Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,989 members, 7,806,878 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous (3259 Views)

What Is The Difference Between The White Vitamin C Tablets And The Orange Ones? / Court Orders NAFDAC To Pay N2million For Approving Fanta, Sprite / 'Taking Fanta, Sprite With Vitamin C Is Poisonous' - Court Orders NAFDAC To Warn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 9:39pm On Mar 17, 2017
A Nigerian Court has ordered the National Agency for Food, Drug Administration and Control to direct the Nigeria Bottling Company Plc., manufacturers of Fanta and Sprite soft drinks, to include a warning on the bottles of the product, that its content cannot be taken with Vitamin C.

Justice Adedayo Oyebanji of the Lagos High Court, Igbosere, gave the order following a suit filed by a businessman, Fijabi Adebo, and his firm, Fijabi Adebo Holdings Ltd.

The legal action, which was instituted in 2008, had NBC and NAFDAC as defendants. Mr. Fijabi’s lawyer, Abiodun Onidare, told the court that his client bought large quantities of different products from NBC for export to the UK but when they arrived at their destination, Fanta and Sprite failed UK Health Authorities’ (Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council’s Trading Standards Department of Environment and Economy Directorate) sample test for human consumption, as they became poisonous when mixed with Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).

The claimants demanded N15.1 million as special damages and N1.6 million being the money the NBC admitted it received from the claimants. In its defense, the NBC, through its lawyer, T. O. Busari, said it was not negligent as claimed by the plaintiff, saying it has stringent quality control procedures to ensure that its products are safe for end-user consumption.

The NBC argued that the levels of the chemical components in its soft drinks are safe for consumption in Nigeria and that the claimants are not entitled to the recovery of damages arising from their illegal exportation of products meant for local distribution. NAFDAC did not file any defense in the case. Justice Oyebanji ruled that the knowledge of the Nigeria Bottling Company that the products were to be exported was immaterial to its being fit for human consumption.

“The court is in absolute agreement with the learned counsel for the claimants that soft drinks manufactured by Nigeria Bottling Company ought to be fit for human consumption irrespective of colour or creed,” he said. “It is manifest that NAFDAC has been grossly irresponsible in its regulatory duties to the consumers of Fanta and Sprite manufactured by Nigeria Bottling Company.”

The judge said NAFDAC had failed Nigerians by its certification as satisfactory for human consumption, products which in the United Kingdom failed sample test for human consumption and which become poisonous in the presence of Ascorbic Acid ordinarily known as Vitamin C, which can be freely taken by the unsuspecting public with the company’s Fanta or Sprite.

“The court, in the light of the damning evidence before it showing that NAFDAC has failed to live up to expectations, cannot close its eyes to the grievous implication of allowing the status quo to continue as it is,” the judge said. He ruled that, “That NAFDAC shall forthwith mandate Nigeria Bottling Company to, within 90 days hereof, include on all the bottles of Fanta and Sprite soft drinks manufactured by the company, a written warning that the content of the said bottles of Fanta and Sprite soft drinks cannot be taken with Vitamin C as same becomes poisonous if taken with Vitamin C. “In consideration of the fact that this case was filed in 2008 and that it has been in court for nine years, costs of N2 million is awarded against NAFDAC. Interest shall be paid on the costs awarded at the rate of 10% per annum until liquidation of the said sum.”

Source: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/226100-drinking-fanta-sprite-vitamin-c-toxic-nigerian-court-rules-slams-nafdac.html

Cc: Lalasticlala, Seun, Mynd44 and all the other mods. Pls do the needful to spread d word.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 9:42pm On Mar 17, 2017
Pls am sorry about it being cramped up, I am on my phone now, would try edit and space it out when i get on my laptop.
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 2:10pm On May 06, 2017
Trapqueen77 grin grin grin

Bia hia kiss
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by Nobody: 2:14pm On May 06, 2017
So we can't mix the drink again shocked sad

So fanta and vitamin c = death chai
But no be real orange ?? They use to make it and isn't orange a natural source of vitamin C
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by Nobody: 2:14pm On May 06, 2017
KennyID17:
Trapqueen77 grin grin grin

Bia hia kiss
grin

Hahahah...nawaaaa...u wan me chase ur azz all the tme ooo
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 2:16pm On May 06, 2017
TrapQueen77:

grin

Hahahah...nawaaaa...u wan me chase ur azz all the tme ooo

Ok,

Of course, u know u gotta add d country code which is +234.

Quote me now now Abeg!
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 06, 2017
KennyID17:

Ok,

Of course, u know u gotta add d country code which is +234.

Quote me now now Abeg!

Got it
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 06, 2017
grin

Will add u ASAP... grin
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 2:21pm On May 06, 2017
Bumbae1:
So we can't mix the drink again shocked sad

So fanta and vitamin c = death chai
But no be real orange ?? They use to make it and isn't orange a natural source of vitamin C

Babe, no na, d thing is fanta contains a preservative, benzoic acid, if high concentrations of it comes in contact with d right amount of vitamin c, it would react and produce a carcinogenic end product (Chemistry).

