Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

Tired With Ican Exams! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tired With Ican Exams! (17025 Views)

How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours / Adance Your Career With ICAN Easily Here / ICAN EXAMS-GENERAL THREAD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tired With Ican Exams! by Bukittes(f): 11:39pm On Dec 19, 2009
I need to know what other professional exam i can write with my ICAN intermediate. Walahi i don tire for ICAN!!
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by Focusmind: 1:52am On Dec 20, 2009
Bukities dont be tired - I was in your shoes when I started my own Ican, but today, I am a Chartered Accountant. Let the future benefit be the motivation. I tell you if you stop, there are thousand and one people there still struggling it out. The end justifies the means. So, carry on if you have the money
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by slimes(m): 8:46pm On Dec 20, 2009
If only you knew the future benefits, you'll not be talking like this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by Nobody: 10:48am On Dec 21, 2009
In all humility, I think ICAN exams as they are structured now are one of the cheapest exams around. Being an Econs grad with no background in Accounting, I started from foundation and now on the verge of qualifying. I think the hype about ICAN being so difficult is exaggerated.
Baby, don't be scared. Face it. I crash for ICAN in five days and pass at ease, including winning prizes. One thing I've come to realize is that you don't need to even finish syllabus before passing(I don't cover 15% of the syllabus sometimes). Go through enough past questions and examine the solutions. You don't need any cramming, just understand the principles, just familiarize yourself with major topics. I'm surprised you said elsewhere that you've written PE1 five times, failing FA1 and tax repeatedly. That FA1, Nov 08 diet, is the cheapest exam I've ever seen in my life, source documents, benefits of IT in accounting etc. Things one can easily answer without ever opening an Accounting textbook. I agree idea may not be able to work in Tax, but then, if you can pass Costing and Audtiting in Intermediate, I see no reason why you can't pass FA1 or Tax.

Yes, you can. It's very surmountable. Just keep trying

5 Likes

Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by mayorde(m): 10:09am On Dec 22, 2009
jarus. although ican exams may not be as difficult as it is being exaggerated but i think you are oversimplifying it too. how on earth can you crash for ican exam in 5 days and yet win prizes or cover 15%. hmmmmmmmm bros. well some people are born genius sha.
i started from ATS 1, used to b a science student, just passed my pe 2 and failed only once in ATS 3 due to poor preparation. but it isnt that simple or hard .
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by ant01: 10:50am On Dec 22, 2009
Jarus is absolutely right,
well i didn't do ican, i did acca.
it is all about knowing the principles, correct application of it, this can be covered going through lots of past questions and looking at the suggested solutions. i always preach this to fellow colleagues who struggled with acca,
i spend at least 8hours in the library a day, do past question under "exam conditions", and award myself marks - not generously! then go to the areas i didnt do well in and read it up.
all is well, work hard and you will surely get there.

3 Likes

Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by Eggyloo: 11:53pm On Dec 22, 2009
@ poster:-

Whatever is making u run from ICAN Intermediate right now because of the level of ''difficulty'' will also make u run from an alternative professional exam should u begin one. U need to have a self-examination and (honestly) come up with possible reasons why u weren't able to proceed to another stage. It could be as a result of:-

- internal factors like lack of motivation, anxiety towards exam date, emotional strain, ur assimilation rate and how u relate knowledge gained with practical examples for better understanding

- OR externally generated like inadequate reading materials, inability to locate a conducive environment for reading, poor time mgt, inability to combine studies with work, financial stress, to mention a few.

I might even suggest u take a break for say,1 diet, to sort things out before u continue again.

My point is that u need to keep aiming and pressing towards d finished line, which is, ur desire to become a chartered accountant. D motivation to preserve must come from within unless u might just be frustrated with the whole process. Remember, gold is not found on the surface. Bukittes, go for gold!!!!!!
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by tos(m): 12:32pm On Dec 23, 2009
Bukittes:

I need to know what other professional exam i can write with my ICAN intermediate. Walahi i don tire for ICAN!!

I think you should look for another tutors to coach you. There are very good ones around - Wyse, Pye and the one at Surulere (I've forgotten the name). Please dont listen to Jarus on his tale about how simple the exams are. The exams can only be made simple by adequate preparation. Try to ask questions in class and partcipate in group discussions with your mates. This will give you the opportunity of identifying areas of the syllabus where you are weak and others will be able to help you out as well.

Please dont give up after passing intermediate. I am not sure which professional body will give any meaningful exemptions for intermediate level.

Also note that passing Costing and Auditing is not a prerequisite for passing FA or Tax (especially) as they are not entirely related.
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by Nobody: 12:46pm On Dec 23, 2009
tos:

I think you should look for another tutors to coach you. There are very good ones around - Wyse, Pye and the one at Surulere (I've forgotten the name). Please dont listen to Jarus on his tale about how simple the exams are. The exams can only be made simple by adequate preparation. Try to ask questions in class and partcipate in group discussions with your mates. This will give you the opportunity of identifying areas of the syllabus where you are weak and others will be able to help you out as well.

