Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,155 members, 7,807,517 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? (7550 Views)

Why ‘can I Sue My Employer?’ Is Often The Wrong Question / My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me / My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by linearity: 11:08pm On Mar 16, 2017
I will advise you to be careful.

Slow down and ask yourself, what input or resources can your Boss bring to the table to make the idea a reality that you cannot source yourself independently? If none or close to none, I will advise that you implement your idea, yourself.

Company can take the idea, implement it and give you next to nothing or even nothing and they will be within their rights to do so.

Remember that many great startups started with the sharing of ideas and some lead to the theft of ideas. Facebook and Apple are a good examples, check the history of Facebook, how one friend gave a code he was writing to another friend, who secretly adopted the code and Facebook was borne and the previous friend found himself battling court cases to see if he can redeem any value from his idea.

1 Like

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Jazmiynne: 11:22pm On Mar 16, 2017
Idea is very cheap bro. No be to just enter bathroom pour water for head idea go come? Implementing the idea is the issue. Do you have all it takes to implement it? If you don't, give your idea to your boss. If it's successful, you'll be known and rewarded for sharing the idea.

PLEASE do not take this quoted advice.

Idea is NOT very cheap. Its your asset, treasure it till you can build on it not where you would simply be used and dumped.
As a final year student, your boss would simply tell you Thank you and use your idea to make a name for himself.

Even skilled partners who documented partnerships have gotten cheated out of the bargain by the financial partner when the going gets good.

HOLD YOUR IDEA AS GOLD and modify it each day to make it even better waiting for its implementation

3 Likes

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Jazmiynne: 11:26pm On Mar 16, 2017
OgidiOlu3:

He can be promoted. Depends on the kind of boss tho. At this moment, someone else is thinking of this "great" idea he has. If you can't implement your ideas, then they don't amount to nothing.

He is already in final year so his life is set before him.

Please stop watering down the strength of ideas

2 Likes

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Jazmiynne: 11:27pm On Mar 16, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

Are you allergic to utilizing your ideas to make your self wealth, take care of your family and stop working for 5 naira per hour ??

You want to give out your idea to someone who is a millionaire and can sack your ass and you will have no job

The only time you would reveal your idea to your employer is if you're be a co-owner in that your idea if it works and you must have him sign some strong legal papers to hold him down

Are you an upcoming idiot ??

It's like your brain is paining you
[/color]

cheesy cheesy
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Mar 16, 2017
Don't try it o, they are gonna make it theirs and won't give u credit, I have worked with senior officers who stole my Ideas and there is not a danm thing I can do about it

1 Like

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by ekanDamie: 12:09am On Mar 17, 2017
modelsms:
This is naija where there are no laws.

This falls squarely on intellectual property rights.
I wouldn't know exactly what the idea is and how you came about it.

if it were in saner climes u would likely be compensated even if the idea was discovered in the course of your work.

The best thing may be to keep the idea and use it personally.

ANYWAY, CHECK MY SIGNATURE FOR ETISALAT
DATA. SEE DETAILS AND OUR OFFICE ADDRESS
BY CHECKING MY TOPICS.
FIRST PERSON TO QUOTE ME GETS 100 MB
FREE ON HIS/HER ETISALAT LINE.

I'm quoting u first
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by EkoErrands: 12:28am On Mar 17, 2017
Yteflon:
I have an idea of a viable online web platform business and i currently work for an online magazine website . i have a good relationship with my boss who is the owner of the company. I am skeptical of what will happen if i inform him of my idea. I don't know if it will still be my idea or the company's. I am a final year student so i don't have the money but i have the skills to start up. Should i wait till i have the money or look for other ways to raise money instead of giving my idea out.
Abi. what relationship will exist between me and my boss if i tell him my idea? Is it partnership or employer/employee?
Please people with experience should enlighten me

My brother or nephew whichever u are.... No try am o! I have one patent and one copy right certificate and I can authoritatively tell you keep your idea to yourself. Instead of you to tell your boss kuku tell your girl friend.

The only thing your boss can give you in this life is money. Trust me no boss will ever give you partnership. In fact if you are thinking about your idea and your boss walks past... Stop thinking immediately.

Do you know bosses can be jealous? I have a former boss... I said former o! Whenever I'm with him I never ever mention the word masters not to talk of allowing my name to be in the same sentence with the word masters. Never!

Now let me give u a rule of thumb when it comes to ideas.

A family member who is capable of sponsoring your idea is a better option... It worked for me... Mine was a distant cousin sef.

Try and process your idea from its raw form to a stage your sponsor can easily see potential... This will help u get what u want from him quicker... Let me break this down. For example... Instead of using your mouth to narrate to your cousin or uncle how the online business works... You should design the online platform even if it's a mock simulation of the portal... It goes a long way trust me.

