Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,885 members, 7,798,963 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend (96667 Views)

Top 10 Of The Richest Kings In Nigeria (2019) And Their Cars / Rivers State First Class Kings, Traditional Rulers (Photos) / Stylish Oluwo Of Iwo Shows Off His Swags As He Strolls With Other Kings In Osun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by fuckerholic(m): 8:16am On Mar 17, 2017
VastFinder:

Source: http://www.thistrend.com.ng/2017/03/full-list-of-first-class-kings-in.html

Sentimental list..what about oblong of calabar ? Edidem prof have forgotten his name ?
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by donlexs(m): 8:20am On Mar 17, 2017
Title very misleading after reading the contents. There are more First Class Traditional Rulers in Nigeria. Bayelsa my home state has over 10.
I can help you complete the list with 2:
The Obhehan of Oloibiri (His Royal Majesty, King Adoku Maddocks Ogbogi)
The Amanyanabo of Nembe (His Royal Majesty, King Diete-Spiff).

More research should be done on works or trim the titles accordingly.

Thank you.

My 1 cent.
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by fuckerholic(m): 8:23am On Mar 17, 2017
Amarabae:
NONSENSE LIST.
where is
1.Obong of Calabar
2. Tor Tiv
3. Attah of Igala etc
what is dein of agbor? Who knows him and the village he rule.
TANKIU dear,just mentioned him now about the obong before seeing this your post..how many traditional rulers in nigeria are professors as him..a man who preside on the first capital, the most peaceful,most beautiful and tourist town in nigeria with a professorial degree is what he omits. I tire for him. asagba of asaba nko ?
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by VeniJu: 8:24am On Mar 17, 2017
RedboneSmith:
I am sure there are more than 10 first-class kings in Nigeria.
Yes. We have the ''Amayanagbo'' there in south-south.

1 Like

Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by fuckerholic(m): 8:26am On Mar 17, 2017
ruggedized1:
Obi of Onitsha is the most powerful stool east of Niger and most educated and most refined king in Nigeria.

Igwe Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe.
Will you shut up..is he a professor?
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by sbashir10(m): 8:29am On Mar 17, 2017
ruggedized1:
Obi of Onitsha is the most powerful stool east of Niger and most educated and most refined king in Nigeria.

Igwe Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe.
and also double as the chancellor of my school.
ABU zaria, never knew people knows him the day he came to abu for convocation ceremony.

1 Like

Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by WonderManly(m): 8:31am On Mar 17, 2017
8. Olu of Itsekiri/Warri Thе Olu of Wаrrі, Godwin Toju Emіkо іѕ the head оf the Itsekiri speaking реорlе. This ruler is king of one of the oil producing states in Nigeria. He is a lаwуеr bу рrоfеѕѕіоn the second university grаduаtеto аѕсеnd the grеаt throne оf the Warri Kіngdоm.
9. Obi of Onitsha His Royal Highness Obi Igwe Nnayelugo Alfred Nnaemeka
Achebe is the current Obi of Onitsha and is one of the most respected traditional monarch in Nigeria and he has influence over all Igwe’s in the south-east.
10. Olubadan of Ibadan The current Olubadan of Ibadan is Oba Saliu Adetunji. Ibadan is also an ancient Kingdom and he is also a first class king in Nigeria.
I knew and think this list is incomplete without my home land king AWUJALE of Ijebu Land. NO! NO!! NO!!! I cant take this from this writer. Never!
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by Nobody: 8:31am On Mar 17, 2017
peterpen:

You ain't that bright after all
you said and i quote
"Bini throne is overrated. The installation procession of a throne tells a lot about the historical relevance it holds. A quick look at the installation procession of the Bini throne and the reverence accorded to it by the Bini shows it is an exagerrated seat. Outside of Bini does not commands respect or influence & it has no lasting imprint anywhere outside Bini & except for few towns around it."

So i ask you 'What in the procession to the throne shows exaggeration'?
'which are two most prominent monarchs today'?
'Are the places ''Ondo - Akoko areas. Ibo land - Onitsha area. Lagos - Obalende & Island" and up to Benin republic few towns around Benin?

Guess u don't even know the Benin conquered up to Benin republic, and you must also be very delusional to think a Benin person wrote that shit on wikipedia that is subject to change any day anytime....that shit has been corrected alot of times buh it keeps changing cos u yorubas dnt just seem to be able to come to terms with the fact that we re indeed greater than you..

You must be very naive to think a stupid article backed by some dirty minds from the west in collaboration with a white who doesn't even know his roots yet will come down here and give you accurate result about your roots and you believe him cos he has a white skin, What were his methods of research?, where did he visit, whi did he ask?what gave him those notions? and what proofs does he have of those lies spilled by some yorubas who think themselves so educated to always twist history just to suite themselves cos they cant come to fact that we are greater than them

Your ooni oranmiyan story is so faulted even a primary school pupil will sense the naivity of the writer....

