Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,802 members, 7,806,241 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:25 PM

The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene (3614 Views)

Maliyo App: A Space For Nigerian Tech Creatives. / Nigerian Tech Whizkid CHRIS KWEKOWE Reveals Why He Turned Down Bill Gate's Offer / Nigerian Tech Industry Becoming Messy !!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by larisoft: 5:33pm On Mar 17, 2017
ITS AWAKENED NIGERIANS TO THE POWER OF SOFTWARE
Just as MMM was gathering momentum, the demand for Nigerian developers skyrocketed. For the first time, people were paying money to an online platform other than betting sites for something that was not forced on them. Millions of girls/women suddenly realized that they could also get paid browsing, as opposed to just chatting online.

This awakening is a very desirable thing as it will definitely outlive the ponzi era, and participants of ponzi websites will be sure to translate their internet skills to more decent sites in the future.

MORE NIGERIANS ARE LEARNING PROGRAMMING THAN EVER

With so many people wanting to own their own ponzi sites, a lot of Nigerians, especially students, have taken the bull by the horns and turned themselves into programmers overnight. With ponzie scripts flying all over the place, the skillset required to deliver a finished ponzi site is minimal. All one has to do most times is intercept one of the source codes, and tug at the html a bit to change the UI.

We now know conclusively, which type of software works with the Nigerian software consumers.

WE NOW KNOW CONCLUSIVELY; WHAT TYPE OF SOFTWARE WORKS WITH NIGERIAN SOFTWARE CONSUMERS

Believe it or not, the Nigerian tech industry has witnessed a lot of potential Mark Zuckerbargs (social network entrepreneurs), Bill Gates (operating system entrepreneurs), e,t,c; they all did their best but their products never really resonated with the common man. But with sites like Nairabet,and now, the numerous ponzi sites, its clear what type of software sells in Nigeria: THAT SOFTWARE THAT PAYS USERS IN CASH

Obviously, Nigeria is a developing country and the numerous productivity apps that most developers have been pushing have just been out of touch with the real needs of the populace. With the advent of these software applications that pointedly address the main issue of the average Nigerian: Poverty; it is clear what kind of apps Nigerian developers should start paying attention to.

THERE ARE SO MANY DOMAINS/HOSTING SPACE TAKEN UP AND UNUSED

Ponzi sites usually do not last for more than a week. And so with all the sites getting launched; many by amateurs who do not realize that they could actually reuse the hosting services with new domains, we have a lot of hosting space paid for, but not being utilized. This is quite an interesting fact as most of these hosting packages are quite large. Ponzi sites usually take in a lot of traffic upon getting launched and thus; require large hosts.

The real waste though, lie in the domain names which will only be used once. This fact is even made worse by the fact that professional cyber squatters snatch domains as soon as they are free. If someone has used a domain name before, chances are that someone else will require it soon. This means that the domain will be out of reach to other potential website owners for atleast a year; and possibly forever (cyber squatters hold on to domains till they sell them at exorbitant prices).

In conclusion, in as much as the ponzi wind is a foul one, it has had very propitious effects on the Nigerian tech landscape and tech stakeholders will benefit from these effects for a long time.

Culled from Nigeria's No1 Programming Blog http://larisoftng..com/2017/03/the-effect-of-ponzi-era-on-nigerian.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by SetrakusRa(m): 7:32pm On Mar 17, 2017
Nice read..
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by larisoft: 6:24am On Mar 18, 2017
Tanks for reading, Bro
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by Craigston: 12:06pm On Mar 18, 2017
You observe well, larisoft!
Another undesired effect is that it has caused some developers to relegate ethics to a place quite lower than it should be. I was approached to setup a ponzi site, but I couldn't take it. I don't regret it anytime.

The proliferation of ponzi schemes demonstrate the general disregard for privacy and online security in Nigeria. The guys that approached me had no decent plan to circumvent possible tracking by law enforcement. They would use their emails, bank account / debit card numbers, registered phone numbers, ... to run the scam.

What might be the most destructive to entrepreneurship in Nigeria is the tendency to equate ponzi administration to internet entrepreneurship: they're orthogonal to each other, and we need to correct that impression in order to move Nigeria's tech community forward.
Again, great observations, larisoft.

1 Like

Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by larisoft: 12:18pm On Mar 18, 2017
Craigston:
Another undesired effect is that it has caused some developers to relegate ethics to a place quite lower than it should be. I was approached to setup a ponzi site, but I couldn't take it. I don't regret it anytime.

The proliferation of ponzi schemes demonstrate the general disregard for privacy and online security in Nigeria. The guys that approached me had no decent plan to circumvent possible tracking by law enforcement. They would use their emails, bank account / debit card numbers, registered phone numbers, ... to run the scam.

What might be the most destructive to entrepreneurship in Nigeria is the tendency to equate ponzi administration to internet entrepreneurship: they're orthogonal to each other, and we need to correct that impression in order to move Nigeria's tech community forward.