If I remember another tip and I have the time I go write... Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by swazpedro(m): 12:36am On Mar 17, 2017
AshawoGirl:
If your boss is a female pls have serx with her so anything u say she will obey thanks

u self eehn.. why 14yo no go dey disturb u
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by SaintChukz(m): 1:29am On Mar 17, 2017
Yteflon:
I have an idea of a viable online web platform business and i currently work for an online magazine website . i have a good relationship with my boss who is the owner of the company. I am skeptical of what will happen if i inform him of my idea. I don't know if it will still be my idea or the company's. I am a final year student so i don't have the money but i have the skills to start up. Should i wait till i have the money or look for other ways to raise money instead of giving my idea out.
Abi. what relationship will exist between me and my boss if i tell him my idea? Is it partnership or employer/employee?

If you're so sure of its viability, then develop a prototype of this idea and create a document to pitch it to would be investors.
of course, this must have been after you've gotten some measure of legal back up for your idea. But I doubt it's an idea you can even patent. Digital ideas that don't run corely on novel new technology barely get patent rights these days. I'm saying this because I'm currently into like 2 or 3 such ideas...of which "Deo Volente" may shake the region or entire continent even if they don't scale worldwide. The ideas are however not entirely my own but I have devoted enough passion and energy into them like they were mine but I don't regret my situation one bit because there's even more ideas from where the previous ones came from and it's just a matter of time...before I eventually break solo free as I'm still learning the lessons from other's experiences.

If you're already thinking up funding sources, do hit me up. I may be able to assist or point you in the right direction when it comes to funding sources for such ideas. We could even work as a team to champion your idea!

1 Like

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Nobody: 2:42am On Mar 17, 2017
Yteflon:

Don't share your idea. Any ideas you come about while employed belongs to the company.

After you leave the company (be sharpening your idea in the meantime) approach a venture developer for partnership.

But patent your idea or at least document it now with dates.

1 Like

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by OlanUp(m): 3:08am On Mar 17, 2017
Yteflon:

I was once in your position some fifteen (15) years ago while I was working for a boss of mine. I found that IDEA and EXPERIENCE works hand in hand. One could have a good and lofty idea but no experience (in the field) to back it up but one gets experience by working on an idea and the experience helps in the ability to create more ideas. The idea I got while working for my ex-boss is so massive that I do not have the money, equipment, network or enough experience to carry it through if I want to do it by myself and I found out that if I keep it to myself till when I am able to have all this, what makes me think that another person will not have the same insight or idea before I roll out mine? One day I told my boss about the idea and being the kind of person he is he looked at it critically withing few hours and he appoints me to head a team of 3 to work out the modalities of implementing the idea and report to him in within a week. While we are doing that he himself have already gone out to use his wealth of experience, connection, money and network to put some things in place. By the time I submit the report, I was surprised by the amount of what he has already done by himself! Things I could not think of myself (except for my crude idea). The idea worked, I was made to be in charge of it and I worked with him for another eight (cool years in which I gained a lot of experience, made a lot of contacts and grew my network and helped in exposing me to new and better equipments, software and of course outside world because so many times I have to travel withing and outside of Nigeria to represent the company in various meetings, conferences and developments. I got more ideas because I was able to share and not too much focused on MONEY, I needed to serve to be able to serve and for others to serve me, I paid my dues and not live beyond my limit. When I was ready to leave and move on, I did it gracefully and my ex-boss was even ready for my exit. Today I am based in North America and I got many other bigger and better ideas and above all experience after my first 'tiny' initial idea and my ex-boss and I are very good friends now, he even introduced to many of his people/network in North America.

One thing I find so amusing nowadays is how many young people allow the love of instant money and fame to becloud their vision from the big picture forgetting that the time of everyone is different and those that they are seeing as someone, those who they see that have 'made' it have actually worked and served to get or gain their own experience which they are using to hold together their life and businesses.

If you have a good boss- Leaderboss- he/she will be able to harness your wisdom and pay you rightly- of course not above your limit or experience and you have to know how to live withing your limit and be focused. Don't expect to share your idea by telling your boss that he has to sign a contract with you and share money fifty-fifty, if you want that and you know you are capable of such, you can simply go to the bank with your idea and get the funds and start it off and create your own followership, customers, platform and network- I am sure you know that such does not come in a day!

This is where LEVERAGE comes in- Use your boss wealth of experience and cooperation to lunch yourself by working assiduously for the company so you can have a story, never be shy to ask for a raise but not above your limit, save some money, make new positive friends, develop and educate yourself, create a niche for yourself BECAUSE a NEW and BETTER IDEA is on its way and you need all these and many more to be able to handle it, even if it means that you have to move and start your own business.

