Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,385 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! (25358 Views)

NASFAT Members Desert Their Homes To Celebrate Sallah In IDP Camp At Durumi Dist / Kaduna Muslims Celebrate Death Of Governor / Muslims Celebrate New Year 1433 After Hijra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by gombos: 11:50pm On Dec 18, 2009
Bismillah

As-Salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu.

I wish for you best of Imaan and health, inshaAllah.

I think this is a very important reminder and i hope all of you take advantage of it and refrain from doing such.

Quote:

Is it permissible to attend the celebrations of Christian festivals and congratulate them?

Praise be to Allaah.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: it is not permissible for the Muslims to attend the festivals of the mushrikeen, according to the consensus of the scholars whose words carry weight. The fuqaha’ who follow the four schools of thought have stated this clearly in their books… Al-Bayhaqi narrated with a saheeh isnaad from ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab that he said: “Do not enter upon the mushrikeen in their churches on the day of their festival, for divine wrath is descending upon them.” And ‘Umar also said: “Avoid the enemies of Allaah on their festivals.” Al-Bayhaqi narrated with a jayyid isnaad from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr that he said: “Whoever settles in the land of the non-Arabs and celebrates their new year and festival and imitates them until he dies in that state, will be gathered with them on the Day of Resurrection.” (Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah, 1/723-724).

With regard to congratulating them on their festivals, this has already been answered in Question no. 947, which we advise you to refer to.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

source: http://islam-qa.com/en/cat/148/ref/islamqa/11427

It is haram to celebrate New Years and also believe and act upon the new years resolution. The believer should not fall for this because it is the festivals of others.

I came to warn you and i want all of you avoid such and also warn your fellow Muslims.

May Allah(Subhannah wa ta3ala) protect us from following the foot steps of shaytaan, increase us in Imaan, knowledge and health. AMiin

And Allah (Subhannahu wa ta3ala) knows best.

Your brother in Islam.

wa alaykumu salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu[quote][/quote]
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by olabowale(m): 1:59pm On Dec 20, 2009
why is the post retard, luvola? do you celebrate the end of the fast of the muslims, or the slaughter?

if you dont, why would you expect muslim to celebrate what you celebrate? if you do, thats your choice, since the muslim does not force you to do it. further, the muslim has the right to not celebrate what you celebrate, if you do not force him.
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by olalekan1(m): 1:08pm On Dec 21, 2009
I worked with christians and we are going to be given holiday. So if I take part in the holiday havent I participated in it?
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by zayhal(f): 8:29pm On Dec 21, 2009
@olalekan

No you have not. You don't have a choice of going to work, do you? You can spend your holiday well by engaging in meritorous acts.
There are lots of programmes around this time here in Nigeria, to keep muslims busy and away from those celerations.

@luvola
what's your problem with that post?
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by Remii(m): 8:34pm On Dec 21, 2009
^^^^ You can also offer to work through the period to cover for those who really need to have the holiday. I always plan my vacation to free both Ramadan and Eld Kabir for me while I give the option of "whatever happens" to Xmas and New Year period.

1 Like

Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by olalekan1(m): 8:54am On Dec 22, 2009
thank you, BUt I have an uncle who has a poultry and he will be seeling off his chickens during xmas and new year season. Hasnt he participated in it?
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by zayhal(f): 10:33am On Dec 22, 2009
Participating in a festival involves actively celebrating, putting on fine clothings for the celebration, going out to visit people and exchange greetings on the festival, cooking pecial dishes or willingly accepting them, and the likes.

Your uncle i only doing his own business, and even if he sells more during xmas and new year, thi is only an added advantage as long as he's not giving out to them for free to aid their celebration.

And Allah knows best.
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by olalekan1(m): 1:25pm On Dec 22, 2009
thank you.
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by abdakeem(m): 6:42pm On Dec 22, 2009
in addition to what he wrote, there is a hadith that say if u behave like them then u are them so avoid it
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by N101: 9:16pm On Dec 22, 2009
Maybe I'm missing something here. Christmas, yes, is a Christian festival, but New Years?! What's "Christian" about that?
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by MrCrackles(m): 9:17pm On Dec 22, 2009
N101:

Maybe I'm missing something here. Christmas, yes, is a Christian festival, but New Years?! What's "Christian" about that?
I wonder o. . . . .
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by mamagee3(f): 9:19pm On Dec 22, 2009
Is that a muslim celebration or what? undecided
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by luvola(m): 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2009
@ mod - y do u delete my post . na wa for these muslims. xtians do celebrate wit yur festive nah,so y again xmas / new year ?
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by olabowale(m): 11:43pm On Dec 22, 2009
@N101; « #9 on: Today at 09:16:23 PM »
we just had our new year. this past friday, the first day of muharram, which started on thurday sundown and ended friday's sundown. on sunday coming, the 10th day, we shall observe ashura fast, because it is the tradition of prophet moses [as] to fast in thanking his Creator Allah for defeating tyrannical pharaoh by the simplest means; a stick creating the watery grave!

