Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,075 members, 7,807,217 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) (78636 Views)

Lady Jumps Down From A Bike And Starts Misbehaving In Ado Ekiti (Video) / Woman Jumps Into Osun River Over Hunger Caused By Lockdown / Mother Of Doctor Who Jumped Into Lagoon: "My Son Will Be Rescued Alive" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by vivavik(f): 12:29am On Mar 20, 2017
9jakohai:
Depression

It actually is a serious problem among medical doctors.

Doctors get depressed. Because the medical job is full of stress.

Modified

In reading some of the comments here, I see a lot of jokes and a lot of funny comments, so let me explain to you all why that doctor jumped, and why he was that depressed to jump.

Many medical students face a lot of pressure from the time they decide to read medicine. It starts at unviersity. You are suddenly reading tough courses, and most of the time, you have no idea of what you are doing. The amount to read is too much, and the time to read it is too little. Your professors and lecturers expect much from you, your family expects much from you, and somehow...after the first three years of preclinical studies, you pass...and it is on to the next three years of clinical studies.

But then you go to the clincal side...and it is as if the pressure increases. You are expected to not only master plenty more stuff...you are also expected to take part in managing real live patients. And the thing is, there are many patients who come to hospital that will die. Many will die of some of the most horrible diseases known to man. I can still recall seeing a young woman my age, when I was in 400 level , dying from HIV. Someone my age...dying from HIV. Or the time I watched a father die in front of his fifteen year old son....and in that moment I watched as a young boy became fatherless in minutes. After a while it gets to you, this constant train of death in the clinics, of suffering in the clinics, of pain, hurt and fears. And added to that is your own academic fears, then, after 3 years of that, you graduate.

Then you become a house officer, and then a resident. Your responsibilities increase. You begin to see more and more patients come in, whom you diagnose with illnesses that in some cases cannot be cured. Or you struggle to take care of a very sick patient, like the time I was responsible for a baby as a house officer, who was very sick and who despite the best efforts of the medical team, died. And what;s sad about the case was that if the child had survived, it would have been severely disabled for life. Meanwhile, you struggle against poor equipment, against lack of facilities, bad working environemnt, and the idea that you are really not good enough as a doctor, that you are more of a liability than a blessing (Yes, we doubt ourselves sometimes).And you sturggle too when patient's relatives , and even colleagues accuse you of not trying hard enough. It hurts.

So to all those making jokes about this death, saying that his village people have got him, that why cant he make himself happy.....it is not as easy as you think. Medicne is a rewarding job, but it can drain the life out of you. No....it will drain the life out of you. Sometimes, you will womder how you can go on one more step, how you can continue, how you have to be an angel all the time

Yes, doctors are depressed. According to a study 27% of doctors are depressed. Yes....we are human too. We fall sick. We get depressed.And we do not admit it...even to ourselves. We lie to ourselves....till it gets worse...and then the unthinkable happens.

As a medic who sometimes feels down, one thing that keeps me up is the fact that I have to be there for my patients. THinking about others can be a great depression releiver. Jesus did talk about the benefits of being a servant. Perhaps that servanthood aspect of being a medic is where we may yet find our salvation....somehow.

I think I can relate to all u have said, but believe me, suicide isn't the best option. Knowing Christ and been happy in Christ is a saving grace we have. Trust in God always and know that no condition is permanent!!! May God bless u with His unending grace.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by biggie73(m): 1:13am On Mar 20, 2017
Folks with little mind will always end it before God's appointed time. Suicide is not the way out of any crisis.
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by Nobody: 3:44am On Mar 20, 2017
Awww, that's very sad.
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by NkayTiana(f): 4:32am On Mar 20, 2017
Sorry baby...see d stress
9jakohai:
Depression

Modified

In reading some of the comments here, I see a lot of jokes and a lot of funny comments, so let me explain to you all why that doctor jumped, and why he was that depressed to jump.

