Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,210 members, 7,780,378 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:18 PM

Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians (12767 Views)

Where Can I Buy An Automatic Compressor For My Camry 2008? / Car Compressor - Manual Or Automatic? / Man Added External Air Conditioner And Generator To His Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by bravolad(m): 1:17pm On Mar 15, 2017
From research, I observe that most A/c technicians resort to converting the automatic compressor that comes with the 2007 upwards Toyota Camry. When the A/c compressor that comes with these models of Camry is faulty, the owner is advised to buy the manual compresssor.

The manual compressor works differently from the automatic one. The Auto compressor is more effective and stable during load conditions. However, the argument is that the manual compressor can be repaired in an event of a break down.

I strongly believe that most of these technicians are quacks or are lazy to study how the auto-compressor operates.

Again, from experience and observation, experience mechanics can tell when a compressor has been converted. For instance, when I was in the market for a 2011/2012 Camry, I inspected a 2012 Camry for which Gazzuzz was to do a PPI for me but when I described the behaviour of the car when you turn on the air conditioner of the car, he simply told me to walk away from that deal. I probed further to find out that they had converted the auto compressor to manual.

For people like Gazzuzz & all those who has first hand experience with this sort of conversion, especially car owners; please come in and comment.

Personally, I'm averse to conversions and I run away from mechanics who suggest such.
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by diportivo: 1:47pm On Mar 15, 2017
Make I park my 1983 vw Santana here

And learn from the ogas dem

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by searchng4love: 1:54pm On Mar 15, 2017
diportivo:

And lesen from the ogas dem
Eww what happened to your millennia Mazda
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by bravolad(m): 2:12pm On Mar 15, 2017
diportivo:

And lesen from the ogas dem

Very funny indeed!
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by diportivo: 2:17pm On Mar 15, 2017
searchng4love:

Eww what happened to your millennia Mazda

Neva owned a millennia

U get one to dash me? undecided
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by diportivo: 2:20pm On Mar 15, 2017
bravolad:

Very funny indeed!

I use a converted compressor in my 2004 xterra and its serving me well

Conversion was done without my knowledge tho.I noticed and asked after I saw some funny welding signs that were not on the hose b4

Rpm/ICS wahala no dey

Tech's claim is that for that particular car,the "follow-come" doesn't last
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by Inception(m): 2:25pm On Mar 15, 2017
To give my candid opinion:
Stick with the manufacture's specification. When the AC of my Camry went bad (2007 4 cylinder), i immediately joined the bandwagon of 'manual compressor the Last well well...' Well i changed it to that of 2004 Toyota Camry(same 2AZ engine). Then to Peugeot(When the Vibration Became too much to bear, even after the solenoid connection setup).
Well after the Peugeot one failed(twice), I had to Buzz Gazzuz to help me out, and he sourced an ultra-clean Automatic compressor off a japan spec 2AZ engine(no warranty! that guy too like his reputation sha!). Got it over to PH, Fixed it, changed my condenser, flushed the system,Vacuumed the system, filled with gas and GBAM! the car is back to Factory spec(even in the Hot weather, AC freezes) and most importantly, no vibrations.
It will cost you when doing it right the first time, But it will be the only time.

One more thing :
Gazzuz is the man!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:34pm On Mar 15, 2017
thank you inception.

Here are my views as regards variable displacement compressors (automatic)

In the corrola 2007-11 south african spec, what I have noticed is between 70-100 thousand kilometers of use, the compressor fails.

On the kia/hyundai products bought brand new in nigeria, the compressor fails between 36-70,000 kilometers of use

for the particular car in question camry 07-12 I have seen a couple that were bought brand new fail before they hit 100,000kms.

For cars bought from cold climates like Canada their a/c systems tend to last much longer due to lack of use by the original owner and I have seen toyota camry @ 295,000 miles with stock AC parts.

The VDC compressor is new technology, but not very reliable.