I do not know it all but I know a few!!!
Peace.

3 Likes

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by gudofuck231: 3:30am On Mar 17, 2017
Yteflon:

If you don't build your dreams you would end up building someone's dream.
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by waldigit: 3:54am On Mar 17, 2017
Yteflon:

It depends on the type of person your boss is. Most times enterprenuers don't own the capital for business.
Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark etc were all sponsored at the start.
If your boss is the honest type you may propose to him else, look elsewhere.
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by kaboninc(m): 5:34am On Mar 17, 2017
Na wa oh...

Employers employ the employees to help grow the company through skilled efforts and creative ideas.

Employee na has the idea but is looking for a way to implement it outside the scope of his contract.

Am so sure so many employers are here, prospective employers and even this employee would one day become an employer.
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by kaboninc(m): 5:42am On Mar 17, 2017
Yteflon:

Sir, I believe you do not have the skills yet to run a successful business. I think you should exploit the opportunity you have right now in that company for you future use....learn how organizations are run, how ideas are used so that tomorrow, when you run or own your own company, your own staff would come to you to better make use of it.

I'll strongly advice that you take this idea to your boss, let him know how useful it will be for the company, what role you'd love to play in it and the support you'd get from the company. Am sure he'll love you more, not because you're creative but because of your loyalty.

If your boss is the good type, then work with him to build an empire while you gain knowledge, skills, develop your abilities, get understanding and when you want to start yours, he'll encourage you and give you his best.

Let's learn to be better employees.

1 Like

Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by linearity: 5:55am On Mar 17, 2017
I read some contributions here asking you to patent your idea.

If you are currently employed, be very careful before patenting your idea. Read about the labor laws and how it is applicable to you.

When you paten an idea, it is published to the public domain and if your employer can prove that, you were employed with them, when you come about that idea or any parts thereof, they can lay legal claim to all the idea or a good percentage of it.

Look at it this way, you are a full time employee of that company, they provide you with resources, including trainings and also learning opportunities through exposure to the daily tasks that you carry out for them...it then means, they have a strong legal ground to argue that, your idea was a 'product of work', all they need is a good intellectual property lawyer.

Patent protects you, but also exposes you. Consult a patent lawyer or read your employment letter, employee handbook(s), labor laws and see how they address intellectual property or 'work products' of employee.

If you are in doubts and you think the idea will hit big pay day, quit your job and run with your idea.
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by ProDNA: 6:14am On Mar 17, 2017
Paternity DNA tests for your peace of mind.
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by oshorstan(f): 6:52am On Mar 17, 2017
Yteflon:

Don't be stupid... wait till u get funds to run it
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Nobody: 7:30am On Mar 17, 2017
UjSizzle:
Write a proposal, but don't be detailed about your plans. You're to suggest a partnership. If he's interested, draw up a contract and make him sign it. Your contract should state that he's not allowed to disclose your ideas to a third party or use them should he pull out of the partnership.

If he's not interested, find someone else with the capital you need.

Whatever you do, don't use your brainchild to grow someone's business when you can use it to grow yours.

If you give me that as your boss, I'll fire you (for being too wise). That's how we roll here
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Nobody: 7:41am On Mar 17, 2017
AshawoGirl:
If your boss is a female pls have serx with her so anything u say she will obey thanks

What if she does not want sexxx... And the sight of the guy starts irritating her when she realize he wants to bonk her favours? Or whatever reasons

So Madam use sexxx as a strategy... What will u do if you are in the guy(employee ) shoes?

In between op, ideas no dey finish u can share your idea with your employer..if and only if u know your employer as a good and kind person who appreciates people like you. You will be amazed what u will get out of it. Don't appear greeedy for your cut and with time your reward will fall nicely unto your laps..
Like I said ideas no dey finish for head.
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Yteflon(m): 8:12am On Mar 17, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

Are you allergic to utilizing your ideas to make your self wealth, take care of your family and stop working for 5 naira per hour ??

You want to give out your idea to someone who is a millionaire and can sack your ass and you will have no job

The only time you would reveal your idea to your employer is if you're be a co-owner in that your idea if it works and you must have him sign some strong legal papers to hold him down

Are you an upcoming idiot ??

It's like your brain is paining you
calm down na bros... thanks by the way
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Yteflon(m): 8:14am On Mar 17, 2017
markbenny:
No, It is called intellectual property. You can implement your ideas to improve the organization, not tell it to them.