Please dont give up after passing intermediate. I am not sure which professional body will give any meaningful exemptions for intermediate level.

Also note that passing Costing and Auditing is not a prerequisite for passing FA or Tax (especially) as they are not entirely related.

I have never advised anybody not to prepare. I have always believed that no matter how brilliant you are, you just have to prepare. No two ways about it. I was just trying to advise on the easiest preparation he can make - "Go through enough past questions and examine the solutions. You don't need any cramming, just understand the principles, just familiarize yourself with major topics".

I have never been a believer in over-studying. I go for the shortest possible cut - treat past questions, roughly cover major topics and relax, especially when I don't have much time.
I have never attended any ICAN class yet I have 3 ICAN prizes under my belt, including Overall Best candidate in one of the diets.

Also, I didn't say Costing and Auditing are prerequisites for passing FA and Tax. I just felt the former are simpler than the latter, and trying to build a 'if-I-can-pass-x-why-can't-I-pass-Y' spirit in her.

3 Likes

Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by dapsins69(m): 8:30am On Dec 28, 2009
With ICAN and all other professional examinations what you need is consistency,dedication, hardwork and prayers. I wrote from ats3 to pe 3 and i didnt fail any stage.I qualified May 2009.Be Consistent and God will help You.Presently preparing for CISA(certified Information Sytem Audit) cetification and a 24 yrs old Undegrad of Uniben.Cheers
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by Simplesoul(f): 5:22pm On Dec 28, 2009
what happens if someone has a reference in FRAP PE3 stage? i have only FRAP remaining in my PE3 and this is my second time i am failing it Huh with this new syllabus, what am I expected to write come May 2010? i dont understand this new ICAN stuff, can somebody help me?
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by walestar01(m): 12:00pm On Jan 04, 2010
Inspiration and depression, which way to follow, i am afraid to enter ICAN program while some people was saying they are tired while others saying all you need to know is the principle,may God have mercy,alagbara lo ma last
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jan 04, 2010
can anybody in the house throw more light on the new sylabus. i had reference in tax 1 and its my first attempt. i dont know much about the new syllabus and there is not much information about that on the ICAN website.
i also intend enrolling for CISA since i will be rewriting just 1 paper in d ICAN exams (any useful information/advice is welcomed
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by mayorde(m): 1:33pm On Jan 05, 2010
For those who have refrence in any paper in the Old syllabus, they are to write the refrenced subject(s) cos the old syllabus will still available till Nov 2010( or 2011 cant remeber). if you have pdf file or acrobat reader you can download the syllabus from the institutes website
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jan 22, 2010
changed syllabus
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by Bukittes(f): 11:30am On Jan 25, 2010
Thanks for all the replies and encouragement here. You guys are really worth being friends with. Thanks ya'll! Meanwhile, I heard they are amending the syllabus and we really don't know what and what anyone is writing yet. Do u have an update on events? Like I have 2 refs in PE1, am i gonna write the new PE1 or what. Note that I have a ref in Taxation which is now in Intermediate.
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by fhamoo(m): 4:51pm On Jan 26, 2010
well, like the addage which says HE WHO HAVE A CAP, HAVE NO HEAD, and HE WHO HAVE HEAD HAVE NO CAP. I wish I have half the chance you have, nothing in this world is easy, so ican to me is the cheapest thing, you can immagine people passing this yeye exam winning prices, just try me with #200.000 and i will start from ats 3 and deliver the certificate to you by may 2011
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by Yoighaman(m): 4:52pm On Jan 28, 2010
Jarus:

I have never advised anybody not to prepare. I have always believed that no matter how brilliant you are, you just have to prepare. No two ways about it. I was just trying to advise on the easiest preparation he can make - "Go through enough past questions and examine the solutions. You don't need any cramming, just understand the principles, just familiarize yourself with major topics".

I have never been a believer in over-studying. I go for the shortest possible cut - treat past questions, roughly cover major topics and relax, especially when I don't have much time.
I have never attended any ICAN class yet I have 3 ICAN prizes under my belt, including Overall Best candidate in one of the diets.

Also, I didn't say Costing and Auditing are prerequisites for passing FA and Tax. I just felt the former are simpler than the latter, and trying to build a 'if-I-can-pass-x-why-can't-I-pass-Y' spirit in her.

There's no substitute for hard work including passing your ICAN exams.

