Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,174 members, 7,780,203 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:50 AM

What Is The Real Value Of N1? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Is The Real Value Of N1? (650 Views)

"How Fidelity Bank Staff Ebuka Ugodunnamba Duped Me Of N1.4m" / Realmen Real Value / The Unstable Value Of The Naira In The Parallel Market - Afolabi Olugbemiga Sam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Real Value Of N1? by seunpayne(m): 2:10pm On Mar 16, 2017
I want to rant as usual but that’s gonna be hard to do today because its quite expensive. It costs exactly N1. I had a very interesting chat with a very interesting person yesterday and the things we discussed left my mind buzzing. He started his story with a question and I’m going to ask you that question as well.

What is the value of N1 to you?

Shade told me how much she loved shopping at Shoprite. “It’s an amazing experience.” She said. What she didn’t like though was the way the attendants bullied shoppers into parting with their change. I laughed and asked why she couldn’t just let it go. “Because it’s my money Seun” was her reply. She went on to explain. When you buy groceries worth N4999, it makes sense that you wouldn’t wait to collect the change. You would pay N5000 and walk away without feeling like you lost a thing. When you do that twenty times, you would have left N20 to the seller without a care in the world.

It’s just N20 though and it couldn’t make a difference. Right? Well what is the difference between N1000 and N980? Have you ever taken a bike ride to a place and struggled to make change because all you had were N1000 notes? Then the rider asks you if you have N20 so he can give you N50 since your change is N30. Bet you wish you had your N20 now right?

Shade had change after she paid for her groceries. Her change was N70. The attendant gave her N50 and moved on to the next customer. She moved to the side and waited.

“Madam, I don answer you na.” The attendant said a bit peevishly.

Shade went on to cause a scene and didn’t leave until she collected her N20. Na wa for her abi?

Andy bought fuel at a filling station one time. He drove in and asked the attendant to give him N4000 worth of fuel. The attendant sold him N4002 worth of fuel. Andy paid N4000 and proceeded to drive off but the attendant blocked him. “Oga your money never complete.” the attendant said.

“I asked you to sell N4000 worth of fuel to me. You sold more than that. Where do you want me to bring the N2 from?” Andy asked. The attendant stubbornly refused and refused to let Andy drive away. Finally, Andy, after rummaging through his car, paid the attendant N5. The attendant then left the front of his car and went back to his pump. he thought the matter was over. He was wrong.

Andy reversed his car and blocked the pump. No other car could buy fuel. A confused attendant came around and approached the car.

“Oga wetin happen again?” The attendant asked.

“I am waiting for my N3” Andy replied.

Andy went on to cause a scene and didn’t leave until he collected his N5 back. Na wa for him abi?

It would surprise you to know that Andy and Shade are married. Andy is Financial Manager at a reputable firm in Abuja and makes far more than you can imagine so please don’t assume this is because he is poor. Nor is he stingy as he is a very generous entrepreneur. So why would someone with millions in his account be so concerned about N3? Why would a woman married to a man like that be concerned about N20?

The answer was in his house. He showed me a jar that was crammed full of small bills. N5s, N10s, N20s and N50s. Every change that made it home with him everyday went into that jar. When he emptied it and we counted it, it was more than N1000. That’s how much he would have lost walking away from change that was rightfully his. Money he worked for.

Ever wonder why attendants force you to leave your change? Because they understand the real value of N1. I’m not saying you shouldn’t be generous. I’m saying that when you are, you should know the true value of what you’re giving away.

So whats the real value of N1?

Imagine if I gave you N1 and it doubled every day. How much do you think you would have at the end of the month? After a week you would have N128 which isn’t really enough to buy you a decent meal. But by the end of the second week you would have N16,385. Almost a corpers alawai already. All from this N1. By the end of the third week you would have N2,097,152. Interesting isn’t it. All from N1. By the end of the fourth week of doubling, you would have…carry your calculator and break your own heart. That’s N1. If you were privileged to see the total amount of change you walked away from last year simply because you thought it wasn’t worth much, you would most definitely be shocked.

We are in a recession people. The very first step to financial freedom isn’t multiple sources of income. It’s in better spending habits. I just discovered that I spent about N150,000 eating out last year. This figure doesn’t include the amount I spent hanging out with friends or the food I ate at home. Before you judge me, understand that this figure was calculated from spending an average of N300 every working day. You might have spent far more than I have right?

This isn’t much of a rant. Its an awareness campaign. Start saving today. Not by dumping a large chunk of your salary in the bank but by cutting down on unnecessary costs. Split bills when you go out with your friends. Get married and stay faithful and leave prostitutes alone. Get a roommate and split the rent. Carpool to work instead driving four cars from the same area to the same office. Contribute money to cook instead of always eating out.

Stop stressing yourself trying to live a life no one gives a damn about. If you die today the world wont pause for a day.

So now I ask you; What is N1 really worth to you?

Copied from http://seunpayne.com/real-value-n1/

(1) (Reply)

Palm Kernel / Ikorodu Council Secretariat To Give Way To Shoprite Complex / Emulsion Paint Production Training Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.