Many medical students face a lot of pressure from the time they decide to read medicine. It starts at unviersity. You are suddenly reading tough courses, and most of the time, you have no idea of what you are doing. The amount to read is too much, and the time to read it is too little. Your professors and lecturers expect much from you, your family expects much from you, and somehow...after the first three years of preclinical studies, you pass...and it is on to the next three years of clinical studies.

But then you go to the clincal side...and it is as if the pressure increases. You are expected to not only master plenty more stuff...you are also expected to take part in managing real live patients. And the thing is, there are many patients who come to hospital that will die. Many will die of some of the most horrible diseases known to man. I can still recall seeing a young woman my age, when I was in 400 level , dying from HIV. Someone my age...dying from HIV. Or the time I watched a father die in front of his fifteen year old son....and in that moment I watched as a young boy became fatherless in minutes. After a while it gets to you, this constant train of death in the clinics, of suffering in the clinics, of pain, hurt and fears. And added to that is your own academic fears, then, after 3 years of that, you graduate.

Then you become a house officer, and then a resident. Your responsibilities increase. You begin to see more and more patients come in, whom you diagnose with illnesses that in some cases cannot be cured. Or you struggle to take care of a very sick patient, like the time I was responsible for a baby as a house officer, who was very sick and who despite the best efforts of the medical team, died. And what;s sad about the case was that if the child had survived, it would have been severely disabled for life. Meanwhile, you struggle against poor equipment, against lack of facilities, bad working environemnt, and the idea that you are really not good enough as a doctor, that you are more of a liability than a blessing (Yes, we doubt ourselves sometimes).And you sturggle too when patient's relatives , and even colleagues accuse you of not trying hard enough. It hurts.

So to all those making jokes about this death, saying that his village people have got him, that why cant he make himself happy.....it is not as easy as you think. Medicne is a rewarding job, but it can drain the life out of you. No....it will drain the life out of you. Sometimes, you will womder how you can go on one more step, how you can continue, how you have to be an angel all the time

Yes, doctors are depressed. According to a study 27% of doctors are depressed. Yes....we are human too. We fall sick. We get depressed.And we do not admit it...even to ourselves. We lie to ourselves....till it gets worse...and then the unthinkable happens.

As a medic who sometimes feels down, one thing that keeps me up is the fact that I have to be there for my patients. THinking about others can be a great depression releiver. Jesus did talk about the benefits of being a servant. Perhaps that servanthood aspect of being a medic is where we may yet find our salvation....somehow.

Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by zheroes(m): 4:58am On Mar 20, 2017
I have experienced depression before but never to the point of taking my own beçause the process of dying isnt sweet. try strangling yourself and imagine the pain? anything that causes me depression i let it go, itß not by force to be a doctor . thats the height of loss of self belief!!
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by lebienconnu: 5:13am On Mar 20, 2017
I always tell people to do anything that makes them happy so far it does not make other people unhappy. Sometimes one has to unhook oneself from the shackles of religion to do this. Suicide is never an option.

Abi he wanted to take a pee and slipped ni. Even as a medical student I know about depression and how to handle it. How much more of a medical doctor that stands in the position to treat patients suffering from it. Something in me does not align with the suicide theory.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by ben1daEbiri(m): 6:33am On Mar 20, 2017
9jakohai:
Depression

Modified

Baba your analysis is good but let me ask:Do you think it's only medical students that have difficult courses to study?Are they also the only ones who are pressured to succeed?what about engineers?They should also be depressed na because every now and then,houses collapse here and there,plane crashes and car accidents are also rampant;Then what about the marine and petroleum engineers?Bros don't make it seem like it's only medicine that's frustrating,no field is a piece of cake,just that some are alot easier than others!