Now here is the problem. The VDC compressor does not tolerate a contaminated system, and the strainer for the solenoid that operates the swash plate will get clogged very quickly and the compressor will shut down.

When a VDC compressor fails, if the system is clean, a replacement of the compressor and condenser should ordinarily fix the problem.

But when the system is dirty you will have serious issues, and more parts will have to be replaced. A replacement of the evaporator condenser, and compressor becomes necessary, with a proper flush of all pipes.

Most technicians prefers to work with parts that can be tested by hand before parting with money. As a result they frown at the VDC compressor because ordinarily it can only be tested when installed in a vehicle (VDC compressors can be tested on a bench with a motor and a belt to create torque)

Also the thought of bringing down the dashboard in most cases makes the technician embrace the manual fixed displacement compressor.

The manual. FDC compressor can tolerate a lot of dirt in a system for a long time without breaking down. I am presently working on a hilux made in 2014, at 98,000km (mechanical work) but I peaked into the a.c system, and on discharging a little gas from the high side, my fingers became very black. Note the a.c cools perfectly.

There is no way of knowing how long a compressor has been used by just looking at it, for the manual FDC blocking the discharge point while spinning the pulley could give a perception of the amount of compression one would get from a compressor.

Another issue with the VDC is no seller in the ladipo market will give you a guarantee on a used compressor. There is distrust between seller and buyer, seller always feels the technician would cut corners, while buyer feels he was sold a defective part, it does not always end well in most cases.

If your vehicle uses a VDC (automatic compressor) and it fails, have it at the back of your mind that a new replacement will be the best option, but it comes a pricey tag, the cheapest brand new VDC starts from 100k for the look alike chinko versions, and gets to about 250k for some OEMs.

So it's more of cut your coat according to your size.

If you can afford it and you are ready to do it the right way, go for the best/ OEM.

Hope this helps.

Gazzuzz

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by searchng4love: 6:11pm On Mar 15, 2017
diportivo:

Neva owned a millennia

U get one to dash me? undecided
undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by bravolad(m): 7:02pm On Mar 15, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
thank you inception.

Here are my views as regards variable displacement compressors (automatic)

In the corrola 2007-11 south african spec, what I have noticed is between 70-100 thousand kilometers of use, the compressor fails.

On the kia/hyundai products bought brand new in nigeria, the compressor fails between 36-70,000 kilometers of use

for the particular car in question camry 07-12 I have seen a couple that were bought brand new fail before they hit 100,000kms.

For cars bought from cold climates like Canada their a/c systems tend to last much longer due to lack of use by the original owner and I have seen toyota camry @ 295,000 miles with stock AC parts.

The VDC compressor is new technology, but not very reliable.

Now here is the problem. The VDC compressor does not tolerate a contaminated system, and the strainer for the solenoid that operates the swash plate will get clogged very quickly and the compressor will shut down.

When a VDC compressor fails, if the system is clean, a replacement of the compressor and condenser should ordinarily fix the problem.

But when the system is dirty you will have serious issues, and more parts will have to be replaced. A replacement of the evaporator condenser, and compressor becomes necessary, with a proper flush of all pipes.

Most technicians prefers to work with parts that can be tested by hand before parting with money. As a result they frown at the VDC compressor because ordinarily it can only be tested when installed in a vehicle (VDC compressors can be tested on a bench with a motor and a belt to create torque)

Also the thought of bringing down the dashboard in most cases makes the technician embrace the manual fixed displacement compressor.

The manual. FDC compressor can tolerate a lot of dirt in a system for a long time without breaking down. I am presently working on a hilux made in 2014, at 98,000km (mechanical work) but I peaked into the a.c system, and on discharging a little gas from the high side, my fingers became very black. Note the a.c cools perfectly.

There is no way of knowing how long a compressor has been used by just looking at it, for the manual FDC blocking the discharge point while spinning the pulley could give a perception of the amount of compression one would get from a compressor.

