your own spares you of the complications of working with a difficult boss. When you’re self-employed, you no longer have a “higher-up” governing your every move. You control how your work is done, which is a contributing factor to general job satisfaction.

You choose your clients or customers

As an employee, you are bound to attend to anybody that shows up for business at your employer’s place, whether or not you like the person or the nature of the deal. But being an employer affords you the opportunity to choose your clients and determine the type of business relationship shared with other companies. You choose who you provide services to.

You are more valued

As a freelancer, you’re allowed a wider space to work i.e. you can get a job done with more freedom than working as a staff-in employee. This also contributes to overall job satisfaction.

Another satisfying benefit of being a freelancer is that you get credit for your own work. Also as you make reach-out efforts, you’ve even started to earn some name recognition, not just among your long-time clients, but from complete strangers as well.

You set your own schedule

Whether you have preference for a fixed schedule, or you prefer to mix it up with flexible long hours; as your own boss, you get to choose the option of work scheduling you deem suitable for work.

You choose the work condition

Being the owner of the job affords you the option to choose the work condition, i.e. determining the condition of work area, the staff character, the availability of equipment and instruments. Also it could also be found beneficial to determine how early the needed instruments are made available.

It allows you diversify

Being self-employed gives you the allowance to attempt new business adoptions. For instance, diversification in business which is related to business growth, is much easier exercised at the intended time, when you own the business and not that the power of decision making is shared or not in possession.

Also being self-employed does less to restrict the extent of your business diversification. You, as an employer, are allowed a relatively free-hand in business decision making.

You earn more money

According to the statistics on bidsketch, on the average freelancers earn 45% more than those who are traditionally employed.

Also, as an employer you can make certain deductions from business expenses that employees cannot, thereby keeping more of what is earned.

source: http://tushmagazine.com.ng/7-advantages-self-employed/

seun, lalasticala, mynd44
A good one here. Unfortunately, not many people can bite the bullet. The true path to freedom is being self-employed. Those who dared the challenges are the richest and the most-comfortable today, globally. I left my employment almost a decade ago, at the time when my salary was running smoothly with an official car which I was given brand new. I didn't have any issues, I was performing excellently but one thing was always lacking in me....self-fulfilment. I was always thinking despite the robust salary package, something was still missing... I wasn't still fulfilled. My resignation was a rude shock to my colleagues who advised I reverse my decision but I stood my ground. I didn't even have up to 200k in my account while I was leaving the company, no single car, no investments. As I was earning the big salary, so I was spending all, because my taste also was high. I drank gari for almost six months but I didn't look back. Now, it's all success story. I thank God! Those I left behind in that company now envy me because they're still in same position I left them. Amazingly, their responsibilities keep mounting. Self-employment is the fastest(though, tough) way to mount the rich and comfortable ladder to the top in life

2 Likes

Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by LUCASC(m): 8:09am On Mar 15, 2017
Nice one OP, infact am about to start up my electrical contractor and supply business, tired of earning peanuts and and answering sir all the time.
Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by OLAFIMIX(f): 8:16am On Mar 15, 2017
My decision this year, to build my fashion empire.
Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by IBreakRules: 8:17am On Mar 15, 2017
its my 7th month in the business I started. I must confess that being self employed isn't for the weak. Starting to list what I have faced so far could take a whole page but I believe these are sacrifices I have to make now while I enjoy the benefits later.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by ogologoamu: 8:36am On Mar 15, 2017
Elnida:
you are the boss...this part is very vital. I hate when all this employers keep shouting,yelling and insulting their staff at the slightest of provocation. And they keep making noise about how they are paying you and all that crap, especially when a friend of theirs is present.. how is the salary self,U go dey wonder..mtcheeww. this is my target but no capital yet.. undecided

I hate been caged in the name of working for my fellow man. It pisses me off when I am been used.
Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by ogologoamu: 8:42am On Mar 15, 2017
Dyt:
You wake up anytime
angry angry angry

I am dozing off here
cry cry

Take am easy make them no calculate how many times you've dozed off and debit your account. lolz
Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by Dyt(f): 9:05am On Mar 15, 2017

Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by Nobody: 9:15am On Mar 15, 2017
idbami2:
8. You don't have to pay tax.. (In Nigeria, though)

Who said this, so you don't pay all the council levies they bring to you?

Any one that agrees to the "You are your own boss stuff" "has not started business yet cheesy

1 Like

Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by idbami2(m): 9:17am On Mar 15, 2017
Ermacc:
electricity bill, sanitation bill, vigilante bill, etc, those are called what?