MrCrackles' « #10 on: Today at 09:17:53 PM »
I wonder o. . . . .
dont wonder any longer. islam is firm on resolve. we are not flaky and do not move we the tide[s]. good thing, truth stand unmoveably firm even in the face of unfettered ridicule from those whose spiritual foundation moves with the changing weather.

@mama-gee; « #11 on: Today at 09:19:20 PM »
Is that a muslim celebration or what?
neither. december 31/january 1 is just a period, no biggie. we have our own new year and since we are not a glutton, we allow you to have yours. thats fair. no?
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by N101: 11:41pm On Dec 23, 2009
olabowale:

we just had our new year. this past friday, the first day of muharram, which started on thurday sundown and ended friday's sundown. on sunday coming, the 10th day, we shall observe ashura fast, because it is the tradition of prophet moses [as] to fast in thanking his Creator Allah for defeating tyrannical pharaoh by the simplest means; a stick creating the watery grave!

Thanks for the explanation, but bear with me. 

New Year's as we know it isn't based on Christianity, has its roots in the Julian calendar which isn't Christian.  Ethiopians celebrate their New Year according to the Ge'ez calendar which latterly incorporated the Orthodox/religious liturgical events, and the Chinese new year is based on the lunar and solar calendars, and many Asian countries use this.  A lot of people who aren't religious also celebrate the coming of a New Year which isn't always based on the Julian/Gregorian calendar.

I'm reading and re-reading the original post.  Making resolutions is not a "Christian" thing, in fact it's a very non-religious thing that people do.  Who exactly are the "enemies of Allah" as quoted?
And ‘Umar also said: “Avoid the enemies of Allaah on their festivals.”

If it's a case of not doing as those who are not Muslims do I get that, but how is it haram to "celebrate" what is, in effect, a secular non-religious public holiday?  And what exactly consitutes "celebrating" in the new year context?
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by olalekan1(m): 12:38pm On Dec 24, 2009
pls answer the above post!
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 24, 2009
Muslims will always amuze me.U dnt celebrate new year,why then do u follow the calender since it is the christians that made it? Apart from saudi&may be 2 other countries in d entire world,evry country follows one general calender of 12months,52wks, 365/366 days.Either muslims celebrate new yr or not,d fact that muslims use same calender with christians shows muslims support d 12 calender months that starts on jan1 evry year
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by olabowale(m): 2:06am On Dec 25, 2009
@N101: We have our own New Year. We have our two major celebrations. These are enough. We follow Muhammad and what he said are permissable among of the prophets before him (AS). So we just do what those prophets did, as allowed by Muhammad!

Calendar may be secular, but our is Hijra based.
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by iwaboy: 10:37am On Dec 25, 2009
The gregorian calendar is not secular! The fact is just that, in christianity, everything goes. They take little from pagans, some from idol worshippers and so on. If you are in doubt, check for the origin of the gregorian months from any encyclopedia.

Month Latin Origin
January Januarius Named after the god Janus.
February Februarius Named after Februa, the purification festival.
March Martius Named after the god Mars.
April Aprilis Named either after the goddess Aphrodite or the Latin word aperire, to open.
May Maius Probably named after the goddess Maia.
June Junius Probably named after the goddess Juno.
July Julius Named after Julius Caesar in 44 B.C.E. Prior to that time its name was Quintilis from the word quintus, fifth, because it was the 5th month in the old Roman calendar.
August Augustus Named after emperor Augustus in 8 B.C.E. Prior to that time the name was Sextilis from the word sextus, sixth, because it was the 6th month in the old Roman calendar.
SeptemberSeptember From the word septem, seven, because it was the 7th month in the old Roman calendar.
October October From the word octo, eight, because it was the 8th month in the old Roman calendar.
November November From the word novem, nine, because it was the 9th month in the old Roman calendar.
December December From the word decem, ten, because it was the 10th month in the old Roman calendar.

Muslims need to be careful in everything they do because Islam is a complete way of life that controls and moderates everything a Muslim does. It tells a Muslim how to talk, sleep, visit the toilet, even d proper way of having affairs with his wives and so on. A christian can decide to celebrate anything with whoever he likes perhaps because his religion gives him blanket permission for almost everything. As for a Muslim, he is a person whose life is guided by the established rules of sharia and exemplified by the best of mankind muhammad(SAW) and his rightly guided companions.
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by Nobody: 12:05pm On Dec 25, 2009
@iwaboy.All ur epistle makes no sense,so far that the same calender u say christian accepted from pagans/idols is used by 98% of countries in the world including u.At least today is 25th& a friday according to world calender,why dont u say today is thursday 29th if u dnt like d calender? Since christian accepts anything,u are part of us if u cannot start implementing muslim calender in Nigeria from today.
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by olabowale(m): 12:49pm On Dec 25, 2009
@toba; how could anything logical make sense to you? if it makes sense to you, you will not remain a christian for one minute. if One God without multiple personalities is not good enough until that God becomes 3 persons, in essence coming out with gods, why will you not deny the christianity based calendar and tell us it is secular!

