Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

Being Single Or Being Married? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being Single Or Being Married? (3742 Views)

What Are The Financial Benefits Of Being Married In Nigeria? / "Being Married In Nigeria Is Inconveniencing" - Lady On Twitter Says / Lady Gets 9 Stitches On Her Head After Being Married To Hubby For One Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by davidif: 4:59pm On Apr 04, 2017
bbeautylik:

My own marriage is normal but not perfect

I'm not saying it is scary
All I am saying here is the life between the married and the single.

Well as for me spending about 2 weeks with my family after a year in marriage was like I was just released from prison

shocked shocked
Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by davidif: 5:06pm On Apr 04, 2017
JerryTemi:
I feel marriage is sweet when you marry your Friend not just marriage but when I see what men do to ladies I fear,when you told yourself that I am OK with this person and the fellow is still rubbing it on your face.I just don't no if marriage is the beat option or staying single and making your money,get pregnant and take care of your child finish.

I guess a lot of people get married for the wrong reasons (sex, to have kids, family pressure, peer pressure, fear of being single forever or of never meeting a better person, hatred of being single, loneliness etc) and that's probably why you hear stories like this. You hardly ever hear a lot of people saying they are getting married because they truly love the person and can't imagine spending the rest of their lives without them.

2 Likes

Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by davidif: 5:10pm On Apr 04, 2017
Omoluabi16:
how can you prefer being married when you're unmarried?

I tire o.
Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by davidif: 5:11pm On Apr 04, 2017
PRISTINEMUSCLES:
Whatever divide you are on, be it singlehood or marriagehood? Enjoy and bask in it. The grass is never truly greener on the other side. It is best you water your own grass so that they become luscious green.
I laugh when i hear single folks say they would truly experience happiness when they get married. Dat is a big fat lie from the abyss of obesity.
If you are a sad,lonely, depressed and pessimitic individual when single, you will most definitely remain so when married. Nothing changes.

No Pain
No Gain.

Gbam!

1 Like

Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by Quinn22(f): 5:29pm On Apr 04, 2017
I prefer being single cool

2 Likes

Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by slyd90(m): 5:38pm On Apr 04, 2017
I'm single n hope to get married as soon as i make enough money to carter for my unborn children...i cant wait to start making babies ....
Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by bbeautylik(f): 8:42pm On May 06, 2017
Now I have a sister, who loved being married when we were single. I thought she got the best fiancé....

Now come and see beating and humiliation

could marriage be a scam?

1 Like

Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by shaybebaby(f): 10:48pm On May 06, 2017
Well, I am divorced and I love it. I have a new partner and a kid from my marriage. So I have the best of both worlds in a sense.
I can enjoy my relationship without the pressure of wondering if it'll end up in marriage. Been there done that.
I do not worry about what if I never find someone to have kids with, I have one already and quite frankly, that's it. Not interested in more.
My ex and my current partner both adore my son, he gets double the love.
When my son goes to his dads, I get a break from parenting and do grown up stuff, holiday with my partner, go out with my friends.
So maybe I have the best of both worlds, not married but not single either. cool

6 Likes

Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by sisisioge: 11:07pm On May 06, 2017
I don't know yet...

I'm single and its OK. I am my own boss. I can divert my movement anyhow. I can choose to cook or not. I can choose to be lazy about chores. My finance is my responsibility. I can choose to work or not. I can choose to be financed by family. I can choose to do as I please. Whew, my married friends envy me...

...but I envy them too. They get to share all their moments with loving eyes and arms. They get to share financial responsibility. They get to have sexxx without anyone giving them the evil eyes. They feel compelled to be better behaved as they are responsible for some people. They get to put up with some serious sheets from time to time. They get to have kids...beautiful ones...yadayadayada.

My dear friend asked me one day where one goes to when annoyed with one's spouse. If the relationship were to be on dating level, one could just go home but once married, home is with him. Whew!

Indeed the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I'll just enjoy the one I know now until it changes. When it does, I will definitely be able to answer accurately grin

4 Likes

Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by Nobody: 7:30am On May 17, 2017
shaybebaby:
Well, I am divorced and I love it. I have a new partner and a kid from my marriage. So I have the best of both worlds in a sense.
I can enjoy my relationship without the pressure of wondering if it'll end up in marriage. Been there done that.
I do not worry about what if I never find someone to have kids with, I have one already and quite frankly, that's it. Not interested in more.
My ex and my current partner both adore my son, he gets double the love.
When my son goes to his dads, I get a break from parenting and do grown up stuff, holiday with my partner, go out with my friends.
So maybe I have the best of both worlds, not married but not single either. cool
Must feel like paradise for you.
Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by shaybebaby(f): 10:37am On May 17, 2017
BoboYekini:
Must feel like paradise for you.
If making the best of the life I've got can be called paradise, then yeah you could say that.