I am in sync with the above quote; it worked for me in dem days.

all the best.
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by sulad82i(m): 1:43pm On Feb 02, 2010
I know its on a diff scales, but can anyone tell me the similarities btw ICAN and the CPA exam in the US? What we are being taught is totally diff from what I learn in 9ja but I will like to do ICAN as well.
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by lucym: 4:36pm On Feb 03, 2010
Please anyone with info concerning those with reference in the old syllabus should update us. Thanks!
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 13, 2011
plsssssssss can someone tell me how to find last years ican pe 1 diet question. i really need it. thanks.
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by amash(f): 4:05pm On Apr 04, 2012
Plz can anyone tell ne wats its like to write in ogbomosho... Av been transferred ther nd I have to write may 2012 diet. Thankyou. Its urgent
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by Sekso(m): 10:38am On Jul 02, 2012
I
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by Sekso(m): 10:43am On Jul 02, 2012
Jarus: In all humility, I think ICAN exams as they are structured now are one of the cheapest exams around. Being an Econs grad with no background in Accounting, I started from foundation and now on the verge of qualifying. I think the hype about ICAN being so difficult is exaggerated.
Baby, don't be scared. Face it. I crash for ICAN in five days and pass at ease, including winning prizes. One thing I've come to realize is that you don't need to even finish syllabus before passing(I don't cover 15% of the syllabus sometimes). Go through enough past questions and examine the solutions. You don't need any cramming, just understand the principles, just familiarize yourself with major topics. I'm surprised you said elsewhere that you've written PE1 five times, failing FA1 and tax repeatedly. That FA1, Nov 08 diet, is the cheapest exam I've ever seen in my life, source documents, benefits of IT in accounting etc. Things one can easily answer without ever opening an Accounting textbook. I agree idea may not be able to work in Tax, but then, if you can pass Costing and Audtiting in Intermediate, I see no reason why you can't pass FA1 or Tax.

Yes, you can. It's very surmountable. Just keep trying
This is one of the misleading comments that must have slowed down success rate in may 2012 diet! You are insulting the reputation of the institute as well! Be sure some of your examiners read these posts on nairaland!
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by adevicks(m): 3:34am On Jul 03, 2012
Sekso:
This is one of the misleading comments that must have slowed down success rate in may 2012 diet! You are insulting the reputation of the institute as well! Be sure some of your examiners read these posts on nairaland!
ICAN had only made a statement with the May 2012 diet. They just proved people wrong that they can still come up with new questions. I believe many of those who failed were the ones who think they can pass through taking the shortest cut possible. Studying only past questions or covering just 15% of the syllabus? I wonder if such people are in the profession for the knowledge or just the certificate!

1 Like

Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by amash(f): 5:09am On Jul 03, 2012
May 2012 diet was just a waste of time.... Money and energy.... I speak no more

1 Like

Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by Bosky65: 2:06pm On Jul 19, 2012
ICAN exams need serious preparation. It also requires techniques.ICAN still lift questions from their study pack in May 2012 diet. Especially FA and AAA.ON FA,questions was lift from study pack- Farmer's account, cashflow, and ratio analysis from past questions. AAA from Pathfinder, e.g E-commerce, failure on fiancial statements ETC. Even in M.A and IT in pe 1.One doesn't know where they are going to lift questions from whether from pathfinder, pilot or study pack. but surely ICAN does lift questions.Come November 2012, they will stii lift ouestions. ican only change figures but principles are the same

1 Like

Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by roarowolo(f): 9:29pm On Aug 31, 2012
This is to inform you that enrolment for ATSWA September 2012 is still on. Sale of pin voucher had been extended to 11 September 2012 and the website remains opened for registration up till 12noon of 12 September 2012. For further details, please call to 01-8714495 or 08033741904 or 07062888990 or 08028369181.
Thanks.
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by kellyjessy1gma: 10:02am On Feb 14, 2013
Dont give up, you can still make it.
ICAN is very relevant for every accountant that wants to be really successful
Contact Topfield Tutors for ICAN ATS, Foundation Intermediate and PE I in Lagos, Quiz Pack is also available
Call 08020647499, 07041850660
or Email: gbolaboonasanya@yahoo.com
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by Pee4Pee: 3:04pm On Feb 20, 2013
Please i need advice. I just got my reg. number as an ICAN foundation student.How do i pay the the six thousand naira annual subscription charge.
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by ifeolujayjay: 6:49am On Jul 26, 2013
Plsssss house.......i nid ifrs materials for pe1......cos i want to do nov diet exams...i will be glad if i can get it asap.....tnx....ifeolujayjay@yahoo.com
Re: Tired With Ican Exams! by contra(m): 7:32am On Nov 15, 2013
You can start your preparations from here;
http://paulipopor..com/2013/08/the-secrets-to-passing-ican-pe1-exams.html?m=1

Never give up.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Has Been Your Greatest Challenge In Life? / Did You Recently Quit Your Job For Another One? Let Us Share Experiences / Should I Chase The Money Or Focus On School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.