Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,909 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:51 AM

Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? (7544 Views)

Why ‘can I Sue My Employer?’ Is Often The Wrong Question / My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me / My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Yteflon(m): 3:20pm On Mar 16, 2017
I have an idea of a viable online web platform business and i currently work for an online magazine website . i have a good relationship with my boss who is the owner of the company. I am skeptical of what will happen if i inform him of my idea. I don't know if it will still be my idea or the company's. I am a final year student so i don't have the money but i have the skills to start up. Should i wait till i have the money or look for other ways to raise money instead of giving my idea out.
Abi. what relationship will exist between me and my boss if i tell him my idea? Is it partnership or employer/employee?
Please people with experience should enlighten me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by OgidiOlu3(m): 3:27pm On Mar 16, 2017
Idea is very cheap bro. No be to just enter bathroom pour water for head idea go come? Implementing the idea is the issue. Do you have all it takes to implement it? If you don't, give your idea to your boss. If it's successful, you'll be known and rewarded for sharing the idea.

19 Likes

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by chrissy3(m): 3:32pm On Mar 16, 2017
Yteflon:
I have an idea of a viable online web platform business and i currently work for an online magazine website . i have a good relationship with my boss who is the owner of the company. I am skeptical of what will happen if i inform him of my idea. I don't know if it will still be my idea or the company's. I am a final year student so i don't have the money but i have the skills to start up. Should i wait till i have the money or look for other ways to raise money instead of giving my idea out.
Abi. what relationship will exist between me and my boss if i tell him my idea? Is it partnership or employer/employee?
Please people with experience should enlighten me
Firstly the moment you share your idea , you've lost your bargaining chip that gives you power and you boss would use his money to carry out your idea and he can screw you over by not giving you a dime . Secondly bro Idea's rule the world and for a student who is coming out to a labour market like Nigeria , you've got to hold on to your idea's cause it can help your defeat poverty cause you never know how big it can become . Thirdly Your boss is already made but you've not even started so.... I advice you find a way to use your idea so you can become a boss also someday.
What I would suggest is that since you don't have funding to impliment your idea , I suggest you have a written contract agreement and you state the terms of the partnership before you tell him so that he won't be able to screw you over and you still exercise more right over your idea. Ideas are priceless so you must guard it with your life

47 Likes

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Yteflon(m): 3:35pm On Mar 16, 2017
chrissy3:
Firstly the moment you share your idea , you've lost your bargaining chip that gives you power and you boss would use his money to carry out your idea and he can screw you over by not giving you a dime . Secondly bro Idea's rule the world and for a student who is coming out to a labour market like Nigeria , you've got to hold on to your idea's cause it can help your defeat poverty cause you never know how big it can become . Thirdly Your boss is already made but you've not even started so.... I advice you find a way to use your idea so you can become a boss also someday.
What I would suggest is that since you don't have funding to impliment your idea , I suggest you have a written contract agreement and you state the terms of the partnership before you tell him so that he won't be able to screw you over and you still exercise more right over your idea. Ideas are priceless so you must guard it with your life
Thanks boss man

4 Likes

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Yteflon(m): 3:36pm On Mar 16, 2017
OgidiOlu3:
Idea is very cheap bro. No be to just enter bathroom pour water for head idea go come? Implementing the idea is the issue. Do you have all it takes to implement it? If you don't, give your idea to your boss. If it's successful, you'll be known and rewarded for sharing the idea.
lol bro... what kkind of reward?
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by OgidiOlu3(m): 4:45pm On Mar 16, 2017
Yteflon:

lol bro... what kkind of reward?
He can be promoted. Depends on the kind of boss tho. At this moment, someone else is thinking of this "great" idea he has. If you can't implement your ideas, then they don't amount to nothing.

7 Likes

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Yteflon(m): 5:02pm On Mar 16, 2017
OgidiOlu3:

He can be promoted. Depends on the kind of boss tho. At this moment, someone else is thinking of this "great" idea he has. If you can't implement your ideas, then they don't amount to nothing.
hmm.. i thought of that too...Thank you very much sir
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by SweetBoyFriend(m): 10:23pm On Mar 16, 2017

Are you allergic to utilizing your ideas to make your self wealth, take care of your family and stop working for 5 naira per hour ??

You want to give out your idea to someone who is a millionaire and can sack your ass and you will have no job

The only time you would reveal your idea to your employer is if you're be a co-owner in that your idea if it works and you must have him sign some strong legal papers to hold him down

Are you an upcoming idiot ??

It's like your brain is paining you

3 Likes

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by auntysimbiat(f): 10:24pm On Mar 16, 2017
yes
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by iykejohn(m): 10:24pm On Mar 16, 2017
most times but b careful not to cross limit..
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by princeakins(m): 10:24pm On Mar 16, 2017
Carry on
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by decode55(m): 10:25pm On Mar 16, 2017
No! Are you mad?