Come back and present viable facts and proofs When you are ready to be objective and read quality materials not those penned by your tribesman........ Before i go i recommend you go check out the meaning of an empire...

NB: Check up an English dictionary not a yoruba dictionary

Lol I stopped reading your trip when I got to the emboldened part.

Boy, your exposure to history is fraught with unadultrated ignorance. I can not waste my time with you.
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by Nobody: 8:33am On Mar 17, 2017
bilulu:

or maybe u don't no d oba of Benin is greater Dan ur alafin n ooni combine.... if u like go n die

Lol The Oba of Benin greater than the Alaafin. Na so. The Oba of Benin has a lot of cultural relevance - agreed. What most people dont realize is that the cultural relevance was actually propagated by the British. Benin is a coastal town, hence the British came in contact with them first, and were wowed by the african kingdom with complex governance structures, amazing art and lit streets. The british only found out about Oyo much later. Oyo probably had a much more complex governance structure with it's Ogboni, Ilari, Bashorun Gaa, Aare-Ona Kankanfo e.t.c with several checks and balances so that the King could not be too tyrannical. Oyo also ruled over a much larger land mass than Benin, with its empire spreading all the way to modern-day Togo and Benin. Both Obas are great, but none towers over the other.
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by RedboneSmith(m): 8:34am On Mar 17, 2017
ruggedized1:
All those are mere traditional rulers. Only the Obi of Onitsha dynasty is the only one recognised even from the time the colonial masters came.

What is obi of oguta? Please remove that nonsense there. cheesy

[/s]

Mcheew. Echekwa m no mmadu ka mu nia na-akali.
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by kingsmaila(m): 8:56am On Mar 17, 2017
Don't be tribalistic. What of the Attah of Igala, Ochi'Idoma, Estu Nupe , Tor Tiv etc are they not first class chiefs. Be informed we see them as First Class chiefs too. I am a proud Igala Man and see The Attah as a first class chief.
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by MONITZ: 9:02am On Mar 17, 2017
The entire south western monarchies collapsed and surrendered very quickly to british rule and so should not be graded among any first class nonsense.

Nor be today cowardice don dey, it's been in them for ages....
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by Nobody: 9:11am On Mar 17, 2017
Obaluf0n:

Deji, Soun, Ataoja, Timi are all in Baale/Olubadan Ibadan's league.

Soun & Timi thrones are not traditional but founded as a result of Oyo's military kini (ran out of vocabs right now, pardon me).

Deji's throne was founded by Owa Atakumosa of Ilesa and for a while Deji throne was under the influence of Ilesa and I think Ijesa territories expanded towards that front.

Ataoja's throne is a recent throne whose relevance is solely derived from Osogbo being a state capital. In Yoruba history, Osogbo & Ataoja played a latent position in the scheme of things.

Is Alaafin in your list of first class due to Oyo's military power?

I stand corrected.
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by Nobody: 9:16am On Mar 17, 2017
Obaluf0n:

Lol I stopped reading your trip when I got to the emboldened part.

Boy, your exposure to history is fraught with unadultrated ignorance. I can not waste my time with you.
You still haven't said anything different, your knowledge of history is is poor and your defenses weak they are no match for my knowledge of facts....Am glad i put you in ur place, next time be well prepared before you come out to spill trash

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by MONITZ: 9:17am On Mar 17, 2017
Luvlydevin:
There are two kingdom's, the Benin kingdom and the united kingdom, children everywhere saying trash what they know nothing about, i rep the only king that does not go on transfer i rep the great OBA of BENIN
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by igwegeorgiano(m): 9:20am On Mar 17, 2017
Amarabae:
NONSENSE LIST.
where is
1.Obong of Calabar
2. Tor Tiv
3. Attah of Igala etc
i just taya for op sha even the name of d oba of benin wey he nantioned don pai na new oba of benin dey nd him title nah ewuare 2 of benin kingdom
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by pazienza(m): 9:26am On Mar 17, 2017
Basic123:
what is so special in your republic.It is not restricted to igbo land.every town in nigeria has traditional head with its own cabinet.

And we are talking of being more republican,I give it to Oyo empire.They had a prime minister(baashorun gaa),council of ministers.The legislature(oyo mesis),the judiciary(ogbonis).The ilaris(police),the Ajeles(like civil servants)'

How exactly was Oyo republican? Do you know the meaning of that word? Oyo was Monarchical.

Monarchy is a primitive level of governance, I don't know why Nigerians are obsessed about it.