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by Firstcitizen: 6:37am On Mar 20, 2017
9jakohai:
Depression

Modified

Not just Doctors, nurses are even more prone to depression. The fact this guy was coming from church might be a pointer that he probably did not undertand what was happening to him and was seeking spiritual help

1 Like

Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by karnap(m): 6:55am On Mar 20, 2017
SOME ONE FATHER OO.
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by Nobody: 7:25am On Mar 20, 2017
ben1daEbiri:
Baba your analysis is good but let me ask:Do you think it's only medical students that have difficult courses to study?Are they also the only ones who are pressured to succeed?what about engineers?They should also be depressed na because every now and then,houses collapse here and there,plane crashes and car accidents are also rampant;Then what about the marine and petroleum engineers?Bros don't make it seem like it's only medicine that's frustrating,no field is a piece of cake,just that some are alot easier than others!

Haba now, slow down bros.

I tailored my post towards the medical doc experience largely because the original story was about a doctor.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by bakila: 7:43am On Mar 20, 2017
ben1daEbiri:
The chap does not know that lawyers earn a fifth of what their juniors in the univeristy earn when they become house officers. The deceased way of looking at life is in the extreme.
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by Snow5(m): 7:50am On Mar 20, 2017
9jakohai:
Depression

Modified

God bless you.... GOD bless all doctors!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by Omooba77: 8:58am On Mar 20, 2017
zheroes:
I have experienced depression before but never to the point of taking my own beçause the process of dying isnt sweet. try strangling yourself and imagine the pain? anything that causes me depression i let it go, itß not by force to be a doctor . thats the height of loss of self belief!!

May you never get to that level my brother; is it only Doctor that commit succide. Lots of people are going through; that is why intake of alcohol and substances are on the increase.
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by onyxo76(m): 9:25am On Mar 20, 2017
9jakohai:
Depression

Modified

you said it all Bro I have learnt to keep patients troubles out of my life by the grace of God. Once I get out of my consulting room only my line accessible to family members comes on, the general one goes off, drop all the cases on my desk though it's not easy but one has to learn to stay alive.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by Nobody: 9:34am On Mar 20, 2017
For God sake what is this world turning into, someone jumped into a lagoon, the only thing some knock heads could do is to bring out their phones to video it. They don't even care about saving his life.
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by TheTega(m): 9:34am On Mar 20, 2017
Did this guy watch the latest episode of Chicago Med before doing this
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by Alirauf(m): 12:04pm On Mar 20, 2017
soberdrunk:
Someone cannot just park his car and go for a quick swim? angry
abi oo 4rm thr enter heaven.
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by pretty16(f): 12:45pm On Mar 20, 2017
LastMumu:

Xterra not X-trail, olodo. grin

Lol! This one you guys are just calling yourselves olodo, that's too harsh ooo. Just wanted to clear the air. There is Nissan Xterra and there's also Nissan X-trail. I know the picture can not be an Xterra so it's definitely the latter. But let's be sensitive pls. A life was lost. RIP to the dead. And may God grant his family the strength to bear the loss.
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by OdaNobunaga(m): 1:15pm On Mar 20, 2017
alexistaiwo:
As those bloodthirsty Japanese will say See better man commit suicide with honor.
Waiting for PSG manager Emery and the coach of the team below to follow suit.
After all what is their importance in the land of the living

what will the coach of this useless team then do?

Germany - Oberliga Rheinland-Pfalz/Saar

Hertha Wiesbach 25:0 SpVgg Burgbrohl
18-03-2017
undecided
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by An0nimus: 3:48pm On Mar 20, 2017
9jakohai:

Well,most doctors don't do abortions by the way....some do, but most of us in Nigeria don't.

Interesting. May I ask why?
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by An0nimus: 3:53pm On Mar 20, 2017
NkayTiana:
Sorry baby...see d stress

Are you his mum? tongue
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by Alekefine(f): 4:23pm On Mar 20, 2017
9jakohai:
Depression

Modified

My daughter is bent on studying medicine, and I have been trying to discourage her because she is too emotional and I really don't want her to go through life without a career fulfilment, then again I don't want to choose a career for her .how do I go about it,,cos for me medicine is a No No.I need help on this issue urgently cos JAMB is around the corner.thanks
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by LupusMinor(m): 4:44pm On Mar 20, 2017
Please where is the "love" button on nairaland when u need it?! This guy couldn't have echoed my sentiments more eloquently!!! Kudos brother by profession. Many times I've almost chickened out but I irrevocably get drawn back in cuz of my love for it cuz the remu station is crap anyways considering the number of hours put in. What's worse is the insults and indignities that accompany the practice of medicine in this here country. God help us all... Kudos again brother. And keep fighting the good fight. God bless you...