You have no use if they already know you have in ur head. They will easily sack you to cut cost and then implement your own idea
the idea is not related to the company's objective and mission,... ,it is not part o,f what the company does.
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Yteflon(m): 8:16am On Mar 17, 2017
AshawoGirl:
your head have hit ground
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Yteflon(m): 8:18am On Mar 17, 2017
theSpark:
If the idea is going to help the company work better, why not? You can share it with your boss. However if it's a standalone idea, the type that births startups abeg hold on to it.

Thanks
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Yteflon(m): 8:19am On Mar 17, 2017
Acidosis:
First, I have to congratulate you. You are an Intrapreneur

Secondly, sharing your idea is good, but ensure you're sharing that idea with the right person. What do I mean? Do not sell a Konga or Jumia idea to a man whose net worth is less than N500k.. He will comfortably FAIL!

Do not sell a Toyota Camry 2016 idea to a Bicycle manufacturer! He will fail woefully!

Do not sell a big online business idea (e.g. Wikipedia) to a WordPress blogger!

Having an idea isn't enough. Can your boss implement the idea? How viable is the idea? Does it correlate with the Company's vision? I hope you're not trying to sell an e-Commerce idea to an online magazine operator? He might discard you and your idea.
I see a lot of hustlers and strugglers here trying to imitate Konga.. People whose net Worth's aren't even close to 100k (not even enough to run 1 TV ad), they want to run a Konga! How f00lish! Such people do not stay longer than 5 days in business.

Think and Thrive
It does not correlate with the company vision .., thanks.. i feel you bro... that was how i saw somebody running a classified ad platform.. i just burst laugh.
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by Yteflon(m): 8:29am On Mar 17, 2017
EkoErrands:

My brother or nephew whichever u are.... No try am o! I have one patent and one copy right certificate and I can authoritatively tell you keep your idea to yourself. Instead of you to tell your boss kuku tell your girl friend.

The only thing your boss can give you in this life is money. Trust me no boss will ever give you partnership. In fact if you are thinking about your idea and your boss walks past... Stop thinking immediately.

Do you know bosses can be jealous? I have a former boss... I said former o! Whenever I'm with him I never ever mention the word masters not to talk of allowing my name to be in the same sentence with the word masters. Never!

Now let me give u a rule of thumb when it comes to ideas.

A family member who is capable of sponsoring your idea is a better option... It worked for me... Mine was a distant cousin sef.

Try and process your idea from its raw form to a stage your sponsor can easily see potential... This will help u get what u want from him quicker... Let me break this down. For example... Instead of using your mouth to narrate to your cousin or uncle how the online business works... You should design the online platform even if it's a mock simulation of the portal... It goes a long way trust me.

If I remember another tip and I have the time I go write... Good luck.
thanks man... Wish i have relatives.. am the oldest of my cousin's
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by DeRay98(m): 8:51am On Mar 17, 2017
chrissy3:
Firstly the moment you share your idea , you've lost your bargaining chip that gives you power and you boss would use his money to carry out your idea and he can screw you over by not giving you a dime . Secondly bro Idea's rule the world and for a student who is coming out to a labour market like Nigeria , you've got to hold on to your idea's cause it can help your defeat poverty cause you never know how big it can become . Thirdly Your boss is already made but you've not even started so.... I advice you find a way to use your idea so you can become a boss also someday.
What I would suggest is that since you don't have funding to impliment your idea , I suggest you have a written contract agreement and you state the terms of the partnership before you tell him so that he won't be able to screw you over and you still exercise more right over your idea. Ideas are priceless so you must guard it with your life

Bravo!!! In the Nigerian climate, considering that our bosses are overtly exploitative these suggestions above are sound.
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by chukagates(m): 10:40am On Mar 17, 2017
bro your idea is your money oo keep it to yourself it going to make you a millionaire or a billionaire if you work hard enough to acheive ..great men started with ideas .your boss go jst pay extra peanuts but that YOUR IDEA will bring him millions if not billions..if bill gate told people his idea i dont think he would be world richest man..i equally have an idea that would change tech industry globally but i will NEVER TELL ANYONE UNLESS AM SOO SURE I WILL HAVE A GOOD PER CENTAGE FROM PROFITS
Re: Can I Share My Idea With My Employer? by chukagates(m): 10:43am On Mar 17, 2017
bro your idea is your money oo keep it to yourself it going to make you a millionaire or a billionaire if you work hard enough to acheive ..great men started with ideas .your boss go jst pay extra peanuts but that YOUR IDEA will bring him millions if not billions..if bill gate told people his idea i dont think he would be world richest man..neva give out your ideas except ur SURE OF A STAKE PER CENTAGE FROM THE PROFITS

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Prison Service Current Replacement Excercise / Staff Of News Agency Of Nigeria Protest Over Non-Payments (Photos) / Which Company Is Better, Nlng Or Total?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.