Thanks, brother. I totally concur.
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by Craigston: 10:04pm On Mar 18, 2017
Someone attempted trolling a few minutes ago. dhtml18, dem don ban u again?
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by talk2hb1(m): 9:05am On Mar 19, 2017
I predicted all this in my post on linkedin https://www./future-nigeria-ict-habeeb-salami I wrote the post in 2014 (During my Service year) and did not post it on linkedin till 2016 undecided

https://www./future-nigeria-ict-habeeb-salami

Please like and share if you believe in it
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by larisoft: 2:43pm On Mar 19, 2017
talk2hb1:
I predicted all this in my post on linkedin https://www./future-nigeria-ict-habeeb-salami I wrote the post in 2014 (During my Service year) and did not post it on linkedin till 2016 undecided

https://www./future-nigeria-ict-habeeb-salami

Please like and share if you believe in it

Read ur post. It comes from a wider trajectory than this but the predictions were dangerously accurate
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by directonpc(m): 4:12pm On Mar 19, 2017
Nice write up. My contribution, I wish I started my own free ponzi software back then... Maybe I for get more monthly installs than wordpress and guys will be making millions from theme sales wink
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by asalimpo(m): 4:26pm On Mar 19, 2017
Craigston:

The webmasters section don die tey tey... E remain programming section wey spam adverts and ponzi script sellers don dey hijack. And all some mods can do is spend their nights chasing legitimate trolls.
Abeg wey DanielTheGeek: what's happening on friendosphere na? Me be don ready to port.
donjayzi, how about dat Nairaland-2.0? Nairaland is long obsolete for developers. And we need something Nigerian.
Guy, you echo my sentiments, ezatly!! (how some people say 'exactly') smiley
In the early days of nairaland, this section used to be teeming with serious minded people. Saying and contributing stuff worth reading. Today, where dem dey? Unserious posts have driven them all away. The few remaining have changed their status to silent lurkers in transition to quitting the forum altogether. But for tech to grow in nigeria, we need our own indigenous hang out. Foreign media wont do it for us.
To run a large forum like this is not beans but I think Seun lost sight of the big picture in a bid to make money. He shouldve controlled activities on this section according to the overall image he wanted to make of it. Now people with something to contribute will be reluctant to use here because they know it has an air of unseriousness to it(90+% of all post are either noobs replaying old questions or irrelevant ads /posts)!!
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by Nobody: 4:27pm On Mar 19, 2017
Craigston:

The webmasters section don die tey tey... E remain programming section wey spam adverts and ponzi script sellers don dey hijack. And all some mods can do is spend their nights chasing legitimate trolls.
Abeg wey DanielTheGeek: what's happening on friendosphere na? Me be don ready to port.
donjayzi, how about dat Nairaland-2.0? Nairaland is long obsolete for developers. And we need something Nigerian.
Ah well, Nairaland will soon come out, there are some preliminary stuffs that needed to be done first before we get to that point and we shall get there pretty soon.
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by lindaz12: 5:37pm On Mar 19, 2017
You right o.p i hail
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by Nobody: 9:18pm On Mar 19, 2017
Craigston:

I wanted to create a topic about the destruction of this section by the Ponzi Schemes especially Programmers selling scripts to enable this, but realized it's not my business to educate anyone, it's a shame this is what Devs have been reduced to, facilitating scams and ways to wreck people's lives as the plan is one creates a ponzi scheme and once enough money is gotten they disappear, that's what i got from a friend who is into this. What's worse is, I get people asking me to build one or even explain how it works so they can code it, I just tell them am not into MLM. anyway sha
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by Nobody: 9:20pm On Mar 19, 2017
asalimpo:

Guy, you echo my sentiments, ezatly!! (how some people say 'exactly') smiley
In the early days of nairaland, this section used to be teeming with serious minded people. Saying and contributing stuff worth reading. Today, where dem dey? Unserious posts have driven them all away. The few remaining have changed their status to silent lurkers in transition to quitting the forum altogether. But for tech to grow in nigeria, we need our own indigenous hang out. Foreign media wont do it for us.
To run a large forum like this is not beans but I think Seun lost sight of the big picture in a bid to make money. He shouldve controlled activities on this section according to the overall image he wanted to make of it. Now people with something to contribute will be reluctant to use here because they know it has an air of unseriousness to it(90+% of all post are either noobs replaying old questions or irrelevant ads /posts)!!

I visit this section everyday but never comment, it's now a spam section. shame on the mods am now in the Romance section commenting on the ashewo trend tongue
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by talk2hb1(m): 10:06pm On Mar 19, 2017
pcguru1:

I visit this section everyday but never comment, it's now a spam section. shame on the mods am now in the Romance section commenting on the ashewo trend tongue
Ashewo cool
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 19, 2017
pcguru1:

And they have the GUTS to still be banning people? Even me sef cannot find anything to troll or fight about again, I visit this board at least morning and night every single day. But i usually find nothing to talk about, so i just troll out of the board again.