What they basically saying is that, don't use any of these drinks as ur solution when taking vit C. Use water instead. Hope u understand now? smiley

2 Likes

Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by Nobody: 2:22pm On May 06, 2017
KennyID17:

Babe, no na, d thing is fanta contains a preservative, benzoic acid, if high concentrations of it comes in contact with d right amount of vitamin c, it would react and produce a carcinogenic end product (Chemistry).

What they basically saying is that, don't use any of these drinks as ur solution when taking vit C. Use water instead. Hope u understand now? smiley

But i take tablets with Coke
Hate water angry. Can only drink those flavoured ones
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 2:26pm On May 06, 2017
Bumbae1:

But i take tablets with Coke
Hate water angry. Can only drink those flavoured ones

Coke wasn't stated, but i don't think its safe to use carbonated soft drinks as ur solution when taking any drug.

So u hate water, well i guess fela was wrong then, water has one enemy now, Bumbae1 grin grin grin
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by Nobody: 2:28pm On May 06, 2017
KennyID17:

Coke wasn't stated, but i don't think its safe to use carbonated soft drinks as ur solution when taking any drug.

So u hate water, well i guess fela was wrong then, water has one enemy now, Bumbae1 grin grin grin
Yh dont know why people drink it
Honestly used to throw up when i drink it .. now i have to add lime or lemon if not Coke
Health wise not really good but will try overcome it .. anyway still safe sha cheesy
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 2:34pm On May 06, 2017
Bumbae1:

Yh dont know why people drink it
Honestly used to throw up when i drink it .. now i have to add lime or lemon if not Coke
Health wise not really good but will try overcome it .. anyway still safe sha cheesy

Not safe oo, nothing beats water, health wise!

1 Like

Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 9:25pm On May 09, 2017
Bumbae1 kiss kiss kiss
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 09, 2017
KennyID17:
Bumbae1 kiss kiss kiss
Sweeri u bk? cheesy
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 9:28pm On May 09, 2017
Bumbae1:

Sweeri u bk? cheesy

Nope she's back grin grin tongue
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by Nobody: 9:31pm On May 09, 2017
KennyID17:

Nope she's back grin grin tongue
Haha dont think Tq online
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 9:33pm On May 09, 2017
Bumbae1:

Haha dont think Tq online

Yh, she no even ask of me once embarassed

Cold world cry

Awayu joor cheesy grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by Nobody: 9:34pm On May 09, 2017
KennyID17:

Yh, she no even ask of me once embarassed

Cold world cry

Awayu joor cheesy grin cheesy
Lol she probably didnt realise u mia
Im good about to have dinner just waiting on something seff ..
so when r u etting it bk ?
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 9:39pm On May 09, 2017
Bumbae1:

Getting it back?

Ain't never getting it back cry

Getting a replacement this WK sha cheesy

Abi you wanna send me one of yours? cheesy grin cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by Nobody: 9:40pm On May 09, 2017
KennyID17:

Getting it back?

Ain't never getting it back cry

Getting a replacement this WK sha cheesy

Abi you wanna send me one of yours? cheesy grin cheesy grin grin grin
Oh ok number nko
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 9:40pm On May 09, 2017
Bumbae1:

What's for dinner sef?

Rice? tongue
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by Nobody: 9:40pm On May 09, 2017
KennyID17:

What's for dinner sef?

Rice? tongue
As usual grin
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 9:42pm On May 09, 2017
Bumbae1:

Oh ok number nko

Gonna do a phone number retrieval

Hopefully by Saturday/Sunday I should be chatting to u again!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 9:43pm On May 09, 2017
Bumbae1:

As usual grin

One of these days, e go grow for ya head grin grin grin

What new shows are on?

I feel blind without d Internet cry cry cry
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 11:17am On May 14, 2017
Iamkashybaby grin
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by Nobody: 11:20am On May 14, 2017
KennyID17:
Iamkashybaby grin
grin

uumm..yes Mr. V? tongue
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 11:23am On May 14, 2017
IamKashyBaby:

grin

uumm..yes Mr. V? tongue

My bbm pin

Since u refused to unblock me on WhatsApp cry embarassed
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 14, 2017
KennyID17:

My bbm pin D8D0AE7C

Since u refused to unblock me on WhatsApp cry embarassed

hahaha...okies..i will unblock u as long u wont be tripping anymore kiss
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by Titilayooni(f): 12:10pm On May 14, 2017
KennyID17:

lmao,make it 2 cos i dnt use water too,rather i make tea or milk only..i dnt use soft drinks
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 12:40pm On May 14, 2017
IamKashyBaby:

hahaha...okies..i will unblock u as long u wont be tripping anymore kiss
Re: Drinking Fanta Or Sprite With Vitamin C Is Potentially Poisonous by KennyID17(m): 9:49am On May 17, 2017
Bumbae1!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

We Sell Ionic / Colloidal Silver in Nigeria / Natural Remedies For Varicose Veins / Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Snake As Their Symbol/logo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.