We in islam do not deal with any matter if it does not compliment Islam. We have a forever standing road map; the Quran being analysed by the hadith/sunnah. Why should we leave that and jump into anything and everything just because christians are working for shaitan to seduce us?
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 25, 2009
Olabowale u re proper mumu,if not u wouldnt be yarning dust.My stance remains that to prove islam right why dnt u refuse to follow d calender of keferi? Today still remains friday 25th in 98% of countries including syria,iran,iraq&Nigeria.Here works ends on friday&starts on moday.Try to enforce your hijira here in Nigeria first,if u succeed in discarding the world calender,then i will change to islam,otherwise bury your mouth& hand in shame if u cant enforce rejected calender
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by iwaboy: 3:49pm On Dec 25, 2009
Toba. The more u post the more you expose the unclothedness of your ignorance. Muslims do not need to 'enforce' the use of the hijra calenda on the world where we have muslims and non-Mualims. What we are trying to educate u on is that we, as Muslims, are not under compulsion to embrace festivals that emanate from an idol-inclined calenda.
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by MrCrackles(m): 3:51pm On Dec 25, 2009
I still dont understand why we cant celebrate the 1st of January, as the start of new year. . . .
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by Nobody: 5:08pm On Dec 25, 2009
iwaboy are u a human being? God forbid me getting education from religious fanatics like you pple.let me ask Which calender do u follow? Is it d same u said emanated from idols? Ok lets leave festivity&face calender issue.By d mere fact that u muslims use d same calender with others shows your religion have no say in terms of world timing.If u cant enforce hijra then keep shut&keep following&using the idol emanated calender like u ve always done
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by luvola(m): 5:14pm On Dec 25, 2009
islam is fraud
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by iwaboy: 6:15pm On Dec 25, 2009
Toba. I'm a human being and, in fact, your able teacher grin. D more u post d more I see d need to educate u. U can really be educated by one u call a fanatic! U see, ppl who are really intelligent don't say others cannot educate them in things they have little or no knowledge about. Even if u feel a person is going to say what u feel is NONSENSE, u need to listen to him; perhaps u'll learn 1 or 2 things from him. If u are intelligent u'll understand that it's not possible to write d word NONSENSE without writing SENSE. I mean NONSENSE is a combination of NON and SENSE. So if some1 talks and u think it's nonsense, remove the NON and make use of the SENSE in what he says.
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by iwaboy: 6:21pm On Dec 25, 2009
luvola. I don't think I have time for some1 like u who will just jump up and say "this thing is fraud" without substantiating it. Learn how to contribute to a moving discussion. Don't just open your mouth paga and close it fonga. Manners, pls manners!
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by Nobody: 8:17pm On Dec 25, 2009
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 25, 2009
Iwaboy.I taught u wanted 2 educate me,but all d chants u posted about sense&nonsense will only make sense to babies/children like u&not to me.So save urself d stress cus u re too small to educate me.The fact that we chat on nairaland doesnt mean we re equal.Pls my guy cut that trash
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by iwaboy: 8:47pm On Dec 25, 2009
Toba. I agree with u 100%; we aren't equal. D fact dat we chat on nairaland doesn't mean we're equal and that is why some1 like u should get some education from me so dat u can liberate yourself from your thick dark blanket of ignorance. Thinking I'm too small to educate you is 1 of d several blunders dat characterises your person. No matter what a person thinks he knows, he needs to continue to learn so as to know more. Take it from me, d more u know d more u know how little u know!
Re: It Is Haram To Celebrate New Years! by iwaboy: 9:06pm On Dec 25, 2009
Toba. For your in4mation, D Roman emperor Julius Caesar officially declared January 1 to be a New Year in 46 B.C. Romans worshiped god Janus who had two faces, one looking forward and the other looking backward. The month of January was named after this Roman god and it gave an idea to the emperor to establish January as a gate to the New Year. How do you see this? Would u like to be associated with d double-face-idol Janus? I'm sure you wouldn't. but, don't 4get dat the fact that january was named after dis Roman god(Janus) gave d emperor, Julius Ceaser, d idea to establish January as a gate to d new year. D same new year u celebrate year in year out. I don't blame u for so doing. My position is dat Muslims, who are not slaves to Janus, should not join you to celebrate d so called new year.Period.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Do The Scholars Say? / Is The Mark On Some People's Forehead A Sign Of Iman? / Dress Code Of Muslim Women and Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.