9jakohai:
Depression

Modified

Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by Nobody: 4:58pm On Mar 20, 2017
Alekefine:
My daughter is bent on studying medicine, and I have been trying to discourage her because she is too emotional and I really don't want her to go through life without a career fulfilment, then again I don't want to choose a career for her .how do I go about it,,cos for me medicine is a No No.I need help on this issue urgently cos JAMB is around the corner.thanks

Well, I cannot decide for you or your daughter...but some personal perspective.

I myself am a bit emotional (get weepy easily sometimes, even though I am a male) but by the grace of God and by the support of others , I was able to survive medicine.

It was not easy though. There were a few times when I had to send for the parents , and there were times when I had to ask someone to pray for me, or else I would have been broken.

I guess, eventually, if your daughter reads medicine, she would learn a very important lesson....that it is ok to acknowledge your weaknesses, and it is ok to seek support.

Because, ultimately, I am not worried about her emotional issues...is she ready to seek support when she needs it and from the right people?

Let her read medicine....but let her too also join a good fellowship(I am not sure of your religion...but join a religious fellowship of your own religious beleif), let her make good friends(I strongly suggest she make friends with the class brains...the people who do well) and let her cry too.

Because it is ok to cry when you see death, destruction and the whole ill luck of medicine....have a good cry, and then wipe your tears, get up and move on to the next case.Better she cries, than hides it, and refuses to talk about it.

But I am not that experienced a doctor...so I will add that she seek advice from an experienced medic. Preferably a Consultant.Before writing that Jamb.

Good luck.
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by Alekefine(f): 9:57pm On Mar 20, 2017
9jakohai:

Well, I cannot decide for you or your daughter...but some personal perspective.

I myself am a bit emotional (get weepy easily sometimes, even though I am a male) but by the grace of God and by the support of others , I was able to survive medicine.

It was not easy though. There were a few times when I had to send for the parents , and there were times when I had to ask someone to pray for me, or else I would have been broken.

I guess, eventually, if your daughter reads medicine, she would learn a very important lesson....that it is ok to acknowledge your weaknesses, and it is ok to seek support.

Because, ultimately, I am not worried about her emotional issues...is she ready to seek support when she needs it and from the right people?

Let her read medicine....but let her too also join a good fellowship(I am not sure of your religion...but join a religious fellowship of your own religious beleif), let her make good friends(I strongly suggest she make friends with the class brains...the people who do well) and let her cry too.

Because it is ok to cry when you see death, destruction and the whole ill luck of medicine....have a good cry, and then wipe your tears, get up and move on to the next case.Better she cries, than hides it, and refuses to talk about it.

But I am not that experienced a doctor...so I will add that she seek advice from an experienced medic. Preferably a Consultant.Before writing that Jamb.

Good luck.
Thanks a bunch Doc,this is quite insightful.God increase you in wisdom, knowledge and understanding in Jesus name Amen
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by Nobody: 10:09pm On Mar 22, 2017
missdebs:
aye le o ibosi o

Wetin e mean abeg..
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by ultron12345: 7:26am On Mar 23, 2017
na johesu causam
Re: Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) by Nobody: 5:27am On May 31, 2019
Splendid. So clean. sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Eyes & The Vagina Don't Need Cleaning Up Regularly / 8 Diseases A Prostitute Can Give You The Last Can Kill You In Days / Doctor Delivers Woman Of 1.8kg Baby And 9.8kg Massive Fibroid. Graphic Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.