Some of the good posters on this board have moved to romance section, even politics, , , ,
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by Nobody: 6:52pm On Mar 30, 2017
Craigston:

I may not be active on Nairaland, accept my apologies. Friendosphere went down due to a failed renewal fee transaction blocked by my bank. I can't currently make international transactions, I moved a lot of my short term/ small scale web apps to WhoGoHost which cost me N10,000 per site, I'd move friendosphere to WhoGoHost in April along with some of my other websites... I don't mind donations for friendosphere since it's a free service.
Friendosphere will be back in April, I'm sorry for vanishing folks, I'd try to remain as responsive as I used to be.
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 30, 2017
Weldone jare. Maintaining these kind of services are not easy at all.
For the Nairaland fans, dont worry, your wait is almost over - as Nairaland Network Limited has now been approved by C.A.C, just for me to complete the finishing touches for that side and start processing the corporate account, then payment gateways - since there will be means of developers earning money from it (that is the KOKO, but i wont talk too much sha, Nairaland will speak for itself when the time comes) - i want all these completed (even the mobile apps) before I officially launch. I am trying to avoid what happened to NSE API - history must not repeat itself.
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by directonpc(m): 8:48pm On Mar 30, 2017
dhtml18:
For the Nairaland fans, dont worry, your wait is almost over - as Nairaland Network Limited has now been approved by C.A.C, just for me to complete the finishing touches for that side and start processing the corporate account, then payment gateways - since there will be means of developers earning money from it (that is the KOKO, but i wont talk too much sha, Nairaland will speak for itself when the time comes) - i want all these completed (even the mobile apps) before I officially launch. I am trying to avoid what happened to NSE API - history must not repeat itself.
You go gist me about how you do with CAC some time in the future?
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by Nobody: 9:32pm On Mar 30, 2017
directonpc:

You go gist me about how you do with CAC some time in the future?
No biggie, my wife is a lawyer - she handled the whole something
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by Nobody: 10:28pm On Mar 30, 2017
dhtml18:
For the Nairaland fans, dont worry, your wait is almost over - as Nairaland Network Limited has now been approved by C.A.C, just for me to complete the finishing touches for that side ....

Thanks man
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by Craigston: 11:03pm On Mar 30, 2017
DanielTheGeek:

I may not be active on Nairaland, accept my apologies. Friendosphere went down due to a failed renewal fee transaction blocked by my bank. I can't currently make international transactions, I moved a lot of my short term/ small scale web apps to WhoGoHost which cost me N10,000 per site, I'd move friendosphere to WhoGoHost in April along with some of my other websites... I don't mind donations for friendosphere since it's a free service.
Friendosphere will be back in April, I'm sorry for vanishing folks, I'd try to remain as responsive as I used to be.
I wanted to suggest that (donations) but I decided it's up to you. I don't mind donating my one pence; I like the effort you put into it.
Yea, just hold on; we'll vanish together to another forum, but stay with us until then smiley
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by junta001: 11:58pm On Mar 30, 2017
dhtml18:

dhtml are you married....like seriously?
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by directonpc(m): 5:59am On Mar 31, 2017
dhtml18:

lucky you. Anticipating your launch sha.
Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by Nobody: 9:31am On Apr 01, 2017
Craigston:

I wanted to suggest that (donations) but I decided it's up to you. I don't mind donating my one pence; I like the effort you put into it.
Yea, just hold on; we'll vanish together to another forum, but stay with us until then smiley
Once he can highlight his plans to me (how he means to sustain it), I shall do some donations myself - i really love the idea (so he has my full support).
And yes, it appears that Nairaland is getting to the end of its life-cycle for we programmers at least, we need to move elsewhere (and reduce our presence here to the barest minimum).

1 Like

Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by Nobody: 6:50pm On Apr 01, 2017
Craigston:

Wow! That was so hot and cool. Accept my belated good wish: Happy Married Life to Anthony and Abigail.

PS: We still dey wait for Seun and the other one, Seunthomas. Make dem alert us once time reach o.
Thanks, Seun should have married that Linda (or even Laura sef)

1 Like

Re: The Effects Of The Ponzi Era On Nigerian Tech Scene by Nobody: 9:47am On May 03, 2017
dhtml18:

Once he can highlight his plans to me (how he means to sustain it), I shall do some donations myself - i really love the idea (so he has my full support).
And yes, it appears that Nairaland is getting to the end of its life-cycle for we programmers at least, we need to move elsewhere (and reduce our presence here to the barest minimum).

I decided to share this publicly rather than mailing you so other people interested in making donations can read.

The plan:
Friendosphere was built with simplicity and UX in mind, Friendosphere is not meant to compete with other forum sites or QA sites like Quora, it's a unique QA site for devs. Before the site went down I had over 1,000 users registered under the first month it was launched. I plan to advertise friendosphere on various platforms and also generate revenue by placing ads on the site. There are many more features that will be added including web services in the future.
If there is anything you want to know, please ask.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? / Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? / Ways To Easily Get Content For Your Blog Or Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.