Another issue with the VDC is no seller in the ladipo market will give you a guarantee on a used compressor. There is distrust between seller and buyer, seller always feels the technician would cut corners, while buyer feels he was sold a defective part, it does not always end well in most cases.

If your vehicle uses a VDC (automatic compressor) and it fails, have it at the back of your mind that a new replacement will be the best option, but it comes a pricey tag, the cheapest brand new VDC starts from 100k for the look alike chinko versions, and gets to about 250k for some OEMs.

So it's more of cut your coat according to your size.

If you can afford it and you are ready to do it the right way, go for the best/ OEM.

Hope this helps.

Gazzuzz

Thanks a lot @Gazzuzz for this in depth analyses. But herein lies the problem; cost of the Variable Displacement Compressor.

But one question: is there anyway to keep the system from getting contaminated? At least, this will ensure we use it for a long time before replacement.

Another major concern is, with your in depth analyses, how many A/c technicians truly understand this? from the point of view of your explanation.

Frankly speaking, it's scary after your insight. I have seen a number of people who replaced the faulty VDC with the FDC and their aircon have not been the same.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by makavele: 12:32am On Mar 16, 2017
bravolad:

. . . I have seen a number of people who replaced the faulty VDC with the FDC and their aircon have not been the same.

says who ? grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by oNj(m): 7:28pm On Mar 16, 2017
One major factor with these "automatic compressors" is the viscosity of oil used in them. Just like the engine/transmission that require certain grades of oil, the compressors have recommended oils too.
In fact most of the "contaminations" found in the system is as a result of wrong grade of oil filled in the compressor, which is often the old/wrong thicker oils our people are used to. These oils are too thick which makes the parts grind themselves to death.

2 Likes

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by mayor2013: 9:26pm On Mar 16, 2017
oNj:
One major factor with these "automatic compressors" is the viscosity of oil used in them. Just like the engine/transmission that require certain grades of oil, the compressors have recommended oils too.
In fact most of the "contaminations" found in the system is as a result of wrong grade of oil filled in the compressor, which is often the old/wrong thicker oils our people are used to. These oils are too thick which makes the parts grind themselves to death.

Asides oil. Refrigerant, authenticity of d parts installed, and so many other factors. Refrigerant plays a major role. Have seen fake refrigerants when introduced you see burning flames coming out and some also choke your ac system to death. My car would be 4yrs by August and I have used same compressor that came with the car at time of purchase. Condenser only changed

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by SmartchoicesNG: 7:53am On Mar 21, 2017
mayor2013:

d
Morning
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by SmartchoicesNG: 7:55am On Mar 21, 2017
mayor2013:

Asides oil. d
I need honda civic engine D14A2 .... Can you aassist please?
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by chillex8(m): 9:22am On May 02, 2017
I have a Toyota camry (2007-2011) VDC (automatic) compressor for sale @ #100,000.

With 2weeks warranty..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by tolulinks(m): 1:47am On May 03, 2017
chillex8:
I have a Toyota camry (2007-2011) VDC (automatic) compressor for sale @ #100,000.

With 2weeks warranty..

Chimooooo
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by chillex8(m): 7:27am On May 03, 2017
Yes. Mileage at removal was 89,000 original miles...
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:30am On May 03, 2017
chillex8:
Yes. Mileage at removal was 89,000 original miles...

25k offer and I'm generous.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by michaelchinedu(m): 7:52am On May 03, 2017
1999 toyota camry for sale available at an auction rate of 450,000 naira with full option to place an order you can contact on +2347036879479 Or you Can WhatsApp me too thank you.
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by chillex8(m): 9:09am On May 03, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

25k offer and I'm generous.