Tax and bills are the same thing?
Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by metallisc(m): 9:21am On Mar 15, 2017
[quote author=Dyt post=54604302][/quote]

Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by amazingspiderma: 9:22am On Mar 15, 2017
Some few more points
1.you have to be willing to drink garri and still strive to keep a smile on customer's face.
2. You have to be ready to accept the fact that people especially family member will call you a lunatic for choosing to believe in a dream that only can see.
3.Self education is a must, you are the teacher and the student all at the same time.
4. Upgrading your skills especially computer skill for record keeping. Your will amazed at what data management skill can do for you.
5. Watch your spending habit, your comfort must be compromised. You can't make it on a sofa. You will only make it in the field, with blood sweat and tears.

1 Like

Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by idbami2(m): 9:27am On Mar 15, 2017
Pidgin2:

Who said this, so you don't pay all the council levies they bring to you?

Any one that agrees to the "You are your own boss stuff" "has not started business yet cheesy

Lool.. "Be yyour own boss"

Buht the thing is, yyou can't compare waht salary earners pay as tax to waht traders, or drivers, fr example, pay..

1 Like

Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by Ermacc: 9:39am On Mar 15, 2017
idbami2:

Tax and bills are the same thing?
maybe i should have used security tax, electricity tax, sanitation tax, development tax etc. Call them tax, bills, levies or whatever, self employed people do pay it.

1 Like

Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by Dyt(f): 9:42am On Mar 15, 2017

Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 15, 2017
stan567:
Nice one OP...am proud to be an *ENTREPRENEUR*
bro, what are u into pls?
Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by CellTabRepairs: 10:41am On Mar 15, 2017
A bank manager called me yesterday and vented all frustrations with the job and said, if I can I would just resign. 1 billion naira is expected target for performance appraisal. It is not about getting the job but doing some outrageous things for little BUT CANNOT pick up a product or service on your own and sell for yourself! Life is about selling no matter your education or work. So you either get assigned a task by someone or choose your hustle(a task) and excel.

I know the potentials in what I am promoting as I have seen firsthand lives changed through this. Everyone may not be cut out for it but most people who are totally confused and not in the least aware of what next to do can package a solid business out of this work. No kidding. With your education you can run those foreign service outlets out of town who instill more confidence in their services, build a system into it, make so much money and employ you since you see yourself only good enough with a certificate!

So...
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
Are U looking for a job? Between 18-50 yrs?Are U a graduate or secondary school leaver?Are U retired, sacked or tired of salary work? U want a biz with high returns, skill as capital, lowest startup costs? ■Make average10k ($30-$50)or more daily■Meet high net worth individuals[opportunities in people]■Grow in IT knowledge■Be highly sought after [Money looking for U].■Employ others! Just get "Mobile Phones & Tablets Repairs : A Complete Guide for Beginners and Professionals" from Amazon marketplaces, Barnes & Noble, eBay etc today & LEARN HOW TO EARN thru this bestselling book! Don't waste 1 WHOLE yr waiting for a (THAT) job !

Click My Name & View That Resource You Need!
Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by shagasha: 12:01pm On Mar 15, 2017
Ermacc:
electricity bill, sanitation bill, vigilante bill, etc, those are called what?

its ur coy dat pays tax nt u
Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by Worthywork: 12:06pm On Mar 15, 2017
Hello,
TGIF JOB BRUNCH MEETING 2ND EDITION
Calling on All Entrepreneurs (established and upcoming) and Job Seekers to attend a One Hour interactive TGIF meeting with 2 Top HR Gurus with 25 years Hands On experience in Corporate Nigeria

This interactive meeting is targeted at
• THE UNEMPLOYED,
• ENTREPRENEUR
• THOSE WHO ARE CHALLENGED (WORK OR BUSINESS)

The Benefits of this program are
• Having A One-On-One Meeting With HR Industry Experts
• On The Spot Interviews
• Business And Career Consulting

Date: 17th March 2017
Time: 11 Am
Venue: Lagos. Upon Registration, Venue Will Be Disclosed As Well As Necessary Information.

ATTENDANCE IS FREE BUT REQUIRES REGISTRATION.
Book your space by sending your name and number to admin@eleanorthompson.org
Remember it is a FREE class. Come prepared.
There is light lunch available.
Admin
Eleanor Thompson
Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by idbami2(m): 1:13pm On Mar 15, 2017
Ermacc:
maybe i should have used security tax, electricity tax, sanitation tax, development tax etc. Call them tax, bills, levies or whatever, self employed people do pay it.

Salary earners don't?

I am not out to argue about stuffs like this, buht truth be told, thr's a wide margin between waht salary earnrs and self employed guys pay..

PS: Thrre's a difference between tax and the bills yyou pay fr services..
Re: 7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 15, 2017
Everyone knows the pros and cons of being self-employed, the former outweighing the former, but the elements to successfully put up an entrepreneurial venture is not easy to put together.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Enormous Salaries Of BankPHB / How I Was Scammed By A German Company (payever) / How Much Does An Estate Surveyor And Valuers Earn Per Month In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.