1 Like

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by markbenny(m): 10:25pm On Mar 16, 2017
No, It is called intellectual property. You can implement your ideas to improve the organization, not tell it to them.

You have no use if they already know you have in ur head. They will easily sack you to cut cost and then implement your own idea
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by decode55(m): 10:26pm On Mar 16, 2017
OgidiOlu3:

Where will this happen? In Nigeria?

5 Likes

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by AshawoGirl(f): 10:26pm On Mar 16, 2017
If your boss is a female pls have serx with her so anything u say she will obey thanks

1 Like

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by SalamRushdie: 10:27pm On Mar 16, 2017
OgidiOlu3:

This is a very poor advice .

3 Likes

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by herdekunley9ja(m): 10:29pm On Mar 16, 2017
y not.... keep sharing to avoid extinct of ur great ideas

1 Like

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Mar 16, 2017
Finally a topic I can learn something from today. Lemme spread my mat here.
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by SNIPER123: 10:29pm On Mar 16, 2017
cheesy
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by GloriaNinja(f): 10:29pm On Mar 16, 2017
Sometimes but sometimes you should use the idea to start up your own firm.
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Mar 16, 2017
Billyonaire Oo.. you are needed here!! sir
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by modelsms(m): 10:30pm On Mar 16, 2017
This is naija where there are no laws.

This falls squarely on intellectual property rights.
I wouldn't know exactly what the idea is and how you came about it.

if it were in saner climes u would likely be compensated even if the idea was discovered in the course of your work.

The best thing may be to keep the idea and use it personally.

ANYWAY, CHECK MY SIGNATURE FOR ETISALAT
DATA. SEE DETAILS AND OUR OFFICE ADDRESS
BY CHECKING MY TOPICS.
FIRST PERSON TO QUOTE ME GETS 100 MB
FREE ON HIS/HER ETISALAT LINE.
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by BJAYADEMOLA(m): 10:31pm On Mar 16, 2017
If the idea is viable, you can source for fund. implement it and u get the gain.

1 Like

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by sholay2011(m): 10:36pm On Mar 16, 2017
AshawoGirl:
If your boss is a female pls have serx with her so anything u say she will obey thanks
shocked shocked
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by rattlesnake(m): 10:39pm On Mar 16, 2017
play with sack

Nigerian employers are sociopaths ooo
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Benjom(m): 10:41pm On Mar 16, 2017
If you know you'll not implement the idea anytime soon, tell him (especially if it's one that can become outdated within a given period of time).

1 Like

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Benekruku(m): 10:43pm On Mar 16, 2017
Do you have another job on standby? If yes, you can proceed. Its safer to be insured.
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by theSpark(m): 10:43pm On Mar 16, 2017
If the idea is going to help the company work better, why not? You can share it with your boss. However if it's a standalone idea, the type that births startups abeg hold on to it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by lonelydora: 10:44pm On Mar 16, 2017
First of all, patent it. That is if it works in Nigeria. I know in saner climes it works

1 Like

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Acidosis(m): 10:46pm On Mar 16, 2017
First, I have to congratulate you. You are an Intrapreneur

Secondly, sharing your idea is good, but ensure you're sharing that idea with the right person. What do I mean? Do not sell a Konga or Jumia idea to a man whose net worth is less than N500k.. He will comfortably FAIL!

Do not sell a Toyota Camry 2016 idea to a Bicycle manufacturer! He will fail woefully!

Do not sell a big online business idea (e.g. Wikipedia) to a WordPress blogger!

Having an idea isn't enough. Can your boss implement the idea? How viable is the idea? Does it correlate with the Company's vision? I hope you're not trying to sell an e-Commerce idea to an online magazine operator? He might discard you and your idea.
I see a lot of hustlers and strugglers here trying to imitate Konga.. People whose net Worth's aren't even close to 100k (not even enough to run 1 TV ad), they want to run a Konga! How f00lish! Such people do not stay longer than 5 days in business.

Think and Thrive

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by franzis(m): 10:47pm On Mar 16, 2017
holla me , make we share the idea and if its something i can invest in

1 Like

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by UjSizzle(f): 10:47pm On Mar 16, 2017
Write a proposal, but don't be detailed about your plans. You're to suggest a partnership. If he's interested, draw up a contract and make him sign it. Your contract should state that he's not allowed to disclose your ideas to a third party or use them should he pull out of the partnership.

If he's not interested, find someone else with the capital you need.

Whatever you do, don't use your brainchild to grow someone's business when you can use it to grow yours.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? / Nigeria Prison Service Current Replacement Excercise / Which Company Is Better, Nlng Or Total?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.