2 Likes

Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by Nobody: 11:09am On May 17, 2017
shaybebaby:

If making the best of the life I've got can be called paradise, then yeah you could say that.

Kinda like having your cake and eating it. Why did you bother to get married though?
I have always wanted such an arrangement. Babydaddy/mama and still living the free single life. Jagua Nana meets Californication.

Honestly, the only real need I can find for marriage - and for purely selfish reasons - is that it communicates to society that you are eligible for higher political/social office.
Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by Nobody: 11:32am On May 17, 2017
davidif:

I guess a lot of people get married for the wrong reasons (sex, to have kids, family pressure, peer pressure, fear of being single forever or of never meeting a better person, hatred of being single, loneliness etc) and that's probably why you hear stories like this. You hardly ever hear a lot of people saying they are getting married because they truly love the person and can't imagine spending the rest of their lives without them.
For the average person, these are all valid and reason enough to get married.
Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by shaybebaby(f): 3:12pm On May 17, 2017
BoboYekini:
Kinda like having your cake and eating it. Why did you bother to get married though?
I have always wanted such an arrangement. Babydaddy/mama and still living the free single life. Jagua Nana meets Californication.

Honestly, the only real need I can find for marriage - and for purely selfish reasons - is that it communicates to society that you are eligible for higher political/social office.
Free single life? Nah.
You guys forget that change is constant. Not everything that happens to you is exactly what you planned, so let me ask you: what do you do when things occur that you did not envisage or plan for at it's inception?

Do you dwell on it and try, by fire by force to get back to where you imagined you should be or pick up what you can and face the future as best as you can?

Thing is, no sane person who loves their partner sets out with the intention of breaking up.. but you and I know break ups happen. It's not new, some make it, some don't make it at the first try and keep trying, some never get to try the first time. Life doesn't happen according to a manual for everyone.

I know the narrative is different what the average naij person expects or would even like to see( it's more comforting for bitter peeps to think that if a woman gives the marriage institution the finger at any point, she is doomed). But I refused to let my story end that way or become the cliche divorced parent.

Marriage in itself is redundant if that is the ultimate goal. I guess people need to ask themselves if it is the ceremony that validates their partnership or if a true loving relationship validates the concept togetherness.
I choose the latter, I love my current partner, but only time will tell if we can make it the whole distance, not marriage.

2 Likes

Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by bukatyne(f): 4:45pm On May 17, 2017
davidif:

Actually,

Sex(satisfaction and combating adultery , children/family, to combat loneliness are the major reasons marriage was created.

It is not good that man should be alone....

2 Likes

Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by bbeautylik(f): 8:08pm On May 17, 2017
lalasticlala which do you prefer?
Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by Nobody: 8:56pm On May 17, 2017
shaybebaby:

Free single life? Nah.
You guys forget that change is constant. Not everything that happens to you is exactly what you planned, so let me ask you: what do you do when things occur that you did not envisage or plan for at it's inception?

Do you dwell on it and try, by fire by force to get back to where you imagined you should be or pick up what you can and face the future as best as you can?

Thing is, no sane person who loves their partner sets out with the intention of breaking up.. but you and I know break ups happen. It's not new, some make it, some don't make it at the first try and keep trying, some never get to try the first time. Life doesn't happen according to a manual for everyone.

I know the narrative is different what the average naij person expects or would even like to see( it's more comforting for bitter peeps to think that if a woman gives the marriage institution the finger at any point, she is doomed). But I refused to let my story end that way or become the cliche divorced parent.

Marriage in itself is redundant if that is the ultimate goal. I guess people need to ask themselves if it is the ceremony that validates their partnership or if a true loving relationship validates the concept togetherness.
I choose the latter, I love my current partner, but only time will tell if we can make it the whole distance, not marriage.

I forget myself in my jaded views. I needed this perspective thanks.

1 Like

Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by davidif: 5:49am On May 18, 2017
BoboYekini:
For the average person, these are all valid and reason enough to get married.

Peer pressure and family pressure? How about waiting till you meet the right person?
Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by Alennsar(f): 10:11am On May 18, 2017
kimbra:
Chai!, Ma'am why are you scaring us?. grin
I think it's because your marriage isn't as fun as you anticipated. I wouldn't want to spend a week in my family house and feel the way you're feeling.

I tink she's expressing her view wrongly but d best freedom you can get is wen you're single.
Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by Viking007(m): 11:17am On May 18, 2017
bbeautylik:
lalasticlala which do you prefer?
Snakes.

1 Like

Re: Being Single Or Being Married? by bbeautylik(f): 12:40pm On May 18, 2017
Viking007:
Snakes.
Not only snakes what about vampires?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? / Husband Tells Bride He Wants A Divorce After Seeing Her Face For The First Time / Is Anything Wrong With This Monthly List A Wife Wrote To Her Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.