Lol. But No bruh
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by Cumboss: 10:20pm On Jul 29, 2017
Well am confused right now because a friend changed his to a manual compressor and it's been working perfectly for 2 months,mine just got bad and the price of the automatic compressor is outrageous �with what Gazzuzz is saying now dunno what to do
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by bravolad(m): 5:56am On Jul 30, 2017
Cumboss:
Well am confused right now because a friend changed his to a manual compressor and it's been working perfectly for 2 months,mine just got bad and the price of the automatic compressor is outrageous �with what Gazzuzz is saying now dunno what to do

You need not be confused. It's your choice as roadies will try to persuade you about the need for the conversion. Depending on funds availability, it's almost always best to stick with the manufacturer's specs of parts or a Genuine OEM.

One of the major components of the use of the manual compressor is the car must experience some jerking when the aircon is turned on plus an additional load on the engine. This I think is the bane of the engine in the long run. At idle with the aircon turned on, car may experience some vibration.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by Cumboss: 6:41am On Jul 30, 2017
Yes the vibration is there a bit but so was it when my automatic compressor was there. I understand the need to get the specified compressor for the car but considering how things are now I might just opt for the manual for now and get the automatic when things look up�
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by bravolad(m): 2:42pm On Jul 30, 2017
Cumboss:
Yes the vibration is there a bit but so was it when my automatic compressor was there. I understand the need to get the specified compressor for the car but considering how things are now I might just opt for the manual for now and get the automatic when things look up�

Things are actually very tight right now. You could get a Toks & compare prices. I'm not sure the price diff in Toks between the VDC & Manual FDC is much.

Get a technician who understands the system to help u compare notes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by Messijoseph56: 3:34pm On Aug 23, 2018
The vibration sound on mahal AC when fixed is it for a while and stop when driving or continuous as the car is on ?
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by Kewtt: 10:56pm On Aug 23, 2018
oga 4get story...hope you bought d manual compy ....

Cumboss:
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by Messijoseph56: 12:23am On Aug 24, 2018
@kewtt what do you mean please ?
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by ndidibabe(f): 12:45pm On Oct 05, 2018
Inception:
To give my candid opinion:
Stick with the manufacture's specification. When the AC of my Camry went bad (2007 4 cylinder), i immediately joined the bandwagon of 'manual compressor the Last well well...' Well i changed it to that of 2004 Toyota Camry(same 2AZ engine). Then to Peugeot(When the Vibration Became too much to bear, even after the solenoid connection setup).
Well after the Peugeot one failed(twice), I had to Buzz Gazzuz to help me out, and he sourced an ultra-clean Automatic compressor off a japan spec 2AZ engine(no warranty! that guy too like his reputation sha!). Got it over to PH, Fixed it, changed my condenser, flushed the system,Vacuumed the system, filled with gas and GBAM! the car is back to Factory spec(even in the Hot weather, AC freezes) and most importantly, no vibrations.
It will cost you when doing it right the first time, But it will be the only time.

One more thing :
Gazzuz is the man!
Is the AC still working perfectly??
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by lillyontop(m): 2:48pm On Oct 05, 2018
A friend of mine sold a 2012 Corolla south Africa spec which was brought from Germaine motor which the compressor has been converted to manual compressor and seriously the ac cools like winter even when it's sunny I don't turn it on max 2 most times 1 the only difference I see is that the sound of the engine is not a quiet as the other Corolla with the original compressor....... and his there any effect it can cause on my engine but the car sounds fine and moves great @gazzuz

1 Like

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by Inception(m): 4:04pm On Oct 05, 2018
ndidibabe:
Is the AC still working perfectly??
car has since been sold.
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by bravolad(m): 7:05am On Oct 06, 2018
lillyontop:
A friend of mine sold a 2012 Corolla south Africa spec which was brought from Germaine motor which the compressor has been converted to manual compressor and seriously the ac cools like winter even when it's sunny I don't turn it on max 2 most times 1 the only difference I see is that the sound of the engine is not a quiet as the other Corolla with the original compressor....... and his there any effect it can cause on my engine but the car sounds fine and moves great @gazzuz

My fear is a weakened engine over time with an increased fuel consumption.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car / Camry 99 Thermostat Removal / After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.