Yes, the Igbo mini republics were special. It's a complex system of democracy that ensured that peace reigned in the region without unnecessary wars of ego, expansionism and power that comes with monarchies, that nearly destroyed Yolobaland in your Kiriji skirmishes.

No system is perfect, but Igbo republican system was and is better, and is closer to what developed nations practice today.

1 Like

Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by AskProf: 9:35am On Mar 17, 2017
fuckerholic:

Sentimental list..what about oblong of calabar ? Edidem prof have forgotten his name ?

How could you have forgotten his name in this age?
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by uwe1980: 9:39am On Mar 17, 2017
Agadagba of Egbema Kingdom- Delta State
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by Btruth: 9:58am On Mar 17, 2017
The topic would rather have been "List the 1st class King in Nigeria". Not you doing the listing.

Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by bangalee1(m): 10:23am On Mar 17, 2017
Emir of ilorin
Etsu Nupe (Bida)
Olofa of Offa
Emir of minna
Orangun ila
Ataoja of Osogbo
Timi of Ede
Etsu of Patigi
Alake of Egbaland
Timi of Ede................ Etc
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by Basic123: 10:46am On Mar 17, 2017
pazienza:

How exactly was Oyo republican? Do you know the meaning of that word? Oyo was Monarchical.

Monarchy is a primitive level of governance, I don't know why Nigerians are obsessed about it.

Yes, the Igbo mini republics were special. It's a complex system of democracy that ensured that peace reigned in the region without unnecessary wars of ego, expansionism and power that comes with monarchies, that nearly destroyed Yolobaland in your Kiriji skirmishes.

No system is perfect, but Igbo republican system was and is better, and is closer to what developed nations practice today.

ok sir
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by Nobody: 10:48am On Mar 17, 2017
MONITZ:

Really, that ur state must be bigger than the country then, I need to know that state asap...

balosunky:
Jesus 10 first kings in your state alone or do u mean ur state first class kings. Even olubadan,oba of lagos and olu of warri are just political first kings just like the Deji of akure speaking from my yoruba's view
well, all I know is, my own king was conferred first class title And I can name 10 who are in my state

Wouldn't know if its state or national First Class. All I know be say First Class na First Class
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by AreaFada2: 10:54am On Mar 17, 2017
shinarambo1:

The obelisk (opa oranmiyan) confirms that he returned to ife. Ifa (the yoruba religion) backs it up too.

What proof have people got that oranmiyan left descedants in katunga(old oyo) or benin? For all we know, they could also be making claim to blood link just like arab kings to mohammed.

He who wears Oduduwa' s original crown is the greatest of the yoruba kings, and that is the 51st Ooni of ife...Oduduwa being the number 1 Ooni. A thousand Alaafin can't make a claim on Ade Aare (Oduduwa's original crown).
An ife prince from centuries ago till present would never bow to an Alaafin or Olowu or any other king in yoruba land. Fact...

Most yoruba towns founded years after the demise of oranmiyan e.g Iwo, Ikire, owo, ila-orangun, Awori, akure, Ado ekiti, aramoko ekiti, emure, ikole, ikere, Usi, kabba e.t.c just to mention a few were established by princes that left ife to build their own settlements...These towns all the way from kogi to lagos have also been distorting histories for years..according to the alaafin... lol

Benin...not so relevant to the history of yoruba. They are a minority tribe.

This is the main issue with many SW people. All they see is population size of a tribe in a country forced together by the British. A fact that was even used to hound GEJ in government.

You simply forget that until about 250 years ago, there was no uniform Yourba nation. You were seen as Egba, Awori, Ijebu, Owo, Oyo and so on. Only Oyo really reached its Zenith, with a considerable empire before Afonja betrayal. Forget about how the Ibadan & Owo came to repel the Jihadists. They were fighting for their own freedom too.

What you and other revisionists forget is that Benin had to give up its right over large former territories far & near effectively in 1897 (British invasion) and officially in 1914 in order for the British to restore the monarchy.

Benin is important to Yoruba for several reasons including:

(a) It gave Oduduwa to Ife. And Oduduwa is father of several Yoruba monarchs.

(2) It had territories in Eastern Yorubaland. Ondo/Ekiti. The boundary agreed between Aare Ona Kakanfo of Oyo empire & Iyase Epkenede of Benin Empire was at Otun (today in Northern Ekiti). Owo Royal Court culture & royal dressing is still reminiscent of Benin royal tradition. As it can also be observed in Olu of Warri palace in Delta and many other places.

(3) Esipka/Asipa & Prince Ado, both from Benin founded Lagos monarchy. It brought a sophisticated system of government and military culture. Lagos monarchy remained faithful to Benin until 1851 when the British removed Oba Kosoko. Even Oba Akintoye still confirmed his obligations to Oba of Benin to the British in 1853.

