Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,356 members, 7,780,962 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:25 AM

Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners (20301 Views)

Are These The Worst Paint Jobs Ever Done On Cars? / The 10 Wonders Nigerian Khaz Custom Did On Cars With Wraps (pictures) / Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by BetaThings: 9:00am On Mar 16, 2017
tete7000:

I renewed mine in January and didn't have anything like that. By the way I can chose to renew my paper elsewhere. It is not mandatory I do it in Lagos. Whenever I go to Ibadan or Abeokuta, I just cease the opportunity to do it. Lagos and extortion are like 5 and 6.

It is a federal law - some other states are already collecting it
Others may start soon given the need to increase IGR problem

The only way to avoid is register your car outside Nigeria. hahahaha
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by kenmaro: 9:00am On Mar 16, 2017
Omonigeriarere:

Stop swimming in the pool of ignorance: I paid TV and radio tax as far back as year 2000 when I have not even stepped my toes in Lagos.

It is constitutional: the only issue i have with them is that LG is supposed to be in charge of the collection and not SG.

Because you have been paying it ignorantly as far back as 2000 doesn't mean it was right. This is a different era we are and some wrongs which were done as a result of our past leaders greed need to be corrected. Their wasn't anything like 13% derivation for oil producing areas when oil was found & explored in Nigeria. The federal government was all alone receiving all receivables from oil proceeds & exploration until recent times when the 13% derivation was agreed on. Moreover, it could have been constitutional written that radio & tv taxes are to be paid but mind you our constitution is not rigid as it could be ammended when the need arises.
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by pattybf(f): 9:08am On Mar 16, 2017
tete7000:

I renewed mine in January and didn't have anything like that. By the way I can chose to renew my paper elsewhere. It is not mandatory I do it in Lagos. Whenever I go to Ibadan or Abeokuta, I just cease the opportunity to do it. Lagos and extortion are like 5 and 6.

it started march 13th, just 3days ago!
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by wealthywiseman: 9:12am On Mar 16, 2017
LaEvilIMiss:
If you cannot generate revenue from providing paid services, tax the hell out of your citiziens grin grin grin Ambode taking cue from RCCG

I can't agree with you more. Rather than source service provision schemes that would help generate income for the state and provide jobs, they recourse to just milking the citizenry with taxes.
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by tete7000(m): 9:26am On Mar 16, 2017
pattybf:

it started march 13th, just 3days ago!
Lucky me. cheesy
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by tete7000(m): 9:28am On Mar 16, 2017
BetaThings:

It is a federal law - some other states are already collecting it
Others may start soon given the need to increase IGR problem

The only way to avoid is register your car outside Nigeria. hahahaha

This country sef. Wetin entitled them to collecting tarrif on car radio. Bunch of extortionists.
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by gudofuck231: 9:33am On Mar 16, 2017
sanmisamuel:
Be aware of the latest development

Lagos state as commenced the charging of 500 naira on the use of radio in every car. A radio license fee will be collected with your vehicle license whenever you renew your papers. on the bottom right you shall see it written.

You can also renew your papers online with regexpress.com.ng and have your papers delivered to your door-step call 07031650038 for more details.

http://regexpress.com.ng/2017/03/15/lagos-state-govt-charge-extra-money-cars-owners/

Let's hear it from bubu
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by gudofuck231: 9:36am On Mar 16, 2017
sanmisamuel:
Be aware of the latest development

Lagos state as commenced the charging of 500 naira on the use of radio in every car. A radio license fee will be collected with your vehicle license whenever you renew your papers. on the bottom right you shall see it written.

You can also renew your papers online with regexpress.com.ng and have your papers delivered to your door-step call 07031650038 for more details.

http://regexpress.com.ng/2017/03/15/lagos-state-govt-charge-extra-money-cars-owners/

Let's put our hands together for bubu
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by akarich007(m): 9:49am On Mar 16, 2017
nurey:

I doubt if this will work, its illegal, i am waiting for the lawyers in the house to take the case to court, let the case be pending in court till jesus comes grin

It is not illegal o, it is a decree signed in 1998 under the Tax and Levies decree No 21 of 1998, under part III, section 15. Vehicle radio license fees (to be imposed by the Local Government of the State in which the car is registered)

Modified: Those of you quoting me, continue, its not about the money, its about the sensible thinking. The government has already collected VAT for all this thing in the custom fees, registration and licensing now tell me what sensible thing is there in collecting tax for having a radio in a car? I still dont get, if the governement wanted to tax those with speaker advertising their wares, am ok with that but taxing me to use radio my car came with defiles all logic undecided

Nigerians wake up, let us support the Government for logical things and not backward thinking, the government refused to provide portable drinking water but it was quick to attach a fee (permit) to borehole the Nigerian government from federal to your ward representative are only fighting for their pocket rubbish
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by nurey(m): 10:03am On Mar 16, 2017
[quote author=akarich007 post=54637659][/quote]

i have heard the decree, its so illogical undecided, but what do i know am just a law abiding citizen cool
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by pattybf(f): 10:35am On Mar 16, 2017
tete7000:

Lucky me. cheesy

U will renew next year na!

and u might even buy another vehicle anytime soon.

