Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,771 members, 7,802,363 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:04 PM

PHOTOS: Police "Assaults" And Detain Mum With Baby Over Refusal To Pay Bribe. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / PHOTOS: Police "Assaults" And Detain Mum With Baby Over Refusal To Pay Bribe. (545 Views)

Zambian Landlady Pours Hot Porridge On Tenant's 1-Year-Old Baby Over Unpaid Rent / Two Men Fight, Complain To Police Over Refusal To Pay After Anal Sex / Police Assault And Detain US Returnee And Her Baby (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHOTOS: Police "Assaults" And Detain Mum With Baby Over Refusal To Pay Bribe. by philpwresh(m): 7:08pm On Mar 18, 2017
A woman, Toyin Adeleye, who returned from the United States of America about a week ago had a feel of the brutality of the Nigerian police on Friday in Ado-Ekiti State after she reportedly refused to give bribe to police at a check point in the city.

The woman was manhandled along with her two-month-old baby, Heritage, and her younger brother, Adeniyi Dada, by five officers before they were detained at a police station.

The incident occurred at the checkpoint in front of the Ekiti Pavilion and a few metres from the official residence of the newly deployed Commissioner of Police, Abdullahi Chafe.

Apart from detaining their victims, the policemen also impounded the black Kia Picanto car with registration number LAGOS FKJ 221 EE which she drove while returning from the market.

The injured woman was seen breastfeeding her baby when journalists visited the police station on Saturday.
The woman’s husband, Akanni Adeyeye, while speaking to journalists, lamented the inhuman treatment meted out to his wife, pointed out that she had bruises on her face and lacerations on her body.

Mrs. Adeyeye’s bruised body
Mr. Adeyeye, who slept in the police station to keep his wife company, said the policemen had requested the vehicle papers and the driver’s license of his brother-in-law, who was driving the car.

He said one of the policemen withheld car documents given to them, demanding that they be “settled,”. He said the demand was rebuffed since the papers were valid.
“My wife and her brother were returning from the market at about 3.00 p.m. on Friday and on arrival at the checkpoint in front of the Pavilion very close to their station, they asked for all vehicle papers and driver’s licence which were produced and they are valid,” he explained.

Mrs. Adeyeye breast feeding at detention
“After checking all the documents, the policemen were demanding for money to be given as ‘settlement’ which my wife and her brother refused. My wife drew their attention to the baby that was crying in the car.

“Five of them were beating her at the point of arrest and on getting to the station, the beating continued. After thoroughly beating her, they obtained her statement around 10.00 p.m. There are wounds on the back of my wife and face to show for it.

“On getting to the station, they now cooked up a story that my wife slapped one of them and tore his uniform which is a lie. They are telling this lie to justify their action of their cruelty to my wife, my baby and my brother-in-law.

“Neither my wife nor her brother slapped any policeman or tore any uniform. The question to be asked is how would somebody who is not armed attack an armed policeman? They cooked up this falsehood to cover up their brutality,” he said.

The Ekiti State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Chafe, claimed Mrs. Adeyeye was detained for attacking a policeman on duty.
He said the woman tore the uniform of the policeman, adding that the matter would be further investigated.
“Those people slapped my policeman on duty and tore their uniform,” he said.
“Uniform is an authority and what those people did was against the law and it is not good for a civilian to slap a policeman.

“It is not good for somebody to prevent a law enforcement officer from carrying out his lawful duty.
“It is not about his age but the authority he carries. I don’t allow my men to do something contrary to the law.
“I don’t want a woman to be detained with baby or with pregnancy. I don’t want an old woman or a minor to be detained. I have taken note of this and we will take the right action on the matter.