It is like saying that because Rome was initially a small farming settlement on the Tiber, it couldn't have influenced European history that much. Or because Italy is an average European power today, it couldn't have influenced world history in antiquity. grin cheesy

I have another example of SW people's obsession with minority having no relevance.

I have a minority tribe (Edo) friend who graduated first class from Nigeria's premier university. He works abroad now. Each time their white European colleagues want to understand the frequent crisis in Africa, they ask the minority guy. Because over the years, their European colleagues who care only about competence and skills, have come to appreciate his excellence in dissecting and analyzing African history & politics.

But behind his back, SW colleagues keep telling (showing backbiting prowess again) the Europeans that he's just from an ordinary minority tribe and therefore knows nothing. Perplexed Europeans were asking the minority guy why his countrymen are so weird to link ability to tribe. grin cheesy

Obviously they are jealous of him. Real life thing even here in Europe.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by yomiracles: 11:07am On Mar 17, 2017
Olden days list. We're now in the 21st century, a lot has changed. Kingdoms have developed above Kingdoms.Land space ruled by Kingdoms have both increased and reduced. For instance presently, Ogbomoso is bigger than Oyo,so how come Soun of Ogbomosho isn't in the list, and Alafin is in the list. Moreover, Oyo isn't more developed than Ogbomoso. There are other examples. Nothing is permanent.

Traditions and customs should not be static. Neither should mind set. Let's change our mindsets!
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by blesoh(f): 11:56am On Mar 17, 2017
Amarabae:
NONSENSE LIST.
where is
1.Obong of Calabar
2. Tor Tiv
3. Attah of Igala etc
Hahahahahaha you just crack me up with this your comment, cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by joeyswift(m): 12:09pm On Mar 17, 2017
Obaluf0n:

Asides from the economy & social clout Lagos weilds, Oba of Lagos lacks any cultural relevance tohave been rated first class - except ofcourse the economy & social status of a state affects the class of a king?

Oba Eko is in the same class as Olugbo, Olubadan, Soun, Timi, Ataoja and any throne created or rests on the monarchical relevance or power of another throne & not triggered by cultural system.

----

Alaafin of Oyo throne is still occupied by the blood line of original Alaafin but a lot of things attached to that throne had gotten lost as a result of its migration from Oyo Ile to Ago Oja. Oyo derived its relevance from military expenditions which it never had over Ife throne (another history entirely). Oyo throne should not be classed ahead of Ife; if military might is the determining factor then Olubadan should be ranked before Alaafinas it is a known fact that Alaafin Oyo paid tributes to Baale (now Olubadan) Ibadan & was under Ibadan's military might till the colonial period.

---why are you beefing the the oba of benin? Are you conversant with your history? Have you heard of the great benin empire? Are you aware that the empire got to kogi state,onitsha,down to benin republic? Do u know that he is the most respected monarch? Do u hear him blabbing like your yoruba monarchs? I suggest nairaland should start screening posts

Seeing Emir ranked before Sultan makes it obvious the compiler of this list is not a very bright person.

----

Bini throne is overrated.

The installation procession of a throne tells a lot about the historical relevance it holds. A quick look at the installation procession of the Bini throne and the reverence accorded to it by the Bini shows it is an exagerrated seat. Outside of Bini, the throne does not command much respect nor influence & it has no lasting imprint anywhere outside Edo areas - save for few towns around it.

The Bini throne is in the class of Owa Ijesaland & monarchs in that league.

----
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 17, 2017
peterpen:

You still haven't said anything different, your knowledge of history is is poor and your defenses weak they are no match for my knowledge of facts....Am glad i put you in ur place, next time be well prepared before you come out to spill trash

Says the air head with no contributions whatsoever.
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by Nobody: 12:34pm On Mar 17, 2017
Jarus:

I stand corrected.

Oyo's military achievement can never be blurred but then like Oyo, the Ibadan controllee the entire Yoruba land and even imposed an Ooni in Ife -- Ojaja I, the present Ooni's great grandfather.

Should Ibadan's military expanse earn Olubadan a first class position next to Alaafin if not ahead of Alaafin?

1 Like

Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by Nobody: 1:10pm On Mar 17, 2017
stinggy:

Furnish me with these facts please.

It is in Samuel Johnson's account of Yoruba history. He was around at this time and was a living witness to the events that occurred when Ibadan became the major power.

When I'm settled I'll post a screen shot of the page I read it.
Re: List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend by Nobody: 1:14pm On Mar 17, 2017
Obaluf0n:

Says the air head with no contributions whatsoever.

I really did strike a nerve real hard there.....run off cos i wont stoop so low to ur level lest you rub ur foolishness on me..now run along kid....ur mates are on the play field now..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Return Oba Of Lagos’ Staff Of Office Or Face The Consequences, Ruling House / Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.