No way to escape it!
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by bigtt76(f): 10:49am On Mar 16, 2017
Soon they will be charging licence fee for radio on our mobile phone grin as well as direct DSTV to charge TV licence fee on all subscriptions. tongue
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by sshalom(m): 11:23am On Mar 16, 2017
As long as the money is used to improve the road infrastructures all over the state - Ba wahala!
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by metallisc(m): 1:40pm On Mar 16, 2017
izzou:
Ambode is working

He should charge us for radio license fees on our phones

He will make more money

and car tyre tax as well, N500 for each tyre cheesy.... since that is what the car uses to move on the government owned road - built with tax payers money! grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by metallisc(m): 1:44pm On Mar 16, 2017
Lexusgs430:
Ambode would soon start to charge Lagosians for the air we breathe........

...that will be after implementing sunshine tax, since most people are switching to solar power! cool

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by metallisc(m): 2:04pm On Mar 16, 2017
kenmaro:

Because you have been paying it ignorantly as far back as 2000 doesn't mean it was right. This is a different era we are and some wrongs which were done as a result of our past leaders greed need to be corrected. Their wasn't anything like 13% derivation for oil producing areas when oil was found & explored in Nigeria. The federal government was all alone receiving all receivables from oil proceeds & exploration until recent times when the 13% derivation was agreed on. Moreover, it could have been constitutional written that radio & tv taxes are to be paid but mind you our constitution is not rigid as it could be ammended when the need arises.

TV/RADIO license tax is actually collected in countries where the government owns and funds advert-free broadcasting like the BBC in the UK and SABC in South Africa. There is no broadcasting house in this country doing advert-free broadcasting- not even NTA or Radio Nigeria, hence the tax is baseless and illegal in this clime.

On the issue of derivation, Oil producing areas were collecting upwards of 60-something percent in the 50's/60's and that percentage has reduced with subsequent regimes and administrations driven by the greed from the north and is unfortunately at 13% as at today. If you dig deeper, with a better understanding of nigeria's history, then you will begin to understand why the niger-deltans keep giving the government sleepless nights. It is sad because a whole lot of nigerians don't even know what has been going on. Now you have a fair idea why they are killing history in the schools curriculum!

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by akigbemaru: 3:22pm On Mar 16, 2017
Stupid law
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by 9jabull: 4:09pm On Mar 16, 2017
The way & manner present Lagos state government has plans to generate revenue is alarming.
A bill is on now in Lagos house of Assembly that permit & tax should be collected before you drill a borehole in your compound and selling water in tankers.
But they failed to provide basic amenities of which one of them is providing pipe borne water, so why should they collect money from you for failing to do what you did.
And now car radio, it will make new buyers of cars to shift to other states for car registration.
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by iaatmguy(m): 5:08pm On Mar 16, 2017
priceaction:
Trust me, dead on arrival. Some lawyers will take it up and they will win clearly just like the case of environmental sanitation.
for where? What of lasrii registration of 1k why didn't the lawyers fight it.
Or are you saying after collecting class G driver's license I will still pay one thousand naira? Now imagine I go to all states.
#Doubletaxation
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by iaatmguy(m): 5:09pm On Mar 16, 2017
Ekpekus:
As far the money is well utilized, no wahala... but make dem reason people for this country na
it will be utilized in having convoy of vehicles, and also paying the governors pension for SERVING his nation
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by ollyruffy: 8:07pm On Mar 17, 2017
This is pure nonsense. Having a radio in a car is now considered a luxury? when radio is a default part of every vehicle from the factory. Why can't Ambode also tax people on brake pedals and steering wheel?
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by semasir: 7:38am On Mar 18, 2017
Happy belated birthday mate.... We rep March 16th. Better late than never though.

Kemimarch16:
Today is my birthday please show me some love
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by egheneezekielsu: 11:16am On Mar 18, 2017
Do you need a website for your business ? or A website of anykind Contact me on whatsapp via 08037205687 or phone call
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by Kemimarch16(f): 12:36pm On Mar 19, 2017
wow that's good
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by Kemimarch16(f): 7:19pm On Mar 26, 2017
HBD my month mate
Re: Lagos State Govt To Charge Extra Money On Cars Owners by sanmisamuel: 1:59am On Sep 19, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit / The Real People Who Were Used As Car Crash Test Dummies In 1970s Germany / Please Advice: What Car Should I Buy For Mom ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.