SOURCE

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/226474-police-assault-detain-mum-baby-alleged-bribe.html

Re: PHOTOS: Police "Assaults" And Detain Mum With Baby Over Refusal To Pay Bribe. by BeeBeeOoh(m): 7:12pm On Mar 18, 2017
Someone once said that Nigeria is an evil forest, I think the person said the truth angry angry angry
Re: PHOTOS: Police "Assaults" And Detain Mum With Baby Over Refusal To Pay Bribe. by Blizzy9ja: 7:13pm On Mar 18, 2017
crazy ars po-po
Re: PHOTOS: Police "Assaults" And Detain Mum With Baby Over Refusal To Pay Bribe. by Nobody: 7:19pm On Mar 18, 2017
"Our friends" angry
Re: PHOTOS: Police "Assaults" And Detain Mum With Baby Over Refusal To Pay Bribe. by Jabioro: 7:20pm On Mar 18, 2017
Nigerians Police were at it again.. those bad eggs should be flushed out.. today something good would be coming from them and before you say Jack Robinson weird news will oozed from corner..
Re: PHOTOS: Police "Assaults" And Detain Mum With Baby Over Refusal To Pay Bribe. by Young03(m): 7:22pm On Mar 18, 2017
Angel Michael iam still waiting for ur trumpet oo

wanna fly out
Re: PHOTOS: Police "Assaults" And Detain Mum With Baby Over Refusal To Pay Bribe. by akinsadeez(m): 7:23pm On Mar 18, 2017
The useless COP is also corroborating the cock and bull story of the policemen. Smh undecided

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: Police "Assaults" And Detain Mum With Baby Over Refusal To Pay Bribe. by joinnow: 7:32pm On Mar 18, 2017
Re: PHOTOS: Police "Assaults" And Detain Mum With Baby Over Refusal To Pay Bribe. by philpwresh(m): 7:36pm On Mar 18, 2017
Some Nigerians are more terrified of policemen than armed robbers of kidnappers..

Are they not the ones that are supposed to protect us and our properties,but they are the ones terrorising good civilians..

Some witnesses of some crimes cannot come forward with their testimony because it is nearly impossible to put your trust in Nigerian police...

I just wish the officers responsible for this assault should be treated like the criminals they are...
Re: PHOTOS: Police "Assaults" And Detain Mum With Baby Over Refusal To Pay Bribe. by duduwest(m): 8:00pm On Mar 18, 2017
The best thing to do is just Find a way to settle this mess amicably cos most of this officer are badly corrupt and they are ready to do and undo to justify their action. I have this kind of experience like two or three times let me share my own with you too. First one occurred at ikorodu on my way to agbowa I drove my master infinity car and when got to their checkpoint, the first officer ask all they normally ask of and I provide it and he ask of what I ate remain(tip) I told him when am return I will bring something for him so I went my way after through @ agbowa I met them at the same spot but I was stop by another officer so he ask of the car paper and drivers licence which i gave him then he request for tip and I told him I have promise one of them on my way going that is where I have wronged him he said I should call the owner of the car to cut the story shot he drag me to there station at imota. He said I wanted to hit him with the car. secondly he said I told him that I know people abroad all because of say I said the owner of the car is not in town. Lastly he said I refused to show my driving licence. Its only God and his other colleague's who rescue me if not I don't know what to say again
Re: PHOTOS: Police "Assaults" And Detain Mum With Baby Over Refusal To Pay Bribe. by duduwest(m): 8:33pm On Mar 18, 2017
My second experience occurred at ijora by railway. I went there with my friends to buy. Ram or goat for naming ceremony of one of our friend who just have a new baby. So when we get there I parked at back of one kekke napep. While other people park at the same lane like danfo taxi and okada. So we went to where we will buy the goat and when we are through my friends are paying when they ask me to go and open the booth For the people who will help us to tied them inside car. By getting to where I parked I saw two uniform policemen in front of my car they are trying to remove the back plate number after they've successfully removed the front one so I rushed to them and said Oga hope there is no problem then one of them ask if I know who Parked the car and I told them its my car the next he said was where is the car key. And I showed him then he said I should bring it and I ask why the next I will see is dirty slap from behind from the other Cop he said am argued with his boss. That's how it started they beat the hell out of me but me too I show the one who slapped me cos I beat him enter inside gutter still cut two of his button but not knowing to me that there station is not far to the place. Like four or five of them trying to carry me enter there vehicle but they don't have my power. At the end we paid #10,000 for the uniform which I cut the button so since then I don't drag anything with anybody in black uniform again.

(1) (Reply)

Fresh Clash In Osun / German Bus Driver Pay Sum Of £8500 As Penalty (must See His Offence ) / EFCC Docks Whistle Blowers Over False Information

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.